• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It would be nice if Nintendo could actually tell us something about the Fighter Pass

volbound1700

Smash Master
We still have 80% of the Fighter Pass that is not known and they expect people to buy it? They should have revealed at least a character or two by now.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Be patient. Information will come eventually. I believe that we'll get an announcement next month when they release the 3.0 update.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I agree. They could have revealed all the characters then and there (or at least given clues, like X from this company, Y from this one)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I know they want to surprise us and that's all fun and good, but I can't make an informed purchase without a bit more info. At the very least, we should have seen how Joker plays by now. For now, I'll just wait and see before I buy anything, for all I know, I may only like one or two dlc characters and just get them separately.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
They did reveal a character? Joker was a fighter pass reveal character. They straight up said in the announcement video they understood buying the pass at face value without info was an act of faith. Hence why buying the pass is cheaper than buying the fighters individually.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo likes their secrecy. They'll announce the Fighter's Pass characters in their own time. TBH I'd much rather they wait until they have gameplay to show; I've hated having to wait to actually see Joker in the game, lol. A part of me would've preferred if they had waited until they had gameplay ready to show before announcing him.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They did reveal a character? Joker was a fighter pass reveal character. They straight up said in the announcement video they understood buying the pass at face value without info was an act of faith. Hence why buying the pass is cheaper than buying the fighters individually.
Acknowledging a scummy practice does not make it any less scummy. They're still making money off people without telling them what they're buying or when they'll get it.

Polan

Smash Lord
Acknowledging a scummy practice does not make it any less scummy. They're still making money off people without telling them what they're buying or when they'll get it.
it's sakurai, 99% percent chance that the DLC is gonna be high-quality and on time regardless of the characters picked. unless you are one of those weirdos who get pissy about a specific character getting in, in which case, tough luck and don't bother buying the pass.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
it's sakurai, 99% percent chance that the DLC is gonna be high-quality and on time regardless of the characters picked. unless you are one of those weirdos who get pissy about a specific character getting in, in which case, tough luck and don't bother buying the pass.
Despite the fact that I am indeed one of those weirdos (thanks for the concern!), the fact remains that it's not OK as a business tactic. There's no reason why people should have blind faith in a product they don't know the specifics about. Sorry if you are, but other people prefer not to waste their money on things they don't like.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Despite the fact that I am indeed one of those weirdos (thanks for the concern!), the fact remains that it's not OK as a business tactic. There's no reason why people should have blind faith in a product they don't know the specifics about. Sorry if you are, but other people prefer not to waste their money on things they don't like.
Then don't buy it. I don't see why it's a problem. If you're pre-purchasing the pass, you're an adult that know what you're getting into.

Smash has a great track record on quality and most people aren't too picky about character choices.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Then don't buy it. I don't see why it's a problem. If you're pre-purchasing the pass, you're an adult that know what you're getting into.

Smash has a great track record on quality and most people aren't too picky about character choices.
Well yeah, I didn't buy it, but it still kinda sucks to see Nintendo dip into some shady practices, given they've one of the most spotless records in the industry. If you'll take whatever you get, then by all means, buy the pass, I'm not bemoaning that.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Wait, why are we complaining about the Fighters Pass now? I get people are antsy for new content to be announced and such, but it’s also just a pretty standard practice in the industry and one of the least scummy things we have these days.

They sell it so people can buy content now and not worry about it later. You’re actively subscribing to a season of content, hence the season pass. And much of that content is still in development or will be developed later on. It’s also incredibly poor decision making to reveal everything at once.

You tell the consumer what type of content they would be getting, not the exacts. In something like Smash, you want to build hype for characters and make them an event when they make it in. It helps renew interest in the game and potentially position people to buy content. Yes, that’s a business move. But if they’ve told you the type of content you’re getting, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with a season of content. You’ve got the same concept with season tickets to sports games. You’ve got no guarantee of how games are going to turn out, but you know you have games on certain dates. If you’re interested enough by that or know that you’re going to anyway, than a season pass is perfect. Plus it saves you some money and makes Nintendo naturally happy with up front cash to work with and expressed interest in their product.

But again, people should only buy it if they’re certain about wanting any character that comes, and not on the faith that a specific character that they want will come...

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I fancy we'll learn something by E3. That said, I'm not impatient. Whether someone leaks the remaining fighters or Nintendo beats them to the punch, I'm still buying the Fighter's Pass, since I already like what's in it. I wasn't even expecting Ultimate to have DLC, so really, this is just a bonus for me.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I agree. But just seeing Joker as our first fighter already gives me a pretty good idea of what the rest of the pass will be like and I'm glad I didn't blindly throw 20 bucks at it lol.

Well yeah, I didn't buy it, but it still kinda sucks to see Nintendo dip into some shady practices, given they've one of the most spotless records in the industry.
Locking content behind limited print toys that get bought up by scalpers is one of the most scummy things in the industry and Nintendo has been doing that for years now.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I agree. But just seeing Joker as our first fighter already gives me a pretty good idea of what the rest of the pass will be like and I'm glad I didn't blindly throw 20 bucks at it lol.

Locking content behind limited print toys that get bought up by scalpers is one of the most scummy things in the industry and Nintendo has been doing that for years now.
The only example I know of is Metroid Samus Returns locking hard mode behind an amiibo. Which, yeah, I agree, it's bull****, but without any other examples I can't really say it's prevalent.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
The only example I know of is Metroid Samus Returns locking hard mode behind an amiibo. Which, yeah, I agree, it's bull****, but without any other examples I can't really say it's prevalent.
Well there's also the Trial of the Wolf in Twilight Princess HD along with dozens of weapons and outfits in Breath of the Wild.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well there's also the Trial of the Wolf in Twilight Princess HD along with dozens of weapons and outfits in Breath of the Wild.
Oh yeah that's right. Kinda ****ty too.

Personally though, in a world of microtransactions, loot boxes and gachas, I don't really feel that it's one of the scummier practices. But, it doesn't justify it or lessen its importance.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The problem about the fighters is that gamers of multiple generations play Smash and we have different characters that we know or that are special to us.

My top preference would be a second Sonic the Hedgehog character or more cartoony type characters like Rayman, Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, and Banjo Kazooie. I don't want RPG or sword fighting characters from games I don't have any desire to play. So I wasn't really thrilled at all about Joker since I literally had never heard of the character until he was announced. When I first heard it, I instantly thought Batman's villain.

Now if Smash was to go big, they would do Tails, Masterchief, Sora, Doom Guy, and Rayman. You are getting high profile characters similar to Pacman, Sonic, Megaman, etc. I wouldn't mind that either because most generations of games would know and respect those four other characters above. In fact, I think it would bring new people to Smash like the Halo fanbase for example.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
The problem about the fighters is that gamers of multiple generations play Smash and we have different characters that we know or that are special to us.

My top preference would be a second Sonic the Hedgehog character or more cartoony type characters like Rayman, Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, and Banjo Kazooie. I don't want RPG or sword fighting characters from games I don't have any desire to play. So I wasn't really thrilled at all about Joker since I literally had never heard of the character until he was announced. When I first heard it, I instantly thought Batman's villain.

Now if Smash was to go big, they would do Tails, Masterchief, Sora, Doom Guy, and Rayman. You are getting high profile characters similar to Pacman, Sonic, Megaman, etc. I wouldn't mind that either because most generations of games would know and respect those four other characters above. In fact, I think it would bring new people to Smash like the Halo fanbase for example.
I also have zero interest in playing as Joker. I had never even heard of Persona until I had to look up who this reveal character was. But I have faith the other characters will be interesting. There are plenty of characters I don’t normally play as in smash (and some who I firmly believe don’t belong in the lineup - Ken and Ricter, looking at you) but I got the pass because I play the game with my friends a lot. And I want the full roster available for us when we do play. I want to be able to experience the full game. Could I end up disappointed? Possibly. But I’d rather not miss out on top notch content that I know Smash Bros guarantees.

I don’t blame you at all for not purchasing it. I understand completely.

That being said. I hope the next fighters are not Master Chief or Tails or Sora. That would certainly wind up disappointing me greatly.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Actually, the standard Hard Mode is still usable in Samus Returns without an Amiibo. The amiibo actually unlocks Fusion Mode, a much harder mode.

SKX31

Smash Master
Oh yeah that's right. Kinda ****ty too.

Personally though, in a world of microtransactions, loot boxes and gachas, I don't really feel that it's one of the scummier practices. But, it doesn't justify it or lessen its importance.
*Looks side-eyed at old arcades locking extra lives and continues and asking for extra quarters.*

I don't think it's particularily a feature of today's environment as much as it's purely and simply human psycology and getting as much mileage out of something as possible. If (lets go with the hypothetical scenario*) the NES had our times' Internet you'd betcha that a siginficant number of NES and other 80s games would've had microtransacttions, loot boxes and gachas. Probably stuff like the olden "Pay more for extra lives!" or "Pay more for extra stuff!" we know from mobile games, but I could see lets say lootboxes if NES sports titles like Tecmo Bowl had today's Internet connectivety and matchmaking. Praying to get Bo Jackson before patches nerf him.

And you betcha there'd be a lot of people complaining about microtransactions as we understand them especially. Currently trying to find evidence of people from that time (1980s or so) who complained about quarter-munching arcade games** but I would not rule that out.

*(Yea, I'm aware that the Net pre-1991 was just Usenet and other very local embyros., limited to univeristies. There are some really interesting discussions from that period, though.)
**Given the time period, my initial guess / hypothesis would be parents complaining about their kids going to the arcades.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I also have zero interest in playing as Joker. I had never even heard of Persona until I had to look up who this reveal character was. But I have faith the other characters will be interesting. There are plenty of characters I don’t normally play as in smash (and some who I firmly believe don’t belong in the lineup - Ken and Ricter, looking at you) but I got the pass because I play the game with my friends a lot. And I want the full roster available for us when we do play. I want to be able to experience the full game. Could I end up disappointed? Possibly. But I’d rather not miss out on top notch content that I know Smash Bros guarantees.

I don’t blame you at all for not purchasing it. I understand completely.

That being said. I hope the next fighters are not Master Chief or Tails or Sora. That would certainly wind up disappointing me greatly.
Actually, I still went ahead and got it. I didn't like Bayonetta but I learned to live with her. I am sure there will be at least 1-2 characters that I like.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
*Looks side-eyed at old arcades locking extra lives and continues and asking for extra quarters.*

I don't think it's particularily a feature of today's environment as much as it's purely and simply human psycology and getting as much mileage out of something as possible. If (lets go with the hypothetical scenario*) the NES had our times' Internet you'd betcha that a siginficant number of NES and other 80s games would've had microtransacttions, loot boxes and gachas. Probably stuff like the olden "Pay more for extra lives!" or "Pay more for extra stuff!" we know from mobile games, but I could see lets say lootboxes if NES sports titles like Tecmo Bowl had today's Internet connectivety and matchmaking. Praying to get Bo Jackson before patches nerf him.

And you betcha there'd be a lot of people complaining about microtransactions as we understand them especially. Currently trying to find evidence of people from that time (1980s or so) who complained about quarter-munching arcade games** but I would not rule that out.

*(Yea, I'm aware that the Net pre-1991 was just Usenet and other very local embyros., limited to univeristies. There are some really interesting discussions from that period, though.)
**Given the time period, my initial guess / hypothesis would be parents complaining about their kids going to the arcades.
Well yeah, obviously it's a consequence of the internet's existence and the possibilities that it brings. I don't think anyone would claim that the business practices of today are solely due to some innate aspect of 2010s people.

Though, I'm not sure why you think there's anything bad about coin-op arcade machines charging to play? That's literally just a game charging to be played.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Well yeah, obviously it's a consequence of the internet's existence and the possibilities that it brings. I don't think anyone would claim that the business practices of today are solely due to some innate aspect of 2010s people.

Though, I'm not sure why you think there's anything bad about coin-op arcade machines charging to play? That's literally just a game charging to be played.
It's on a case by case basis, just like today's microstransactions (and how much people are willing to tolerate - varies). Really, I'd personally draw the line at games using copious amounts of fake difficulty - and then demanding cash for either extra attempts at that segment / lives or extra stuff that makes the speed manageable or allows you to skip the segment with fake difficulty.

I do believe we'd have the same discussions if 64 or Melee had DLC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom