• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It Is Upon Us: New Details On 20XX Tournament Edition Announced

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Dan Salvato, formerly known as InternetExplorer released information and a trailer today via Mew2King's Twitch Channel providing more details on the 20XX Tournament Edition mod for Super Smash Brothers Melee. It has many new and exciting features, and I was able to sit down and talk to Dan and ask some specific questions about the mod and his thoughts on it as well. Welcome to 20XX Tournament Edition!

20XXTE will be free to copy and distribute as well as open source. In another major advancement, 20XX Tournament Edition will be work using a single file that can be run on any Gamecube or Wii with nothing but a memory card. This means no hacking of any kind will be required. A preloaded Gamecube memory card with also be available for sale.

There are not the only exciting new things the mod has to offer. Some of the exciting new features include extended name entry, where you can press X for lowercase characters, saving replays of your matches, the ability to choose your menu music, a stage striking feature, Frozen Mode, and the brand new play mode Taunt Battle.

Taunt Battle is a new special mode only available for play with 20XXTE. Players must taunt successfully to get points, and taunts can be stopped part way through by attacks. You can also steal taunts from the opponents as well by using Mario's cape. The first team to get 5 points wins the match!

The inspirations behind taunt battles? "My friends and I came up with it several years ago and would play it, keeping track of the score ourselves. One night I realized "Wait, I can actually code this" and did so (in exchange for a night of sleep). It might seem like a dumb game, but you wouldn't believe the strategy, teamwork, and mindgames that make Taunt Battle more hype than you would ever think. I would absolutely love to see it in side events, and I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do."

From something more fun to something a little more serious, another exciting feature to look forward to in 20XXTE is Frozen Mode.

Introducing: Frozen Mode: Where The Hazards Are Off And The Points Still Matter!

Frozen Mode will allow players to disable Shy Guys on Yoshi's Story, wind on Dreamland, transformations on Pokemon Stadium, and background transitions on Final Destination just by clicking Y from the character select screen. What does this mean for the possibility of more legal stages with the removal of hazards? "I technically have the capacity to do a lot of things with them, such as disable lava on Brinstar." Dan said. "I even have the capacity to design entirely new stage layouts by rearranging the platforms on Battlefield, etc. But, there's a reason I'm not doing this for release. I don't want to see 20XXTE make huge changes to the Melee meta. Nobody really does. For the players who have put hundreds of hours into the game, how would they feel if there were suddenly all these new, unfamiliar stages legal in their tournaments? I need to consider the scene as a whole and not simply go crazy with the possibilities. At the very least, I'd like to start with a conservative approach and slowly add more features as we see demand for them."

Screenshot Of 20XXTE

Tournament Organizers can be particularly excited for all of the features coming in Tournament Mode. Tournament Mode with disable all intrusive aesthetic and/or mechanic changes, make all stages spawn players in neutral starting locations, have a 16:9 widescreen mode on and off switch, be able to lock settings to avoid mid tournament tampering, and to be able to choose between the v1.00 and v1.02 hitlag mechanics.
"There are several versions of Melee in circulation that have some differences, with v1.02 (the newest) being the most common and v1.00 (the oldest) being second most common. In v1.00, attacks that do less than 1% damage have no hitlag whatsoever, meaning the opponent cannot SDI them. This affects some multi-hit moves such as Samus' upB and Young Link's grounded upB. In v1.02, these attacks became SDIable, meaning they're incredibly easy to escape and almost useless as an attack. Some Samus players even carry around a v1.00 disc and swap it in before their tournament set. There has never been a widely-enforced standard regarding what version to use. Now that you can change the hitlag behavior in the settings, TOs can pick one for all their setups."

For any Tournament Organizers worried about the possibility of the game breaking down during a tournament set while using Tournament Mode, Dan assured me it has been rigorously tested to guarantee performance. For those worried about the possible legal status of the mod, Dan has this to say as well: "If TOs are not including PM for political reasons, then they most likely won't want to include 20XXTE. But from a legal standpoint, 20XXTE is 100% legal. No game files, original or modified, are distributed in any way. Every change is written from scratch and distributed in a way that requires no console modification and no ISOs, USB loading, or game file distribution of any sort."

Truly this is a very exciting announcement for the Melee and the modding community at large. Keep your eyes peeled until August 2015, but for those who are too excited and impatient even to wait for that Dan will also be "introducing a closed beta for TOs in May". To stay tuned to all of the exciting developements on 20XXTE be sure to check out their website and look here on Smashboards for reports on any major updates.

SmashCapps wonders how the mode to train with l-canceling with work with Mr. Game and Watch. Follow him on Twitter to discuss all of the exciting happenings behind 20XX Tournament Edition.

Last edited:

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
I heard a rumor that SD Remix would also be available as a separate mode in 20XXTE... Is this not true? I'd really love to see it happen.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
"This video has been removed by the user."

Well sh*t... I guess it wasn't ready yet.

Last edited:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
This is actually really exciting, wonder if we'll actually start seeing this at majors. I personally doubt it, but it's an interesting prospect that we should embrace.

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
AT LAST!!! A NEW ERA HAS BEGUN!!!!

Ever since I saw the Proof of Concept video, I could only imagine how wonderful it would be if such a thing were possible, but it is actually here!! It's a reality!!

A Melee mod as prestigious as 20XX able to run on vanilla Gamecubes with only built-in Memory Card copying required for distribution!!!
Could anyone have imagined this to be possible?!

The convenience of distribution is mind-blowing!!
The content is already astounding!!
The whole thing is simply incredible!!

May the name Dan Salvato be forever remembered in Smash history!!

Last edited:

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
I don't play melee competitively but this is cool. Music choice was very meh (doesn't matter too much, music is subjective) but otherwise good trailer.

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Wouldn't removing the wind in Dreamland and removing transformations on Pokemon Stadium actually seriously affect the metagame? It might not be anything major, but the stage transformations do especially affect the course of a game, do they not? And I know that wind can be beneficial to recovery.

Again, Frozen Mode probably won't affect all that much, but it would still change up how Melee games run to an extent, right?

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
If there ever comes a time where the barrel in DK 64 is removed and the stage becomes legal, I will be SO happy :)

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I don't have a memory card and my melee disc is broken, I assume and hope I'll still be able to run this through homebrew with SD and USB. Otherwise, looks ****ing incredible.

@ Keeseman Keeseman I don't think frozen mode will be used in tournaments, but I could be wrong.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Wouldn't removing the wind in Dreamland and removing transformations on Pokemon Stadium actually seriously affect the metagame? It might not be anything major, but the stage transformations do especially affect the course of a game, do they not? And I know that wind can be beneficial to
Wind doesn't impact characters while they're airborne, actually.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Not only is this hype, but this trailer is amazingly made and actually got me hyped just watching it, which doesn't often happen when watching smash promos.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
So do we have to buy memory cards with 20XXTE on it, or can we put the files on a memory card ourselves? I'm dumb.

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
Super hype for 20XXTE!!! This is way up there with Project M for me....at least for hacking hype.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Give mute city grabable ledges and remove cars. New favourite legal stage.

Being serious though, new legal stages that are neutrals would be awesome. Could really benefit characters that suffer from top platform camping.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
If there ever comes a time where the barrel in DK 64 is removed and the stage becomes legal, I will be SO happy :)
I thought it was not legal because it's too big (circle camping) and some characters blend into the background

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I would be pissed if frozen mode was legal. Legal stages with transformations and hazards adds a nuance to the game and meta that should not be taken away.

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Wind doesn't impact characters while they're airborne, actually.
lol. Well, obviously I don't watch Melee closely enough; I totally though it did, my bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe then Frozen Mode won't matter so much. It'll probably affect the way PS is played, making matches on the stage a bit more predictable, but otherwise wouldn't change too much. I'd like to see it being experimented with and tried out in smaller tournaments before possibly affecting the meta, kind of like Dan was saying.

Top Bottom