• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It feels like I'm cheating by playing Ike

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
I've previously played other characters that I while I can do damage I can't kill very well with. Whereas with Ike I'm accidentally killing foes. Should I stick with Ike?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Play whoever you like best. There is nothing wrong with playing Ike since he has his own set of flaws that opponents can exploit.

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
Its not about "being cheap" its that maybe I should work on my weaknesses

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There's nothing wrong with playing a character who suits your prefences or covers your weaknesses. That's part of why the roster is so big, so everyone can find a character who suits them for whatever reason. You aren't "cheating" for picking a character who works for you.

Heck, I can kind of struggle to kill with some characters myself. That's part of why I became a Charizard main.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Firstly, I don't think you'll have to worry about being "cheap" or anything, it is the opponent's fault that they run into your kill moves. Secondly, I highly recommend sticking with Ike because he really helps with learning spacing and neutral, or otherwise improving it, if you already established a decent neutral.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Being able to kill off of stray hits or capitalizing on tiny mistakes is kind of the whole modus operandi of heavyweights, much like how being able to put up a lot of pressure but struggling to actually secure the kill before very high percents is a common trait of lightweight rushdown characters. I would actually argue that as far as heavies go, Ike isn't very representative of this trait, since his mobility is lacking, his attacks don't individually deal all that much damage for a heavy despite the knockback on stuff like Uair and Ftilt, and his smash attacks are extremely slow and punishable, making him rely heavily on his aerials to keep enemies out. His Fsmash and Usmash somehow managed to be slower, smaller, laggier, and weaker than Ganondorf's new counterparts, if you really wanted a character that feels like he lands kills by "accident", but if you actually play Ganondorf you also really feel how that sort of character is balanced in the roster when he eats projectiles all day long and can't escape combos very easily.

Last edited:
Top Bottom