• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isai Not Being At SSC

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
Is anyone else kind of sad that Isai didn't show up to the first ever SSC? I mean I know he's in retirement for SSB right now but still--you would think he'd show up for at least the very first one... :crying:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
He isn't really interested in tournaments anymore at this point. After over ten years of attending tourney after tourney you can hardly blame him either. Recently Karajan asked him what it would take to get him to enter a tournament and he responded that he would go to a tournament if it was at his house.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Whatever. This is a non-issue. He is retired, period. I hate that, but it is reality and in the interest of the game I will and have been saying it repeatedly.
Also I think it`s pretty offensive or disrespectful to Boom to not acknowledge him as the current SSB Grand Champion.
I mean, the title of this thread could have gone on accurately for almost ever...Apex, Zenith, Cali events, etc.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Is anyone else kind of sad that Isai didn't show up to the first ever SSC? I mean I know he's in retirement for SSB right now but still--you would think he'd show up for at least the very first one... :crying:
This tourny wasn't anything special outside of the big prize money I think.

We didn't even have any strong OoC players outside of boom.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
This tourny wasn't anything special outside of the big prize money I think.

We didn't even have any strong OoC players outside of boom.
it was special in that it was the best run tourney i have ever been to. The venue was HUGE with lots of cool con related stuff to check out. And maybe most importantly 64 was treated like an actual event rather than a side event. Top 5 had an amazing crowd like nothing i have seen before for 64, and even top 16 or so had a really big crowd as well. There were no ooC players cuz no one wanted to go to a tourney they had never heard of before and no one really knew if it was gonna be any good yet. Now that it has happened i truly hope that next year's SSC becomes the MAIN tourney for international players to attend. My main complaint was that we weren't allowed to stream anything (everything got recorded tho) other than what was on the main stream so it wasn't as good for people trying to watch, but as for actually being there it was amazing.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Bah. This is not an attitude in my wheelhouse.
Any and all SSB64 events are gifts from Sakurai or Jesus or Buddha or Allah or whoever you pray to (personally for me it`s the Great Kirby in the Sky, but I digress) and should be attended by all alleged 64 players, unless they are dead.
I mean nationals, I mean regionals, I mean weeklies. This game is incredible, and we are the players.
Ready To Fight!

edit: OoC means Out of Country? Banze, the Mexicans, hell, the Peruvians.

Last edited:

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's all good to hear, but there was no way of telling how it'd have gone. I wasn't expecting much after all the talk about having a favorable schedule for us yet getting slapped with 9am pools. Not being able to stream on friday also sucks when we're trying to get exposure for ourselves (no one really cares about watching youtube vids unless it's Isai playing). Sounds more like the tournament wasn't **** therefore it was special.

But yeah sounds like it was ran well. Looking forward to how big the next SSC will be for 64 now that it sounds like it's legit.

Maliki

Smash Ace
I think it didn't get a lot of entrants or out of country players because it was only the first. Plus there wasn't a lot of time to give it notice. They announced it like two months before it happened.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's all good to hear, but there was no way of telling how it'd have gone. I wasn't expecting much after all the talk about having a favorable schedule for us yet getting slapped with 9am pools. Not being able to stream on friday also sucks when we're trying to get exposure for ourselves (no one really cares about watching youtube vids unless it's Isai playing). Sounds more like the tournament wasn't **** therefore it was special.

But yeah sounds like it was ran well. Looking forward to how big the next SSC will be for 64 now that it sounds like it's legit.
i get what your saying, and i do hope some improvements are made for next year, but like i said now that it has happened and everyone has seen how good this tourney was, i expect this to blow up in entrants for next year and hopefully more top players as well

Studstill

Smash Ace
Combo I think you underestimate how amazing it was to play with randos. Like, the skype/Kaillera people were Gods among mortals, as opposed to top 8 being gods among just us. I hope this makes sense.

All things aside:
Why the **** would anyone ever go to Apex again?
The goddamn hotel ceiling collapsed and was in general under renovation, because this was cheaper.
It was on Super Bowl weekend, because this was cheaper/
I personally drove 5 hours just to help people stranded 40 minutes away from their hotel room because it was just expected that everyone had an extra 80$ for multiple shuttle rides, of which all were overloaded.
I personally ripped about 8 people new assholes over the latter, and was responded to in two cases with, from "STAFF", I **** you not:
"This is not my problem, I don`t care, **** you I`m just here because this is all a pyramid scheme to harvest money from the community."
**** Apex.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
YO EVERYONE GO TO THIS NEXT YEAR

Justin really, really gives a ****. It's obvious how much he cares about smash and especially about us. There are improvements to be made but I have no reason to believe the SSC staff won't be receptive to suggestions and that next year won't be the greatest **** ever.

Sedda

Smash Champion
This is essentially what apex has been trying to be for years.

Early bracket is pretty ****ty, but this ran so smoothly. If I had to choose between this and ape****, SSC all the way..

Shears

Smash Master
Considering every game had to wake up that early it's really not that bad. There also wasn't any other time slot where 64 could fit on main stage. Would you rather have 9am bracket on main stage or 1pm bracket with no stream at all?

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, definitely not just us that had to wake up early, just the nature of scheduling that many events. I had a great time, looking forward to next year.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Waaaaah we had early pools one day. This doesn`t even make the list of things to ***** about. As long as we choose to associate with Melee etc for reasons I suppose are apparent and currently rational, we will continue to have a few non-ideal timed matches.
This is not what I would even call a complaint, but more a fact of the matter. I still give Shears, Justin, and SSC 11/10.

Meister Zeigler

Smash Apprentice
Yea honestly SSC was hype AF for every single game, and it's only going to get bigger! Can't wait to see what next year brings and hopefully i'll be able to make it there this time!

Last edited:

Draixen

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1435-6088-9054
I like how this started as "Where was Isai?" and transformed into SSC praising.
Honestly I was a bit upset he wasn't there, after just now getting into competitive 64 and watching countless videos of the top players including him, I was kind of hoping to have a run-in with that gorgeous man. Upsetting to hear he's retired, but I get his reasoning. :T
Aside from Isai, SSC was amazing and really rejuvenated my passion to git gud with 64. This was my first 64 event and first big Smash event period, and after meeting all of you beautiful people, playing some friendlies, getting bopped, and witnessing the glorious group that is the 64 community I can't wait to see you all again. Thank you to every single one of you beautiful people, and I'm looking forward to next year!

Last edited:

malva00

Smash Master
Tournaments are not appealing to me. I'd rather go and just play outside of it (you do not have to play in a tournament to play SSB), but I am sure most people would have a problem with that and be offended or something (waits for comments lol).

Last edited:

GeeDee_

Smash Rookie
Honestly, there really is no good way to spin it.
Yeah it's 100% fine that isai didn't come, but there really isnt any way to avoid the questions from the masses. The biggest thing I heard from people at SSC (namely people who don't strongly keep up with 64) was "If he shows up and plays it's free money"; etc etc etc. Not even considering the competition boom, kero, or just about anyone could bring to the table. I think for a lot of people who are outside of the loop, 64 = isai, and that's all it really means. There isn't anything deeper than that to a good number of people.

Getting away from that, SSC was an awesome time. I've never been fortunate enough to have any kind of 64 event within a decent distance from me, and after being shown that I can at the very /least/ take some stocks, it's definitely given me a better drive to do a little more traveling, go a little farther to make it to the little events there are, so on and so forth. Definitely gonna be registering for next years as soon as it goes up, and hopefully I can see some of the same faces at more events until then.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Tournaments are not appealing to me. I'd rather go and just play outside of it (you do not have to play in a tournament to play SSB), but I am sure most people would have a problem with that and be offended or something (waits for comments lol).
Nobody has to be forced to play in tournaments but I can guarantee you that you will never get 154 players to pay all that money to travel to one location just for friendlies.

malva00

Smash Master
Nobody has to be forced to play in tournaments but I can guarantee you that you will never get 154 players to pay all that money to travel to one location just for friendlies.
I do not think I have ever played that many people at a tournament lol. I wonder what the record is.

Also, I would probably have a better time playing 1-2 really good people than 100 okay people. Nothing against people who are still learning.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
I do not think I have ever played that many people at a tournament lol. I wonder what the record is.

Also, I would probably have a better time playing 1-2 really good people than 100 okay people. Nothing against people who are still learning.
Time to learn how to play ssb with your feet for an extra challenge

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Lol honestly im going to weeklies just to play friendlies and chill w/ everyone, smashcon had a lot of downtime, I think you would have liked it

Compatible

Smash Cadet
I think we should compare isai to tiger woods:

Both are considered to be the GOAT for their respective sports by the majority. However, Isai has not (yet) been caught banging everything that moves, and gone down an emotional roller-coaster. Woods is past his prime as every tournament he enters, he makes excuses such as his glutes not activating, acts a fool and loses. So stop looking for excuses from Isai and respect his decision to walk away while he's regarded as being the best. Champions don't make excuses. The game should (needs) to be fun & enjoyable for the player first. No player should ever be guilted into providing entertainment for the fans.

lol

Last edited:

malva00

Smash Master
Also, I am not sure why there are a bunch of people saying the word "retired." That sounds depressing lol.

There have been plenty of stretches since SSB came out where I did not play much. The difference is there were no tournaments so there were no crazed fans to shout such depressing words. This is a natural cycle, like a river that runs dry every now and then lol.

SSB > tournaments, although I am not as eager to play randoms as I may have been in the past. I have been procrastinating when it comes to getting car insurance. I think I am paranoid about spending money sometimes O_O when I should not be.

So possibly Mariguas and some others are coming over to play me labor day weekend. Also Chris Smith may be coming down to San Jose this month. I told him I would make time for him.

Shears

Smash Master
Also, I am not sure why there are a bunch of people saying the word "retired." That sounds depressing lol.

There have been plenty of stretches since SSB came out where I did not play much. The difference is there were no tournaments so there were no crazed fans to shout such depressing words. This is a natural cycle, like a river that runs dry every now and then lol.

SSB > tournaments, although I am not as eager to play randoms as I may have been in the past. I have been procrastinating when it comes to getting car insurance. I think I am paranoid about spending money sometimes O_O when I should not be.

So possibly Mariguas and some others are coming over to play me labor day weekend. Also Chris Smith may be coming down to San Jose this month. I told him I would make time for him.
Retired is just the easy way for saying you don't care about tournaments anymore. Instead of telling every casual or having to explain on stream why you're not at a major by saying a million and one things and digging into your personal life, its just easier to say one simple word "retired". People get it, it answers questions people have, its a commonly understood word that is popularly used among players that aren't that active. Your tournament attendance is equal to that of a retired player so you can now be equated to the retired status. Not happy with it, then answer every casual with a detailed explanation. Or just attend tournaments. If these are things you don't like doing then accept the retired status. Its not a bad thing, it doesn't mean you hate ssb or don't play it anymore, it simply means you do not attend tournaments whether those reasons are laziness, money, apathy towards competition. Doesn't matter why, the label of retired answers all that.

Dizzle

Smash Cadet
If this happens, can you please record as much of this as possible?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Sometimes you just lose the drive. It may be temporary and it may be permanent who knows.

I haven't had the motivation to go to an OOS tourney since Apex 2014.

In the end it's just a game in the grand spectrum of life so it's hard to be too judgmental. Also Isai has traveled for ssb64 more than all of us combined so he's certainly done his time.

Even though he doesn't enjoy the limelight he's often thrust in, Isai has been great exposure for this game over the years. We should be grateful for his contribution. And while we would certainly love to see him back at some point our community is doing fine without him. We'll just keep soldiering on and do our best to keep the community alive so he has something to come back to eventually, if he so chooses.

Maliki

Smash Ace
Totally agree with sheer madness. After a while you get bored lose the motivation to play or whatever so you take a break. Some pick it back up after a while others don't.

malva00

Smash Master
"taking a break" is more suitable
Yes listen to Sedda, smart guy. That sounds better.

Also, 95% of North America is not very good. I am not going to travel far just to make everyone who only cares about my skills or wants to see how many stocks they can take off me be happy. I have played many good players over the years a good amount of times, so I am not starving for games or competition as much as some people here.

If Mariguas and co come through, I have some decent players coming my way soon. No fancy tournament needed.

Last edited:

malva00

Smash Master
"see how many stocks they can take off me" lol
Yes, and then there are the people who are like "oh man I got 40%; see if you can beat that [insert friend's name here]." It felt good being in Peru because when I lost I did not hear that or maybe my Spanish comprehension was not good enough? lol. When they beat me you get the feeling of "whatever we are all good here we win and lose."

I am not talking about everyone here though. A lot of the good players here do not make a big deal of it.

Top Bottom