• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isabelle officially joins the fray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Worth pointing out that Animal Crossing has outsold most other Nintendo series, including most of those in Smash. It makes Mother, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, and even Star Fox and Metroid look weak.

In fact, NO Nintendo title has outsold New Leaf since its release except the two mainline Pokemon titles. (when counted as combined pairs)

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
She’s only in to advertise new game, shes popular in a very small circle, dont try to compare her to actual ballot characters pls that’d just be silly
Nah, that's FE's gig right there (especially Roy and Corrin at the time; I would gamble if DLC is possible, probably a new Lord based on the game coming for the Switch; a bigger gamble if it's another sword user). Quite a lot of people knew her from New Leaf (obviously not Smash-only people from what I can tell but Nintendo isn't only made of Smash Bros fans from what I remembered either). Also, ballots are more like a rough guide than a strict primer. The fans may request something, but it's Nintendo's/Sakurai's call at the end of the day to make it happen or not (or AT).

Last edited:

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
The sad thing is, it's the haters who are always louder than the grateful, more silent majority.

If I were Sakurai, I'd simply walk away after releasing this masterpiece of a game. Some people just can't be pleased. Literally implying they are owed more reveals to appease them and 'hold them over'.

Dark2020

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinion, I love Isabelle's inclusion and intend on maining her

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't suprised she's in, but really surprised she is not an echo...
She is not a hype character for me, but I really like her inclusion and will definetly try here out. She seems a little bit like a semi-clone, which makes sense and perhaps reduces her development time, so I'm ok with this.
Regarding her being worth an unique fighter, there is no doubt she has the popularity and potential. She is the face of Animal Crossing, even more than :ultvillager: right now, and continues the philosophy for inclusions in this cycle, although she might be more of a recent popularity pick like :ultinkling: and not that high on the ballot...

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Oh and as for the haters, now you know how people who support Fire Emblem characters feel, so welcome to the club.

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
Oh and as for the haters, now you know how people who support Fire Emblem characters feel, so welcome to the club.
Imight not be the biggest fan of FE, but the hate it gets is ****ing annoying...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean Mario and Pokemon has way more yet don't see any hate going to those. Then again those are among Nintendo's biggest and most recognizable franchises. That's probably why.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Imight not be the biggest fan of FE, but the hate it gets is ****ing annoying...
Speaking of undeserved hate, I think the reason Isabelle is getting so much is due to many reasons surrounding the circumstances of her reveal, rather than solely her being in. She had a lot going against her for those not already supporting. She had probably the most boring newcomer trailer so far (not even a whole lot of gameplay), she's not a huge superstar game changer like we've had so far, and I think that point specifically is just getting people scared because Sakurai blatantly stated that we're not getting many newcomers, and finally, in combination with all that is the fact that we got nothing else for Smash. I think if we had gotten another trailer or even just a tiny segment dedicated to Smash, the hate wouldn't be as rampant. I guess it's understandable, but I don't think Isabelle should be used as a scapegoat. Just my overly wordy take.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
She’s only in to advertise new game, shes popular in a very small circle, dont try to compare her to actual ballot characters pls that’d just be silly
oh, you mean like roy was back in melee... and now look at fire emblem, it's got one of the largest groups in the game.

all you're doing here is provoking people, it sounds like... if you don't care for isabelle, then move along, staying in this topic just to insult the character, the game she's from, and the people who love them, is highly unnecessary.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Animal Crossing did not need 2 reps. Ah well what are we going to do.....it is what it is. I’m pretty disappointed and now we wait another announcment. She’s basically a Dr. Mario. Semi clone who doesn’t add much to the game. Now that I got my bitterness out of the way. Congrats to those who wanted this.
Animal Crossing DID need more fighters, it's one of the most important and successful franchises at this point.

She's her own character and has unique specials unlike Dr. Mario. She's just as hype as previous newcomers for a lot of people and definitely add more than echos.

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Ever had something appear that you never knew you would like until it happened? She came out of left field for me but looks really fun, cute, and more interesting than villager. Could be a new main for me alongside Wolf.

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
So let me get this straight:
People would freak out from pleasure if Geno / Isaac where announced, whose relevance is 0 in the current gaming landscape (lets be serious here and put off your tainted fanboy glasses).

But announcing a Character from the very successfull Animal Crossing Series, that was highly request by several fans from the Animal Crossing series, that has a lot of detail (those animations, so cute <3 ), is not even a 1 to 1 echo fighter but instead a semi clone and people are all like "what is this ****, total waste of a character slot"?

I am no fan of Animal Crossing, I don't like playing as Villager but I am still happy that fans of the Animal Crossing Series got more representation (and well done, too). It's just fair in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
So let me get this straight:
People would freak out from pleasure if Geno / Isaac where announced, whose relevance is 0 in the current gaming landscape (lets be serious here and put off your tainted fanboy glasses).

But announcing a Character from the very successfull Animal Crossing Series, that was highly request by several fans from the Animal Crossing series, that has a lot of detail (those animations, so cute <3 ), is not even a 1 to 1 echo fighter but instead a semi clone and people are all like "what is this ****, total waste of a character slot"?

I am no fan of Animal Crossing, I don't like playing as Villager but I am still happy that fans of the Animal Crossing Series got more representation (and well done, too). It's just fair in my opinion.
I agree with you, what's even more baffling to me is, if you want old-school characters included, there are much bigger names out there than Geno and Isaac. I don't get the hype for these two. Why not Chrono for instance? Or even Mega Man X?

Oddball

Smash Lord
Speaking of undeserved hate, I think the reason Isabelle is getting so much is due to many reasons surrounding the circumstances of her reveal, rather than solely her being in. She had a lot going against her for those not already supporting. She had probably the most boring newcomer trailer so far (not even a whole lot of gameplay), she's not a huge superstar game changer like we've had so far, and I think that point specifically is just getting people scared because Sakurai blatantly stated that we're not getting many newcomers, and finally, in combination with all that is the fact that we got nothing else for Smash. I think if we had gotten another trailer or even just a tiny segment dedicated to Smash, the hate wouldn't be as rampant. I guess it's understandable, but I don't think Isabelle should be used as a scapegoat. Just my overly wordy take.
I think the hate she's getting is from her being announced alone. If she had been announced at the same time as Daisy, Ridley, or Simon Belmont, I don't think anyone would be raising a fuss.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
She should have been an echo fighter and announced during the direct alongside another one so we could have multiple things to hype about. Unless, of course, that echo fighter is Shadow (God forbid). Yes I know Animal Crossing sells well. So did Metroid. Now look at it. Comparing it to series that Nintendo has pulled the plug of effort from is bad.

My main issue is that Animal Crossing isn't even a fighting game. Having two characters in the game that fight and KO others is almost a poor way of demonstrating Animal Crossing as a whole. Isabelle as an assist trophy/tour item was probably the best way of doing to because she was trying to help you.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Let me preface this by saying that I've never played Animal Crossing, have no attachment to any of its characters and was possibly the least hyped I've ever been during that trailer. That said...

...we've been given King K. Rool, Ridley and the Belmonts already, with Dark Samus on the side. It's not as if the rest of us aren't being catered for. We all complained when we perceived the Smash 4 roster to be unbalanced, so it seems a little hypocritical to get angry that the exact same thing isn't happening here in the opposite direction.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Let me preface this by saying that I've never played Animal Crossing, have no attachment to any of its characters and was possibly the least hyped I've ever been during that trailer. That said...

...we've been given King K. Rool, Ridley and the Belmonts already, with Dark Samus on the side. It's not as if the rest of us aren't being catered for. We all complained when we perceived the Smash 4 roster to be unbalanced, so it seems a little hypocritical to get angry that the exact same thing isn't happening here in the opposite direction.
The Belmonts weren't even in anyone's thoughts until the leaks began. Thank god they did, otherwise I would have been confused during the direct.

Yes Smash 4's roster was completely unbalanced. But we only have 9 newcomers so far, and only 3 of them have reached maximum hype-tential.

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
People are just mad because they were expecting their favorites to be announced.

Menta

Smash Rookie
I'm an Animal Crossing fan, but the idea of Isabelle joining Smash wasn't all that exciting to me. I didn't really get why people wanted her and what she could do. I mean, she's cute, but she's just a secretary and she's never seen handling any tools, let alone fighting.

I gotta say though... She's just too damn adorable, and her moveset looks fantastic. Well, I don't know that she'll be good, but the animations and everything ; that's just top notch. I love it so much. I'll definitely try her out when the game comes out.

Last edited:

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Animal Crossing DID need more fighters, it's one of the most important and successful franchises at this point.

She's her own character and has unique specials unlike Dr. Mario. She's just as hype as previous newcomers for a lot of people and definitely add more than echos.
Fair enough. I have no emotional attachment to this franchise so it’s only my opinion. Like I said, congrats to those who wanted her in the game. I still got plenty to be excited for character announcement wise.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
AC getting another fighter makes plenty of sense. It's a fairly long-running series (been around since the N64) that's reached mega-popularity recently with New Leaf and only had a single character to its name. While I would've preferred Tom Nook to Isabelle, Isabelle surfed a similar wave of popularity over the last several years to the point where she was one of the only third-parties to be playable in Mario Kart 8 (alongside Inkling and LINK).

I've never agreed with the "not a fighter" accusations, either. Smash is meant to be a celebration of Nintendo all-stars, not just their strongest characters going toe-to-toe. Falcon, Game & Watch, ROB, Villager, Wii Fit, Rosalina and Duck Hunt already set a precedent that star power is enough to elevate a character to playable status, even if they're not known for combat.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I think the reason why I am not as excited is because she got announced on her own. There wasn’t a whole lot of hype to go off of. :ultkrool: was announced with many well wanted characters including :ultsimon: and :ultchrom:. This direct in terms of Smash Ultimate news was just for Isabelle and nobody else.

Another Semiclone

But thank the lord almighty she's not Shantae.
Also, I would have loved Shantae.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I've never agreed with the "not a fighter" accusations, either. Smash is meant to be a celebration of Nintendo all-stars, not just their strongest characters going toe-to-toe. Falcon, Game & Watch, ROB, Villager, Wii Fit, Rosalina and Duck Hunt already set a precedent that star power is enough to elevate a character to playable status, even if they're not known for combat.
This is very true!

But still doesn't explain Isabelle's inclusion :p

She's only been added to advertise a new AC title. A clone-ish character getting their own reveal trailer (the most underwhelming one of all time)? They must have tried hard to give her a proper moveset and just couldnt lol.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Everyone keeps saying she's a semi-clone, but I don't think she is. I'd say she's more different from Villager than Lucas is from Ness, as most of her normals are different, as are most of her specials. She only shares the pocket and the Up-B (though it seems to behave differently). The Lloid mine and Fishing Rod are totally unique.
She has the same dash attack and grab as Villager, too. She's about as unique as Lucas is to Ness, and that's not a bad thing. I'm glad she's not an echo fighter.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
This is very true!

But still doesn't explain Isabelle's inclusion :p

She's only been added to advertise a new AC title. A clone-ish character getting their own reveal trailer (the most underwhelming one of all time)? They must have tried hard to give her a proper moveset and just couldnt lol.
Honestly, she was going to be included regardless of a new AC or not since she's becoming a staple to the AC series. Initially, most of us would think it was going to be an echo, but Sakurai wanted to take it a step further. Doesn't mean she took anyone's spot though. That's on people hyping themselves too hard on that.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Honestly, she was going to be included regardless of a new AC or not since she's becoming a staple to the AC series. Initially, most of us would think it was going to be an echo, but Sakurai wanted to take it a step further. Doesn't mean she took anyone's spot though. That's on people hyping themselves too hard on that.
Oh I dont think she took anyone's spot, as I've stated I knew she'd be included, she isn't an echo but it also seems like she didn't require much work in terms of moveset so that's good.

Dibble

Smash Cadet
I'm quite frankly dissapointed by how butthurt most of the community seems to be. This wasn't even a Smash-focused Direct, and chances are good we'll be getting another Smash Direct in October AND November. Honestly it's better they got the most underwhelming reveal out of the way here, rather than a more intense Smash event. We all know there's still more content to be revealed anyways, so whatsitmatter?

First of all, I thought a lot of you were saying stuff like "Wow the roster is perfect as it is already! Anyone else is just a bonus!". What happened to that? Is everone just mad because their prediction list was off?
Secondly, she borrows a lot from Villager. Not just moves, but also his model skeleton and a few attributes. I doubt she would have seriously taken much development time away from any other character. On the other side of things, why are people dissapointed she's NOT an echo? Aren't more varied movesets generally a good thing, or am I taking crazy pills?
Thirdly, so what if she's not a popular smash bros fandom pick? I thought people were finally starting to all agree it's interesting when Sakurai goes out of his way to include "surprise" newcomers. Besides, she IS quite popular, especially to the apparently dreaded casual audience who might not have been as interested in Ultimate's newcomer selection up till this point. I mean there isn't anything wrong with trying to market a game a little more, right?

There's no point in being this petty about ONE (1) newcomer when we were just given K. Rool and freaking Ridley. We can all wait a little more; I'm sure we'll see some more fan favorites later down the line.

Last edited:
Alright we got gang banger's that turn into squids, We got a pirate space dragon, we got vampire hunters, we got a pirate king crocodile, we got..... a little puppy girl.
I really thought she was coming in as an echo. As some one that's only played one animal crossing and doesn't care about the franchise at all, this is a very disappointing pick. It also bothers me that they showed Tom Nook right after; because I thought at least we were getting him as an echo since they were putting all that extra work into a character that could have easily worked as an echo.
Had to quote this. I’m sorry, but did you say inklings were gangbangers? lol idk bout that one man.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, I don't understand why people seem so upset with Isabelle's inclusion. Even if you don't like her, or if you don't like Animal Crossing at all, you can't deny the fact that Animal Crossing as a series is quite popular, as is Isabelle, so can't you just be happy for the Animal Crossing and Isabelle fans? I personally wanted to keep Isabelle as an Assist Trophy (because, well, she IS an assistant, it's literally what she does), but I'm still happy that she's here, mostly for her fans. And she looks pretty fun to play too. We don't need all super edgy badass newcomers. Isabelle has more than earned her spot on the roster, whether you like it or not.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle's inclusion makes perfect sense and is certainly not just an advertisement or some random unwanted character.

She is the face of Animal Crossing, a game with only one rep and one of Nintendo's top 5 series in popularity if not top 3. The series is huge - AC Switch doesn't need Smash's help (if anything, Isabelle might add a little appeal for people not generally interested in Smash). And this is hardly the first non-AC game Isabelle has appeared in. She was in Mario Kart and even Monster Hunter, and Animal Crossing's official Twitter account with 200k followers is from her character. On top of that she's a female character and a modern one, two things Smash is a little short on.

If you're not excited about Isabelle, that's fine. I'm not particularly hyped for her myself, though I'll see how I enjoy playing her. But from the standpoint of her importance to Nintendo, she certainly belongs in the game, possibly more than any other character that hadn't been announced yet.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
if she wasn’t a cute dog, I could see her being a hated meme character with how she puts all types of restrictions on you.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I mean Mario and Pokemon has way more yet don't see any hate going to those. Then again those are among Nintendo's biggest and most recognizable franchises. That's probably why.
Are we going back to this thread now?

I agree with you, what's even more baffling to me is, if you want old-school characters included, there are much bigger names out there than Geno and Isaac. I don't get the hype for these two. Why not Chrono for instance? Or even Mega Man X?
Or Vaati... nobody remembers Vaati...

People are just mad because they were expecting their favorites to be announced.
This. So much this.

I'm quite frankly dissapointed by how butthurt most of the community seems to be. This wasn't even a Smash-focused Direct, and chances are good we'll be getting another Smash Direct in October AND November. Honestly it's better they got the most underwhelming reveal out of the way here, rather than a more intense Smash event. We all know there's still more content to be revealed anyways, so whatsitmatter?

First of all, I thought a lot of you were saying stuff like "Wow the roster is perfect as it is already! Anyone else is just a bonus!". What happened to that? Is everone just mad because their prediction list was off?
Secondly, she borrows a lot from Villager. Not just moves, but also his model skeleton and a few attributes. I doubt she would have seriously taken much development time away from any other character. On the other side of things, why are people dissapointed she's NOT an echo? Aren't more varied movesets generally a good thing, or am I taking crazy pills?
Thirdly, so what if she's not a popular smash bros fandom pick? I thought people were finally starting to all agree it's interesting when Sakurai goes out of his way to include "surprise" newcomers. Besides, she IS quite popular, especially to the apparently dreaded casual audience who might not have been as interested in Ultimate's newcomer selection up till this point. I mean there isn't anything wrong with trying to market a game a little more, right?

There's no point in being this petty about ONE (1) newcomer when we were just given K. Rool and freaking Ridley. We can all wait a little more; I'm sure we'll see some more fan favorites later down the line.
I'm also rather bewildered by all the bile being spewed about. I mean, seriously, come on. Why are you hating on the cute little doggy?

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Then just say they're "gangsters" haha. Gangbanging has a specific and nasty meaning...
The term Gang Bang originated when street gang's started shooting each other in open areas usually killing innocent bystanders. That's why people call untrained unorganized street thugs Gang Banger's. Words can have many meanings. I still used it appropriately, but were way off topic now.

The term Gang Bang originated when street gang's started shooting each other in open areas usually killing innocent bystanders. That's why people call untrained unorganized street thugs Gang Banger's. Words can have many meanings. I still used it appropriately, but were way off topic now.
I was thinking about that term lol. But as someone who lives in a gang riddled neighborhood, with people literally dying in the streets nearly every day due to violence and drug abuse, saying that these cartoon characters represent that feels as if you are appropriating a cultural issue, specifically for me, in the black community, or any other realm of ethnodiverse confrontation. It’s sonething that shouldn’t be put lightly, and just believing one can just simplify something complex and act as one understands, when they clearly do not, is to me what the United States has done for several hundreds of years; emulating and taking advantage of intercultural norms while not supplementing the culture they’re derived from. Such as how black features on women are popularized in media, while actual black citizens are malnourished, unemployed, and live in crime ridden cities in country induced systematic racism.

So yeah, you can get technical and say you used the term correctly, but at the sake of demeaning and actual issue. I have to sleep next door to the people they let out of prison due to the institution of prison street cycle. I can’t say that you do, but I could be wrong. Your knowledge of what gangbanging entails is text book at best.

I’ve actually been banged on as well so there’s that lol

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I was thinking about that term lol. But as someone who lives in a gang riddled neighborhood, with people literally dying in the streets nearly every day due to violence and drug abuse, saying that these cartoon characters represent that feels as if you are appropriating a cultural issue, specifically for me, in the black community, or any other realm of ethnodiverse confrontation. It’s sonething that shouldn’t be put lightly, and just believing one can just simplify something complex and act as one understands, when they clearly do not, is to me what the United States has done for several hundreds of years; emulating and taking advantage of intercultural norms while not supplementing the culture they’re derived from. Such as how black features on women are popularized in media, while actual black citizens are malnourished, unemployed, and live in crime ridden cities in country induced systematic racism.

So yeah, you can get technical and say you used the term correctly, but at the sake of demeaning and actual issue. I have to sleep next door to the people they let out of prison due to the institution of prison street cycle. I can’t say that you do, but I could be wrong. Your knowledge of what gangbanging entails is text book at best.

I’ve actually been banged on as well so there’s that lol
You didn't have to launch into a tirade to explain that Inklings being labeled as gangsters rubbed you the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom