• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isabelle Moveset Analysis

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, I wasnt sure about her down b mine, for it it was remotely detonated, but it really seems like it is, or can be. I've never seen it shoot up from very far away, isabelle's always been close to it when it happened, but I would guess distance shouldn't matter... I just havent seen it used afar yet.

Also, I dont know if this was mentioned but isabelle can tether recover with her fishing rod :O
So her recovery is actually better than villagers :)
But the rod doesnt work on shielding, so it's not fully a command grab, and is pretty situational.

Last edited:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I noticed that Isabelle always appears to use two turnips with her up air and down air. Maybe she doesn’t have the randomiser?
You're right she only summons two turnips for her down air and up air.

Also about the Gyroid Mine it only sets off if you step on it right? Because I heard it goes off if you jump over it as well not sure if that is true or not.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You're right she only summons two turnips for her down air and up air.

Also about the Gyroid Mine it only sets off if you step on it right? Because I heard it goes off if you jump over it as well not sure if that is true or not.
I though i saw 3 at one point but not sure tho, i havent seen 1, anyway.

You can detonate the gyroid mine, i've seen it done even when she's in the air (dont know what happens if there's no mine, probably nothing). Unless im missing something., but no one was near at some points, She does a little animation when she sets it off.

Last edited:

KinoKönigin

Smash Rookie
I noticed that Isabelle always appears to use two turnips with her up air and down air. Maybe she doesn’t have the randomiser?
Actually upon further inspection, I think Isabelle uses 3 for her down air and 2 for her up air

Mon311

Smash Rookie
Looking at the treehouse footage, it definitely seems like dair is two turnips. Same with up air. Which makes sense because otherwise it would just be straight up better than villagers if it was always 3.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Isabelle's fishing pole is interesting. It can grab items on the ground too.

It can hook on the way out, I think, but most of the time hooks a character or item when you release--and the hook is on the way back.
What's interesting about that is that it really is like fishing, the timing matters when you pull back. :)

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
The lloyd trap proximity seems kind of inefficient. I think characters with great run speeds can just run over it and avoid the automatic launch when it takes that long to become a hitbox. It's a good thing she can launch it manually, but that seems like a considerable weakness against those sorts of opponents when it doesn't stop grounded approaches for free.

sneaky818

Smash Rookie
Anybody know if her Fair and Bair is different from Villager's? From what I've seen they look about the same. Also, her jump seems faster and heavier. Like she reaches her peak faster compared to Villager. I was hoping to dualmain Villager and Isabelle, this could take some time to get used to if this is true.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Alright, since you guys don't have this here yet...here's M2K's live analysis of Isabelle:

Here's something I'd like to discuss:
From this video we see that Isabelle can manually launch the Lloid by pressing down B. I am wondering if she'll be able to plant the Lloid, grab someone with the fishing rod, and be able to either a) press down B during the fishing rod move to activate the Lloid, or b) have enough time after the fishing rod throw to chain the throw into a Lloid confirmed hit. Hopefully this works so that Lloid can get the kill at high %s. I can see this being especially effective on stages with a high center platform with Lloid embedded in it

Edit: Do you guys think that Jab is as bad as it's made out to be in that video? I wonder if you can actually mash it (and if that person in the video wasn't executing it as fast as they could have)

Last edited:

KinoKönigin

Smash Rookie
I think her jab is a good tool to get confirms as it looks like the endlag on the move is nonexistent. Also, I want to see more use of Isabelle’s fishing rod offstage, I’m wondering if you can use it’s down throw to spike

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think her jab is a good tool to get confirms as it looks like the endlag on the move is nonexistent. Also, I want to see more use of Isabelle’s fishing rod offstage, I’m wondering if you can use it’s down throw to spike
I havent seen a down throw from the fishing rod. Maybe there isn't one. Even if there was, it'd be pretty hard to catch someone safely going off the stage :p
Could be worth exploring if it's a thing tho.

Jab seems to be a quick poking tool when up close, which isn't bad if grab is slow.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Regarding the fishing rod, I think that I have seen a forward throw and a back throw (with a vertical angle) so far. But during the direct, there's Isabelle move-list, and it says that you can tilt up or down to throw in those directions. I don't know if those inputs will in fact throw forward or backward (remember that it almost throw upward).
isabelle.jpg

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Some Isabelle combos i found by testing on level 9 attacking fire emblem Roy in training mode at zero percent

- Down throw into dash attack

-up tilt into f tilt or you can connect into u tilt again

-falling fair,bair into dash attack

-falling Nair into jab combo

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dont know where this has been talked about, but fishing rod has a short range and a long range. the long range works like a smash attack for how you input it, and it goes very far :)

Haven't tested for combos, but im still playing quite a few characters, so i havent experimented as much with isabelle yet.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Isabelle's fishing pole is interesting. It can grab items on the ground too.

It can hook on the way out, I think, but most of the time hooks a character or item when you release--and the hook is on the way back.
What's interesting about that is that it really is like fishing, the timing matters when you pull back. :)
I dont know where this has been talked about, but fishing rod has a short range and a long range. the long range works like a smash attack for how you input it, and it goes very far :)

Haven't tested for combos, but im still playing quite a few characters, so i havent experimented as much with isabelle yet.
A Isabelle player was able to grab me with side b during my recovery(u p b) back to t he stage and and threw me to score a ko.talk about "fishing for a kill" .

Last edited:

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
A Isabelle player was able to grab me with side b during my recovery(u p b) back to t he stage and and threw me to score a ko.talk about "fishing for a kill" .
The fishing rod has some great interactions with bouncing people off the bottom of the stage, too (when you can stand far enough towards the center). Seems great for gimping characters with poor recovery range, or characters who rely on tether recoveries. I've been messing with our Simon player a little with it. Not too certain about the consistency but it definitely seems worth throwing out there as an edge guard at low percents.

Top Bottom