• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isabelle Moveset Analysis

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I might be in a race against other characters for getting this out, so I'll happily have this locked if anyone beats me to it. Now then...

Isabelle's moveset. I'm typing this and analyzing in between typing, so there might be some slip-ups. I will also be listing them in order of appearance in her first trailer.

Dash Attack: Comes out frame 4. Goes a longer distance than Villager's.

Down Smash: Comes out frame 5. Doesn't seem to have as much range as Inkling's, but I might be wrong.

Side Smash: Comes out frame 3. Seems to have some decent range, even if it hit Mario at point blank.

Side-B: A fishing rod with what looks to be immensely long, like Corrin's Side Smash or Simon's whip. See trailer 2 for more.

N-air: Comes out frame 4. Doesn't seem to have much range. Unless I'm mistaken, lasts for 51 frames without hitting someone.

Down-B: Isabelle looks to plant a Lloyd Rocket into the ground, blending Villager's Side- and Down-B's. Functions similarly to Snake's mines, but rockets upwards and hits multiple times before exploding. Could be used as a good edge guard tool. Can be remotely triggered.

Up-B: Isabelle sits in what looks like a swing being held by 2 balloons. Unlike Villager's looks like it doesn't require mashing to get higher.

Up-Smash: Comes out frame 4 and functions similarly to Palutena's Up-Smash. The difference here is range, obviously, only outstanding Sonic by a a little bit.

And that's all I've got for the first trailer. Now onto the second.

Up-tilt: Comes out frame 8. Has some decent range for an Up-tilt.

Side-B (Supplimental): It looks like it comes out frame 11. And it looks like Isabelle can hold the fishing rod out until the bob grabs someone or the button is released. Can be used as a tether, but doesn’t work against shields.

Down-B: Can't get much out of this one here. Sorry.

Grab: At first I thought the Fishing Rod was the grab, but it turns out this is the grab. Same as Villager's, nothing special.

Neutral B: Same as Villager's, nothing special.

Final Smash: Same as Villager's, nothing special. Only difference is that it's a town hall instead of a house.

And that's all from me. What else have you guys got for me? Sound off below.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I have to wonder how you're so certain about which move goes with which input.

zferolie

Smash Hero
are we sure that stop sign is an up smash? like Sonic was completely stopped by it and took no damage... i feel like it could be a side b? and that planting a gyroid could be snakes old down smash, though there is the bucket for the down smash...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
are we sure that stop sign is an up smash? like Sonic was completely stopped by it and took no damage... i feel like it could be a side b? and that planting a gyroid could be snakes old down smash, though there is the bucket for the down smash...
I’m certain. The bucket looks to be the Down Smash (You can tell by the sparkle above her), and from what I could tell the party popper is her Side Smash. So that boils it down to the Stop sign being the Up Smash, as made evident by the sparkle that you see before its Summoned. And I can certainly see what you mean about the Gyroid. I mean, I thought that that fishing rod was her grab, but I thought, “Nah, that would be too powerful!” and confirmed my suspicions with the butterfly net. So I think the Gyroid would be too powerful for a Down Smash.

D

Deleted member

Did we catch a F-Air at all? Do you think she has Slingshot too?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yeah, all these seems to be correct guesses! The sign seems to basically be Villager's smash, but one hit only.

I'm really excited for the fishing rod. A command grab with range? Can be interesting when you are off stage, especially if the recovery is as good as Villager!

Can maybe work as a tether recovery too.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I’m certain. The bucket looks to be the Down Smash (You can tell by the sparkle above her), and from what I could tell the party popper is her Side Smash. So that boils it down to the Stop sign being the Up Smash, as made evident by the sparkle that you see before its Summoned. And I can certainly see what you mean about the Gyroid. I mean, I thought that that fishing rod was her grab, but I thought, “Nah, that would be too powerful!” and confirmed my suspicions with the butterfly net. So I think the Gyroid would be too powerful for a Down Smash.
OK. well she certainly feels luigi levels of "clone" unique A moves and B moves, but also some copy A and B moves.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Also, I believe that the plastic hammer is either a side-tilt, or maybe a jab? Side-tilt for me, but we'll see that.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Also, I believe that the plastic hammer is either a side-tilt, or maybe a jab? Side-tilt for me, but we'll see that.
I was just about to ask the same think. Seems like a side tilt, which is different then Villagers too right?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
EDIT: Dangit! Beaten to it! But yeah, looking at it, it certainly looks like a side-tilt to me.

Last edited:

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
we didn't see the stop sign hit anyone, so i'm honestly feeling like it could just be a taunt.

also i'm pretty sure that frame data in the op is wrong (there is no way that all of her smashes have 5 or less frames of start up)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
also i'm pretty sure that frame data in the op is wrong (there is no way that all of her smashes have 5 or less frames of start up)
Probably didn’t help that I was going Frame-By-Frame on YouTube, so, yeah.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
we didn't see the stop sign hit anyone, so i'm honestly feeling like it could just be a taunt.

We've seen clapping, dancing and that other taunt where she points toward the sky. According to the visual effects, Stop Sign is definitely a smash, and makes sense as an Up-Smash.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Probably didn’t help that I was going Frame-By-Frame on YouTube, so, yeah.
I think the reveal video isn't 60fps, so probably why the numbers are off. Her preview video in the site is, however.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
hopefully her jab is the same as villagers, considering villager got it from her to begin with.

edit: huh. here's a picture that showed up about two weeks ago on 4chan. could be fake.
1536920726546.png

Last edited:

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Personally, I think the lloid rocket will be upsmash, and this odd stop sign thing will be a down special.

The way the stop sign appears has no upward motion..... has me guessing otherwise.
Maybe its Fsmash? or F-tilt?

(And the fireworks can be f-tilt if its an f-smash??? idk)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think the animation of her blowing her whistle with stop sign is a taunt

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think the animation of her blowing her whistle with stop sign is a taunt
It looked like that to me, but some people are saying there was a little smash star so they think it's up-smash.
Either way, as long as it's a good smash, it's fine, but could just be a taunt.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
Several folks have replied to me saying they believe the sign is merely a taunt. I hope not as that is the one thing that would make her really stand out moveset wise (well, + the fishing rod as a command grab that lets players grab players returning to ledge). The video put in my mind the cool idea for the sign's use. It stops you aka freezes aka stuns if you're moving too quickly within a short range of it. Or if you pass it, a strong auto-attack happens (like a counter that's not based on hitting Isabelle but just on entering a "do not enter" zone.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Several folks have replied to me saying they believe the sign is merely a taunt. I hope not as that is the one thing that would make her really stand out moveset wise (well, + the fishing rod as a command grab that lets players grab players returning to ledge). The video put in my mind the cool idea for the sign's use. It stops you aka freezes aka stuns if you're moving too quickly within a short range of it. Or if you pass it, a strong auto-attack happens (like a counter that's not based on hitting Isabelle but just on entering a "do not enter" zone.
the sign is definitely her up smash. all her specials and taunts are accounted for, as well as her other smash attacks, and it has all the visual cues of a smash attack.

just because sonic stopped moving in the trailer (and it's pretty clear that he just stopped moving. Roy's neutral B doesn't turn Falco into a roast chicken either) doesn't mean that's the special ability of her stop sign. It's just an up smash with a cute animation.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm wondering if we have seen all the taunts though. Clapping and dancing obviously are, but I'm starting to think that when she raise her hand, it's to activate the Lloid mine. After all, Kirby isn't touching it in the trailer but it flies anyway.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
She seems to have good range and coverage for a small fighter with stubby arms.

I can't see any lower than Mid tier, honestly

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I'm very interested in that fishing rod command grab. It is probably going to allow tether recoveries, on top of being able to pull people over Lloid and stuff. Neat little setups.

Isabelle looks very fun and a character that rewards creativity, although I haven't really seen too much.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I think you can hit buttons to "swing" during here up-b, increasing the rate of decay for the balloons but gaining height. Appears to happen in her character video.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So the Smash blog updated and outright says that the Fishing Rod can be used as a recovery. The utility in that move is getting better and better!

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
isabelle having a tether recovery is really great because her up+b looks extremely slow and easy to gimp

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Since the fishing rod can still grab people when the line is slack (like it does to luigi) I wonder if you can just hang it off the ledge to snag people recovering. Could be a great tool against some character's recoveries.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I wonder if Isabelle can do a Ganoncide equivalent with the fishing rod..... lmao
Probably something closer to Kirbycide, I guess, I don't see her falling quickly after catching someone.

But if you can backthrow someone in the air, the Fishing Rod have some serious potential against edgeguard.

KinoKönigin

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I have some thoughts.

I think the “taunt” where she pumps her arm into the air is actually her activating her Lloyd Mine as Kirby isn’t touching the ground and it activates with this motion. Also the animation has some dust particles coming from the ground which I can see them doing for a special but not a simple fist bump taunt.

Also, I’m wondering if her recovery actually has a hitbox where she swings, could potentially be good for gimping if it does.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

I think the “taunt” where she pumps her arm into the air is actually her activating her Lloyd Mine as Kirby isn’t touching the ground and it activates with this motion. Also the animation has some dust particles coming from the ground which I can see them doing for a special but not a simple fist bump taunt.
I think that as well, especially when the lloid activate at the same time as Marie's animation.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

So what you’re saying is that not only can it be activated like Snake’s mines, but it can remotely activate as well? Huh. Isabelle is getting more and more powerful here. Inb4 Isabelle is a higher tier than Bayonetta XD

Last edited:

KinoKönigin

Smash Rookie
I think that as well, especially when the lloid activate at the same time as Marie's animation.
So what you’re saying is that not only can it be activated like Snake’s mines, but it can remotely activate as well? Huh. Isabelle is getting more and more powerful here. Inb4 Isabelle is a higher tier than Bayonetta XD
I mean it’s possible, just speculation

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I mean it’s possible, just speculation
It's indeed speculation, but it does make sense. That's a hypothesis I did emit too, and considering the moment she does her move, the fact that Kirby do not touch the ground, and the smoke happening around here, it seems logical.

I'd dare to say that waving may be her final taunt too. At the end of her trailer, it seems apparent that facing the camera is merely tweaking her position, considering her posture seems "rotated". Especially when she fall on the ground, the animation seems really made for her facing right. And more importantly, the loop of her waving stutter a bit, and that's strange.

KinoKönigin

Smash Rookie
I noticed that Isabelle always appears to use two turnips with her up air and down air. Maybe she doesn’t have the randomiser?

Top Bottom