• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I still think Griffin Burns should voice Isaac in a future game, because he's got that youthful voice. I dunno who'd voice JP Isaac if they recast the role to another VA. I'd say it's likely in that event since the current JP VA hasn't done much voice work and considering the hypothetical new material the VA would have to work with, the devs would get a new VA.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I still think Griffin Burns should voice Isaac in a future game, because he's got that youthful voice. I dunno who'd voice JP Isaac if they recast the role to another VA. I'd say it's likely in that event since the furrent JP VA hasn't done much voice work and considering the hypothetical new material the VA would have to work with, the devs would get a new VA.
It's likely that if a new GS came along with a "new" design for Isaac, they may age him up, and give him a male voice actor to accompany it. I'd personally love to see Kenshō Ono (voice of Giorno Giovanna in JoJo's) voice Isaac in Japan, and I think he fits the "stoic hero" type very well.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Okay men I’m reporting in from Canada and the geno bros are getting worried about the Mii costume returning when hero drops next week. Anybody here think we will get another smash direct after evo? I’m only betting on any more new info at the September direct.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Okay men I’m reporting in from Canada and the geno bros are getting worried about the Mii costume returning when hero drops next week. Anybody here think we will get another smash direct after evo? I’m only betting on any more new info at the September direct.
I give it a 50/50 between August and September

also the mii costume coming back is most likely at this point

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I personally hate his AT voice, so I hope we get something better. Honestly? I think someone like Yuri Lowenthal would work well. He's proven he can work with the "teenaged/early 20s hero" characters with Spider-Man and Persona 3's protagonist, so I think he'd do an excellent job with Isaac.

I mean, Smash gave Marth, Roy, Pit, and several others their first VAs (in games, at least), so it's not out of the question for Smash to cast new actors for roles. I've always seen Isaac as someone who can speak, but he doesn't, at least, not when he's the player's character. He clearly speaks in TLA and DD, so I would hope that Sakurai gives him lines.
Well I mean more how Marth and Roy got their VAs in Smash AFTER they got officially casted in other projects. Instead of Smash just casting the VAs earlier in Smash's life. Marth and Roy both debuted in Japanese even for the English version of Melee. Even when Ike debuted in Brawl speaking English (because he had a game localized with an official English VA before his Smash debut), Marth was still left speaking Japanese despite being from the same franchise. Smash 4 once again leaves Marth speaking Japanese and Roy returns in DLC with a Japanese VA again. Marth is finally given an official English VA for Code Name Steam who would then go on to voice Marth in other projects like Fire Emblem Heroes.

When Smash Ultimate rolls around now Marth, with Yuri Lowenthal being his official English voice actor for some time, is speaking English for the first time. Roy falls into the same boat, only getting Ray Chase to voice him in Ultimate, when he was first cast officially in Fire Emblem Heroes. This is what I mean by Smash not going out of it's way to cast English VAs. They were only given voices when they had to for projects outside of Smash, they had no problem leaving these characters speaking Japanese. I forgot about Pit's case, though I guess Kid Icarus Uprising was already a project in the works so that killed two birds with one stone. Though the VA did see a change (which got updated in 4).

Obviously I'm in the boat of wanting Isaac to speak myself. I just see Sakurai basing Isaac strictly from the first Golden Sun game where he resumes the silent protagonist role. For instance, I don't think Isaac speaks any lines in his assist appearances, correct me if I'm wrong though as I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've managed to even summon Isaac in battle. And I was too distracted trying to take pictures of him.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Well I mean more how Marth and Roy got their VAs in Smash AFTER they got officially casted in other projects. Instead of Smash just casting the VAs earlier in Smash's life. Marth and Roy both debuted in Japanese even for the English version of Melee. Even when Ike debuted in Brawl speaking English (because he had a game localized with an official English VA before his Smash debut), Marth was still left speaking Japanese despite being from the same franchise. Smash 4 once again leaves Marth speaking Japanese and Roy returns in DLC with a Japanese VA again. Marth is finally given an official English VA for Code Name Steam who would then go on to voice Marth in other projects like Fire Emblem Heroes.

When Smash Ultimate rolls around now Marth, with Yuri Lowenthal being his official English voice actor for some time, is speaking English for the first time. Roy falls into the same boat, only getting Ray Chase to voice him in Ultimate, when he was first cast officially in Fire Emblem Heroes. This is what I mean by Smash not going out of it's way to cast English VAs. They were only given voices when they had to for projects outside of Smash, they had no problem leaving these characters speaking Japanese. I forgot about Pit's case, though I guess Kid Icarus Uprising was already a project in the works so that killed two birds with one stone. Though the VA did see a change (which got updated in 4).

Obviously I'm in the boat of wanting Isaac to speak myself. I just see Sakurai basing Isaac strictly from the first Golden Sun game where he resumes the silent protagonist role. For instance, I don't think Isaac speaks any lines in his assist appearances, correct me if I'm wrong though as I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've managed to even summon Isaac in battle. And I was too distracted trying to take pictures of him.
he says "Move" out loud, and you still need a voice actor for grunts, just ask Link

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
he says "Move" out loud, and you still need a voice actor for grunts, just ask Link
So he does say the name of his psynergy. Makes sense. Also I could do without the sarcasm. I said nothing about Isaac not making sounds period. Link doesn't speak but he has a Japanese VA who does the grunts. They don't get English VAs who dub over grunts or a word or two. Unless there's a Golden Sun remake were Isaac loses the silent protagonist role and is made to talk more then I expect Sakurai to treat him similar to that of Link. I've already expressed I want Isaac to talk myself given that he's not silent in his sequel games but not going to keep repeating myself over this subject.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
So he does say the name of his psynergy. Makes sense. Also I could do without the sarcasm. I said nothing about Isaac not making sounds period. Link doesn't speak but he has a Japanese VA who does the grunts. They don't get English VAs who dub over grunts or a word or two. Unless there's a Golden Sun remake were Isaac loses the silent protagonist role and is made to talk more then I expect Sakurai to treat him similar to that of Link. I've already expressed I want Isaac to talk myself given that he's not silent in his sequel games but not going to keep repeating myself over this subject.
But isn't there a difference between the JP and ENG names for the Pyserngy attacks? Won't they get a ENG VA for that unless they pull a Kirby/Ness and have the JP VA do it in both English/Japanese?

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

You are right that if he doesn't have an English VA, he may not get one, but in regards to Pit, KI Uprising wasn't a project at all. Uprising's development started after Brawl, though Sakurai had already taken a liking to the character.

I think we'd see an English VA for Isaac even without an "official" one, if only based on gut instinct.

Does anyone know if Zero Suit Samus and Meta Knight had official VAs before Smash? I'm thinking Samus did (never played Prime, so I don't know), and outside the Kirby anime, I don't think MK had voice work.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
You are right that if he doesn't have an English VA, he may not get one, but in regards to Pit, KI Uprising wasn't a project at all. Uprising's development started after Brawl, though Sakurai had already taken a liking to the character.

I think we'd see an English VA for Isaac even without an "official" one, if only based on gut instinct.

Does anyone know if Zero Suit Samus and Meta Knight had official VAs before Smash? I'm thinking Samus did (never played Prime, so I don't know), and outside the Kirby anime, I don't think MK had voice work.
Samus technically did, but Meta Knight never did speak in Kirby games and still hasn't to this day

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Very excited for the Hero showcase tomorrow! I personally prefer the Direct format with a script, but we'll see how it is. Hopefully a Hero release follows very soon. It'll probably be Wednesday, judging by Joker's reveal/release.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Very excited for the Hero showcase tomorrow! I personally prefer the Direct format with a script, but we'll see how it is. Hopefully a Hero release follows very soon. It'll probably be Wednesday, judging by Joker's reveal/release.
I'm personally more interested in seeing what dataminers can find in 4.0

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Man the Geno Thread is going off right now and I sure hope it is not all for naught given that mii costume being a no show and all. Still I am really hoping Isaac is at least considered for more dlc outside of the fighters pass and all.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Man the Geno Thread is going off right now and I sure hope it is not all for naught given that mii costume being a no show and all. Still I am really hoping Isaac is at least considered for more dlc outside of the fighters pass and all.
Poor guys. I haven't been there in a while, but I hope they're not hyping themselves up for nothing.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I really hope they're not hyping themselves up for nothing. I'd like to believe that characters like Isaac, Waluigi, and Geno would be considered for a smaller, second wave of DLC, but not adding a Mii Costume doesn't mean much (the Chocobo hat didn't return either).

ZelDan

Smash Master
I really hope they're not hyping themselves up for nothing. I'd like to believe that characters like Isaac, Waluigi, and Geno would be considered for a smaller, second wave of DLC, but not adding a Mii Costume doesn't mean much (the Chocobo hat didn't return either).
Yeah, the fact that Geno's Mii costume wasn't in the Hero video could just be because it wasn't DQ related, not because it isn't coming back at all and thus Geno is playable. It and the Chocobo hat could return in some other video, assuming either of them do come back.

There's also the possibility that the costume doesn't come back and Geno isn't playable anyways because life is a ***** sometimes.

We will see though.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
let's not be selling ourselves short

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I put a fun trivia fact on the Isaac Adepts page in celebration of Hero's release

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've refrained from saying it there, but the trajectory they're on atm really gives me flashbacks to Isaac's last time around. :/

I put a fun trivia fact on the Isaac Adepts page in celebration of Hero's release
Dragon Quest III also has its protag as a playable skin, though.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Yeah I feel really bad for the Geno fans now. They are getting excited and hopeful and they are on a direct course for Smash 4 Issac territory. Nothing is worse then going down in terms of representation.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Not everyone will understand it but some people might argue that crashing and burning is better than never leaving the ground to begin with.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not everyone will understand it but some people might argue that crashing and burning is better than never leaving the ground to begin with.
Well Isaac is an example of how prolonged expectation leads to increased popularity. Had he been confirmed as at AT at the outset of the cycle, he never would've performed as well as he did on the ballot last time, nor would he have garnered such a reaction on his deconfirmation this time.

Though the latter might also be due in part to leaks such as MysticDistance's as well as ol Mr. Grinch.

Emotionally it can be a bit much for some, though.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
So playing Hero all I can think of is how it's yet another example of how well RPG characters translate to Smash, and thus what a shame it is we don't have Isaac. Not to say Isaac would play the same, but the MP system and having the specials cast different spells depending on charge time both feel like potentially great directions for a Golden Sun design. Still not expecting him from the Fighters Pass, but one can dream, right?

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
he's more likely to use Djinn setting to give him new attributes/specials

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
A lot of people think Hero is a nail on the coffin for Isaac's inclusion, but I still think Psynergy could play completely different to Hero's specials. Regarding a direct, I think we will get something towards the end of September maybe, to showcase what is in store for early 2020

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it's a good thing that the fighter specializing in JRPG tropes is from the series that founded them. Isaac should focus on what's mainly relevant to Golden Sun.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
A lot of people think Hero is a nail on the coffin for Isaac's inclusion, but I still think Psynergy could play completely different to Hero's specials. Regarding a direct, I think we will get something towards the end of September maybe, to showcase what is in store for early 2020
I don't think Hero really affects Isaac one way or the other: given the AT, he probably wasn't in consideration for the Fighters Pass in the first place, and Golden Sun's game mechanics offer a wide variety of options for a Smash character design. I certainly don't think Isaac would have an RNG magic system, for instance, and I agree with others Djinn are liable to factor in somehow. That's also not to mention that we already have quite the variety of RPG swordsmen that don't play anything alike: just look at Marth, Ike, Robin, Shulk, Cloud, and now Hero. To be clear, I don't view Hero as a lost opportunity, but rather further proof that Isaac could be a fantastic addition to the Smash roster.

As for actual news, I'm hoping we'll get something during the EVO finals this weekend, given they're the final game on Sunday this year, but that's admittedly wishful thinking. Judging by recent history (thanks Wikipedia), September seems like a good guess for when we'll get our next full Direct and quite possibly our next newcomer trailer.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
again, it's basically a 50/50 if he's in the pass. I firmly believe that if given the opportunity, Sakurai would jump on it in a heartbeat, just because of the following factors:
-assets to use, lowering the amount of development work
-immense *and* tested fan demand (see the reactions to the Rathalos tweet as well as Sakurai's interview about Piranha Plant; he's aware of the demand, and I doubt he's one to simply ignore it)
-they don't have to wait for negotiations whatsoever
again, it's foolish to assume Smash is inherently different from other fighting games which *do* promote assist/npc characters in later patches/dlc just because it hasn't happened yet.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, Isaac almost definitely won't be in the pass, and probably won't be DLC, but his chances certainly aren't hindered by Hero specifically. Not sure who's saying that.

A command select menu is just a trait of the JRPG, it being Hero's gimmick won't infringe on Isaac any more than it would another RPG character. All of Hero's elemental magic seems fire, ice, wind and electric based, which is similar to why Robin doesn't impede Isaac. Not only is Earth magic still basically untouched, but no one is going to be able to bring the utility (hand) psynergy into Smash other than Isaac (which honestly isn't that large a part of Isaac's repertoire, but Sakurai seems under that impression).

That isn't even to mention whatever gimmick djinn could bring with them, whether collecting or resource management, which in turn could inform psynergy, djinn attacks, or even summons.

Isaac still has plenty to work with. If Robin didn't prevent Hero, Hero won't prevent Isaac.

ZelDan

Smash Master
It'd be kind of silly for Sakurai to pass up Isaac for being too similar to other swordsman when the dude had no problem giving us 3 Links and a bunch of FE clones.

That plus Isaac could very easily be different from other Swordfighters for reasons NEON brought up.

D

Deleted member

I don't don't think Isaac would have an RNG system like Hero, which I think was added to give the Hero a bit of variety and also make his gameplay luck-based where you either had to make due with the elemental attacks that were reliable, but didn't do much damage, or the random RNG spells that can either do crazy damage or nothing. However, I still think Isaac may wind up getting a more standard moveset, showing that Assist Trophies can be express shipped at the cost of creativity.

Still, if he does get playable... his body needs work since I've taken pictures of his neck being all messed up at angles during the Move animation.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Definitely agree that the RNG system isn't a good idea for Isaac. While it's fun to play around with, Isaac could definitely prove to be unique enough without them and also a more focused moveset is preferable

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't don't think Isaac would have an RNG system like Hero, which I think was added to give the Hero a bit of variety and also make his gameplay luck-based where you either had to make due with the elemental attacks that were reliable, but didn't do much damage, or the random RNG spells that can either do crazy damage or nothing. However, I still think Isaac may wind up getting a more standard moveset, showing that Assist Trophies can be express shipped at the cost of creativity.

Still, if he does get playable... his body needs work since I've taken pictures of his neck being all messed up at angles during the Move animation.
I wouldn't say Hero's elemental attacks "don't do much damage." Hero's Side-B is pretty damn powerful, atleast when it's fully charged.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I wouldn't say Hero's elemental attacks "don't do much damage." Hero's Side-B is pretty damn powerful, atleast when it's fully charged.
the only weak one I'd say is up b, and that makes up for it being extremely strong for recovery

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Well another EVO has come and gone and now its quite the wait for september now. I just hope that Shantae or Geno or of course Isaac get to join the fight someday. Those are my top 3 and would be an instant main if they got in regardless of tier.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I support Isaac despite not knowing him very well. I couldn't help but give a big wah when I saw his assist trophy. But it wasn't as bad as Waluigi's assist trophy.

I also think that having Isaac as an assist trophy is just as bad as having Nagisa as a support character instead of playable in a shonen jump game.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Concerning Hero: I actually thought of a similar drop-down menu gimmick for Isaac once, only it managed his Djinn and Summons. Pressing left or right would switch between lists. Though, I didn't think of the MP/PP bar.
That's interesting. I've also thought of a mechanic like what Hero got. I love the weapon unleashes in the games so I had envisioned them working like critical hits do in Smash. Only instead of a close up and more damage you get some Psyenergy, which is obviously way better. Then I thought that being random probably wouldn't be something that would be acceptable in Smash so I thought of getting the unleashes if you fully charged a Smash attack. But then Sakurai made RNG as a fighter so I guess my original idea is valid again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom