• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I fully expect Phoenix Wright and Lloyd. To be honest, I had forgotten about Namco when considering third-party companies, but Namco seems obvious now. I think Phoenix Wright is likely due to Dante being "deconfirmed" by his creator, and I just feel like Phoenix Wright would be more popular in general.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I fully expect Phoenix Wright and Lloyd. To be honest, I had forgotten about Namco when considering third-party companies, but Namco seems obvious now. I think Phoenix Wright is likely due to Dante being "deconfirmed" by his creator, and I just feel like Phoenix Wright would be more popular in general.
I'd see Leon or Jill from Resident Evil as more likely to get that spot before Phoenix just because of RE's much wider appeal and stronger legacy which would be more likely to attract new players to the game and create more sales for the Fighter Pass. However, I do think that Phoenix's fanbase was more actively involved with the ballot, so if they go the Banjo route again and choose for fan demand, then Phoenix might have a case (pun shamelessly intended).

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
these characters being "expected" is why I doubt they'll happen

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Papa Genos made a great video on where speculation is at on who the last two characters could potentially be.
https://youtu.be/OU69BtoFZwo

Personally, I’m more leaning towards his Mii Costume Theory where we’ll be getting a Namco and Capcom Rep. which so far is still holding weight. Definitely check that out. If this is the case, then I could see either a Tekken Rep (Heihachi?) or a Tales of Rep from Namco and for Capcom a Resident Evil Rep (Jill?) or someone else entirely from them.

Besides Isaac (which I’m more inclined to believe he could be in the 2nd DLC pack), I’m still holding out for Doom Guy/Slayer. That would be epic!

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Papa Genos made a great video on where speculation is at on who the last two characters could potentially be.
https://youtu.be/OU69BtoFZwo

Personally, I’m more leaning towards his Mii Costume Theory where we’ll be getting a Namco and Capcom Rep. which so far is still holding weight. Definitely check that out. If this is the case, then I could see either a Tekken Rep (Heihachi?) or a Tales of Rep from Namco and for Capcom a Resident Evil Rep (Jill?) or someone else entirely from them.

Besides Isaac (which I’m more inclined to believe he could be in the 2nd DLC pack), I’m still holding out for Doom Guy/Slayer. That would be epic!
I think Crash is going to be one of the fighters. Besides him I think it’ll either be a Tales rep or a Resident Evil character.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Wow, I was gone for two days, and no new posts when I come back. We need something new to talk about.

How likely do you guys think it is we see something Golden Sun this year? I think maybe in a holiday Direct is a long enough time (from Mario Tennis Aces release in June 2018 - year and a half) for a big RPG like a new Golden Sun to have enough footage to be announced, even if it's just a teaser like BOTW 2.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Wow, I was gone for two days, and no new posts when I come back. We need something new to talk about.

How likely do you guys think it is we see something Golden Sun this year? I think maybe in a holiday Direct is a long enough time (from Mario Tennis Aces release in June 2018 - year and a half) for a big RPG like a new Golden Sun to have enough footage to be announced, even if it's just a teaser like BOTW 2.
announcement in september, release in december

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I think it's pretty unlikely, Nintendo has a pretty loaded 2019. I could see something getting announced in the last months of the year for release in January, but I'm not betting on it.

I think a series like Golden Sun being revived would be more of an E3 thing to do.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I think it's pretty unlikely, Nintendo has a pretty loaded 2019. I could see something getting announced in the last months of the year for release in January, but I'm not betting on it.

I think a series like Golden Sun being revived would be more of an E3 thing to do.
I don't necessarily think anything Golden Sun is likely, but if anything Golden Sun related were to be announced I could see it happen in like a February direct, or whenever they do a beginning of 2020 direct. But yeah I doubt we would see anything Golden Sun related this year.

Having said all of that I'm not gonna expect anything at all. Not gonna get my hopes up for anything.

ZelDan

Smash Master
They could always tease a new Golden Sun in a regular direct and then go into more detail about during a following E3. That's what they did with Smash Bros. That said I could see them just going all in on a Golden Sun reveal during a regular direct too.

As for it happening this year, meh, it's definitely not likely I don't think, but who knows. If not this year, then maybe the fanbase's outcry will give us something next year.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Dang, it sucks we have no indication a game is anywhere on the horizon. I wonder how long we have to keep up demand before Nintendo and Camelot finally listen to us?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dang, it sucks we have no indication a game is anywhere on the horizon. I wonder how long we have to keep up demand before Nintendo and Camelot finally listen to us?
We accomplished a lot in terms of Smash incorporating more of Golden Sun, but sometimes it feels like, as compared to the Metroid revival or Mother 3 camps, the Golden Sun fanbase is more akin to...

Idk. It's hard to judge when you're in the eye of the storm.

What I can say with some certainty is more people are requesting Isaac in Smash than actually requesting a GS4. Kind of ironic, considering at this point only the latter will precipitate the former.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
What I can say with some certainty is more people are requesting Isaac in Smash than actually requesting a GS4. Kind of ironic, considering at this point only the latter will precipitate the former.
Eh, I don't know about that. With how many dead characters are currently in Smash and how long it's been since Camelot has done a game not involving Mario and sports, it certainly seems like Isaac has a higher chance of being in Smash than revived proper.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
To be fair Isaac in Smash is more of a unified goal whereas when it comes to requesting the next Golden Sun game, it's split between wanting remakes of the first two games than getting Golden Sun 4 after such a long gap in release.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
If we know something about Golden Sun, it's probably the next year. But, IMO, if the next year we don't heard anything of the new Camelot project, that would mean they would be working in a new entry of Golden Sun (or something new). But well, we will know about that in the January/Spring/E3 direct of the next year (I doubt Nintendo wouldn't show a new Mario Golf entry in those directs and they'd wait to the september direct).

Btw, I don't know if the people of here has read this about the last Sakurai column from Famitsu but well, here we go:
Banjo & Kazooie
This was another fighter that I received a lot of requests for – mostly from overseas. That being said, King K. Rool and Ridley were pretty fervently requested too. And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!
That's the translation of nintendoeverything The PushDustIn translation for this piece of text:
BK were incredibly request by fans in the West for a long time. Even after King K. Rool and Ridley, requests were still coming in.
Apart from the obvious (BK was chosen because of the fan demand), the first translation leaves the door open to more requested characters, with maybe a special attention to the overseas, so us . A bit sad that, with the polls in hand when the ballot was announced and after them (until the AT announcement), our character wasn't chosen despite being there as one of the most popular characters with the other ones...

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
If we know something about Golden Sun, it's probably the next year. But, IMO, if the next year we don't heard anything of the new Camelot project, that would mean they would be working in a new entry of Golden Sun (or something new). But well, we will know about that in the January/Spring/E3 direct of the next year (I doubt Nintendo wouldn't show a new Mario Golf entry in those directs and they'd wait to the september direct).

Btw, I don't know if the people of here has read this about the last Sakurai column from Famitsu but well, here we go:

That's the translation of nintendoeverything The PushDustIn translation for this piece of text:

Apart from the obvious (BK was chosen because of the fan demand), the first translation leaves the door open to more requested characters, with maybe a special attention to the overseas, so us . A bit sad that, with the polls in hand when the ballot was announced and after them (until the AT announcement), our character wasn't chosen despite being there as one of the most popular characters with the other ones...
I kinda see that "future with more highly requested characters" line referring to how more fan requested characters will pop up as more new games come out over time (like how Rex and Pyra became a more recent highly requested character), perhaps not that there will be more fan requested characters in DLC.

I mean, we MIGHT see more fan requested characters as DLC, but I don't know if that's what Sakurai was specifically talking about with that specific line.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I kinda see that "future with more highly requested characters" line referring to how more fan requested characters will pop up as more new games come out over time (like how Rex and Pyra became a more recent highly requested character), perhaps not that there will be more fan requested characters in DLC.

I mean, we MIGHT see more fan requested characters as DLC, but I don't know if that's what Sakurai was specifically talking about with that specific line.
I can't think of what else he would be talking about in this case, seeing as, as we all know, he doesn't think about the next game while he's busy with the current one

ZelDan

Smash Master
I can't think of what else he would be talking about in this case, seeing as, as we all know, he doesn't think about the next game while he's busy with the current one
Just because he maybe doesn't focus on the future THAT strongly doesn't mean he is going to completely ignore it or pretend it's not a thing. I'd think just because he focuses on the present it doesn't mean it doesn't think of the future sometimes.

I'm sure he's very well aware of how more beloved characters will emerge in the gaming world and how some of those might become characters that people want in Smash at some point.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Maybe I'm a bit too cocky in Isaac's chances but I definitely feel he'd be a newcomer in Ultimate if this game had the normal amount of new Nintendo franchise additions. This game had Splatoon and that was pretty much it. The rest of the newcomers were from existing series or third parties. Smash 4 added Punch Out, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, Wii Fit, and Duck Hunt. When it comes to new franchise additions for the next Smash, if they add a similar amount like in 4, I just don't see how Golden Sun would be skipped over.

I'm also kind of glad to see Sakurai put emphasis on how requested BK and the others were considering it is one of the things that Isaac has going for him. Ideally I want Isaac in Ultimate cause of the whole, 'Everyone is Here!' concept with the giant mural. But that won't be possible if DLC stops at just the current fighter pass. Sakurai did more character promotions in Ultimate than 4, so I feel like Isaac has a pretty good shot to be promoted from his assist role in the next game. As much as I told myself I don't want to wait for the next Smash to get Isaac, we're already half way through this year already, in a way I'm kind of pretty much waiting regardless lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just because he maybe doesn't focus on the future THAT strongly doesn't mean he is going to completely ignore it or pretend it's not a thing. I'd think just because he focuses on the present it doesn't mean it doesn't think of the future sometimes.

I'm sure he's very well aware of how more beloved characters will emerge in the gaming world and how some of those might become characters that people want in Smash at some point.
Yeah man. It can also simply mean that even if the current batch of huge requests were to somehow get in, there will be lesser-known ones taking up their place in speculation as time goes by.

In the meantime...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah man. It can also simply mean that even if the current batch of huge requests were to somehow get in, there will be lesser-known ones taking up their place in speculation as time goes by.

In the meantime...
In our defense, he might not have been aware of Isaac's demand, so in his eyes we're a new request. As far as I know the only characters Sakurai has shown awareness of the demand are Geno and Waluigi.

Last edited by a moderator:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Hey guys, been a while since I last posted in this thread. I did manage to get a copy of Golden Sun about a month ago, and even though I've been taken up in playing other games lately (since I have a lot on my backlog) I am looking forward to finally giving this game a shot.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
In our defense, he might not have been aware of Isaac's demand, so in his eyes we're a new request. As far as I know the only characters Sakurai has shown awareness of the demand are Geno and Waluigi.
only because he's never actually mentioned Isaac. He never mentioned K Rool or Banjo prior to their reveals

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
only because he's never actually mentioned Isaac. He never mentioned K Rool or Banjo prior to their reveals
Well, yes, that was the point. He mentioned those guys and Ridley, 'the old guard' you could say. Now he mentions that there will always be new fan demands, a 'new guard'. Since it appears he hasn't been aware of Isaac's demand, maybe he's part of this 'new guard'.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Well, yes, that was the point. He mentioned those guys and Ridley, 'the old guard' you could say. Now he mentions that there will always be new fan demands, a 'new guard'. Since it appears he hasn't been aware of Isaac's demand, maybe he's part of this 'new guard'.
he didn't say anything about an "old guard" or "new guard", he mentioned those characters because they've been shown. Never in this quote did he mention anything about "future requests"

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
he didn't say anything about an "old guard" or "new guard", he mentioned those characters because they've been shown. Never in this quote did he mention anything about "future requests"
Sakurai said:
That being said, King K. Rool and Ridley were pretty fervently requested too. And as I continue to grant these requests, I can only see a future where there’s even more of them!
As he continues to grant requests, more will keep popping up.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
As he continues to grant requests, more will keep popping up.
I'm not clear on if he means in this context requested characters in general or future fan requests, because it honestly sounds to me like he's saying the former

While he does seem to be acknowledging that future requests are a thing, the "continuing to grant requests" thing basically says there's more he's aware of

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
That interview does give me hope that we could see more fan requested characters show up as DLC. And by extension Isaac. If that were to happen for Ultimate I wouldn't expect it until post fighter's pass (assuming we get more) and even then I suspect he would probably show up in the next game. Regardless though, it gives me a little hope that fan demand has a bit more influence than I previously figured.

Having said that, I also worry a little that he meant the inclusion of fan requested characters will lead to more characters being requested rather than the addition of yet more popular picks. Especially given potential translation issues I'm a bit wary.

Also regarding potential for a new Golden Sun game or remaster, I expect that no news is likely good news for now. The longer we go with no information as to what Camelot is up to, I suspect the more likely that game they are working on is not a Mario Sports title. I may be making too many assumptions here, but my understanding is that Mario Sports titles shouldn't take nearly as much development time, so a longer absence could mean something more involved.

Though now that I've said aaaaaall of that, I'm still not entirely convinced that a new Golden Sun would necessarily have to be made by Camelot. Especially if they make remasters or a reimagining of the old games. I'd love to see Monolith Soft's take on the IP to be honest. Especially given their involvement in both BotW and XB2, I feel like Golden Sun would be squarely in their wheelhouse.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Bottom line is, if fan requests are taken into account, we're one of the biggest. So this is good.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The Isaac Adepts account officially turned one today and the idea for the account was born on this thread so massive appreciation from me! Thank you everyone that has supported us since then.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I feel like with his statements and the fact that people keep sending him fan letters when he actually puts in fan requests Sakurai might start trying to give the fans what they want more. I have little doubt we will get more DLC in the future so we just gotta stay active and stay loud so Sakurai knows who we want to see even if we aren't a part of the first pass.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Would it make sense if Waluigi and Isaac are both DLC fighters?
Nah. Sakurai generally keeps characters a secret, he's not the type to suddenly go "ah ha, they were right under your noses the whole time!" when they were already seen in Directs and such (at least concerning ATs). He doesn't play the long game like most people think he does. Both Rool and BK's trailers simply messed with people's expectations for like a minute before a reveal happened.

Besides, it may be more trouble than it's worth to reprogram the game to have characters' ATs not show up in every stage when/if they become playable.

I feel like with his statements and the fact that people keep sending him fan letters when he actually puts in fan requests Sakurai might start trying to give the fans what they want more. I have little doubt we will get more DLC in the future so we just gotta stay active and stay loud so Sakurai knows who we want to see even if we aren't a part of the first pass.
Yeah, at least the WOL datamine shows that the window of opportunity is there. We just need to see what Sakurai will state once the Fighter Pass is complete.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Besides, it may be more trouble than it's worth to reprogram the game to have characters' ATs not show up in every stage when/if they become playable.
If they could handle Resetti having unique dialog for every fighter, Gray Fox saying different things when Snake is present, and hiding Poke Balls/ATs on stages that already have those characters/Pokemon present, they can handle that. Besides, I don't think the former two required stage-based coding to have character-specific dialog.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If they could handle Resetti having unique dialog for every fighter, Gray Fox saying different things when Snake is present, and hiding Poke Balls/ATs on stages that already have those characters/Pokemon present, they can handle that. Besides, I don't think the former two required stage-based coding to have character-specific dialog.
Yeah, except that Mr. Resetti never had 70+ characters to have dialog for.

At any rate, I don't think they'll be changing their stance on ATs for this time. The current "leak" with Waluigi will determine whether that will change or not.

Top Bottom