• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
This is probably future-proofing, but we got two more spaces for DLC. Hopefully things will get better now.
1560288786171.png
PS: The photo is not mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
This is probably future-proofing, but we got two more spaces for DLC. Hopefully things will get better now.
View attachment 227498
PS: The photo is not mine.
I saw this on the desktop website as well but it's been reverted to two slots now, Unless it can be confirmed by a mobile user that this still remains, they probably just hadn't gotten around to deleting two of the four preexisting question marks yet.

There's still the Adventure Mode slot datamine to hold onto at least. As long as we get even one more fighter pass, it'll have been enough time for hindsight to settle in and Nintendo to see the profitability in characters like Isaac/Geno/Waluigi/etc. Plus, Isaac would have the benefit of having the existing AT assets to work with to make development slightly easier.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Erdrick is trash but I got my boy Luminary AND an Eight skin too? I couldn't be happier. Buy Dragon Quest XI y'all

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
So we ended up with both a Dragon Quest character AND Banjo & Kazooie and thus my pessimism was proven wrong for once. Well, I'm happy for Banjo & Kazooie fans.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The Smash reveals made me so excited I had to make a tweet about it. Also Banjo's reveal can finally kill that argument that characters that haven't had a game in years and isn't from the NES era are not possible. Banjo hasn't had a game for 11 years for crying out loud

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
We go back to waiting, however, I am super glad to see people taking this with an optimistic approach. Also no sign of Camelot this year which is undoubtedly good for us, 2020 will be a game full of challenges for Nintendo and I seriously hope they bring out all the fna demanded guns with their own IPs to compete with next gen PS and Xbox

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
With Hero's and Banjo's reveals, I'm fully convinced that the Fighter Pass is all third-party characters. However, that doesn't rule out a second wave, maybe with less fighters, that could include first-party characters.

That said, I'm still in shock that Banjo made it. That is a slot well earned, and I'm excited to try him. Hero, on the other hand, doesn't excite me as much, but he looks super fun, and the MP mechanic is dope, so I can't wait to try him out soon.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If nothing else today should prove to us why we should never give up. One of the biggest never ever characters got into Smash and broke like 5 fan rules in the process. We really need to maintain hope and keep pushing for Isaac. It may not happen often or quickly but Sakurai does give the fans who they want. We gotta make sure he knows Isaac is who we want to see next and no AT will change that.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
If nothing else today should prove to us why we should never give up. One of the biggest never ever characters got into Smash and broke like 5 fan rules in the process. We really need to maintain hope and keep pushing for Isaac. It may not happen often or quickly but Sakurai does give the fans who they want. We gotta make sure he knows Isaac is who we want to see next and no AT will change that.
XIII is right, yesterday proved without any doubt the fan-rules are completely bogus. Banjo never would have got in if the rules were in place. And I can promise the success of the Fighter Pass and the Ballot picks will prove that Nintendo should listen to the Smash fans far more. This is only good things for Golden Sun and Isaac's chances.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm starting to believe in Golden Sun resurgence sooner or later. It would have been a good time to display Mario Golf, but it didn't. Camelot is only on DLC for Ace now, but I can't believe the whole studio is working on that. Golf is certainly easier and quicker to do than GS. Remember that, at the end of the direct, they said they have other unannounced games to come.

Keep up the dream, adepts!

Last edited:

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Reminder that we got both an brand new AT and Mii costume, along with plenty of spirits.
Sakurai kept breaking the
-Too big!
-Irrevelant!
-Hadn't had a game in years!
Rules, how about this time he breaks the
-He's an assist trophy!
-Dlc is only made of third parties!
Ones?
I'm NEVER EVER giving up!
Dvij3tvUYAAsbva.png

andree123

Smash Ace
The Hero's filename in the site is dq_hero, this was to avoid problems with anything else that has the filename that is just hero.

Isaac's Japanese name is Robin which was shared with Robin's English name, so if he is part of a fighters pass season 2, his Japanese filename in the site likely should be goldensun_robin.

Last edited:

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Great to see Banjo in. Irrelevancy arguments are a thing of the past. It's also great to see that Japanese twitter accounts also know of the demand for isaac as well. With what Sakurai said about voicing your support for a character as well as saying it's great for us to show support for said character back in November, we should continue to show our support for Isaac in smash and Golden Sun in general and be loud about it, but in a civil way of course.

https://twitter.com/luigi_jojo/status/1138578751913058304

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something to understand about relevancy arguments; they were always irrelevant for 3rd parties. It was solely in the context of 1st parties. Golden Sun isn't out of the woods yet, unfortunately.

So nothing actually changed in the long run.

It does help to some degree, but not as much as people think it does(it means Sakurai is wiling to evaluate dead franchises, though to be fair, BK still was very active via merchandise, so maybe it wasn't treated as dead). K. Rool had zero effect on B&K, as they were in entirely different situations and contexts. Literally the closest things the two had at this point were ballot votes at best when it came to having a chance.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but people vastly misread what Sakurai actually meant by relevancy. He never said it was a criteria for 3rd parties. He in fact said it affected veterans too, but mainly was for Nintendo properties. It's a stretch to say he meant it for 3rd parties, when every single franchise in Smash among 3rd parties had consistent products around the time they were added, despite not being games. So... really, this isn't as useful if we understand the actual factor relevancy is referring to.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
The Hero's filename in the site is dq_hero, this was to avoid problems with anything else that has the filename that is just hero.

Isaac's Japanese name is Robin which was shared with Robin's English name, so if he is part of a fighters pass season 2, his Japanese filename in the site likely should be goldensun_robin.
It would probably be something like ont_robin, since the Japanese name of Golden Sun is "Oogon no Taiyou", and unless my theory of the whole series being launched as Golden Sun worldwide is correct, they'd label him with the Japanese name.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Something to understand about relevancy arguments; they were always irrelevant for 3rd parties. It was solely in the context of 1st parties. Golden Sun isn't out of the woods yet, unfortunately.

So nothing actually changed in the long run.

It does help to some degree, but not as much as people think it does(it means Sakurai is wiling to evaluate dead franchises, though to be fair, BK still was very active via merchandise, so maybe it wasn't treated as dead). K. Rool had zero effect on B&K, as they were in entirely different situations and contexts. Literally the closest things the two had at this point were ballot votes at best when it came to having a chance.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but people vastly misread what Sakurai actually meant by relevancy. He never said it was a criteria for 3rd parties. He in fact said it affected veterans too, but mainly was for Nintendo properties. It's a stretch to say he meant it for 3rd parties, when every single franchise in Smash among 3rd parties had consistent products around the time they were added, despite not being games. So... really, this isn't as useful if we understand the actual factor relevancy is referring to.
If we're being honest, the far greater problem with Golden Sun remains that they have yet to announce additional Smash DLC. We have no reason to believe the Fighters Pass will contain anything other than third party characters at this point, so the primary concern is not whether Isaac qualifies to get in, but rather if there is even DLC for him to be potentially included in. I get the impression most Isaac fans accept that much, and if we do get that bonus DLC, talking about whether the relevancy argument applies in a world with K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie is certainly a worthwhile discussion.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If we're being honest, the far greater problem with Golden Sun remains that they have yet to announce additional Smash DLC. We have no reason to believe the Fighters Pass will contain anything other than third party characters at this point, so the primary concern is not whether Isaac qualifies to get in, but rather if there is even DLC for him to be potentially included in. I get the impression most Isaac fans accept that much, and if we do get that bonus DLC, talking about whether the relevancy argument applies in a world with K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie is certainly a worthwhile discussion.
To be fair, he's a video game character. That's the literal qualifying thing.

But all the DLC were recent games or from a currently active franchise, so relevancy may still be a factor.

I don't believe the 3rd party only thing is close to being confirmed either. It's an okay theory, but that's it.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, he's a video game character. That's the literal qualifying thing.

But all the DLC were recent games or from a currently active franchise, so relevancy may still be a factor.

I don't believe the 3rd party only thing is close to being confirmed either. It's an okay theory, but that's it.
Now that Banjo is in the game, are we really pretending that his series wasn't utterly completely dead up until now?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Now that Banjo is in the game, are we really pretending that his series wasn't utterly completely dead up until now?
It wasn't. He had a crapload of merchandise and alive through Rare Replay. He's literally been advertised over and over before this.

Golden Sun is entirely unused in any official capacity. Not even some fun merchandise.

Not comparable in the slightest.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
It wasn't. He had a crapload of merchandise and alive through Rare Replay. He's literally been advertised over and over before this.

Golden Sun is entirely unused in any official capacity. Not even some fun merchandise.

Not comparable in the slightest.
'a crapload of merchandise' feels like an overstatement to me... Plus Rare Replay is just the same thing as Virtual Console which Golden Sun was present on...

SPEN18

Smash Lord
have people confirmed whether or not the 'Brave' codename thing was indeed for DQ or not?

'a crapload of merchandise' feels like an overstatement to me... Plus Rare Replay is just the same thing as Virtual Console which Golden Sun was present on...
yeah I was just about to say something similar

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not an overstatement. He's been getting a lot for a while now. The only merchandise that is gong to relate to Smash is the amiibo. The rest just showed he was still a highly sellable product, which is why it was so easy for him to get into Smash, just like Hero, Joker, and PP did. All from relevant franchises.

Rare Replay is an advertised and currently active product. Virtual Console has been dead for ages. Though it doesn't really matter either way as the merchandise made Banjo an active product, if you want to ignore "VC-type stuff".

Again, these don't work as comparisons. Banjo wasn't actually dead when added.

But that won't matter as much when you realize that the whole "relevancy" thing was never important for 3rd parties. It was solely important for 1st parties. So it doesn't matter that Banjo has been currently relevant or not. It has no bearing on Golden Sun's chances in any way. Let's not look for stretches to justify having a better chance of getting in. Our situation really didn't change. Because Golden Sun's situation is that it's a currently dead 1st party franchise. Something Sakurai rarely adds a playable character to. Key term being 1st party.

I'm an Isaac supporter and all, but I'm also realistic. I never apply false hope by comparing completely unrelated situations.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
When the fighter's pass was first announced, with Nintendo stated to be selecting the characters. I didn't have much faith that they'd put any long requested fan favorites in this pass. I expected quite recent characters and ones with games on the way to sell the pass. So Banjo was a complete surprise in itself.

Then Rare tweeted something that really hit at home.

"You asked. We listened. Nintendo were listening too, and we were happy to work with our old friends to make this one a reality. Banjo and Kazooie are coming to Super #SmashBrosUltimate!"

Banjo's here because the fans have been asking and Rare and Nintendo listened. This only served as motivation. At the end of the day, let's keep asking for Isaac no matter what.

I want that Ridley, K.Rool, and Banjo moment for Isaac so bad lol

ZelDan

Smash Master
The fact that all 3 fighter's pass characters just so happen to be both third party and characters/franchises without any spirit representation makes me believe the next 2 characters will be much the same. I could be wrong and get bamboozled by Sakurai, and I certainly wouldn't be against eating that plate of crow if I get a character I want out of it, especially if it ends up being , heaven forbid, Isaac.

but yeah I'm leaning pretty hard into the next 2 characters being third party and currently spiritless reps.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Going by what we’ve gotten I’m sure the final two characters in the Fighter Pass will be third party characters.

We need a second Fighter Pass announced. That’s really all there is to it. And we also have to hope assist trophies are something Sakurai would be willing to upgrade to fighter (in the same game).

I am still psyched though that after nothing in a Smash 4 we got quite a bit of GS content in Ultimate. And by the reaction Isaac got when revealed as an AT Nintendo knows people still care about the series.

Banjo was my second most wanted character after Isaac. I’m sooooo happy we at least got him in Smash.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Despite the hype potential certain third-party franchises have, they don't have an unlimited budget. At some point they'll have to cut corners by using at least one character they already got the rights to use in Smash.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
characters/franchises without any spirit representation
of course they're franchises without spirit representation, they're third parties

it'd be strange if they DID have non- protagonist spirits associated with them in base game

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
of course they're franchises without spirit representation, they're third parties

it'd be strange if they DID have spirits associated with them in base game
To be fair, strings for Rare-owned IP were found in the data of the game, regarding spirits. It's possible they were test strings, but since they're found with Devil's Third, it's quite likely that Banjo/Rare content was meant to be in the base game.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
'a crapload of merchandise' feels like an overstatement to me... Plus Rare Replay is just the same thing as Virtual Console which Golden Sun was present
Agreed. Banjo got a figure a few months ago and everyone freaked out about it because he never gets anything.

And Rare-Replay is hardly Banjo content. Agree completely that you might as well count the VC as Golden Sun content.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To be fair, strings for Rare-owned IP were found in the data of the game, regarding spirits. It's possible they were test strings, but since they're found with Devil's Third, it's quite likely that Banjo/Rare content was meant to be in the base game.
The Rare games that had strings in the game were games that Nintendo had the Japanese rights to. I assume they had to be cut to prevent the game from having any region-exclusive content, but it would be nice to see them show up on Banjo's spirit board.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
even then, they weren't actually available to be collected in the game, they were just in the code as dummy data. That's a bit different from what I'm meaning

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Banjo got a figure a few months ago and everyone freaked out about it because he never gets anything.

And Rare-Replay is hardly Banjo content. Agree completely that you might as well count the VC as Golden Sun content.
Agreed. People were freaking out over said merch too. At one point they also announced merch for other characters, but people were dismayed that Banjo wasn't thrown in.

ZelDan

Smash Master

it'd be strange if they DID have non- protagonist spirits associated with them in base game
I got to be honest, I'm not really sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying any franchise without playable representation in Smash that doesn't have spirits in Smash either already are all third parties, so bringing up the "spiritless" part with the "third party" parts was redundant?

because Shantae and Risky Boots spirits exist. While they could be considered Mario characters, Geno and Mallow are still third party and aren't playable.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
what I'm saying is that not having spirits from the current dlc franchises is a given, since they are third parties to begin with. It doesn't make sense to have spirits from those franchises before they're even playable.

The crux of the "spirits = disconfirm" argument is that a character cannot be a playable character if they're a spirit. Now, if we were to apply this logic to the current franchises as if they were first parties, it would mean that we'd have spirits from Persona 5 without Joker, spirits from DQ without the Heroes, and spirits from BK/Rare without Banjo.

Like say Saki was the fourth DLC character. That's fine and dandy, but if he didn't have a spirit while Isa Jo did that would look suspect as all hell

IDK about you but if you're looking for a reason to believe spiritless characters are the only candidates for first party, you're looking in the wrong place

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
How many other first party IP’s are there that aren’t represented yet? I’m talking about IP’s that have multiple games and sold some decently big numbers.

Other than Golden Sun the only other big one that comes to my mind is Advance Wars (which is an amazing series as well). Maybe Custom Robo? But I’ve never played those games.

Top Bottom