• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
That’s always what I find so interesting about Isaac’s support and makes me wonder so much.

What makes his demand stand out from other niche Nintendo characters like Andy, Saki, and Ray?

What did GS do to put him on an A tier of high requests?

No disrespect, just curious.
There are several factors as to why Isaac was demanded so much. Golden Sun was one of the first (RPG) games to come out on the GBA which sold over a million copies as well as its sequel, The Lost Age. It was easy to get into, portable, fun, and you could save at any point in the game. The battle system was simple and easy to understand, but also well in depth and complex if you wanted it to be. Had fun mechanics outside of battles and puzzles to solve like in Zelda. Being able to control the 4 elements during and outside of battle was great. Lovable characters and interesting (and great) lore. It was made by Camelot, who also created Waluigi, so you could technically say that, by company/business wise, Waluigi and Isaac are brothers.

Those are just some of the many reasons why. One of the big reasons why Isaac was desired was the fact that he can control/bend the earth at his will which no Smash fighter can do. He would have brought a lot of new things to the table. He could also use these “elemental pets” called Djinn to enhance his abilities and call out devastating summons like Judgement. People would think he would just use a sword like all the FE characters when that is pretty far from the truth. His sword is more of an acccesory than anything. You can beat Golden Sun without any equipment/weapons if you wanted to.

For Andy, IS appears to be more concerned about FE than Advance Wars, which is sad. I don’t know much about Ray and the Custom Robo series and I don’t know why they stopped making games for it, but Ray would have been neat. Saki was mostly Japan exclusive with two games (That did get ported on the Wii and Wii U), which didn’t help trying to get his name out in the public.

I could go on and on, but my time is limited at the moment. I will say is it’s weird to me that Nintendo hasn’t given Camelot a fighter rep yet despite being with Nintendo for over 25+(?) years. They deserve at least two in the forms of Isaac and Waluigi. The Camelot Bros. will rise!

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
That’s always what I find so interesting about Isaac’s support and makes me wonder so much.

What makes his demand stand out from other niche Nintendo characters like Andy, Saki, and Ray?

I can give you a perspective from someone who's actually never played a Golden Sun game (but I plan to very soon!). Isaac's design is really interesting to me, and I think an earth-based fighter is something entirely unique that can't be accomplished with anyone else from gaming in general, let alone Nintendo. Plus, RPGs are my favorite genre, and no Nintendo RPG franchise currently active has the fully traditional RPG gameplay I want (the closest is Pokémon, but that series has grown incredibly stagnant), so Isaac in Smash could bring about a revival of the series, which I believe is the ultimate goal for most of us here, anyway. Plus, I think Isaac represents the GBA era of Nintendo perfectly, and is pretty much the face of the "niche" Nintendo characters, like the ones you mentioned. Golden Sun is a great series that sold incredibly well, and yet is a dormant franchise at the moment, which is quite the shame. Normally, I only passively support characters for Smash, but let me tell you that this Isaac community is by far the best I've ever been a part of online. It's always fun to get on here or the Isaac Discord and just kinda chat, and everyone here is so passionate about our mission. That's why I'm supporting Isaac right now, and forever.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I’m glad you all like the idea! And I’m more than happy to help. I’m decent at art, so I can contribute to something. I can also help organize. Just pm me or let me know.
Neat! I can give you a hand organizing it! You can PM me or you can choose a different way for contact, I encourage shocktarts17 shocktarts17 to do so too, that way we can start polishing details!

Pretty much everyone's responses, Golden Sun was the introduction for many of us to the JRPG genre, Isaac abilities makes him unique and a great addition to the roster bringing various new things to Smash that only Golden Sun characters can bring, marked many childhoods /adolescences, etc. But there is also us. Throughout all the speculation cycles but specially this one, Golden Sun fans prove to be extremely loyal but at the same time respectful and overall nice to developers and other fandoms, that made a lot of people that may not know Golden Sun to come and support Isaac too

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace

There’s a few differences.

I feel like the main reason it’s because we’ve become far more vocal than fans of those characters.

Golden Sun did suprisingly well for an early GBA title. And was many people’s first real JRPG/RPG aside from Pokemon. So we have a strong connection with the game, it’s characters and it’s world.

We are a fanbase that has a strong sense of community. We ban together when it matters (for the most part). We did this for the Smash ballot and Ultimates hype cycle.

Isaac in Smash was never our true goal tho. We wanted Nintendo to give a damn about GS. And to make another one. We were hoping a playable Isaac would bolster Golden Sun’s relevancy and be a way to promote a new game. Alas, that did not happen, but that’s why we’re still trying to ban together to get a new Golden Sun made.

I’m sure if every Advance Wars fan got together to convince Nintendo to give AW another shot, it might work. Maybe even would have a better shot than Golden Sun since AW has several games under its belt (and more if you count Famicom Wars) and IS being a very proactive Dev team for Nintendo.

But since fans of the series haven’t exactly banned together, Nintendo hasnt bothered, and instead opt to keep making Fire Emblems since they know that makes money.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Isaac in Smash was never our true goal tho.
Well, that’s actually my end goal personally; to have Isaac in Smash as a fighter. Haha!

But I honestly do want Golden Sun to return. There’s SO MUCH potential to this series that I still cannot believe that Nintendo just lets an enormous gold mine go untouched.

I have a big list of games that I always wanted to play since 2012 and I’m almost done with it (this list does not include games after 2012). Kingdom Hearts 3 is almost about to be checked off after so many years finally. After that, Golden Sun 4 will be the last one. I hope to check this off one day and finally make a new list where it will have Golden Sun 5. lol

Edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/SonicLink125/status/1084261175406190592
This was difficult to get this snapshot, but it was worth it for this joke. lol

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Yeah my main hope is getting Nintendo to give the series the spotlight it deserves. The lore, character design, gameplay and various other things really stand out and have so much untapped potential to just leave it ignored the way they did. I will be satisfied after we both get a new game and get a Golden Sun character in Smash which would cement it's legacy among other Nintendo franchises.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Something I whipped up, hope it gets a good laugh out of everyone here.
It probably wouldn't happen. Golden Sun doesn't have enough characters to really make it a waifu games. Not unless you go the Neptunia route and make every characters female.

Smash Lord
Wow I really hope they don't take the waifu bait approach but if they do I don't want it shoved in my face as much as the recent FE games but regardless pretty good meme

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Yeah my main hope is getting Nintendo to give the series the spotlight it deserves. The lore, character design, gameplay and various other things really stand out and have so much untapped potential to just leave it ignored the way they did. I will be satisfied after we both get a new game and get a Golden Sun character in Smash which would cement it's legacy among other Nintendo franchises.
After the series returns, I view Smash as the end goal for the reason you stated, a way to cement the character's legacy. Smash is how characters like Ike/Roy (who are from a game where the protagonist constantly changes) or Ness/Captain Falcon (series ended or considered dead) manage to stay popular and relevant with tons of fan works.

SoccerStar9001 SoccerStar9001 I think it could still be possible. Even two girls would suffice. Insert mechanics to develop a closer relationship with said girls to lead to a preferred ending with one or the other.

Either way, I don't quite think Golden Sun will go down a route like that, as funny as it is to think about it, solely cause FE was failing in sales and the developers went all in with ideas they wanted in what they felt would be the last game in the series.

Whereas Golden Sun started off with amazing sales but it's a continuous story and the developers find it a project that requires full effort and time to commit to. Even with Nintendo asking Camleot to make another Golden Sun, it still took some years for it to come out.

Who knows, maybe Golden Sun is being developed by perfectionists who could easily spend years story boarding the lore and be one of those games that stay in development for ages and seem to take like ten years to come out lol.

Also for some reason I stopped getting notifications for this thread, I'm a dunderhead thinking no one was posting for a good week.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Golden Sun would've profit a lot from the motion control generation I feel. Field Psynergy would be real fun with that, and maybe different Psynergy would need different imputs or motion controls? Potential was always there, but JRPGs where on a low in the popularity department for a long time, only now it's starting to come back again. I guess we can wait this all out. Still think there's a good chance we can get a remake of the GBA games one day.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Golden Sun would've profit a lot from the motion control generation I feel. Field Psynergy would be real fun with that, and maybe different Psynergy would need different imputs or motion controls? Potential was always there, but JRPGs where on a low in the popularity department for a long time, only now it's starting to come back again. I guess we can wait this all out. Still think there's a good chance we can get a remake of the GBA games one day.
Well, the JoyCon can still work as motion control, it could be interesting to see if they take advantage of it. It would be really nice to see the GBA games remade, maybe remake Dark Dawn too to fix some of its issues.

JRPG was really limited last generations huh? Most of them jumped ship to handhelds and some only receive a HD remaster.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed you to use motion controls for Field Psynergy, as long as they don't make it required, since that stuff doesn't always work entirely correctly. It could be like the Okami remake with the pointer controls for the characters. Personally, I hope they don't do something like that, but as long as it's implemented properly, it doesn't matter.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed you to use motion controls for Field Psynergy, as long as they don't make it required, since that stuff doesn't always work entirely correctly. It could be like the Okami remake with the pointer controls for the characters. Personally, I hope they don't do something like that, but as long as it's implemented properly, it doesn't matter.
This so much. Dark Dawn was hard to work with sometimes. It's why I don't feel motion controls should be instantly added just because. It's a cool option. I liked it in stuff like Phantom Hourglass. For items. Well, map stuff and some puzzles too. But movement and sword? That was just near unplayable and not fun at all.

Meanwhile we have a better programmed game in Super Mario 64 DS, where it kept it an option only. The game suffered from a bad control(as it was based upon D-Pad usage), but was far more playable. ...Arguably PH had the better soundtrack.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okami on Wii did it right though. It wasn't always super responsive, but with a little practise, it was a very enjoyable experience. I'd play a Golden Sun like that!

Smash Lord
Golden Sun taking advantage of the joy con's motion controls is interesting although it's best if they keep that optional like Dark Dawn did with the touch screen psynergy.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Update on the Isaac Cosplay Project!
  • I finished the pyjama shirt I needed to make to understand how to make Isaac's tunic.
  • I took a lot of screenshots (79 in total) of our beloved boy in a ton of zooms and angles
  • Using screenshots and the Ultimate fanart, I got the lengths and widths for the belt, sword straps, neck banding and all sorts of little details like that
  • Made the scarf sewing template! As well as working out how to make it
  • Ordered more yellow fabric to make sure Isaac's scarf is huge and fantastic!
Up next I am working on pyjama trousers to use that to understand how to make Isaac's trousers. I should be done this time next week! Wish me luck adepts!

KMDP

Smash Legend
Update on the Isaac Cosplay Project!
  • I finished the pyjama shirt I needed to make to understand how to make Isaac's tunic.
  • I took a lot of screenshots (79 in total) of our beloved boy in a ton of zooms and angles
  • Using screenshots and the Ultimate fanart, I got the lengths and widths for the belt, sword straps, neck banding and all sorts of little details like that
  • Made the scarf sewing template! As well as working out how to make it
  • Ordered more yellow fabric to make sure Isaac's scarf is huge and fantastic!
Up next I am working on pyjama trousers to use that to understand how to make Isaac's trousers. I should be done this time next week! Wish me luck adepts!
Good luck with your project!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't see a problem with it either, but then again motion controls are the reason Star Fox Zero was so badly received despite being (basically) a remake of an awesome game.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I thought the touch controls in dark dawn were okay, so if they’d replicated that with a pointer I did actually probably like it a lot. That having been said, it needs to be optional as to not divide players.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
When it comes to motion controls for Golden Sun (or any game for that matter), I will like them as long as these two things are implemented:
1) It actually works well.
2) An option to turn it off.

I’ve been wanting to play the Metroid Prime Trilogy for a long time, but the motion controls always backed me out of it since there is no option to turn it off. Hopefully if they make an HD version for the Switch, it will be an option.

D

Deleted member

So, we're still getting characters in Mario Tennis Aces after Pauline, and according to document sources...

It's Link. I was legitimately hoping it would have been Isaac because, you know, Camelot making the games, but I guess they want Link because of obvious reasons. And before people go on about how Camelot not wanting anything for Golden Sun, I'm sure they want to do it and hopefully will get to add him in as a "thank you" finally, but the issue ties down to the fact that Nintendo presents stuff like Mario and Zelda as these big hitters, and then something like Golden Sun can't be anywhere near the same breath as them, which is why we're stuck in AT status in Ultimate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smash Lord
So, we're still getting characters in Mario Tennis Aces after Pauline, and according to document sources...

It's Link. I was legitimately hoping it would have been Isaac because, you know, Camelot making the games, but I guess they want Link because of obvious reasons. And before people go on about how Camelot not wanting anything for Golden Sun, I'm sure they want to do it and hopefully will get to add him in as a "thank you" finally, but the issue ties down to the fact that Nintendo presents stuff like Mario and Zelda as these big hitters, and then something like Golden Sun can't be anywhere near the same breath as them, which is why we're stuck in AT status in Ultimate.

Not much of a shock but it at least opens the floodgates for non Mario characters to be included into Aces. Heck Link had a cut cameo in Golden Sun TLA since his sprite was found in the code.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I find it kinda stupid, how Link and Villager and Inkling can get into Mario spin-off titles but Mario-verse characters like the Kongs and WarioWare crew can’t.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Link was in one of the Mario Kart games too so no surprise there. As with Inkling, Villager and Isabelle.

Last edited:

Smash Lord
I find it kinda stupid, how Link and Villager and Inkling can get into Mario spin-off titles but Mario-verse characters like the Kongs and WarioWare crew can’t.
Man I'd love the RPG Mario characters and other sub series characters to get into the Mario spinoffs as well. I'm actually surprised we have never gotten a proper playable Professor E.Gadd yet. Won't be surprised if Inkling will be included in Aces now

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Link holding something other than a sword in crossovers? It's likelier than you think.

Though I wish they'd bring in a Kong or two. Though I do appreciate Diddy's return and all.

Not much of a shock but it at least opens the floodgates for non Mario characters to be included into Aces. Heck Link had a cut cameo in Golden Sun TLA since his sprite was found in the code.
Huh, guess it's going full circle, in a sense.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I honestly thought it'd be Isaac that'd be a guest character. Close enough with Link in Mario Tennis, but I want to smack a tennis ball with a Psynergy hand dammit. (I'd instantly buy Aces if Isaac suddenly joined as a guest character.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>we don't want to use other Mario-related creators' characters, we want to respect them
>yo, Zelda, Splatoon and AC are getting games and new stuff, promote those
>ok

I have no idea how Nintendo culture works. The idea that Pauline would never be used again if she didn't show up in Odyssey occasionally gives me a feeling of dread. Although we did get to dodge the Ashley overexposure.

Also I do find the idea of Inkling funny, they'd be too busy painting the court to score!

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
They said in the September direct that the game will keep adding more character till June 2019 so I'm guessing that's when the game will be 100% wrapped up
I guess I should not get my hopes up too high for a golden sun reveal at E3 cause for all we know all of camelot's staff is handling the dlc for aces currently. Hopefully they plan to start development on Golden Sun Remaster after and we could get it in the next two years in 2021 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the franchise!

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I guess I should not get my hopes up too high for a golden sun reveal at E3 cause for all we know all of camelot's staff is handling the dlc for aces currently. Hopefully they plan to start development on Golden Sun Remaster after and we could get it in the next two years in 2021 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the franchise!
Even if we don’t get anything GS related this year, it just shows that we should have been campaigning long ago. If we want Golden Sun to come back, now is the time. No more sitting around waiting. They will see our demand one way or another and our numbers are increasing. The time to strike is now, my fellow Adepts!

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Oh pls don't let me hate the franchise I once loved and grew up with again...

But agreed, I don't think GS can take that path unless they do some rly hard BS to it lol.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Oh pls don't let me hate the franchise I once loved and grew up with again...

But agreed, I don't think GS can take that path unless they do some rly hard BS to it lol.
I dunno man, in the time between TLA and DD Isaac became the ultimate daddy, so who knows what the time skip did to the ladies. GS waifus may be upon us yet.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I dunno man, in the time between TLA and DD Isaac became the ultimate daddy, so who knows what the time skip did to the ladies. GS waifus may be upon us yet.
Speaking of that, it’s weird that we never did see at least Jenna. Matthew, the main protagonist of Dark Dawn, and we don’t even see his mother? Blasphemy! lol
I hope we do see them all one day.
I also hope to see if Sheba is with Felix. OTP right there.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
InB4 every female character in Golden Sun is changed to be wearing whatever the hell Coatlicue wears in either of it's appearances.

No, but seriously, I think that, if they keep the current set of 8 second generation adepts+some if not all of the adults in a GS4, I think that Fire Emblem-style support conversations would be great to have to flesh out each character more.

Just keep the romance stuff out of GS, please.

We already have all the canonical ships to take care of, we don't need more fan ones to make things more confusing.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
We already have all the canonical ships to take care of, we don't need more fan ones to make things more confusing.
Maybe I'm just bland and boring, but I'd like it better if FE had more canon pairings. Like, please IS, just tell us who gets hitched with who lol.

Top Bottom