• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I really hope Nintendo and Camelot know better than to release GS on a dying console again. If they do that again, I'll feel like it's almost as if they actually want the games to die...

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
If there's one thing Isabelle did for us all, it is that Isaac may get to be Fighter #69 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and that's a win in my book. (It's a joke people...but still...)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
HONESTLY THE HYPEST PART WAS FF7! because i was like "how come ff7 isnt on nintendo, you'd think hat would've happened by now"

and then immediately after i said that, the FF7 intro happened and i screamed
FF7 and Crash Bandicoot on Nintendo… who would've freaking thought! that and FF9 made me super happy as well, i can't believe it still. SE went in like crazy, i think this just makes even more official that SE is really good buddies with Nintendo for good now lol. Heck, I think this much SE love must mean a positive thing for Geno fans if anything.

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
Anyway so this is a bit off topic and out of left field, but if Sakarai really wanted to throw us off guard, he might throw one of those beat em up retro characters into smash ultimate as a DLC surprise. Characters such as Jimmy and Billy Lee from Double Dragon, or a character from Streets of Rage.

It's Just a thought I had after Nintendo revealed that beat em up bundle during the Direct. I mean I could see a character from those series being rather interesting and have a neat move set. Maybe they could be the only character that can switch from different weapons/items on the fly. Also since their games were centered around crowd control fighting maybe they could attack from the front and back at the same time. This would make them have a rather unique set of attacks, as long as they lost a bit of knock back just to be fair. I could see a character like that being pretty fun to play.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
It is concerning to receive that when 3DS' life is ending BUT with people finding new love for the series as well as a lot of people deciding on giving it a chance based on the fanbase's uproar I think can make for a good selling or maybe it will launch for 3DS and Switch later. A lot of people still have a 3DS and no Switch yet
I remember people using this as a way to convince themselves that Dark Dawn would be successful, since most people had DS's more than 3DS's.

That didn't happen. And even with Smash...the game on the switch, I doubt most will buy it on the 3DS, if even play on it at all.

And if is on 3DS...

Expect a "Big" backlash.

I really hope Nintendo and Camelot know better than to release GS on a dying console again. If they do that again, I'll feel like it's almost as if they actually want the games to die...
Exactly. GS sold well because of how early it released in the console's lifecycle.

DD showed that the IP wasn't recognizable enough to get people to buy it on an already dying system.

If they do the same mistake again...we'll, say goodbye to GS for another decade at least.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No, like, I'm not bull****ting, Jon knows stuff. He's Jonneh, one of the resetera people to set off the whole Ridley thing in the first place. And he knew about Tennis Aces beforehand. There's probably more that I'm forgetting. And clearly he knew this stuff too.

Least it'd get people to hush up about it being a dead series.
Oh, damn so he is literally confirmed to be Jonneh? And he’s confirmed to know some stuff? Well, that opens up a whole ‘nother can of worms.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Normally I'm not super phased since I've been at this for so long, but the influx of pessimism every. single. time. something doesn't go our way is a little exhausting to be witness to, and, frankly, a tiny bit petulant, I'll be honest. If you're in this for the long haul you need to roll with the punches, slight derails are not cause for doomsaying.

Seriously, why don't you guys take a beat, sleep on it - hell - sleep on it again, and then see how you feel. Cooler heads prevail. We've still got the better part of three more months, a lot can happen.
I have not commented in the Isaac thread this round. However, there has been a large Isaac movement for pre-Brawl, pre-Smash 4, and now pre-Ultimate. He is the only character left that has had a very large fanbase for the last ten years.

If I may offer some hope. I was a major supporter of Ridley for the last 17 years (if not the preminent supporter of Ridley), and I heavily pushed for Roy's return in Smash Bros. as well. It got REALLY hopeless for both of these characters after Smash 4. Sakurai went on the record to say Ridley was indeed too big and resizing him would "not make him faithful to who Ridley really is" and Roy had to contend with the fact that there was already four Fire Emblem characters in the game (one of which was a Marth clone) and the fact that since so many Brawl veterans got cut, many viewed his return as low priority at that point. Flash forward to nine months later, Roy despite all odds, returns as DLC for Smash 4.

Ridley, a character with the distinction of being turned down three times and then having Sakurai personally pour cold water on the character, managed to somehow be greenlit only a year after Sakurai made his statements regarding Ridley (Sakurai made his statements on Ridley in November 2014 while the first project plan was submitted in December 2015). Ridley made it in despite all odds. I honestly was never expecting him to be added in after Smash 4.

Look at Young Link and Pichu too? I bet their supporters thought that they would never be in another Smash Bros. game, yet here they are now.

K. Rool needed the ballot to make it in. He was a character who had not been in his own series since 2007, and had not made an appearance outside Smash Bros. since 2008. Many thought he was a shoe-in for Smash 4 or its DLC.

Chrom and Dark Samus are also good examples. Chrom was yet another example of a character whom Sakurai poured cold water on (he said the character was too similar to Marth and Ike), and he was kind of a butt monkey in Smash 4 (see the Robin unveil trailer and the Palutena's guidance for Robin). There was also the general fatigue in general for Fire Emblem to the point where it had become the one series where groans can be heard if the topic of newcomers for it comes up. There was also the fact the character was quickly becoming old news in his own series, with Fates, Shadows of Valentia, and now Three Houses being all more current games to the series. Chrom still made it in due to fan demand.

Dark Samus might have the single most incredible story of making it into Smash Bros. of them all. Ridley, a character that had been heavily requested for over 17 years only made it in with this game. Dark Samus's peak popularity was with the pre-Brawl era. Like K. Rool, her last appearance in her own series was all the way back in 2007, and unlike K. Rool, its unlikely she will ever actually be a part of the storyline again. Metroid Prime content in general always left much to be desired, and in Smash 4 in particular the only Prime trilogy content outside a few songs (all either rips or ports from Brawl) was the Assist Trophy of Dark Samus (all the other Metroid content was mostly stuff from Other M, and a few things from Super/Zero Mission). Most of her dedicated fanbase evaporated as Metroid fans tried to circle the wagons to try to get Ridley in. Ironically it might have been due to Sakurai's own statements on Ridley as to why Dark Samus might have done as well on the ballot as she did (Metroid fans might have been broken on Ridley ever happening and voted for Dark Samus instead so that some sort of Metroid villain got in). Despite all odds, Dark Samus made it in.

I am not saying Isaac is going to be in. Heck, there is a good chance Isaac might not even be an Assist Trophy. However, with the Ultimate a lot of the impossible has been made possible. A lot of the conventional wisdom has been shattered. Who would have thought Daisy would make it in as our Mario newcomer over the likes of Toad, Geno, Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Captain Toad?

Just keep expectations low, and you might be surprised. Sakurai's own words in the last dedicated Smash Bros. direct was that there were only a few more fighters left to be unveiled. He has already unveiled K. Rool and Isabelle after this statement. Realistically, there likely is not any more than five fighters left at this point, with there possibly being as little as only three more (one more non-echo and two more echoes).

If Isaac for whatever reason does not make it in as an Assist Trophy or fighter, its not necessarily the end. He could potentially be DLC. Just support the character. However, those who think he is "likely" are setting themselves up for a disappointment. Just support him. Realize the journey is likely going to get you kicked in the face quite a bit along the way. Ridley fans had this extensively. K. Rool fans too. If Isaac is their equal, it is his turn to eat pain.

Now, if those rumors of a Golden Sun remake on 3DS are true. I would absolutely implore Golden Sun fans to purchase the hell out of that game. Do not cry or whine that is on an outdated console or that you hate handhelds. If you truly care about the future of Isaac. The future of Golden Sun and its universe. You would not only buy that game, but you would try your best to get others to play it too. That is absolutely your last chance to save the franchise. Going about thinking you can save the franchise just from memeing Isaac into Smash Bros. is backwards. If Golden Sun's remake does well it puts him in a much better position going forward. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Pirate the game. $40 to support your character and franchise of choice is not a hardship. It is your duty. Words talk. Actions walk.

I myself am sympathetic to Isaac and Golden Sun fans even though I am still not even through the first game in the series (I bought both of the GBA games during the last four years). I hope some day I can appreciate this series like the rest of you. However, you will need to realize that in this journey, the paths and obstacles will not be the same as what others have faced. Everyone has their own journey. Appreciate the strength of others while you cultivate your own. This journey might be over in a few months, or it might take another decade. Keep at it.

There are very few important and iconic Nintendo characters left not yet playable yet in Smash Bros. Dixie Kong, Toad, and maybe Bandanna Dee might be all that is left. Isaac is on the knife edge between being an "all-star" and just a "cult favorite". After Brawl's release, the fanbases of many characters that failed to make it in after Brawl collapsed after a few years. Of the few that did not, they were Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man, Little Mac, Bowser Jr., and of course Isaac. All of these characters except one is now in.

Isaac stands alone in history AND prestige. Isaac is not Ridley. Isaac is not K. Rool. Isaac is not Roy. Isaac is not Dark Samus. Isaac is not Chrom. He is facing his own unique circumstances against him and his journey is different. However, where all the journey lie as one is the adversity. The downs. The lows. And the blows. You can know things look bleak, but still press forward. Still fight on to the tomorrow. Know that your next destination might not bring you to where you hoped to be. But still press on. Press on. Chanel the dream within and extend it through hope and heart.

If Golden Sun is brought back through a remake, that is where you must absolutely fight. That is your opening. Fight. Fight. Fight. Fight. Fight. And Give no Respite. You have to buy the game. The game from which my avatar hails (Fire Emblem Thracia 776) was released when the SNES was nine years old, and yet it still ended up being a masterpiece and still to this day one of the best games in the series in my opinion. Kirby's Adventure was released when the Famicom was 10 years old and is widely regarded as one of the platform's foremost masterpieces. A remake/retelling of the series for the 3DS would absolutely be the series's last chance. TAKE IT. RUN WITH IT. FAST. FASTER. EVEN FASTER.

As I told hopeless Roy fans four years ago. Onward. Together we ride.

Isaac for Smash Bros.

May the Sun Shine On

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh, damn so he is literally confirmed to be Jonneh? And he’s confirmed to know some stuff? Well, that opens up a whole ‘nother can of worms.
Yes he's Jonneh and yes he knows stuff, but he usually (especially since he joined Gamexplain) shares stuff mostly under the guise of guesswork, so it's hard to tell what he knows and what he's guessing until afterwards.

Unfortunately he's made no definitive comment on Isaac in Smash, but numerous times he's mentioned how he thinks Banjo could make it in. Worth keeping in mind.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Sorry, but I'm not purchasing another game that will probably not do well.

Espically for a console that I won't be able to play on, and one that I have no interest in buying again.

If they can't get the message of it being released early in a console's life, then i think they will be in for ANOTHER wake up call.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Anyway so this is a bit off topic and out of left field, but if Sakarai really wanted to throw us off guard he might throw one of those beat em up retro characters into smash ultimate as a DLC surprise. Characters such as Jimmy and Billy Lee from Double Dragon, or a character from Streets of Rage.

It's Just a thought I had after Nintendo revealed that Beat em up bundle during the Direct. I mean I could see a Character from those series being rather interesting and have a neat move set. Maybe they could be the only character that can switch from different weapons/items on the fly and also since their games were centered around crowd control fighting maybe they could attack from the front and back at the same time making them have a rather unique set of attacks, as long as they lost a bit of knock back to be fair. I could see a character like that being pretty fun to play.
Axel Stone is one of my low-key pipe dreams. I adore the Streets of Rage series and I'm ecstatic to see the series finally getting revived with a fourth game. If that franchise could come back from the dead after a much longer hiatus from its initial trilogy, then so can Golden Sun.

If a GS release on 3DS ends up happening, I'll buy it to support the series' future even if I don't own the system anymore.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Jon knows more than he's letting on, I guarantee that. There's no way in hell he just guessed Epic Yarn for 3DS AND Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, and XII all in the same direct correctly. That is mathematically impossible...

It's so ****ing weird to think that but how would he have guessed all that and for THIS PARTICULAR DIRECT!? WHAT THE HELL?!
But, he never said Isaac in Smash. Which, given that he knows info, likely means that Isaac isn't in Smash. And our only hope for continuing the series will be convincing millions of people to buy a remake for a dead ****ing system. THAT WAS WHY DARK DAWN FAILED, NINTENDO! WTF DO YOU RELEASE GOLDEN SUN GAMES ON SYSTEMS THAT ARE ALREADY DEAD/DYING?!

Smashmar2

Smash Cadet
Man I wish I saw more inspirational stuff like Chrono up there, that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I still own my 3DS, so if a Golden Sun comes out for the system, and the remaster is faithful to the game(s) and any tweaks, additions are positive, then yeah I'll definitely buy it and probably enjoy it.

I would however worry about how well it'd do in terms of sales, yeah.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
I have not commented in the Isaac thread this round. However, there has been a large Isaac movement for pre-Brawl, pre-Smash 4, and now pre-Ultimate. He is the only character left that has had a very large fanbase for the last ten years.

If I may offer some hope. I was a major supporter of Ridley for the last 17 years (if not the preminent supporter of Ridley), and I heavily pushed for Roy's return in Smash Bros. as well. It got REALLY hopeless for both of these characters after Smash 4. Sakurai went on the record to say Ridley was indeed too big and resizing him would "not make him faithful to who Ridley really is" and Roy had to contend with the fact that there was already four Fire Emblem characters in the game (one of which was a Marth clone) and the fact that since so many Brawl veterans got cut, many viewed his return as low priority at that point. Flash forward to nine months later, Roy despite all odds, returns as DLC for Smash 4.

Ridley, a character with the distinction of being turned down three times and then having Sakurai personally pour cold water on the character, managed to somehow be greenlit only a year after Sakurai made his statements regarding Ridley (Sakurai made his statements on Ridley in November 2014 while the first project plan was submitted in December 2015). Ridley made it in despite all odds. I honestly was never expecting him to be added in after Smash 4.

Look at Young Link and Pichu too? I bet their supporters thought that they would never be in another Smash Bros. game, yet here they are now.

K. Rool needed the ballot to make it in. He was a character who had not been in his own series since 2007, and had not made an appearance outside Smash Bros. since 2008. Many thought he was a shoe-in for Smash 4 or its DLC.

Chrom and Dark Samus are also good examples. Chrom was yet another example of a character whom Sakurai poured cold water on (he said the character was too similar to Marth and Ike), and he was kind of a butt monkey in Smash 4 (see the Robin unveil trailer and the Palutena's guidance for Robin). There was also the general fatigue in general for Fire Emblem to the point where it had become the one series where groans can be heard if the topic of newcomers for it comes up. There was also the fact the character was quickly becoming old news in his own series, with Fates, Shadows of Valentia, and now Three Houses being all more current games to the series. Chrom still made it in due to fan demand.

Dark Samus might have the single most incredible story of making it into Smash Bros. of them all. Ridley, a character that had been heavily requested for over 17 years only made it in with this game. Dark Samus's peak popularity was with the pre-Brawl era. Like K. Rool, her last appearance in her own series was all the way back in 2007, and unlike K. Rool, its unlikely she will ever actually be a part of the storyline again. Metroid Prime content in general always left much to be desired, and in Smash 4 in particular the only Prime trilogy content outside a few songs (all either rips or ports from Brawl) was the Assist Trophy of Dark Samus (all the other Metroid content was mostly stuff from Other M, and a few things from Super/Zero Mission). Most of her dedicated fanbase evaporated as Metroid fans tried to circle the wagons to try to get Ridley in. Ironically it might have been due to Sakurai's own statements on Ridley as to why Dark Samus might have done as well on the ballot as she did (Metroid fans might have been broken on Ridley ever happening and voted for Dark Samus instead so that some sort of Metroid villain got in). Despite all odds, Dark Samus made it in.

I am not saying Isaac is going to be in. Heck, there is a good chance Isaac might not even be an Assist Trophy. However, with the Ultimate a lot of the impossible has been made possible. A lot of the conventional wisdom has been shattered. Who would have thought Daisy would make it in as our Mario newcomer over the likes of Toad, Geno, Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Captain Toad?

Just keep expectations low, and you might be surprised. Sakurai's own words in the last dedicated Smash Bros. direct was that there were only a few more fighters left to be unveiled. He has already unveiled K. Rool and Isabelle after this statement. Realistically, there likely is not any more than five fighters left at this point, with there possibly being as little as only three more (one more non-echo and two more echoes).

If Isaac for whatever reason does not make it in as an Assist Trophy or fighter, its not necessarily the end. He could potentially be DLC. Just support the character. However, those who think he is "likely" are setting themselves up for a disappointment. Just support him. Realize the journey is likely going to get you kicked in the face quite a bit along the way. Ridley fans had this extensively. K. Rool fans too. If Isaac is their equal, it is his turn to eat pain.

Now, if those rumors of a Golden Sun remake on 3DS are true. I would absolutely implore Golden Sun fans to purchase the hell out of that game. Do not cry or whine that is on an outdated console or that you hate handhelds. If you truly care about the future of Isaac. The future of Golden Sun and its universe. You would not only buy that game, but you would try your best to get others to play it too. That is absolutely your last chance to save the franchise. Going about thinking you can save the franchise just from memeing Isaac into Smash Bros. is backwards. If Golden Sun's remake does well it puts him in a much better position going forward. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Do not. Pirate the game. $40 to support your character and franchise of choice is not a hardship. It is your duty. Words talk. Actions walk.

I myself am sympathetic to Isaac and Golden Sun fans even though I am still not even through the first game in the series (I bought both of the GBA games during the last four years). I hope some day I can appreciate this series like the rest of you. However, you will need to realize that in this journey, the paths and obstacles will not be the same as what others have faced. Everyone has their own journey. Appreciate the strength of others while you cultivate your own. This journey might be over in a few months, or it might take another decade. Keep at it.

There are very few important and iconic Nintendo characters left not yet playable yet in Smash Bros. Dixie Kong, Toad, and maybe Bandanna Dee might be all that is left. Isaac is on the knife edge between being an "all-star" and just a "cult favorite". After Brawl's release, the fanbases of many characters that failed to make it in after Brawl collapsed after a few years. Of the few that did not, they were Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man, Little Mac, Bowser Jr., and of course Isaac. All of these characters except one is now in.

Isaac stands alone in history AND prestige. Isaac is not Ridley. Isaac is not K. Rool. Isaac is not Roy. Isaac is not Dark Samus. Isaac is not Chrom. He is facing his own unique circumstances against him and his journey is different. However, where all the journey lie as one is the adversity. The downs. The lows. And the blows. You can know things look bleak, but still press forward. Still fight on to the tomorrow. Know that your next destination might not bring you to where you hoped to be. But still press on. Press on. Chanel the dream within and extend it through hope and heart.

If Golden Sun is brought back through a remake, that is where you must absolutely fight. That is your opening. Fight. Fight. Fight. Fight. Fight. And Give no Respite. You have to buy the game. The game from which my avatar hails (Fire Emblem Thracia 776) was released when the SNES was nine years old, and yet it still ended up being a masterpiece and still to this day one of the best games in the series in my opinion. Kirby's Adventure was released when the Famicom was 10 years old and is widely regarded as one of the platform's foremost masterpieces. A remake/retelling of the series for the 3DS would absolutely be the series's last chance. TAKE IT. RUN WITH IT. FAST. FASTER. EVEN FASTER.

Isaac for Smash Bros.

May the Sun Shine On
Not going to lie, I think I shed a tear reading through that...

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I bought DD day one.

And 8 years later, it still hasn't made a difference.

If Nintendo is not making any effort to put it on Switch, then that's already a potential million consumers lost.

1 purchase on 3DS would triple if it was released on Switch.

If this rumor is true, nothing will save this series. Since the fans weren't able to save it last time.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I bought DD day one.

And 8 years later, it still hasn't made a difference.

If Nintendo is not making any effort to put it on Switch, then that's already a potential million consumers lost.

1 purchase on 3DS would triple if it was released on Switch.

If this rumor is true, nothing will save this series. Since the fans weren't able to save it last time.
I bought Dark Dawn, Zip Lash, and Federation Force.

It does nothing.

The series will die on 3DS.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
If Nintendo releases GS on the 3DS, no one should waste their money on that, lmao. Nothing you could do would save any GS game on 3DS in 2018 from an inevitable, abysmal failure.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I bought Dark Dawn, Zip Lash, and Federation Force.

It does nothing.

The series will die on 3DS.
Yeah. it will most certainly not do well enough, and the series will go into hybernation yet again.

I'm not bothering with Nintendo anymore if they're just gonna **** around with my favorite franchise like that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
But, he never said Isaac in Smash. Which, given that he knows info, likely means that Isaac isn't in Smash. And our only hope for continuing the series will be convincing millions of people to buy a remake for a dead ****ing system. THAT WAS WHY DARK DAWN FAILED, NINTENDO! WTF DO YOU RELEASE GOLDEN SUN GAMES ON SYSTEMS THAT ARE ALREADY DEAD/DYING?!
He literally said K. Rool wouldn't be in Smash RIGHT BEFORE K. ROOL WAS REVEALED FOR SMASH.

Jon knows SOME info. But he doesn't know everything.

Muirkat

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, I have no idea why you are so down about Isaac not showing up yet. LOTS of people pointed out that they were likely to only show off one character, and tying it into the new Animal Crossing the way they did made a lot of sense. Personally, I'm psyched about Isabelle. She's freaking adorable. She's also gonna be top tier and win every tournament by virtue of "What, you gonna hit her? I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were a LITERAL MONSTER!"

Isaac is more likely to be announced in a Smash direct where Sakurai can have time to explain the characters moves, the stage, and anything else the new series might provide. It's the exact same thing he did with the Inklings and Castlevania.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If Nintendo releases GS on the 3DS, no one should waste their money on that, lmao. Nothing you could do would save any GS game on 3DS in 2018 from an inevitable, abysmal failure.
You raised the white flag before the battle even begun.

Did what I write not register at all?

If you are spiritually defeated, how can you know victory?

Do you not know that when you win it tastes sweeter knowing you worked and toiled for it?

This is the age of social media. Many people (especially those under 30) live their lives umbilically attached to the social media accounts. The age of the meme. Viral.

Instead of squawking in a thread endlessly, or throwing epithets and insults at a man who cannot read them. Open your heart. Your love. Your endearment. If this remake is made. Explain to the world what makes this series a cut above the rest and why it is something truly special. Cherish this opportunity. Its a small opening. It might not look like a winnable battle. However, please do not surrender before it has not even begun.

Dreams are the conception of reality. However, they must be nurtured, matured, and fed through the womb of action and perseverance. Do not quit already. The Isaac fanbase now has the largest and oldest fanbase of all remaining characters for Smash Bros. Put this to good use. This is your own unique battle. Call up to it and rise to the challenge.

Instead of mutually stroking each other, evangelize the dream. Help grow it. There are over 70 million 3DSs out there. You are telling me you cannot envision a possible hope. A future?

The Isaac fanbase can save the Golden Sun franchise if they so desire. Do not give up. Dream. Plan. Make Action.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Quoting this for emphasis. Yes, Dark Dawn on DS was a dumb move, and so would a remaster now on 3DS. If that does become the case, though, please take it seriously. I've just seen something very similar happen in Magic the Gathering with a revival of their Un-sets, and the messaging from the designers was very clear: it took them years to convince corporate to print it, and if it didn't sell, they would never be able to get one greenlit again. The fans proceeded to rally behind it, and thanks to all the attention it got it became a success. Since then we've been told pretty bluntly that the fan response has saved the Un-sets going forward.

Similarly, if we ever get a new Golden Sun release, no matter what it may be, we need to do our best both to buy it and to convince others to as well. If we don't, it won't matter if it was sent to die on an outdated system: Nintendo will consider it a failure and quite possibly shelve the series permanently. Right now this is purely hypothetical, but if it ever becomes reality we need to put aside any cynicism and do our best to support the series. Otherwise, well, I guess that will be that.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Isaac for Smash Bros.

May the Sun Shine On
Sound advice Chrono, and it's nice to have you on board. ^_^

And I totally agree with your sentiment towards supporting the game. Of course it's not an ideal situation, a niche RPG on a dying console. But it would be, bar none, the greatest testament we can give to show that Golden Sun still has fans out there, there is still love for the series and to make our voice heard. Perhaps nothing will come of it, but acquiescing to the odds against us is not the foundation of Isaac support, it runs antithetical to that. Fortune hasn't been with Isaac since 2001. The only reason Isaac support is what it is today, the only reason the character still has a shot is because we looked at the odds surmounted against us and tossed them aside because Golden Sun is worth championing.

Despite the unjust dearth of acknowledgement the series garnered, we persevered. Golden Sun had two million+ sellers yet Isaac didn't get into Brawl, and we stuck around. Then Dark Dawn was underwhelming in most respects and Isaac got cut from the role he had in Smash, and we stuck around. Then literally nothing happened, Isaac wasn't even made a Mii costume and due to some shady corporate deception, we discarded the ballot as a source of help, AND WE STUCK AROUND. Maybe I missed the part where the last decade and a half was favourable to us. Yet now Isaac, with all the things working against him, is topping the charts.

And now people want to throw in the towel, pass up on a remake because the future seems grim? Because we're in an unfavourable situation? Because Nintendo is once against stacking the deck against us? ...are you new here? Now, like with the ballot (which we SHOWED UP for) we actually have a fleeting chance to prove our mettle, we would literally have the opportunity to speak Nintendo's language and put our money where are mouths are, and now people want to turn tail? C'mon.

Any Isaac fan worth their salt should understand why supporting a game on which the future of the series quite possibly rests, even one mired by adverse and baffling oversight, is paramount. This is exactly the situation a fanbase fed on scraps for fifteen years should steel themselves for. An actual chance to make a difference, realism be damned. It never helped us anyway. I know I would feel ****ty if I continued to push for Isaac yet when the chance to support the series itself arose, I waved as it passed me by.

So however it pans out, if this game is even real, which is a big if, I know I'll be there with my $40 and I don't even know if I'll play the damn thing. I'm so done with my 3DS I've no clue where it even is. :p

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
They could release the game on my cell phone and I’d probably buy it. I love it that much (even though cell phone ports suck).

But it would still kill the series.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think some of you really need to go to sleep to hopefully relax your minds. It’s not like Sakurai came out and said Isabelle is the last newcomer. Right now some of you sound worse than those gamefaqs detractors we used to poke some fun at. All is NOT lost good people!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Yeah...they're stacking the deck against us...AGAIN.

Spiritually defeated my ass. It's not as if I paid for a brand new copy of Dark Dawn when it came out. Trust me, if my purchase really mattered in the end, we wouldn't be here.

And really, I'll just be pissed. Because i thought they would LEARN this time. But if they do this same STUPID mistake again, then it shows to me that they are still brain dead when it comes to decsions.

I'm not supporting this. I've done this before, but I sure as hell ain't doing it again if this is how it is.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
They’ve got ACES and its boat section. They have a working engine for Switch. If anything, it’ll be on both systems.

...Right..?

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Yeah maybe you guys were right. I haven't been around long enough to truly know the struggle the way many of you have. Also, it's been a long week. Worst sleep I've had in a long while...

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...they're stacking the deck against us...AGAIN.

Spiritually defeated my ***. It's not as if I paid for a brand new copy of Dark Dawn when it came out. Trust me, if my purchase really mattered in the end, we wouldn't be here.

And really, I'll just be pissed. Because i thought they would LEARN this time. But if they do this same STUPID mistake again, then it shows to me that they are still brain dead when it comes to decsions.

I'm not supporting this. I've done this before, but I sure as hell ain't doing it again if this is how it is.
There is still some hope with this...

What classic game is being ported to the 3ds? Luigi’s mansion.

What game was just announced for the Switch? Luigi’s mansion 3!

I’m not saying it’s a guarantee but there is a possibility that they are planning a future Golden Sun release on the Switch. Just saying

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
There is still some hope with this...

What classic game is being ported to the 3ds? Luigi’s mansion.

What game was just announced for the Switch? Luigi’s mansion 3!

I’m not saying it’s a guarantee but there is a possibility that they are planning a future Golden Sun release on the Switch. Just saying
But Luigi's Mansion 3 was announced before Luigi's mansion had released.
And really, didn't we all expect a LM3? Espically since LM2 (unfortunately) sold well for the 3DS?

Heck, Metroid also had two games announced side by side.

But GS isn't as big as those two, sorry to say.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Morning guys! Man I feel hyped again! Okay while it stung that Isaac didn't get in, it makes sense considering they were announcing Animal Crossing in this Direct.

We still have October and November. And based on my statistics being spot on again, that gives me hope there are at least 3+ more Unique spots with Isaac's name on them.

And we have to stick together. We are going through the hard times and it is down to us the Isaac fans to stand tall and accept it wasn't the Sunny Day we wanted.

Last thing we want is to have the news media reporting how Golden Sun fans have become the new Waluigi fans. We have to suck it up and continuing our Golden Boy Isaac!

So I'm going over to Isabelle's thread to congratulate them. Then I will be back to give Isaac more support then I have done before!

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
But Luigi's Mansion 3 was announced before Luigi's mansion had released.
And really, didn't we all expect a LM3? Espically since LM2 (unfortunately) sold well for the 3DS?

Heck, Metroid also had two games announced side by side.

But GS isn't as big as those two, sorry to say.
I agree but we all know Golden Sun got its trademark renewed. We’ve also known about LM coming to 3ds for a while now. GS on 3ds is still just a rumor so the announcement may be a new game on the Switch with the old ones bundled on the 3ds. It’s not like Nintendo hasn’t made weird choices before lol. Plus we just saw Isabelle used as promotional material for a new game. Whose to say Nintendo saw the popularity of Golden Sun on the ballot and are now trying to capitalize on it by using Isaac in Smash to revive interest in the series???

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I feel the need to point out that while Jon obviously has info what he is and isn't speculating on is anyone's guess. He could be saying Golden Sun is getting remade and that just be a guess but the rest of it be legit.

Or maybe Golden Sun will be released on Switch and he's trying to throw people off the scent. This is all just fun speculation and you guys are taking it way, way, WAY too seriously. It was a good way to get discussion going but it has quickly diverged into pure unadulterated salt. And you know what I'm about to let off some steam on y'all real quick.

For the record if Golden Sun did get a 3DS remake I wouldn't just give up on the series right then and there and no I don't think the 3DS would "kill" the series. The 3DS has a FAR larger install base than the Switch whether you give a **** about the console or not. As a matter of fact it's probably more likely to sell on 3DS because of that. Just because we don't want it on 3DS doesn't mean it can't be successful. Of course if it gets announced and we sit around bad mouthing and shaming it and saying how "stupid" and "brain dead" Nintendo is for doing it it'll give the game a bad energy and then it'll bomb and it'll be our fault. I'll buy the ****ing game and I'll stress to other people to buy the game just like I did when Samus Returns came out, and that game did as well as a Metroid game usually does, and I'll do my damndest to make sure that other people can experience the awesome game that is Golden Sun no matter what console it's on because whether it's on 3DS or on Switch it's still a ****ing spectacular game. Because that's all I really want. Is for Golden Sun to be relevant so that more people can enjoy it. If you're just going to roll over and say that Nintendo killed the franchise by giving it new life on a console that wasn't your specific choice then why the hell are you wanting the franchise to be revived in the first place?

I got a little heated there but damn guys. Does the game really deserve to be revived if we're going to be so ****ing entitled to kill the game on arrival just because it wasn't on our system of choice? What's the point in even caring if we don't even try?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I agree but we all know Golden Sun got its trademark renewed. We’ve also known about LM coming to 3ds for a while now. GS on 3ds is still just a rumor so the announcement may be a new game on the Switch with the old ones bundled on the 3ds. It’s not like Nintendo hasn’t made weird choices before lol. Plus we just saw Isabelle used as promotional material for a new game. Whose to say Nintendo saw the popularity of Golden Sun on the ballot and are now trying to capitalize on it by using Isaac in Smash to revive interest in the series???
I'm hope that is the scenario.

Because I want GS to grow, and Nintendo isn't gonna make it grow if it's thrown at the 3DS at its last dying breath.

And to those that said that the 3DS has a larger install base than the switch.

The DS had an install base of over 100 million. And even it didn't be save DD.

Edit: Also Samus Returns was at least announced alongside MP4. So the comparison isn't nearly as solid.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I feel the need to point out that while Jon obviously has info what he is and isn't speculating on is anyone's guess. He could be saying Golden Sun is getting remade and that just be a guess but the rest of it be legit.

Or maybe Golden Sun will be released on Switch and he's trying to throw people off the scent. This is all just fun speculation and you guys are taking it way, way, WAY too seriously. It was a good way to get discussion going but it has quickly diverged into pure unadulterated salt. And you know what I'm about to let off some steam on y'all real quick.

For the record if Golden Sun did get a 3DS remake I wouldn't just give up on the series right then and there and no I don't think the 3DS would "kill" the series. The 3DS has a FAR larger install base than the Switch whether you give a **** about the console or not. As a matter of fact it's probably more likely to sell on 3DS because of that. Just because we don't want it on 3DS doesn't mean it can't be successful. Of course if it gets announced and we sit around bad mouthing and shaming it and saying how "stupid" and "brain dead" Nintendo is for doing it it'll give the game a bad energy and then it'll bomb and it'll be our fault. I'll buy the ****ing game and I'll stress to other people to buy the game just like I did when Samus Returns came out, and that game did as well as a Metroid game usually does, and I'll do my damndest to make sure that other people can experience the awesome game that is Golden Sun no matter what console it's on because whether it's on 3DS or on Switch it's still a ****ing spectacular game. Because that's all I really want. Is for Golden Sun to be relevant so that more people can enjoy it. If you're just going to roll over and say that Nintendo killed the franchise by giving it new life on a console that wasn't your specific choice then why the hell are you wanting the franchise to be revived in the first place?

I got a little heated there but damn guys. Does the game really deserve to be revived if we're going to be so ****ing entitled to kill the game on arrival just because it wasn't on our system of choice? What's the point in even caring if we don't even try?
I'd be grateful on it for my 3DS and thanks to Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn I need more 3DS titles. I hate having half full storage boxes.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

I’m not trying to kill the game. I’d still buy it, play it, enjoy it, and encourage others to do the same. Just like I did with Dark Dawn. I’m just predicting, as with Dark Dawn, it will change nothing.

And the 3DS might have a large base of people who own the system. But how large is the base of those who have bought a game for it in the last year? The DS has an even larger install base, maybe they should release it on that.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I almost don't want to make posts here now because I don't want to bring people down.

At this point I'm expecting 3-4 more unique newcomers and on top of that I think Dixie Kong is more likely to be unique than a clone now. So that's one extra competitor we didn't have yesterday. Since I believe Vergeben that also means two of those 3-4 unique fighters are likely Incineroar and the Square Enix character. Not to mention if Minecraft content is in the game we're probably getting a unique fighter from Microsoft as well.

I still intend to support Isaac but I also feel like I haven't much positive to say. :p

Top Bottom