• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Haven't been able to locate any Advance Wars tracks. There don't appear to be any, not even rips.

Wow, 2 tracks for Golden Sun, 0 for Advance Wars.....
And I was hoping we'd get a full playable character from each of these series.......
Yeah....it really ****ing sucks. I also really love the Wars series and was hoping to see it get more love. I can’t believe they took out the AT. But as GS fans we know how that goes... Maybe if Andy gets a lot of support we can get the AT back...

But of course we can’t get a playable character from either of those series which could really benefit from it and maybe Nintendo could bring them back and have more IP’s to make money from. We need another ****ing Pokemon because that series NEEDS a new rep every game. It’s not like the Let’s Go games didn’t just sell 3 million copies in their first week.

Last edited:

TappyBat

Smash Ace
The tracks thing for GS is still fishy to me... Like if you are adding to other franchises that have only had music before what is deterring you from adding GS music if Sakuraba is part of the composers?
And also, I've read around 90% of the spirits have already appeared / been addressed by now and we still haven't seen an Isaac spirit?
he's gotta have one right? does the black knight?

Icana

Smash Apprentice
It appears Camelot is still working on Mario Tennis Aces:

Luma, Boom Boom, and Pauline are joining the roster. If only Nintendo would let Camelot throw in a stylized Isaac for our fan-service. They adapted Link for Mario Kart 8, so it's totally doable.

ZelDan

Smash Master

Luma, Boom Boom, and Pauline are joining the roster. If only Nintendo would let Camelot throw in a stylized Isaac for our fan-service. They adapted Link for Mario Kart 8, so it's totally doable.
Yeah it would be kinda cool to see Isaac in Aces. Maybe if Isaac got into Mario Tennis Aces, it'd convince Sakurai to put Isaac into Smash.

(inb4 Sakurai does makes Isaac Ultimate DLC thanks to Mario Tennis Aces, but gives him an entirely tennis-based moveset)

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

I don't know if that means they are still working on it or were just things done later on development. I do wish Nintendo would let them introduce Isaac as a fan service nod, GS was already referenced in aces anyways

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I'd actually buy aces if Isaac was announced as dlc lol, and I'm not even interested in mario tennis games in the slightest

StrawHatX

Smash Lord

If Isaac got into Mario Tennis Aces then maybe Sakurai and the Smash team would add him in future DLC as a Mario character since they refuse to add any Golden Sun characters.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

DLC isn't done like that. DLC is typically done by a small team while the main team is working on something else. Also do we even know Camelot did this? Nintendo could have their own team set up to handle DLC with Camelot working on something totally different.

Do you have a photo? I’ve actually been hoping he’d get one.
Allegedly it's in the datamine. Supposedly most third party costumes got cut.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Do you have a photo? I’ve actually been hoping he’d get one.
No unfortunately. In the spoiler thread people are watching a stream of someone going through the files. We got Isaac, Adult Isaac, Ivan, Garet, Mia, Felix, Jenna, and Matthew spirits.

And when going through the Mii costume files an Isaac costume was discovered.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I never cared for Mii costumes, so Isaac getting a Mii costume doesn't exactly do that much for me. Maybe if I saw it myself I'd feel differently, but eh.

I guess one upside is we can make a version of Isaac that doesn't sound like he's 9 years old.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No unfortunately. In the spoiler thread people are watching a stream of someone going through the files. We got Isaac, Adult Isaac, Ivan, Garet, Mia, Felix, Jenna, and Matthew spirits.

And when going through the Mii costume files an Isaac costume was discovered.
The problem with that list of spirits is the language being in English. If the Mii costume is the Japanese name why the hell would the spirits be the English names?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
The problem with that list of spirits is the language being in English. If the Mii costume is the Japanese name why the hell would the spirits be the English names?
I have no idea. Then again I didn’t see the what the Mii costume name was listed as. Just heard he was in. What is his Japanese name?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I have no idea. Then again I didn’t see the what the Mii costume name was listed as. Just heard he was in. What is his Japanese name?
The Mii costume labels him as Robin. Which is correct, that's his Japanese name.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I never cared for Mii costumes, so Isaac getting a Mii costume doesn't exactly do that much for me. Maybe if I saw it myself I'd feel differently, but eh.

I guess one upside is we can make a version of Isaac that doesn't sound like he's 9 years old.
I understand why you feel that way but look at it this way, after the ballot we got the AT back, a bunch of spirits, and a Mii costume when the game before we went backwards. At least we can't say they didn't notice our presence on the ballot.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I understand why you feel that way but look at it this way, after the ballot we got the AT back, a bunch of spirits, and a Mii costume when the game before we went backwards. At least we can't say they didn't notice our presence on the ballot.
I get that, I'm not exactly trying to come across as angry or anything, I just never got much into the Mii fighters in Smash 4 (I didn't even get any of the mii costume DLC or Smash 4).

That said, make an Isaac Mii fighter, slap an Isaac spirit on it, and boom, you got almost Isaac!

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I get that, I'm not exactly trying to come across as angry or anything, I just never got much into the Mii fighters in Smash 4 (I didn't even get any of the mii costume DLC or Smash 4).

That said, make an Isaac Mii fighter, slap an Isaac spirit on it, and boom, you got almost Isaac!
My dreams are almost realized!

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I expected Isaac to get a Mii costume. It wouldn't make sense to give other popular ballot choices one and not him. At least he got a little something more I guess

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I hope you guys can appreciate the Mii costume for what it is. I'm in a similar spot with Dixie where I'm at least happy she got some acknowledgment.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm really glad about the Mii costume. I'm way more interested in the Mii Fighter in general this time around, as not only can the spirit battles be pretty cool with them wearing various outfits to fit the themes, you can play with them online (at least that was Sakurai's goal?). That's the best place to show support for a favourite character, I know I'll be rocking the Isaac costume while playing as Mii Fighter.

An Assist Trophy and a Mii Costume + spirits, this is the most Golden Sun has got so far in a Smash game haha! We can only grow from here.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, Isaac Mii Costume? Well, that certainly feels like we've made a dent at last. Only problem is that the ballot wasn't enough to get a Isaac Mii DLC costume in Smash 4, like K. Rool got. Just another case of feeling sooooo close, yet so far. On the plus side, we finally got a bit more Golden Sun content. Next stop, playable character, stage, and more music! :b:

DLC isn't done like that. DLC is typically done by a small team while the main team is working on something else. Also do we even know Camelot did this? Nintendo could have their own team set up to handle DLC with Camelot working on something totally different.
The team that worked on Mario Tennis Aces is really small: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Tennis_Aces/credits

I'm curious if this is the full staff of Camelot Software Planning today. For DLC, they probably wouldn't need BG staff on just character additions, so it's possible they're working on outlining a new project (hopefully not Mario Golf).

I think Gioka Gioka might have a point in that they're wrapping up unfinished work and had a free DLC charter planned out to bring in fresh content to the game and keep the base playing for a year or so, similar to Arms and Splatoon. An uncredited Nintendo team designing, modeling, and animating new characters is possible, I suppose, but I think Camelot still hacking away at it is the more plausible scenario. The super shot animations still feel very Camelot, and balancing run speed, shot power, etc, with the rest of the cast would suggest they're game designers are still involved at the very least.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Any idea to make some noise for DLC wave 2?

Isaac behing the odd one behing missing as spirit, why is he alway the last one to be deconfirm lol.
I honestly don’t think there will be a Wave 2 of dlc but of course companies love money so who knows.

For now we should just worry about spreading our love and enjoyment of Golden Sun on social media while also being sure to be the most active on important dates for the series such as release anniversaries. Let’s also hope the trademark means something!

Once we see the first DLC character then we’ll know if we should get our hopes up or not. Sadly I feel that unless a new Golden Sun game is on the horizon then we probably won’t be seeing a playable Golden Sun character, but stranger things have happened in Smash before. Just remember Nintendo is gonna pick what they believe will sale to the casual audience as they are the majority so our best bet moving forward is to push hard for a new game!

dilfsR'us

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5253-6645-3708
i can live with a returning assist trophy, a bunch of spirits and a mii costume, it means at least nintendo cares a bit more about golden sun and hopefully notice the fanbase. hopefully all of the trademark news points to a new game, maybe they are waitig to put the hypothetical protaganist of the new game in smash... i can only dream.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I can't help but feel Sakurai is talking about us/Golden Sun/Isaac in his latest interview with some of these choice quotes:

The "feeling" he's referring to is disappointment, I think. Naturally, we're disappointed our highly requested character, whom had a previous appearance in Brawl, had completely disappeared from Smash 4, leading to playable speculation for Smash 4 DLC, leading to the ballot, and then ending with Ultimate... reviving his Brawl AT (granted, with an updated design and move set).

The word "spot" was used here. Kinda implies the idea of limited 'slots' for characters are indeed a thing behind the scenes.

On surprising fans and including Piranha Plant:

Unfortunately, I feel he may be eluding to Isaac here. He would fit the typical hero/heroine slot that he filled with Simon/Richter/Inkling and is from a franchise that isn't well known today.

That and I'm sure director bias plays a role too, since I've no doubt Rex would've been playable if XB 2 was released back in 2015 or earlier. That was kinda implied during the Mii costume segment of the last Smash direct. Rex would fit the bolded remarks as well, the difference being that Xenoblade is active and more relevant today than Golden Sun that's been out of the spotlight for many years now (but was once just as popular as the latest Xeno entry).

Source: https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...lant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros

Anyway, all this feeds into the thought that the only way Isaac/Golden Sun is getting a playable rep in Smash is for a new Golden Sun game to come out and for it's sales to perform in a way that is simply too big to ignore. Golden Sun may have been shy of 2 million units shipped world-wide years ago, but games like Splatoon are phenomenons, with the latest entry having shipped over 7 million units and still selling game copies and Switch systems today. No way Inkling is getting ignored. Also, have we seen Agent 8/Octolings as spirits yet? I think they're a contender for Smash Ultimate DLC as well, especially if Nintendo is deciding these last five fighters. They were just released with the Octo-expansion a couple months ago, and they will no doubt be mainstays to the series moving forward.
It would be something if Golden Sun gets a new game, blows the sales out of the water, and Isaac still not get picked by Sakurai cause, 'Choosing the typical hero/heroine is not very interesting right?' lol.

But, yeah I'm not actually too fussed about the hero part cause I know he's saying that to justify Pirahna Plant as a character on the roster, just like he justified the clones back in 4 since both likely got the same negative reception.

Dormant series was always the biggest hurdle anyways, ballot was the only wild card but that kind of fell on it's head. Isaac consistently stays a highly wanted request despite not having a recent game in years. With a game? Good luck ignoring that.

dilfsR'us

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5253-6645-3708
and as much as i hate to say it i feel like if any character was to be revived from assist trophy purgatory it would be waluigi after all of the memes and backlash and death threats.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
I don't think they'll be a wave 2 for DLC, at least not with Sakurai at the helm. The guy has been working on nothing but Smash since Kid Icarus Uprising was released in 2012 (technically Bamco's work on Smash 4 started before that). In 2020 that will have been over eight years Sakurai has been plugging away at this franchise. The reason he sighted having left Hal Laboratories many years ago was implied that Nintendo/Hal kept assigning him on sequels/Kirby games over and over again.

https://www.nsidr.com/archive/hal-laboratory-company-profile/5

from nsidr said:
"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming," said Masahiro Sakurai on August 26, 2003, in an interview with Nintendo Dream, two weeks after his resignation from HAL Laboratory. "Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."
At the end of the day though, it's Nintendo's call. If Nintendo wants more, they can probably do it, but I imagine they'll want to keep good relations with Sakurai and if he isn't up for more, then it's probably a wrap as far as DLC is concerned. Also, in the direct he's already implying he's getting tired, wondering if he'll ever get a break. I think the next five characters will be the last set of characters for Smash for the next several years. Of course, like you guys, all I want is Isaac, though any Golden Sun rep would be suit. That's looking like a steep hill to climb in the next year, but hey, you never know. Maybe a new Golden Sun game is on the horizon! Only when we give up is it truly over.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
One more thing to make sure I get once it comes.

From what I've heard, Final Fantasy only has the same 2 tracks from Smash 4.

There must be some odd licensing problems between Nintendo and Square Enix or something for FF's representation to be so low. Couldn't even be bothered to get Cloud's English VA even on his second go.
I'll go ahead and say it - that's because SE is getting a new rep. And I'm quite certain the SE rep will be Chocobo (hence no new FF tracks) for many reasons: Extremely iconic worldwide, the only mascot of a company with a playable rep that isn't playable, would sell like crazy, targets a demographic Cloud doesn't, new Chocobo game soon released on Switch, Chocobo series revival, famous theme song, tons of potential as a fighter, ...

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll go ahead and say it - that's because SE is getting a new rep. And I'm quite certain the SE rep will be Chocobo (hence no new FF tracks) for many reasons
Nah.

I'd bet money that it isn't Chocobo.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It would be something if Golden Sun gets a new game, blows the sales out of the water, and Isaac still not get picked by Sakurai cause, 'Choosing the typical hero/heroine is not very interesting right?' lol.

But, yeah I'm not actually too fussed about the hero part cause I know he's saying that to justify Pirahna Plant as a character on the roster, just like he justified the clones back in 4 since both likely got the same negative reception.

Dormant series was always the biggest hurdle anyways, ballot was the only wild card but that kind of fell on it's head. Isaac consistently stays a highly wanted request despite not having a recent game in years. With a game? Good luck ignoring that.
Clones and weird character choices exists since Melee.

I don't think he has any problem with hero characters, he just wants to add something different once in a while, it doesn't mean quote itself is an excuse.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Clones and weird character choices exists since Melee.

I don't think he has any problem with hero characters, he just wants to add something different once in a while, it doesn't mean quote itself is an excuse.
Isn’t Isaac really unique though already? I’ve wanted him in for his mix of earth based specials and magic attacks along with somewhere implementing the djinn system. As far as I know Isaac has a lot going for him for a unique moveset. He’s far from a generic swordsman.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Isn’t Isaac really unique though already? I’ve wanted him in for his mix of earth based specials and magic attacks along with somewhere implementing the djinn system. As far as I know Isaac has a lot going for him for a unique moveset. He’s far from a generic swordsman.
I didn't mentioned that stupid "generic swordsmen" argument. I'm just saying he's the playable protagonist of a JRPG. Perfectly legit reason for his inclusion but also not different than Ness or Marth or Shulk and I can get why Sakurai also adds characters like Ice Climbers or Wii Fit Trainer or Piranha Plant.

It isn't related to movesets.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So Isaac got a Mii costume. That’s something
With how little I was expecting, this actually seems nice. Hopefully his accompanied sword is something else than the square block he carries in his AT.

Icana

Smash Apprentice

I was just watching this music video and... at 1:23 the protagonist of this movie, Big Fish & Begonia, uses Growth from Golden Sun. lol

Also one of the main dudes looks sorta like a younger Fei from Xenogears.

Last edited:
Top Bottom