• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Hey IsaacBros, just wanted to take a moment from your day and show off this video
I've been working on for the past couple of days. Lloyd is the character I'm pulling for the most when it comes to smash ultimate.
I thought it'd be fun to test myself and try to bring together all the information I had available to make the case on why he's a top contender for one of the 5 DLC spots. I've never made a video before so I'm totally new to editing and voicing things so im defs open to any and all feedback you guys may have. Feel free to share it as much as you can! I know you guys really supported us LloydBros through everything and just thought I'd share with you guys where he stands right now. Thanks!

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Hmm… Should I make Isaac or Matthew as the full body smashified render? Now I'm curious because I don't know what people's hopes are in now (I haven't caught up with many previous pages yet, I've been away a bit).
As others have said, I would still make Isaac. He's the most recognizable and the most requested, regardless of his chances.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Forgot to post this here! For those doing the Golden Sunday, here is the open letter! Ready to go! Had a great amount of help getting this ready!

View attachment 176812View attachment 176813
The advertisement that I talked about before (that said we should talk to Sakurai about Isaac) had the same format, I'm relieved to see this letter not involving that. I'll ask a friend if I can share this on his group, we convinced him to play GS1 recently.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Nazyrus Nazyrus I forgot to ask. Are you making the Isaac render pose based off the GS box cover art, or do you have something better in mind?

Regardless, I can't wait to see it! :b:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Nazyrus Nazyrus I forgot to ask. Are you making the Isaac render pose based off the GS box cover art, or do you have something better in mind?

Regardless, I can't wait to see it! :b:
I was thinking in doing either that or Matthew's pose from the DD box cover art, or something similar. I feel like it really has to be dynamic like that, cause a chilling pose like Marth's render wouldn't really seem fitting for Isaac.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I was thinking in doing either that or Matthew's pose from the DD box cover art, or something similar. I feel like it really has to be dynamic like that, cause a chilling pose like Marth's render wouldn't really seem fitting for Isaac.
Just to throw this idea. You could have him posing as in the GS box art but with the earth shaking under his feet, wild growth in the background, and anything earth shattering that shows off his Venus adept powers. Showing people he "doesn't need no blade" or not your typical "swordsman". Lol

Edit: The other reason I suggest the idea is because I always imagined Sakurai doing that pose for Isaac. Like he did with Simon and Richter for example as their poses relate to their box art.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, what characters do you see as Spirits? Naturally, they'd be limited to artwork, meaning we're limited to the following characters (and most of these actually come from the Nintendo Dream guide for Ogon no Taiyo: Shikkokunaru Yoake, aka Golden Sun: Dark Dawn which was a bounty of art that wasn't accessible elsewhere):

• Garet
  • Ivan
  • Mia
  • Jenna
  • Sheba
  • Piers
  • Saturos
  • Menardi
  • Karst
  • Agatio
  • Alex (Original)
  • Briggs with Eoleo
  • Susa and Kushinada
  • Hydros
  • Kraden
  • Isaac (Dark Dawn)
  • Tyrell
  • Karis
  • Rief
  • Amiti
  • Sveta
  • Eoleo (Adult)
  • Himi
  • Blados
  • Chalis
  • King Volchek
  • Alex (Arcanus) - Potential Evolution
  • Tua Warrior
  • Belinsk Musical Band
And here's some artwork for enemies that would, if they would be in, would be support spirits at novice levels (and, yes, the Djinn would be in this group):
  • Punch Ant
  • Slime
  • Amaze
  • Dark Devourer
  • Sludge
  • Momonga
  • Bat
  • Ape
  • Spider
  • Lizard Man
  • Salamander
  • Venus Djinn
  • Mercury Djinn
  • Mars Djinn
  • Jupiter Djinn

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I really hope there is a dedicated GS area. And we have to fight Isaac's AT along with Roy/Garet, Shulk/Ivan, and Zelda/Mia. That would be cool!

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I really hope there is a dedicated GS area. And we have to fight Isaac's AT along with Roy/Garet, Shulk/Ivan, and Zelda/Mia. That would be cool!
What if you had to fight Link, Marth, Shulk, and Isaac's AT in order and then team up with them against Rathalos, just like a certain Sakurai tweet?

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
So I just heard that Nintendo is hiring for a dungeon level designer for a new LoZ game...

I have a crazy theory for y’all.

What if it isn’t a new LoZ game? What if they’re saying that to throw people off? What if it’s a new Golden Sun game?

Legend of Zelda and Golden Sun both have in depth puzzle based dungeons.

It seems weird to me that they’d be working on a new Zelda game already. Unless it’s more of a traditional Zelda game...

It’s probably nothing, but it’s something else to reach for.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
So I just heard that Nintendo is hiring for a dungeon level designer for a new LoZ game...

I have a crazy theory for y’all.

What if it isn’t a new LoZ game? What if they’re saying that to throw people off? What if it’s a new Golden Sun game?

Legend of Zelda and Golden Sun both have in depth puzzle based dungeons.

It seems weird to me that they’d be working on a new Zelda game already. Unless it’s more of a traditional Zelda game...

It’s probably nothing, but it’s something else to reach for.
Camelot would probably be looking for that themselves, not Nintendo.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Do the GS cover pose, Matthew's pose was used on SSF2 Isaac's artwork.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Forgot it's actually been a week now since the November direct. Don't know how long the wait usually is for Sakurai's Famitsu column to be translated but if there's one, he may actually talk about Isaac for once, go into detail about him being pretty much the only Brawl assist to return and veteran assist that got additional attack animations (and maybe his absence in 4 could be covered as well). Or the topic of Isaac could magically be avoided again.

Though remember how Ridley was once again given a boss role and Sakurai finally came out and said Ridley wouldn't work as a fighter cause basically, 'Too big'. An argument the Smash community always used against Ridley's inclusion. Well it'd be kind of funny now that Isaac is an assist for the second time in a row, that Sakurai states how Isaac couldn't be considered as a fighter cause his series is dead, which of course is the argument thrown against Isaac a lot.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Forgot it's actually been a week now since the November direct. Don't know how long the wait usually is for Sakurai's Famitsu column to be translated but if there's one, he may actually talk about Isaac for once, go into detail about him being pretty much the only Brawl assist to return and veteran assist that got additional attack animations (and maybe his absence in 4 could be covered as well).
Unfortunately, I think it's more likely that Sakurai just talks about Incineroar, Ken, and Spirits mode/World of Light. So I wouldn't count on him talking about Isaac; however, there is a chance we might get a little blurb about him. Here's hoping the interviewer is a big GS fan.

But yeah, I really wanna hear Sakurai's "reason" for excluding Isaac. I always thought that his insistence that "Villager isn't a fighter" and "Ridley is too big" was just ridiculuous. Of course, I'm not a game dev, but Sakurai has already proven himself wrong in both of these cases.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Forgot it's actually been a week now since the November direct. Don't know how long the wait usually is for Sakurai's Famitsu column to be translated but if there's one, he may actually talk about Isaac for once, go into detail about him being pretty much the only Brawl assist to return and veteran assist that got additional attack animations (and maybe his absence in 4 could be covered as well). Or the topic of Isaac could magically be avoided again.

Though remember how Ridley was once again given a boss role and Sakurai finally came out and said Ridley wouldn't work as a fighter cause basically, 'Too big'. An argument the Smash community always used against Ridley's inclusion. Well it'd be kind of funny now that Isaac is an assist for the second time in a row, that Sakurai states how Isaac couldn't be considered as a fighter cause his series is dead, which of course is the argument thrown against Isaac a lot.
I definitely want to hear whatever Sakurai has to say. Not just about Isaac, but about many strange decisions he made for this game.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

I'm sure he was MIA in 4 due to 3DS limitations and was going to stay an AT then.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, I think it's more likely that Sakurai just talks about Incineroar, Ken, and Spirits mode/World of Light. So I wouldn't count on him talking about Isaac; however, there is a chance we might get a little blurb about him. Here's hoping the interviewer is a big GS fan.

But yeah, I really wanna hear Sakurai's "reason" for excluding Isaac. I always thought that his insistence that "Villager isn't a fighter" and "Ridley is too big" was just ridiculuous. Of course, I'm not a game dev, but Sakurai has already proven himself wrong in both of these cases.
A part of me did joke imagining the interviewer bringing up Isaac's assist and then stating how some fans out there may have hoped he was playable. No way around that topic unless Sakurai says something to the effect of, 'Fans request many characters, it's overwhelming at times!' and then laughs it off.

But still I'll find it odd if Sakurai doesn't talk about Isaac, it's like giving you extra toppings on your sundae but not telling you why.

MeatOfJustice MeatOfJustice That was one of my earlier theories, since even characters like Ice Climbers and Lucas got cut because of it so cutting an assist? No problem. Of course now that Saki's assist is cut (and Infantry&Tanks stayed cut in Brawl) I'm beginning to think maybe relevancy is a big thing for Sakurai to the point he even cuts assist trophies.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
A part of me did joke imagining the interviewer bringing up Isaac's assist and then stating how some fans out there may have hoped he was playable. No way around that topic unless Sakurai says something to the effect of, 'Fans request many characters, it's overwhelming at times!' and then laughs it off.

But still I'll find it odd if Sakurai doesn't talk about Isaac, it's like giving you extra toppings on your sundae but not telling you why.
Yeah this would be the scenario to hope for. That's why I joked that we should hope that the interviewer likes GS; if the interviewer brings it up then Sakurai will have to answer in some way. My guess though is that he won't want to spend too long talking about stuff that didn't become playable.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Yeah this would be the scenario to hope for. That's why I joked that we should hope that the interviewer likes GS; if the interviewer brings it up then Sakurai will have to answer in some way. My guess though is that he won't want to spend too long talking about stuff that didn't become playable.
It may even be for the best. While I'm curious, I also dread Sakurai saying something that'll deconfirm Isaac forever or less extreme, something that we'll never hear the end of from the community once Sakurai brings it to light.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I honestly hope Sakurai *doesn't* talk about Isaac. He never talked about K. Rool after the Mii Fighter costume either up until K. Rool's reveal.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
It may even be for the best. While I'm curious, I also dread Sakurai saying something that'll deconfirm Isaac forever or less extreme, something that we'll never hear the end of from the community once Sakurai brings it to light.
I suppose. But then again many people took Sakurai's comments about Ridley to be an eternal disconfirmation, and he still got in.

I honestly hope Sakurai *doesn't* talk about Isaac. He never talked about K. Rool after the Mii Fighter costume either up until K. Rool's reveal.
It's true that if Isaac were in DLC then he probably wouldn't mention him. But if the interviewer brings it up then Sakurai would have to comment, so even if Isaac is talked about I don't think that would disconfirm him.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Sakurai has a history of changing his mind. At least. But I actively dread him addressing Isaac. As any supporters of him will have to face down any arguments sakurai may present for the 5 years.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I thought he said that he was surprised how highly requested k rool was, so he threw in a mii costume so the fans would have something in smash 4. Or did he say that after the reveal?

And btw I believe the famitsu column is sometime next week. Probably monday

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I suppose. But then again many people took Sakurai's comments about Ridley to be an eternal disconfirmation, and he still got in.

It's true that if Isaac were in DLC then he probably wouldn't mention him. But if the interviewer brings it up then Sakurai would have to comment, so even if Isaac is talked about I don't think that would disconfirm him.
Perhaps if Sakurai said something like, 'His abilities from his home series isn't something easily incorporated in Smash.' Like with Ridley and Villager, he could easily change his mind and find a way to make it work regardless. Though I feel if he says something like, 'Isaac wasn't made a fighter because his series is currently inactive.' that's more definitive. It wouldn't be about Isaac not being able to work in Smash, but the relevancy of the series itself being a big issue, which I always figured his popularity could override that fact and Sakurai would add him just from how much he's requested from fans.

I mean technically, if we want to split hairs, Sakurai could also change his mind about the inactive series being an issue and add him next game or whatever anyways, but I still rather Sakurai not come out and state that as his reason for not including Isaac, given this will probs keep Isaac out since again him cutting assists like Saki makes me worried (though he has a costume so the representation isn't completely gone).

Edit: Of course this is assuming the worst case scenario, there's good things he could potentially mention too, like enjoying the games and hoping for a future title and him mentioning how he considered making Isaac playable but it didn't work out or whatever. But yeah I'm totally prepared to hear nothing and thus be trapped in this limbo of never knowing where Sakurai stands in regards to Isaac and Golden Sun.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
For Golden Sunday, I'll probably do 3 different tweets:
  • One in French for Nintendo France, as a love letter, saying that it was one of the few RPG coming here at the time.
  • One in English for Nintendo US and Japan, going for a more commercial perspective.
  • One for Takahashi, as a love letter from an oversea fan, telling how much I love the serie.
Doing that will allow me to reach more people and being more concise for each of them, while permitting to say more things by saying them to different people.

I won't say anything to Sakurai, but will quickly speak of Smash somewhere for sure.

Last edited:

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Guys it took a while but here is one render of the Mars Elemental star.
I went for a more Stony look.
I think it looks good but I don't know what the hell im doing.

Attachments

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman

I just really want some statement of sorts. I really want to know his attitude for the series itself, and why he went through the effort of updating his assist trophy. Sure the whole potential " dead series" comment may sting, but that's not going to stop me from pushing for his inclusion as an actual fighter and have a new Golden Sun game alongside everyone else here.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
I hope Sakurai will give us more Golden Sun music too. The medley was nice but Dark Dawn also had some pretty good stuff that deserves the love. My personal favourite is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IngDcct4i6M

That aside, I stumbled upon this Isaac's battle theme remix with Dark Dawn soundfont and... Wow. It's the best one out there in my honest opinion. Yet has few views... Sharing it here, hoping the guy behind it shares it on Golden Sunday (if not, I sure will).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEw6IBeeuVc

Rick4Smash

Smash Rookie
I just really want some statement of sorts. I really want to know his attitude for the series itself, and why he went through the effort of updating his assist trophy. Sure the whole potential " dead series" comment may sting, but that's not going to stop me from pushing for his inclusion as an actual fighter and have a new Golden Sun game alongside everyone else here.
Probably because animating a hand to grab or push an enemy isn't a terribly hard thing to do, and when Sakurai thinks Golden Sun he probably doesn't think of it as a core franchise. He probably started the AT direct with Isaac to tamper expectations, or a nod saying he'll get around to Isaac in DLC 2, or Smash 6, because I don't expect there to be a bigger money maker than Smash for Nintendo, at least for the future. (I'm aware Smash is still a few games behind other titles like Mario Cart, the Mario Series and LoZ, but i'm fairly certain Smash will eclipse those titles as the scene gets bigger and bigger thanks to the Internet.) As far as the first round of DLC, one thing is abundantly clear, Japanese preference is going be way higher than western preference for characters. I also think characters that are spherical in design, or look relatively simple are going be a majority of the first pass.

Also you have to think about it from a marketing strategy, Sakurai knows what the fans want, why would he put all the highest requested fan characters in a single game? Why not milk it some more for Smash 6 or Smash 7? Adding a few fan favorite characters here and there, taking away features, putting them back in, got to keep the train going. If you played any other games with multiple titles in it, you know this trick all too well.He could get upwards of 100$ for each copy of Smash Ultimate. Then when Smash 6 comes out, he could throw in Isaac and Geno and leave out Banjo and Shantae while leaving hints and repeat the process for Smash 7. There's a marketing strategy at play here that people aren't aware of. Their first job is to make as much money as possible, so they have to leave the fans partially-satisfied every time.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
So, what characters do you see as Spirits? Naturally, they'd be limited to artwork, meaning we're limited to the following characters (and most of these actually come from the Nintendo Dream guide for Ogon no Taiyo: Shikkokunaru Yoake, aka Golden Sun: Dark Dawn which was a bounty of art that wasn't accessible elsewhere):

• Garet
  • Ivan
  • Mia
  • Jenna
  • Sheba
  • Piers
  • Saturos
  • Menardi
  • Karst
  • Agatio
  • Alex (Original)
  • Briggs with Eoleo
  • Susa and Kushinada
  • Hydros
  • Kraden
  • Isaac (Dark Dawn)
  • Tyrell
  • Karis
  • Rief
  • Amiti
  • Sveta
  • Eoleo (Adult)
  • Himi
  • Blados
  • Chalis
  • King Volchek
  • Alex (Arcanus) - Potential Evolution
  • Tua Warrior
  • Belinsk Musical Band
And here's some artwork for enemies that would, if they would be in, would be support spirits at novice levels (and, yes, the Djinn would be in this group):
  • Punch Ant
  • Slime
  • Amaze
  • Dark Devourer
  • Sludge
  • Momonga
  • Bat
  • Ape
  • Spider
  • Lizard Man
  • Salamander
  • Venus Djinn
  • Mercury Djinn
  • Mars Djinn
  • Jupiter Djinn
The Wise One is a name i didn't see. Other than that solid list.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Probably because animating a hand to grab or push an enemy isn't a terribly hard thing to do, and when Sakurai thinks Golden Sun he probably doesn't think of it as a core franchise. He probably started the AT direct with Isaac to tamper expectations, or a nod saying he'll get around to Isaac in DLC 2, or Smash 6, because I don't expect there to be a bigger money maker than Smash for Nintendo, at least for the future. (I'm aware Smash is still a few games behind other titles like Mario Cart, the Mario Series and LoZ, but i'm fairly certain Smash will eclipse those titles as the scene gets bigger and bigger thanks to the Internet.) As far as the first round of DLC, one thing is abundantly clear, Japanese preference is going be way higher than western preference for characters. I also think characters that are spherical in design, or look relatively simple are going be a majority of the first pass.

Also you have to think about it from a marketing strategy, Sakurai knows what the fans want, why would he put all the highest requested fan characters in a single game? Why not milk it some more for Smash 6 or Smash 7? Adding a few fan favorite characters here and there, taking away features, putting them back in, got to keep the train going. If you played any other games with multiple titles in it, you know this trick all too well.He could get upwards of 100$ for each copy of Smash Ultimate. Then when Smash 6 comes out, he could throw in Isaac and Geno and leave out Banjo and Shantae while leaving hints and repeat the process for Smash 7. There's a marketing strategy at play here that people aren't aware of. Their first job is to make as much money as possible, so they have to leave the fans partially-satisfied every time.
I just don't think that's really a good Argument for the Inclusion of a char into Smash. Most of those Franchises are ongoing so there will naturally always be a number of chars which will get requested. Plus opening up one Franchise for Smash will eventually raise demands for other Chars.

Back when a lot of us thought isaac was a lock we already started demanding Felix. IF we got Isaac and Felix one Day we will start demanding Saturos or Alex. Xoneblade will probably get at least to new possible Inclusions through Sequels until the next Game launches, maybe Monolith works on a new IP which could potentially get representation, same could be said for whatever Retro works on, possibly also a new IP.

I think as long as there is demand for a character it should be included. It raises awarity for a Franchise, which will automatically increase the franchises relevancy. There could be new Entries in existing franchises or completely new Franchises which will also have their Fans who are demanding their characters.

I kinda fear that a lot of us GS fans will "get over" GS until the next Games comes out in... 6 - 7 years? Or even if not, there will possibly be new characters we will be competing with. This was the best chance we ever had for isaac and it still didn't work out for us

Last edited:

Rick4Smash

Smash Rookie
I just don't think that's really a good Argument for the Inclusion of a char into Smash. Most of those Franchises are ongoing so there will naturally always be a number of chars which will get requested. Plus opening up one Franchise for Smash will eventually raise demands for other Chars.

Back when a lot of us thought isaac was a lock we already started demanding Felix. IF we got Isaac and Felix one Day we will start demanding Saturos or Alex. Xoneblade will probably get at least to new possible Inclusions through Sequels until the next Game launches, maybe Monolith works on a new IP which could potentially get representation, same could be said for whatever Retro works on, possibly also a new IP.

I think as long as there is demand for a character it should be included. It raises awarity for a Franchise, which will automatically increase the franchises relevancy. There could be new Entries in existing franchises or completely new Franchises which will also have their Fans who are demanding their characters.

I kinda fear that a lot of us GS fans will "get over" GS until the next Games comes out in... 6 - 7 years? Or even if not, there will possibly be new characters we will be competing with. This was the best chance we ever had for isaac and it still didn't work out for us
I'm not so sure about that, at least in the west. The main reason is because I think most Smash fans grew up with the characters they want to see included, meaning characters like Isaac and Banjo have high demand, because people are familiar with them. Is Nintendo going be as relevant in the 2020's as it was in the late 90s early 2000s? I kinda doubt it, if you look a lot of the Smash characters inclusion they're banking off nostalgia, more than they are looking towards a new horizon. Kids of today are probably not very nostalgic of Nintendo but of Minecraft,Fornite and FNAF. Remember Sakurai was probably very clearly done with Smash as early as Brawl. He wanted to make it very clear he was tired of this franchise, and then came Smash for Wii U, which he said would probably be the last game of the series.

And yet here we are at Ultimate and it's still not done, clearly the higher-ups of Nintendo want to keep making Smash Bros for obvious monetary reasons, and clearly nostalgia is the most powerful driving force behind this game. If they add a bunch of characters in from new IP's and franchises, people will probably less interested, they will still buy it, but they probably won't buy peripheral items associated with it or show much enthusiasm. It's a numbers game Nintendo is working with, and I'm sure they have analysts and pollsters everywhere telling them how to make their next move. They are even slowly creeping into the competitive scene, which Nintendo has seemingly always been admittedly against, veering more towards "family-friendly" and "easy-going"/non-competitive types of shows. Why? Because they know the money is there, they've seen the massive arenas for games like League of Legends and want in on some of that hype, if it was purely up to Nintendo they would be totally against it, but slowly they have to conform to what the consumers want. If they are going go into the e-sports scene, like I suspect they are, Smash Bros is the way to go, because people in the future are not going have the attention-spans to play an "epic solo adventure", it's going be tons of mobile and e-sports, to both the chagrin and delight of many. I'm just glad Smash is one of the few couch multiplayer games left.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought he said that he was surprised how highly requested k rool was, so he threw in a mii costume so the fans would have something in smash 4. Or did he say that after the reveal?

And btw I believe the famitsu column is sometime next week. Probably monday
No, Sakurai never said a word about K. Rool.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Slightly off topic here. Just want to throw in a crossover drawing idea. I would love to see Viridi from KI: Uprising crushing on Isaac and hugging his arm and basically either flirting with him and/or admire him. Meanwhile in the background, Palutena and Pit (& Dark Pit maybe?) are in shock/confused and Jenna is furious and ready to beat Viridi down. Heck, I can see this as a mini comic too.

I would make it myself if I could draw. :/

Top Bottom