• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Nah, stick with Isaac since that's where all the momentum is right now.

The way I see it, If we push for Isaac/Golden Sun enough and Sakurai notices it and really doesn't want to promote Ats, maybe instead he'd give us another GS character like Felix of Matthew anyways as a compromise.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all 100% for Isaac regardless. But I just find this...interesting.

Tinfoil Hat ON: With what's been happening, it's as if either Camelot or Nintendo (or both) prefered Matthew so that they could promote Golden Sun 4 as Matthew would be the protagonist in that game so that newcomers to the series won't get Isaac and Matthew confused or something. And Matthew would also get an Isaac outfit for the long time fans. Satisfying both sides.

Tinfoil Hat OFF!

This was only under the idea that GS4 is in fact under development and Nintendo wants to promote it with Matthew as the newcomer. I honestly would be happy if that happened. In the fantasy world, it's like Isaac wants his son to be the star now. A father who wants his boy to shine.

However, that doesn't change anything with what I'm doing with you all. And that is to promote Isaac and get a new GS game out!

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I think we'll be getting several "seasons" of DLC. It makes sense for them to continue to support this game for several years to come (especially since I get the feeling that this will be the last Smash for many many years). Only making a single fighter pass is honestly just leaving money on the table.
I too think it is highly unlikely we get only one season. Switch is barely on its first year, the DLC launches on Feb 2020 when Switch will be almost 3 years old, a normal console lives for around 5 years but well sold Nintendo consoles tend to outlive that period (like the Wii and the 3ds have) and we are not getting another Smash until the next console so it would be a waste not to keep supporting this one specially if it sells well. Hell, if I was Nintendo I'd let Ultimate be the last from scratch Smash and just keep updating it through the years (because whatever Smash comes next most likely couldn't live to the expectatives created with this one)

Nah, stick with Isaac since that's where all the momentum is right now.

The way I see it, If we push for Isaac/Golden Sun enough and Sakurai notices it and really doesn't want to promote Ats, maybe instead he'd give us another GS character like Felix of Matthew anyways as a compromise.
I agree with this, let's not lose focus, by pushing for Isaac we push for the recognizable face, since we will simultaneously be pushing for Golden Sun as franchise I think it is pretty safe to assume in case they don't want to open a can of worms by promoting him or if Nintendo wants to go with relevancy / marketing then we can get another GS rep in the roster and they would most likely know it could at least please the Isaac fandom

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft, the multi-billion dollar empire would disagree....
Well I wouldn't dismiss B&K right away and I'd recommend perhaps counting on the recent trademark as hope for now.
Would you happen to remember where you saw or heard this? I'm curious.
I think said "leak" was with a UK guy who has more direct connections with Nintendo UK. He basically was saying in a tweet that Isaac's chances pretty much set sail seeing that he is an assist, but Mathew can be a potential candidate of sorts that can tie in with GS4.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
A few thoughts...

We should have someone with a twitter presence send out a PSA telling people not to spam Sakurai on Golden Sunday.

Nintendo being the ones deciding dlc characters doesn't really fill me with confidence. It certainly makes Steve from Minecraft sound more plausible.

I think we could be in a good position if character dlc for this game goes beyond February 2020.

The idea of picking Matthew OVER Isaac (and not as well as like Olimar/Alph) absolutely boggles my mind to no end since Matthew is basically a carbon copy of Isaac, they don't even need to be echoes of each other. Adding Isaac as an alt for Matthew would be such little effort to go to in order to get a big payoff in return.

Last edited:

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
A few thoughts...

We should have someone with a twitter presence send out a PSA telling people not to spam Sakurai on Golden Sunday.

Nintendo being the ones deciding dlc characters doesn't really fill me with confidence. It certainly makes Steve from Minecraft sound more plausible.

I think we could be in a good position if character dlc for this game goes beyond February 2020.

The idea of picking Matthew OVER Isaac (and not as well as like Olimar/Alph) absolutely boggles my mind to no end since Matthew is basically a carbon copy of Isaac, they don't even need to be echoes of each other.
Yeah, the reality of the situation does suck. We just got to hope they make more than one season pass or at the very least have GS4 in development.

Edit: Of course as a fanbase we will make sure Golden Sun does not die out in the meantime!

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I know it’s highly unlikely since the series has been left out to dry since 2010, but it would be great if Nintendo looked at the Smash Ballot and was like “WTF Sakurai... Isaac is a highly requested character!? Don’t you understand we could bring that series back and make a lot of money? And instead you made a damn piranha plant playable! We don’t need help selling Mario games! We need other IP’s to market!”

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Yeah, the reality of the situation does suck. We just got to hope they make more than one season pass or at the very least have GS4 in development.

Edit: Of course as the fanbase we will make sure Golden Sun does not die out in the meantime!
Basically this. The moment we stop, Isaac's chances (or any GS rep for that matter) will diminish either through DLC or Smash 6. Had we been pushing like Ridley and K. Rool fans were instead of going into hiding, the outcome might have been different. Let's keep pushing for Isaac (respectfully) via DLC and get Golden Sun back!

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Basically this. The moment we stop, Isaac's chances (or any GS rep for that matter) will diminish either through DLC or Smash 6. Had we been pushing like Ridley and K. Rool fans were instead of going into hiding, the outcome might have been different. Let's keep pushing for Isaac (respectfully) via DLC and get Golden Sun back!
Agreed. We may have been beaten up many times before, but we just don't know how to give up at this stage. The news of the direct hit me hard, but at the same time it gave me a wake up call to keep the dream alive whether it may be through dlc, smash 6, or gs4.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
A few thoughts...

The idea of picking Matthew OVER Isaac (and not as well as like Olimar/Alph) absolutely boggles my mind to no end since Matthew is basically a carbon copy of Isaac, they don't even need to be echoes of each other. Adding Isaac as an alt for Matthew would be such little effort to go to in order to get a big payoff in return.
I'd suspect that Nintendo picking the DLC characters is better for a Golden Sun character's chances. Sakurai would be less likely to go back on the work he has already put in on the Isaac assist trophy than Nintendo looking for the profits.

Still, if we use logic and believe that assist trophies are 100% deconfirmations, and I do, Nintendo could see the demand for a Golden Sun rep and potentially want whoever the next best contender is.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
A few thoughts...

Already have that handled

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
There’s nothing to really back it up other than some Golden Sun references in Aces and Camelot comparing it to Golden Sun in an interview, but it’s an interesting thought.
I didn't play to Aces but if they add, some day, Isaac as a playable character, I would buy it and main him immediately!

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Very interesting tweets.
Now obviously I never planned on spamming Sakurai's twitter account from the start. Our goal is to renew interest in Golden Sun first and foremost. "Spamming" is not the way to go, but we do have to show Nintendo our concern. So... We kindly spam Nintendo? =^)

It may seem like bad news at first, but really we have to go just as planned.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Greetings from the Banjo thread

I'm really hoping you guys get something good out of this. Morale has somehow sunken even lower than before on our end. I hope at least one of us is happy by the end of this
Do not give up hope. Banjo is a gold mine for DLC and if any 3rd party character has a shot I would put my money on him, literally and figuratively.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
By the way, if Nintendo chose the dlc fighters, does it make it more likely or not that we'll get third party characters? The only thing stopping me from getting the fighters pass is Noctis frop FFXV. I am so ****ing scared that square will want to shill him yet again.

Ninetales Commander

Smash Cadet
So it seems the DLC has already been decided by Nintendo. This proves 2 things I previous said:
1. Sakurai doesn't have as much reign as people seem to think he has, at the end of the day Nintendo are the bosses and if they say something has to happen, not even Sakurai can say much about it.
2. DLC can be planned while the main game is in development, since Sakurai straight up said in the direct that they would be starting the DLC once they are done with the main game, this proves they can plan specific characters to be DLC while the main game is being made.

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai already said he can't work with anything, so even he has limits. Remember how he couldn't translate Heihachi into Smash?
So while Nintendo has most of the power this time, Sakurai still has the final word.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
So it seems the DLC has already been decided by Nintendo. This proves 2 things I previous said:
1. Sakurai doesn't have as much reign as people seem to think he has, at the end of the day Nintendo are the bosses and if they say something has to happen, not even Sakurai can say much about it.
2. DLC can be planned while the main game is in development, since Sakurai straight up said in the direct that they would be starting the DLC once they are done with the main game, this proves they can plan specific characters to be DLC while the main game is being made.
Yes but not quite, I believe Nintendo presented Sakurai a list, then Sakurai selected from said list. That's how I understood it anyway.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Sakurai never had infinite power. I think a lot of people forget this. He is just behind the series. Doesn't mean he controls it.

When you look at the roster, a lot of them are valid business decisions planned by Nintendo.

Even Game & Watch! He had a game release for the GBA less than a year after Melee.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has been found before but I accidentally performed a glitch. I was using Lift on the boulder, then ran to the left and somehow ended up above the rock pillar, unable to get out. Don't worry, I saved a few minutes before this and reloaded.
Golden Sun The Lost Age_1541596213173.png

Last edited:

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been found before but I accidentally performed a glitch. I was using Lift on the boulder, then ran to the left and somehow ended up above the rock pillar, unable to get out. Don't worry, I saved a few minutes before this and reloaded.
View attachment 176434
It is most obviously a reference to this official artwork obviously!!!!

Attachments

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
As a side note, I just went to other Newcomer Speculation threads. I am stunned by the number of Geno fans who are strongly believing that the recent tweets are good news for him being included as DLC, whereas I think it's just the opposite because of his lack of relevancy.
And before a detractor comes and tells me that Isaac is irrelevant too: I know that and don't expect him at all in the first wave of DLC either.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I keep feeling that a golden sun 4 could in fact happen and if it does, they need to make sure the story can be quickly caught up with newcomers as I feel a remake would make more sense first but if they want to continue dark dawns story, Let's hope they take the criticism that one got into consideration. I also hope camelot has the necessary team to make a new golden sun game this time as dark dawn had a team that may have been too small for the task.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
As a side note, I just went to other Newcomer Speculation threads. I am stunned by the number of Geno fans who are strongly believing that the recent tweets are good news for him being included as DLC, whereas I think it's just the opposite because of his lack of relevancy.
And before a detractor comes and tells me that Isaac is irrelevant too: I know that and don't expect him at all in the first wave of DLC either.
Unfortunately there is nothing to take from the tweets but extreme caution.

This is the first time they have ever stated the decisions have been made by Nintendo. Which means they really want to reduce the pestering of Sakurai.

Which could also be damage control for the things to come.

My hype is at 0 because I am seriously worried. For every fandom's sake.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Which could also be damage control for the things to come.
Yeah, that's exaclty what I'm thinking.

That tweet saying it's Nintendo who did the selection brings nothing useful to the table of the hype. I see that as Sakurai saying "what's coming is not my fault, blame Nintendo HQ".

If we are even going further, I could take the second tweet as an apology. "It's great to dream" and "when we're not specifically asking for feedback" could mean "what you're asking for won't happen".

Great, I'm sad now.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. I'd also argue Geno is the most hurt from this scenario.
I keep feeling that a golden sun 4 could in fact happen and if it does, they need to make sure the story can be quickly caught up with newcomers as I feel a remake would make more sense first but if they want to continue dark dawns story, Let's hope they take the criticism that one got into consideration. I also hope camelot has the necessary team to make a new golden sun game this time as dark dawn had a team that may have been too small for the task.
Best case scenario is that we get the Metroid treatment, a remake + new game, if Camelot hasn't been working on one around Aces' development it's going to take a couple years.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
If the project IS Golden Sun 4, it's already doomed to fail. Nobody, and I mean Nobody is going to want to jump into the series in the midst of a cliffhanger with no real way to catch up to speed. If it's Golden Sun 4 and not a remake of the originals first that could very well be the death knell for Golden Sun as a series.
If they do Golden Sun 4, pretty sure they'll make the other games available in some fashion on the Switch. There will be plenty of time for Nintendo to play catch up since if GS 4 is in development, it'll likely just be a title card like Metroid 4 was at it's announcement.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
If they do Golden Sun 4, pretty sure they'll make the other games available in some fashion on the Switch. There will be plenty of time for Nintendo to play catch up since if GS 4 is in development, it'll likely just be a title card like Metroid 4 was at it's announcement.
It wouldn't surprise me if they did GBA games via Switch Online and did Golden Sun that way

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Hey everyone! How's everything going? I return to almost 50 new pages. Crazy.

I honestly didn't want to be here for the aftermath of the last Direct. In a word, it was disappointing. I honestly couldn't believe that the box theory was true, and that the last reveals were two unexciting characters (for me, at least) and that was it. No new stages either. While I laughed at the reveal, Piranha Plant felt like the final slap in the face. Now we get news that DLC has been decided (unsurprisingly) and that Nintendo decided the characters. Final nail in the coffin, I guess.

After the disappointment, my reasoning is this: we're in a better position now than we were before. Not only has Isaac been considered important enough to return as an Assist Trophy (and not relegated to a sticker), he was given a redesign and new moves. And after all his hype for this cycle, he seems to be in a better position than ever for the next game. We have new people getting to know him and Golden Sun, and a bunch of them even trying the games for the first time, and that's great for his chances.

Finally, the game will have a lot of good stuff, so I hope to enjoy it for what it actually includes. I don't have high hopes for DLC being anything worthwhile to be completely honest, I expect new Bayos and Corrins (and worse, Steve). I'm still excited to play the game, and to at least have Isaac back even if not in a playable format.

Let's do our best to keep Isaac in the spotlight. There's always next game, adepts.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Hey everyone! How's everything going? I return to almost 50 new pages. Crazy.

I honestly didn't want to be here for the aftermath of the last Direct. In a word, it was disappointing. I honestly couldn't believe that the box theory was true, and that the last reveals were two unexciting characters (for me, at least) and that was it. No new stages either. While I laughed at the reveal, Piranha Plant felt like the final slap in the face. Now we get news that DLC has been decided (unsurprisingly) and that Nintendo decided the characters. Final nail in the coffin, I guess.

After the disappointment, my reasoning is this: we're in a better position now than we were before. Not only has Isaac been considered important enough to return as an Assist Trophy (and not relegated to a sticker), he was given a redesign and new moves. And after all his hype for this cycle, he seems to be in a better position than ever for the next game. We have new people getting to know him and Golden Sun, and a bunch of them even trying the games for the first time, and that's great for his chances.

Finally, the game will have a lot of good stuff, so I hope to enjoy it for what it actually includes. I don't have high hopes for DLC being anything worthwhile to be completely honest, I expect new Bayos and Corrins (and worse, Steve). I'm still excited to play the game, and to at least have Isaac back even if not in a playable format.

Let's do our best to keep Isaac in the spotlight. There's always next game, adepts.
And not only that, the more we keep Isaac in the spotlight now, the chances of him being in DLC (if they plan to do a second season) could be possible. If not, his chances will be much greater for the next game as Isaac WILL be on Sakurai and Nintendo's radar. AT will be our first checkpoint, NOT our finish line. And fight for a new GS game as well!

Let's make Golden Sun (and Isaac) relevant again!

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence.” —James N. Watkins.

Something to consider for our current state, but also as a series in general. I mean to say this: another Golden Sun needs to happen so we can get even more to happen after that.

Most of the OG RPG companies effectively made their name based off of that quote. Some were successful early on, others weren't, but the ones that exist today just never gave up. It's hard to ignore a series that is coming out with its eighth game like Nihon Falcom with Ys or even Intelligent Systems with Fire Emblem. If we can get a fourth game to happen, regardless of what it is, things will propagate from there. I really hate the bad foresight Camelot and Nintendo had not striking when the iron was hot because most game series never even get that chance until long in its life cycle as a series. Tons remain niche Japan only moderate selling until something special happens later on.

I wish I were a billionaire because I'd be able to invest directly in that idea. I'd go right up to Nintendo and Camelot and offer to pay development costs. They're sitting on a goldmine and they don't know it. It's mostly easy to ignore Golden Sun for a game like Smash Bros. because Golden Sun ignored itself. Could you imagine if Camelot kept working on the idea and we were on Golden Sun 6 right now? At that point it would be too glaringly obvious to ignore it. Not only could you call bias, but it would feel comical not having representation like it should.

It's just strange really. Camelot is one of the very few companies that have done this model. Konami is another one. Mostly all of the other companies that started out making RPGs persisted along that path. Some of them make RPGs in conjunction with other genres but they stay true to what they originally developed. That's, in part, what's frustrating. If this were any other developer you would get projects coming out with consistency. They may not all be Golden Sun, but they'd be something in the same genre and same mind-frame. Unfortunately, unless there's a lot of success we never really get to hear about the full story behind why all of these things transpired.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, that's exaclty what I'm thinking.

That tweet saying it's Nintendo who did the selection brings nothing useful to the table of the hype. I see that as Sakurai saying "what's coming is not my fault, blame Nintendo HQ".

If we are even going further, I could take the second tweet as an apology. "It's great to dream" and "when we're not specifically asking for feedback" could mean "what you're asking for won't happen".

Great, I'm sad now.
My takeaway has nothing to do with Sakurai blaming Nintendo at all. All he's saying is "Nintendo is responsible, not me, stop tweeting me". I don't really get why people are making crazy conspiracies like "OMG SAKURAI IS SAYING THE CHOICES ARE GOING TO BE BAD AND HE'S DENOUNCING THEM!"

No, that's not at all what Sakurai is saying. The only thing he's saying is "STOP TWEETING ME ABOUT REQUESTS!"

SPEN18

Smash Champion
My takeaway has nothing to do with Sakurai blaming Nintendo at all. All he's saying is "Nintendo is responsible, not me, stop tweeting me". I don't really get why people are making crazy conspiracies like "OMG SAKURAI IS SAYING THE CHOICES ARE GOING TO BE BAD AND HE'S DENOUNCING THEM!"

No, that's not at all what Sakurai is saying. The only thing he's saying is "STOP TWEETING ME ABOUT REQUESTS!"
Yeah we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

But at the same time, whether it was his intention or not, Sakurai has officially placed blame on Nintendo IF the characters are indeed bland marketing picks.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

But at the same time, whether it was his intention or not, Sakurai has officially placed blame on Nintendo IF the characters are indeed bland marketing picks.
Sakurai said Nintendo chose the initial list and he chose the actual five to develop. So no, that's not what he's saying at all. He'd be taking blame as well. Odds are, Nintendo probably had a list of about 20 or so characters. Sakurai narrowed it down to 5.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
"Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan." - Sakurai

To me, it sounds like Nintendo made the selections, but Sakurai simply told them whether or not a fighter would be feasible. For example, maybe Nintendo suggested Rabbid Peach, but Sakurai told them that he couldn't come up with a good moveset for Rabbid Peach. Given Sakurai's comments, it doesn't seem like he had much choice at all; it sounds like he just has a limited veto that can only be exercised on the basis of a character not being realizable.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Nazyrus Nazyrus I vastly prefer your Isaac render over the new AT model by far. You got a full model or is that in the works?.
I feel like I'm gonna work on a full model either from scratch or by using the existing piece, altho using the existing piece is starting to make me struggle in finding a pose that makes sense and is dynamic at the same time with such a calm face so… I will most probably try a new render and this time full body, trying to keep the same good looking face or eyes or whatever… and I will try to see if I can improve the hair as well. Starting from scratch allows me to make a pose way more easily, but as for when I would have that ready… I will try to set my goal before Christmas, lol. Hopefully way sooner, it all depends on my available time.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said Nintendo chose the initial list and he chose the actual five to develop. So no, that's not what he's saying at all. He'd be taking blame as well. Odds are, Nintendo probably had a list of about 20 or so characters. Sakurai narrowed it down to 5.
20? I'd say he had about 10 options, or maybe he had like 20 but some were from the same franchise (for example, Lloyd, Luke and Yuri from Tales).

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
If the project IS Golden Sun 4, it's already doomed to fail. Nobody, and I mean Nobody is going to want to jump into the series in the midst of a cliffhanger with no real way to catch up to speed. If it's Golden Sun 4 and not a remake of the originals first that could very well be the death knell for Golden Sun as a series.
It’s only doomed to fail if it’s too hard to follow. The premise is simple enough even a newcomer who had never heard of the series could follow. Matthew and co are searching for Isaac who was missing at the end of dark dawn. The game could bridge the gap for new players by including plot summaries of the previous titles like dark dawn did. In this version of events, consider GS4 the fire emblem awakening of the franchise. GS4 would N O T be a commercial death sentence. Not if Matthew is placed in smash for promotion, the story is easy enough to follow for those out of the loop, and in general it’s just a great game. Dark dawn was not a great game. It was a decent game with a lot of serious flaws that piled up as things went on. Declining quality = declining sales. It’s that simple.

Remakes only work for kickstarting a franchise again when it’s a franchise where the game starts that followed the first entry were all terrible. Valkiriya chronicles anyone? Lost age is great, Dark dawn is decent. No terrible. There are plenty of people that have good memories of both. Relaunching the franchise under a remake is just as dangerous a prospect as a full GS4 when you consider the prospect that’s it could retcon Dark dawn, and especially so, the lost age, out of existence. I originally thought a remake was the way to go. And I see the appeal. But I no longer think that’s the way to go. I think the way to go is to just make golden sun 4 the best damn game it possibly can be. Great games will get audiences. Continuity be damned.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
My brother and I have been discussing Nintendo controlling the DLC. And the more we discuss it the more questionable it is sounding. Do you guys think they are gonna make promo characters for their big titles for the next 2 years? A Pokemon is coming out maybe getting another rep? If this is the case it could be good or very bad. And if Steve....urk...is a character the others will have to be really **** good to make up for it.

Top Bottom