• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SPEN18

Smash Champion
In other news, they held off on the music track on the website just so that they could reveal yet another Sun&Moon track for Incineroar. What a joke...

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I really like the idea of a spiritual successor game, feel as if that would be better than just a fangame. I can probably do some sprites but that's all I'm good at :p

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
After Smash4 i felt sakurai shouldn't handle Smash anymore. I just felt that he was completely out of touch with the community.

A community which wished for a return to melees gameplay after brawl, a community that wished for chars with character and moveset potential like Isaac, K Rool, Waluigi or Banjo.
What we got instead with Smash 4 was Gameplay which still felt more like Brawl than Melee. A Roster where Wii fit Trainer not only got in before iconic chars such as K rool or Isaac, but we got Chars like Wolf or Snake cut in Favor of a weird pick like Duck hunt duo.
I absolutely have nothing against duck hunt, But the NES Era (just as the Pokemon and Mario Franchise) are overrepresented whilr other franchises such as dk or Zelda have almost no representation.

I warmed up a bit with him again after he for the first time listened to the Fans rather than his own weird tatse. He made Gameplay faster similiar to melee in terms if paste, he brought back wave landing back, he brought fan favorite stages back, he brought characters that the fans wanted, not chars that satisfied his own weird taste.

I really felt like sakurai has learned from his mistakes in sm4sh. up untill this direct...

Another Pokemon Rep (i really feel happy for inceniroars supporters, but there were characters which were much higher requested), another irrelevant weirdo like piranha plant, that got in before isaac or spring man which were both not only much higher requested, but also much more relevant than this dirty plant. You know what sakurai why didn't you just give us rattata? It is at least a bit more relevant than the piranha plant.
Sakurai again satisfies his own weird taste rather than the supportimg fans whishes amd i honestly don't want to see his name even close to the next smash game.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
I had an idea. It isn't just the Isaac fans that are in this situation. Shadow, Skull Kid, Ashley, Isaac, Walugi and a few others are in the same boat. I know we have our own petitions going, but what if we had an alliance with other characters trapped in assist trophy purgatory. What if we pooled our numbers with Waluigi supporters, Krystal supporters, Ashley supporters etc.

As the Golden Sun community our numbers are limited, but if we could voice our opinions alongside other character supporters maybe we could have enough people to make a real difference. One massive petition. We may be able to show Sakurai that it's not just Waluigi fans or Ashley fans, or Isaac fans unhappy about their situations. This way Sakurai would have a reason to promote some assists. Sakurai may not promote one assist by themselves, but if he saw that many fans of different assist characters all agree on something he may change his mind.

If there is a second set of DLC it would be best to have a petition sooner rather than later, before they start planning the next batch of characters. Maybe we could call it the "Allied Assist Trophy Alliance", or "Smash Assist Trophy Alliance".Honestly the name doesn't matter. If it does take off maybe we could get some youtubers to promote it and spread the word. Even if everyone isn't an Isaac or Waluigi supporter they may sign the petition for Skull Kid or Shadow. It could be the difference between a thousand signatures on a petition or ten thousand.

Any Thoughts?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Then ask the K. Rool threads. All those people were part of the Kampaign and are sure to know
Yeah and I think a lot of them know exactly how Isaac fans feel rn. Many KRool supporters have started supporting Isaac

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
I had an idea. It isn't just the Isaac fans that are in this situation. Shadow, Skull Kid, Ashley, Isaac, Walugi and a few others are in the same boat. I know we have our own petitions going, but what if we had an alliance with other characters trapped in assist trophy purgatory. What if we pooled our numbers with Waluigi supporters, Krystal supporters, Ashley supporters etc.

As the Golden Sun community our numbers are limited, but if we could voice our opinions alongside other character supporters maybe we could have enough people to make a real difference. One massive petition. We may be able to show Sakurai that it's not just Waluigi fans or Ashley fans, or Isaac fans unhappy about their situations. This way Sakurai would have a reason to promote some assists. Sakurai may not promote one assist by themselves, but if he saw that many fans of different assist characters all agree on something he may change his mind.

If there is a second set of DLC it would be best to have a petition sooner rather than later, before they start planning the next batch of characters. Maybe we could call it the "Allied Assist Trophy Alliance", or "Smash Assist Trophy Alliance".Honestly the name doesn't matter. If it does take off maybe we could get some youtubers to promote it and spread the word. Even if everyone isn't an Isaac or Waluigi supporter they may sign the petition for Skull Kid or Shadow. It could be the difference between a thousand signatures on a petition or ten thousand.

Any Thoughts?
Yeah, I've noticed quite a few of the supporters of those characters have been reaching out to us lately and I feel like we should band together. After all...

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys here is some food for though I found with one of Red's videos regarding the assist trophy massacre.

I think the only issue with assists getting promoted within the same game, is that not everyone gets DLC. So what happens if Waluigi becomes DLC and I don’t buy him? Does he just disappear from my game and I lose some content? Does he remain an assist on my game, but is playable in another game? Does he disappear for those who do get DLC? It’s simply too complicated and no matter what way Sakurai does it everyone knows some portion of the community will hate it, one reason or another. Assists have a bigger, yet not engaging, role than let’s say stickers/trophies/Spirits. It downright sucks because you know they’re stuck there. One way I could see revolving this issue is free DLC. Probably impossible (definitely impossible), but it would fix the issue since everyone would get that character promotion, not just those who pay. It takes away the complications in assist—>character DLC. Again, this won’t happen because characters take way too much time to give away like that. I could see some free alts or discounted echos, but that’s really it. Also, on another topic, do you think Sakurai did not pick Isaac as a playable character because he knew either way Golden Sun would not be revived? A big reason a lot of Isaac fans wanted him was because they wanted the series to come back. But just because they’re in, doesn’t mean the series is back... right? Kind of an odd case, because I don’t think a dead character from a dead franchise was brought back through smash, yet the series remained dead. Maybe I’m wrong about that, correct me if so. I believe this happened to Pit, but Pit’s series was actually revived. I don’t think Sakurai wanted to give fans that false hope that Golden Sun will return if he knew it was not. And I think it would be kind of strange to bring him back but not the franchise. You could argue K Rool came into Smash, but his series is still successful. It takes much less effort to implement a character as a final or secret boss in future games, than to remake an entire series. I guess Nintendo just didn’t want to try for the revival of Golden Sun. I don’t see why not, but maybe another time. I’m gonna stop writing now lol, but anyway another great video Red. Assists should definitely have a more engaging role with players so it feels good to have a character you want there.
Show less

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've noticed quite a few of the supporters of those characters have been reaching out to us lately and I feel like we should band together. After all...
It might be crazy enough to work. I don't think we have anything to lose. At worst Sakurai acknowledges that people don't want characters they like to be relegated to assist trophies. At best he patches out some assist trophies and brings them back as playable fighters later down the line.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Hey guys here is some food for though I found with one of Red's videos regarding the assist trophy massacre.

I think the only issue with assists getting promoted within the same game, is that not everyone gets DLC. So what happens if Waluigi becomes DLC and I don’t buy him? Does he just disappear from my game and I lose some content? Does he remain an assist on my game, but is playable in another game? Does he disappear for those who do get DLC? It’s simply too complicated and no matter what way Sakurai does it everyone knows some portion of the community will hate it, one reason or another. Assists have a bigger, yet not engaging, role than let’s say stickers/trophies/Spirits. It downright sucks because you know they’re stuck there. One way I could see revolving this issue is free DLC. Probably impossible (definitely impossible), but it would fix the issue since everyone would get that character promotion, not just those who pay. It takes away the complications in assist—>character DLC. Again, this won’t happen because characters take way too much time to give away like that. I could see some free alts or discounted echos, but that’s really it. Also, on another topic, do you think Sakurai did not pick Isaac as a playable character because he knew either way Golden Sun would not be revived? A big reason a lot of Isaac fans wanted him was because they wanted the series to come back. But just because they’re in, doesn’t mean the series is back... right? Kind of an odd case, because I don’t think a dead character from a dead franchise was brought back through smash, yet the series remained dead. Maybe I’m wrong about that, correct me if so. I believe this happened to Pit, but Pit’s series was actually revived. I don’t think Sakurai wanted to give fans that false hope that Golden Sun will return if he knew it was not. And I think it would be kind of strange to bring him back but not the franchise. You could argue K Rool came into Smash, but his series is still successful. It takes much less effort to implement a character as a final or secret boss in future games, than to remake an entire series. I guess Nintendo just didn’t want to try for the revival of Golden Sun. I don’t see why not, but maybe another time. I’m gonna stop writing now lol, but anyway another great video Red. Assists should definitely have a more engaging role with players so it feels good to have a character you want there.
Show less
Or you just leave the assist in the game and he can be both playable and an assist. If Chrom can be playable and in a final smash, being playable and an assist isn't entirely out of the question.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'd be down to sign a petition. I haven't voiced my opinion in the past, but didn't realize how much I wanted Isaac in Smash until the leak happened (and was subsequently really disappointed when he wasn't included). His moveset would be very unique as a Venus adept, and I feel like he could add a lot to the game. It makes sense that he wasn't included since there hasn't been a new GS game in 8 years, but hey, that's probably what people said about ICs and Pit.

I think the only issue with assists getting promoted within the same game, is that not everyone gets DLC. So what happens if Waluigi becomes DLC and I don’t buy him? Does he just disappear from my game and I lose some content? Does he remain an assist on my game, but is playable in another game? Does he disappear for those who do get DLC? It’s simply too complicated and no matter what way Sakurai does it everyone knows some portion of the community will hate it, one reason or another.
They could fairly easily disable DLC trophies online, but only disable the trophies that you don't have the characters for offline. With that said, though, it's less of a big draw for the marketing department to include someone who is already an assist trophy. That's the argument I would make for assist trophy characters not being converted.

Tasokun

Smash Cadet
Hello, I'm from the Ashley support thread. I like this idea of sticking together. I think a simple thing to do would be to coin a catchy term that refers to the most wanted assist trophy characters.

An example of this would be historical terms such as "the big three" for Mewtwo, Krool, and Ridley, or the "forbidden seven" for previously cut characters.

It's a simple thing to do but it has a lot of power; setting characters under a unified symbol.

Ninetales Commander

Smash Cadet
I really felt like sakurai has learned from his mistakes in sm4sh. up untill this direct...

Another Pokemon Rep (i really feel happy for inceniroars supporters, but there were characters which were much higher requested), another irrelevant weirdo like piranha plant, that got in before isaac or spring man which were both not only much higher requested, but also much more relevant than this dirty plant. You know what sakurai why didn't you just give us rattata? It is at least a bit more relevant than the piranha plant.
Sakurai again satisfies his own weird taste rather than the supportimg fans whishes amd i honestly don't want to see his name even close to the next smash game.
I'm sorry but this comment is 100% un-called for. Sakurai has not only given us Ridley, King K Rool, & Simon Belmont but he also brought back every last fighter from all the past games! And on top of that we actually have what looks to be a good adventure mode this time. Yeah sure maybe the story won't be much to write home about the same could be said for Smash Bros Brawl. As for Pokemon, that's always been the case for Smash Bros, we have always had a new Pokemon Rep in every single Smash Bros game, why people don't expect that to happen this time is beyond me. Same for Piranha Plant, we've always had a "WTF Character" in Smash Bros. Smash Bros 64 has Jigglypuff, Smash Bros Melee had Pichu, Smash Bros Brawl had ROB, and Smash Bros 4 had Wii Fit Trainer. Saying that Sakurai doesn't listen to the fans is downright insulting after all the hard work him and his team has put in.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
So are we just going to ignore the fact they showed Rathalos being moved on the adventure mode map? That's a stage boss/assist trophy. Maybe I'm overthinking things but that seems odd doesn't it?
bigoldragon.PNG

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I am starting to wonder whether or not Camelot is up to the task of making a new Golden Sun at this point - I'd have to look into it, but I'm fairly sure they've lost a lot of the devs that worked on their earlier titles; hell, they can barely make a decent Mario Sports title at this point. Thus, Nintendo would have to hand the series over to another developer - be that a new development team or an established one, likely another 2nd party like Intelligent Systems or AlphaDream. The worst part is, I've basically listed off the developers they could turn to right there, because GameFreak and Creatures do very little outside of Pokemon (though with TOWN coming, I guess anything's possible), Monolith Soft doesn't really do traditional JRPGs, much less those that would fit Golden Sun in style, and a lot of other 2nd parties who used to do Nintendo RPGs haven't made one in a long time; for example, 1-UP Studio and HAL Lab haven't really worked on one since Mother 3. Getting a new dev team for the series in any case would be a huge risk and take a lot of investment. Nintendo probably doesn't see it as a worthwhile endeavor, and unfortunately I can't blame them. Honestly, in an ideal world, they'd hand the series over to the developers whose games are the obvious inspiration and likely even point of competition to Golden Sun - with games like Octopath Traveler, Square Enix is clearly trying to get a foothold on the Switch, and having them work on a beloved if niche Nintendo franchise would probably be a wonderful deal for both parties. Unfortunately, this is probably even more of a risk, especially if any enmity about collaboration still exists within either of the two companies from the N64 era.
Show less

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
So are we just going to ignore the fact they showed Rathalos being moved on the adventure mode map? That's a stage boss/assist trophy. Maybe I'm overthinking things but that seems odd doesn't it?
View attachment 175140
Silly little man, it was the map actually moving; Rath was just flapping about.
Overworld Map is the latest addition to the Smash roster!

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice

Show less
I would think the best way to handle such a situation would be for there to have a suitable replacement.

So, for example, get another character to hit people with a tennis racket if Waluigi got promoted, or have Matthew fulfill Isaac's role while he gets promoted.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I would think the best way to handle such a situation would be for there to have a suitable replacement.

So, for example, get another character to hit people with a tennis racket if Waluigi got promoted, or have Matthew fulfill Isaac's role while he gets promoted.
Judging by he evidence we have, that doesn’t even need to be the case apparently. If there can exist two different versions of Chrom in a single instance (playable Chrom/Final Smash Chrom) why not the same with assists? It’s... silly... but it’s the only foothold we have.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, another nugget from the Discord.

When considering the ballot, they could have easily phrased the question as "Which characters would you pay for?"

We need to consider the ballot for what it was, a way to make money off of the game. Take a few characters from it for the base game to get people to buy the game to start with, then nickle and dime them with the other ones that they already know fans will pay for (we told them as much). This is part of the reason I am confident both Geno and B&K are DLC, but it also applies to Isaac.

He did well. They know he will sell DLC, so why not capitalize on the fandom to make a little bit of money with it?
If they were going to do that, they would have done it by 4’s DLC.

What probably happened is they were expecting Cloud to win, and when he didn’t, they decided to stick the winner (K. Rool) in the next game.

Then marketing had the brilliant idea to sell the game as if it was going to be all ballot.

NNN

Smash Cadet
I think a season 2 DLC with assist trophy characters promoted would print lots of money for nintendo, this could be a possibility if enough noise is made.
Although I just hope Sakurai will delegate on someone and take a deserved rest after season 1, he deserves it.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
On an unrelated note I think I figured out why Sakurai did not add Isaac as a playable fighter. Imagine the World of Light trailer with Isaac in it.

Fox : Don't let a single one get away!
Marth : We'll each need to take down about ten.
Zelda : Stow your fear its now or never!
Summons Judgement!
Judgement flies above the final boss, and the lion shield opens up. We all know how this ends.
Sorry everyone World of Light mode is cancelled.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't really have huge confidence with my drawing yet so this is pretty much a quick copy of his ultimate assist....but I felt like drawing something so here it is.

Attachments

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
On an unrelated note I think I figured out why Sakurai did not add Isaac as a playable fighter. Imagine the World of Light trailer with Isaac in it.

Summons Judgement!
Judgement flies above the final boss, and the lion shield opens up. We all know how this ends.
Thinking about your awesome Isaac would have been in that trailer makes me even sadder that he didn't make it.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
If they were going to do that, they would have done it by 4’s DLC.

What probably happened is they were expecting Cloud to win, and when he didn’t, they decided to stick the winner (K. Rool) in the next game.

Then marketing had the brilliant idea to sell the game as if it was going to be all ballot.
Yep. I think with the Ballot, they thought that they knew exactly what we would ask for. But then we asked for the complete opposite of what they thought, and instead of reassessing their connection to the fans, they either viewed it as an aberration/statistical anomaly or they looked at it and saw what they wanted to see. K. Rool's support was just too overwhelming to ignore, and Ridley has only had the "too big" problem in the past.

People say Simon was a ballot character, but I don't view him that way. Not doubting his popularity; I just feel he got in for other reasons than the ballot. The way Sakurai talked about Castlevania made it seem like it was one of those franchises that just happened to fit with his personal nostalgia. And again, not trying to insult or discredit the Belmonts; it just felt like a Sakurai choice more so than a ballot choice to me.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I think we need to accept that Matthew or Felix is our last hope. I am still going for Isaac but getting an assist trophy promotion just doesn't seem possible with all the complications that could come with it. At least that's what a majority of the smash community is saying.

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
Yep. I think with the Ballot, they thought that they knew exactly what we would ask for. But then we asked for the complete opposite of what they thought, and instead of reassessing their connection to the fans, they either viewed it as an aberration/statistical anomaly or they looked at it and saw what they wanted to see. K. Rool's support was just too overwhelming to ignore, and Ridley has only had the "too big" problem in the past.

People say Simon was a ballot character, but I don't view him that way. Not doubting his popularity; I just feel he got in for other reasons than the ballot. The way Sakurai talked about Castlevania made it seem like it was one of those franchises that just happened to fit with his personal nostalgia. And again, not trying to insult or discredit the Belmonts; it just felt like a Sakurai choice more so than a ballot choice to me.
I apologize for the rudeness, but this answer reeks of ignorance.

The Smash Ballot was always about Ultimate. The Wii U sold like crap and was at the end of its life. Sakurai is on record saying that a new character, from concept to production, takes about a year to finish. There was no way the Smash Ballot was going to effect who was actually in Smash 4. It was their way of figuring out who they should add to Ultimate, and I'd say it worked.

They now know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there's a large group of fans that will pay for Banjo, Geno and Isaac. Why would they choose to ignore that? It's free money.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I apologize for the rudeness, but this answer reeks of ignorance.

The Smash Ballot was always about Ultimate. The Wii U sold like crap and was at the end of its life. Sakurai is on record saying that a new character, from concept to production, takes about a year to finish. There was no way the Smash Ballot was going to effect who was actually in Smash 4. It was their way of figuring out who they should add to Ultimate, and I'd say it worked.

They now know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there's a large group of fans that will pay for Banjo, Geno and Isaac. Why would they choose to ignore that? It's free money.
Okay, I can admit that everything I said there was conjecture without any real proof to back it up. Perhaps a little too strong. You seem to be suggesting that popular ballot characters were held off until DLC (like Isaac/Geno/Banjo/etc). This is the more positive outlook and also a possibility that I should not ignore. But imho, it's not the most likely possibility.

I should clarify that the "Ultimate" tagline has seemed (thus far) to be more directed towards bringing together all the old content, rather than in reference to a lot of new content, at least from my personal observations. I also agree that the ballot was definitely not intended for 4. But I'm not certain right now that it was even intended for this game. I don't wanna argue about this though. I'm not concerned about being right or wrong here and we'll find out what their plans were when the DLC is revealed.

Last edited:

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I can admit that everything I said there was conjecture without any real proof to back it up. Perhaps a little too strong. You seem to be suggesting that popular ballot characters were held off until DLC (like Isaac/Geno/Banjo/etc). This is the more positive outlook and also a possibility that I should not ignore. But imho, it's not the most likely possibility.
Honestly, it just makes perfect sense to me. The characters you ask people to pay for individually have to have strong fan support to make them worth it. So Nintendo used something to determine which characters had strong fan support.

If they'd made them all DLC, fans would call them out on it. But by adding Ridley and K.Rool, they earned a lot of favor with the community. When Banjo and Geno show up, they will have no difficulty selling them.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Honestly, it just makes perfect sense to me. The characters you ask people to pay for individually have to have strong fan support to make them worth it. So Nintendo used something to determine which characters had strong fan support.

If they'd made them all DLC, fans would call them out on it. But by adding Ridley and K.Rool, they earned a lot of favor with the community. When Banjo and Geno show up, they will have no difficulty selling them.
If only Isaac was one of those options...

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
If only Isaac was one of those options...
Who says he's not?

As we've discussed before, the "AT's cannot be playable" is a fan rule. And as we all know very well, Sakurai loves turning expectations of their heads.

SPEN18

Smash Champion

Sure, makes some sense. Although Sakurai has said in the past that he doesn't like to "save" stuff for DLC (don't know where the source is for that, though I've heard it a lot around here). Doesn't mean he won't change his stance on that, but we don't know if he would. Whatever the case, I think the DLC picks will make things pretty crystal clear in terms of how much they are listening to Smash fans.

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman

It's an interesting theory and we'll just have to keep an eye on it for now. I still contend that Rathalos tweet was a Golden Sun reference and there hasn't been a payoff with that so far at all. It's... quite frankly weird. If the payoff was supposed to be Assist Trophy, they failed on all fronts with that.

My only other concern is how we only see him using psynergy hands which feels lame. So, we just wait again. Oh well.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Summons Judgement!
Imagine the scene cutting to Isaac on the cliff after that, preparing to summon Judgement. Then Shulk has his future vision thing-y and the first one we see get vaporized is Isaac. Alternatively I can see Isaac on the ground beside Link, both fending off the light beams with their respective abilities before getting vaporized. Really when that cut scene came up, I actually thought Isaac would show up at the beginning for some reason lol.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
You should talk to him this is the guy
He's a golden sun supporter and he supports fire emblem he could expose the series to them he's also talked about advance wars aswell there is also Red he's a golden sun supporter as well
And last but not least there's Ryrule another isaac and golden sun supporter you've got options on who to talk to best to try and get all 3

Last edited:
Top Bottom