• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Young Link top tier?

Aeriesune0

Smash Rookie
I certainly think so. He was one of the first characters I unlocked and I was like man, this feels like how Link felt in N64 smash. Powerful, fast, all his projectiles hit frequently and cause very little lag when using them. And those fire arrows though. A Young Link main got 3rd at Midwest Mayhem last night, out of 250 entrants. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeKNxdHR_2c

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031
I think Young Link is definitely high tier and maybe in time when more kill confirms and tech are labbed up he could go higher, but he still has a difficult time killing. The engine does benefit him with the way he can wiz around the stage so time will tell.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
He has the tools and frame data necessary to be there. We need tournament results to back it up. But theres no way hes anything lower than high tier right now.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
He's top tier in my book, some deadly finishers, crazy ability to rack up damage. I love him!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
If I saw correctly, Leffen put Young Link into his top tier. I find that hard to believe, but I certainly won't fight it. I love playing Young Link.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
He's definitely high tier and the best of the 3 Links. He has basically everything a character needs to be good, now he just needs solid tourney results.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
He's the best of the Links, although it's close between him and adult Link imo.

His KO power is a bit below average but sufficient enough. Love comboing from bombs. He's got tons of traps into fair or dair which end stocks like nothing. I used to secondary him in Melee and I can tell his ftilt got nerfed in terms of power, but it's still pretty fast and reliable. Fire Arrows are still as good as they were there and boomerang is obnoxiously good at controlling space. I really like his nair too, much more reliable than Tinks. In fact his movement physics are much better as a whole than Tinks.

He does suffer from having bad recovery, and his moveset, although fairly quick for a swordie, lacks range.

When I play him I have a rough time mostly against Fox, Pichu, and Pikachu. I feel these three are his worst matchups, although they all feel doable.

I'd be surprised if he's anything below high tier myself. I'd say High tier atm since he lacks the results, but just looking at him he's no way any less than high.

Last edited:

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
If by "top tier" you mean Top 5, then no. However, I can easily see him being Top 10 range. Young Link has some pretty big advantages in the zoning game, generally being the best zoner off of arrows alone, which do combo. The main issue with Yink is that he dies faster than the average character and he takes longer to get KOs with than the average character (ignoring offstage edgeguards and gimps of course). His light weight and baby hits are the main reason why he isn't a "top tier" imo, but if you call him an upper high tier character, that's easily understandable.

Haden

He's the best of the Links, although it's close between him and adult Link imo.

He does suffer from having bad recovery, and his moveset, although fairly quick for a swordie, lacks range.
His recovery doesn't suffer in the slightest. Not only can he extend his recovery with bombs, but the hit boxes on up special also make it slightly more safe than the average recovery too. He even has a tether for recovery mixup, so yeah. No top level Yink would agree with your statement, in fact, most of them are on record praising his recovery, for good reasons I might add.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I forgot about z juggling bombs. Thought that was a thing he didn't have :p

Wait... how do I use bombs to recover with him? I'm having a lot of trouble for some reason. Can someone provide a link (pun intended) or explanation?

Last edited:

Haden

I forgot about z juggling bombs. Thought that was a thing he didn't have :p

Wait... how do I use bombs to recover with him? I'm having a lot of trouble for some reason. Can someone provide a link (pun intended) or explanation?
I've seen bombs used to extend recovery and sometimes even edge guards. A couple of things I've seen be done is people Z-drop a bomb and then attack the bomb to blow themselves up. Also, if you pull a bomb while recovering from the top corner, or just before you jump off the stage to edge guard, chances are, if you don't make it back with up special, that bomb will blow up, and you will make it back with a second up special. I've also seen Yinks blow themselves up multiple times and tech the stage like Snakes do. Just youtube Young Link bomb recovery and you should get some tutorials and whatnot.

Last edited:
I have somewhat mixed thoughts about Young Link. He's really fun, but I feel that he has a less pronounced Pit problem. Everything he does well is done better by somebody else. Fox outbuttons him, Toon Link outzones him, other swordies outspace him, a few characters outcombo him, and half the cast outruns him. I think he still holds up well because he's good at a lot of things, but I don't really see his matchup spread being top-tier amazing since a lot of the higher tier characters have things that can counter him. he just feels like a character with a lot of even matchups. Granted, both Young Link and Toon Link are fairly execution-heavy characters, so I could see both getting better throughout Ultimate's lifespan while other characters stagnate.

Haden

I have somewhat mixed thoughts about Young Link. He's really fun, but I feel that he has a less pronounced Pit problem. Everything he does well is done better by somebody else. Fox outbuttons him, Toon Link outzones him, other swordies outspace him, a few characters outcombo him, and half the cast outruns him. I think he still holds up well because he's good at a lot of things, but I don't really see his matchup spread being top-tier amazing since a lot of the higher tier characters have things that can counter him. he just feels like a character with a lot of even matchups. Granted, both Young Link and Toon Link are fairly execution-heavy characters, so I could see both getting better throughout Ultimate's lifespan while other characters stagnate.
I call him a jack of all trades and a master at none.

Top Bottom