• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Young Link good for a first main?

MinhtheMage

Smash Rookie
So I've recently started playing Melee (very recently, as of 3 weeks ago.) I've decided I want my main to be Young Link, with my secondary being Mario.

I get that Young Link is a low tier character but that's one of the reasons I picked him. Because in my opinion, screw the meta. I hate Fox and Falco's playstyles and, while Marth is my Smash 4 main, he doesn't feel the same in Melee.

So here's the question. Should I have Young Link as my first main? Or should I consider someone else before I go to deep.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
First and foremost, because you recently started out playing you shouldn't have a secondary at all. It is definitely the best to focus on one character (your main) and to learn the matchup with them, instead of spreading the time between characters. Some characters for example have different jump squat timings which makes wavedashing between them slightly different and it takes a while to get use to it. There's also learning what your character can and can't do, what will get you killed, limits of their recovery, spacing, etc. Not to mention, you play other Smash titles which makes transitioning between the games tough to do.

Regardless if you choose a low-tier, mid-tier or even a top-tier character, you're going to fight high/ top-tier characters almost all the time. At tournaments, you will rarely see people play characters worse than Peach or Yoshi (varies) and only low-tier characters if someone is bored or trolling. Young Link being low tier means he has a tougher time against those better characters which will make the road to getting better much longer and frustrating. Though he has strengths of his own, it takes a while to learn what he can do and how he fares against all other characters (A.K.A. the matchup). If you were to use Mario as a secondary, which as said before I don't advise, it will take much longer to become a better player overall.

I don't recommend using Young link as your first main competitively, but you can still do it. Sure, there is debate about if he is a viable character or not and people say you should play characters you feel are fun, going into the competitive scene is tedious and grindy, like a Korean RPG.

TL;DR: not recommended, but if you stick with Y. Link, drop Mario as a secondary and focus on Link. Melee is a bit harsh on the characters that aren't too good as the game is pretty unbalanced but it is still fun and manageable. Especially if you get good and fare well in the meta which is developed quite a lot.

Last edited:

NOTICE

Smash Rookie
Any character is capable of beating a top tier character, even more so low tiers if the player knows the matchup and many players have not had a lot of experience playing against low teirs however because you are just starting out in Melee I think that choosing a low tier like Young Link is quite difficult. I feel like the only way for you to get good at a low tier is to be playing the game for a crazy amount of time and attending many different tournaments and learning how to use your character.

I know you say Marth plays differently in Melee, but honestly Marth in Melee feels so much more clean than Smash 4 Marth. You would learn spacing and grab games much better playing Marth than Young Link or Mario.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
YL probably isn't a good first main, but give him a try here and there if you want! I feel Falcon is probably better for learning fundamentals and stuff, but yeah. Mario might be a better first main if you wanna go the low tier route. He's still fast, has a good throw game, and cape can EZ gimp a lot of recoveries.

Top Bottom