• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is YL considered a fast character?

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Would you consider him to be a fast character? I consider his speed fairly common in terms of his attacks (not run speed). Characters like bowser for example seem to outspeed me or I cant run away from them quick enough after wiffing an attack for example. I often hear people say he's such a fast character but I dont know if I agree. He feels average to me. What do you think?

woodstck

Smash Rookie
Here you can check out how YL's base stats compare to other characters. He's quite average in terms of running/dashing, a bit on the worse end of air acceleration and air speed but his fall speed is where he shines. His quick fall speed allows him to make effective use of fast fall arials to start combos. His fair, bair & nair have very little lag allowing him to move on to the next option really quickly. As you pointed out, his other normals, such as some of his tilts, come out fast and I would consider this combination the reason people (including myself) consider him a fast character.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Here you can check out how YL's base stats compare to other characters. He's quite average in terms of running/dashing, a bit on the worse end of air acceleration and air speed but his fall speed is where he shines. His quick fall speed allows him to make effective use of fast fall arials to start combos. His fair, bair & nair have very little lag allowing him to move on to the next option really quickly. As you pointed out, his other normals, such as some of his tilts, come out fast and I would consider this combination the reason people (including myself) consider him a fast character.
Thanks for that great post! Looking at this frame data it would seem he loses to alot of the top players in jab speed, tilt speed, and ofcourse damage, range, and grab speed (ofcourse). Im starting to really see why he's placed where he is and why It seems like such a struggle to win consistently with him sometimes. For his lack of speed he doesnt make it up in power or range (his attacks). It doesnt make sense that someone like shulk has faster jabs than the links do with his giant sword for example. But like you said its probably YL's fast fall speed that can make him alittle more legit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom