• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Wario underrated?

igligl

Smash Rookie
I think that Wario:ultwario: is underrated, he has great air mobility, he is heavy and has an okay recovery. He also has a great comeback mechanic that kills super early. I think that Wario could be top 5 especially with Tweak who is either the best or second best smash ultimate playing him he will get maximized fast.

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
Wario is hard to rank. the problem with him is it seems like his moves have no priority and short range. I don't think he is top 5 because to me he has a lot of bad match ups being the 2 rats and all the sword characters and Ness honestly is pretty bad. What makes that bad to is those are all top characters. I would rank him 10-15th best character probably because I think he destroys brawler top characters but can't handle some top teirs. The best secondary character though. hopefully he gets a buff on his range to make him a top top character

Last edited:

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
Well it helps that tweek is just naturally really good at the game. Maybe as the game progresses and people gradually deal with swords and disjointies bettter he’ll grow with that.

Wario has a lot bad MUs thanks to his pathetically short range and decent but limited kill power-which doesn’t exactly make him the easiest character to play-there’s a reason you don’t see him literally everywhere online(or in general I guess)like the other universally considered top tiers.

Kinda hoping buffs address his issues-the foundation is most certainly there it just needs a little boost before the top tier position

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
Not at all, he is already known to be good in this game and is put in s tier in many pros lists.

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
ya there just wrong. wario has way to many bad match ups to be a top tier. The reason i think people have him high up is because 2 of the best players in the world just happened to pick him but as you can see all the top players are moving away from him because he needs range buffs

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
ya there just wrong. wario has way to many bad match ups to be a top tier. The reason i think people have him high up is because 2 of the best players in the world just happened to pick him but as you can see all the top players are moving away from him because he needs range buffs
Or maybe the top players just know how to use him in his full potential? Wario has insane air mobility for a heavy weight, and benefits a whole lot from the universal jump squat buff. This allows him to pull of some crazy juggles with up air and up-tilt, which allows him to rack up crazy damage. God save you if Wario has a waft, because Wario has great kill setups from aerials into waft, which can easily KO at mid percents. On top of those changes, you can't deny the other quality of life aspects: nair is safe on shield, dash attack is a kill move, chomp can heal and kill at ledge, uptilt has insane follow ups, down tilt is quick and easy to combo with, forward tilt is better, back air is stronger, etc. Top tier Wario is well justified in my opinion.

Buuhan

He is one of the best Ariel fighters in the game and already has good range, not to mention waft can secure a kill at medium percents. He also has a great combo game and good recovery. there is almost zero reason for him not to be a top tier.

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
wario has bad match ups vs all the sword characters as well pika, pichu, snake, and ness. That alone makes him around 10-15th best character range in my opinion.

igligl

Smash Rookie
wario has bad matchups vs all the sword characters as well pika, Pichu, snake, and ness. That alone makes him around 10-15th best character range in my opinion.
I do not think he has a bad matchup against the chews because Wario can kill them really early while they can't
MAIN :ultwario:
Secondaries :ultgreninja::ultjigglypuff::ultgunner::ultpalutena::ultsamus::ultmewtwo:

Buuhan

Well, some of those matchups don’t sound that bad, they aren’t the hardest for me at-least. Point is, even with a few bad matchups there is almost no reason for him not to be top tier looking at everything else I stated above.

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
Wario does not have any favorable match ups vs any top tier so how can he be top tier himself it just doesn't make sense. Ill give you my list of characters I think are for sure better then Wario. Pika Pichu Inkling Snake Olimar Peach Lucina Fox Wolf Mega Man Ness Young Link Paultina Greninja Yoshi, and Link. So that would make him number 17 in my opinion which does not qualify for top tier or underrated. Also that list was not ordered. Also for the record I do main wario and play wario a lot so I'm not just saying this stuff. I truly believe he needs a buff to his range, Up smash to do more damage and for his down smash to be fixed so you can use the move.

Last edited:

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
also guys if you don't agree with me please share your opinions on wario's top tier match ups and which ones you think he he clearly wins.

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
That's fair I do think megaman is pretty strong and one of the most underrated in the game.

D

Deleted member

Seems too rewarding for how easy he is.
Wario does not have any favorable match ups vs any top tier so how can he be top tier himself it just doesn't make sense. Ill give you my list of characters I think are for sure better then Wario. Pika Pichu Inkling Snake Olimar Peach Lucina Fox Wolf Mega Man Ness Young Link Paultina Greninja Yoshi, and Link. So that would make him number 17 in my opinion which does not qualify for top tier or underrated. Also that list was not ordered. Also for the record I do main wario and play wario a lot so I'm not just saying this stuff. I truly believe he needs a buff to his range, Up smash to do more damage and for his down smash to be fixed so you can use the move.
Up smash kills me at barely 100% and has a very generous hit box. I agree that down smash is junk. IMO nerf the crap out of up smash and buff the crap out of down smash.

Uberhero

Smash Rookie
Not really, I find Wario a really strong character. Sure, he doesn't have the same capacities that, let's say, Pichu, Peach, Palutena or other top tier characters have, but his air and combo game is excellent.

Ninday Utopia

Smash Rookie
Wario is fast and heavy, and he has a small volume. All these basic data is good.
Wario can use powful combos to make big damage( with two upair in one combo,60% damage is not a dream)
Wario's bite and bike is also interesting. His waft is so strong,fantastic and amazing which is a nightmare for light characters(especially PICHU), Both Tweek and Gluttony usually use half or full waft redeem big disadvantage and win. But for me, I can't make the best of waft :(
However, wario's smash attacks are bad, up smash just ok, but fsmash and downsmash are kind of slow and have a big flaw. I believe I can hardly use 1or2 smash to kill in 100 games. backair,DA,Ftilt are much more useful.

Ninday Utopia

Smash Rookie
I think Wario is a reliable but simple character. In head-to-head battles, wairo don't fear anyone. But he don't have a magnificent style(like joker or ZSS), his only magic is waft(which could be shielded and dodged)
For me, I don't fear sword characters, but weird,quckily movements are fatal to me. DIDIKONG's banana skin, Snake's grenade, Ness's erratic airattacks would make me feel terrible. Wario‘s range is not good, so he may not adapt opponent's changeable strategy.

I like wario because I think he is a cute and funny man. Big hands, big mouse, pink pants and funny waft......always make me feel easy and relaxed. Many people say he is not good-looking......so I am happy to see you guys are willing to pay attention on wario.
And......please forgive me for my bad English......

Top Bottom