• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Villager too OP?

Is Villager too OP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Okay, so just so you know, I'v only played the demo of Smash 3DS, so I haven't compared him to characters other than Mario, Link, Pikachu and Megaman, but Villager looks pretty damn OP. I mean, his recovery ability is insane (he is able to drop off the right ledge of the training area and balloon over to the left side, and this is the training stage, like, 4 times bigger than Final Destination) His secondary recovery is also insanely good. His pocket lets him pick up things like a fully charged Megaman side-smash, or even Pikachu's Down-B (How can he put a lightningbolt in his frigging pocket?) His Timber is really strong, and the axe can pretty much be used as a mid-air smash. His forward smash is great for stopping recoverys, and his down smash floor stuns people. His pocket even has super armor. From what I'v played and seen, Villager really is this OP threat that everybody was joking about him being when he was first confirmed. What do you guys think? Also, I put a poll to see if you guys think hes OP

Last edited:

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Villager seems pretty balanced to me. While his recoveries are both incredible, they're very linear and leave Villager pretty vulnerable to a skilled player. Fair and Bair are pretty awesome, but Nair, Dair, and Uair are all pretty mediocre. Meh hitboxes, and turnips only spike 1/3 of the time. His jabs can lead into some nice combos, but have bad range, and Villager is pretty light and slow(from what I've seen in the demo). Pocket is incredible, but in the end it's just an better, more skill-intensive reflector. Tree can be useful at times, but most players will be able to dodge the trunk, and most likely just roll past it(Which can be punished). Besides, Villager lacks the projectile options to really pressure the opponents on larger stages like FD, and there's no rule saying you have to attack Villager while he camps behind his tree. Spamming weak projectiles will shorten the tree's lifespan considerably, without pocket being too much of an issue. Unless it's a team match, camping shouldn't be a problem. Villager's edgeguarding is pretty scary, but I can see characters with nonlinear recovery(and burst projectiles), like Palutena, really messing villager up.

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Villager feels very balanced, at least compared to what is the monster called Rosalina, at least imo.

Villager has all the tools needed to compete though, defo not a bad char.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
The only thing OP I see is the pocket. Its just so damn good.
Why do people always say a specific move is OP? OP implies that the move unbalances the meta, which it doesn't. Calling a move OP might make sense of every character had access to balloons and Fwind as custom Up Specials, but in a game like smash where most of the moves are unique, it's feels kind of pointless. Pocket would only be OP if Villager were already a top tier character without it, and the inclusion of the move made Villager broken. The way I see it, Villager is an okay character without pocket, and the inclusion of pocket helps make him good.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I find his lack of range fairly balancing imo. It can be very hard to approach sometimes without just spamming dash attack because his tilts are all slow or lack range. The only really useful tilt in all situations is his f-tilt. Overall though, I do find him to be probably like a G&W in that he is one of the most balanced characters in the game.

Disclaimer: I've only played the demo, but I have put a lot of time into it.

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
villager is an amazing character, but he is limited by a few things:

-situational spike (only about a 34% chance of being to meteor smash if you hit them with down air.)
-moves are very telegraphed (ex. fair, bair, and the tree)
-dash attack is HIGHLY punishible
-axe has big ending lag

these are just a few of the problems i've noticed already with villager in the demo
I love him to death but i'm predicting he falls in around 12 on the tier list

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
Read up on the other threads. Villager's meta is looking bleak IMO.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
villager is light and can die easily from hard hitting characters like lil mac, bowser and ganondorf.
he is also slighty slow so he is also subject to rushdown characters like fox, lil mac, zss, greninja, diddy kong, captain falcon, and sonic.

he can sometimes be out camped.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I feel like he has amongst the best zoning capabilities and camping tools in the game, but once a rushdown character closes in on him, Villager doesn't seem to have a fast-ranged enough close-up attack to keep them off him. Kinda reminds me Link in that fashion.

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
Well, out of those first 5, I'd also say he could be the best one. But now, with all characters, there are so many good ones, he probably isn't. However, it's too soon to tell. He has a lot of potential, but, there are a bunch of others that do too.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I just wamt the wii u version to come out so i can exploit all of villagers strenghts on a real controller.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
He at very least has a distinct advantage against ROB, Diddy, and Bowser Jr. for his ability to almost permanently deprive them of a key move.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I just wamt the wii u version to come out so i can exploit all of villagers strenghts on a real controller.
When the Wii U version comes out, Villager is going to be dwarfed even more. He has no control-strict techs nor should he be moving aggressively at all, Villager doesn't get limited by the controller like fast-paced characters do like Falcon and Sheik.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
When the Wii U version comes out, Villager is going to be dwarfed even more. He has no control-strict techs nor should he be moving aggressively at all, Villager doesn't get limited by the controller like fast-paced characters do like Falcon and Sheik.
one of my main problems with the controls is the circle pad. i dont have to be aggressive with villager but the cicle pad tilted diagonally on the ground is different than in the air, so if i am not dead on in the direction i want, i could up-b when i want to side b, or fair when i want to up air. its a constant problem for me. no tech skill involved, just input error.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Please don't bump threads that are *checks watch* almost six years old. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom