• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is up-b cancel out of shield harder for anyone else?

Chaos0205

Smash Cadet
I can do up-b cancel fairly consistently out of dash, wavedash, shorthops, etc. But for some reason I can't seem to get it consistently out of shield. I'm gonna keep practicing it, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any others tips or advice? Is it a different timing for OOS? Thanks for any help.

Chaos0205

Smash Cadet
For further clarification, whenever I try it OOS, I either get a reverse up-b, a shorthop or a fullhop.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if you do it to slow starting up, you get a hop instead of an up b. Its really annoying. Thats at least what I feel is going on.

For me jamming it to the top of the analog and pressing b asap does the trick. It has to be before the game registers it as a jump.

Last edited:

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Have you tried releasing shield for a frame and then trying to perform the up+B cancel right afterwards? I feel that is how I do it OoS and the timing seems smooth. In other words, you shouldn't be holding shield down while simultaneously performing the up+B inputs. Even while defending against opponents like Fox/Falco with frame perfect shield pressure such as multi-shines, when I up+B OoS it usually will clink with their attack, like a parry.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I think that naturally starts happening after so many failed attempts just takes time. I've started to actually be able to up+cancel naturally against people. Sometimes I can get the oos. It just takes a huge grind to get there. These techs take as much drilling as waveshining really.

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
I don't get when people say this.

I recently have heard a commentator say the same things in VoDs while watching a Doc match with PTJon. That OoS he struggles with the tech but can do it consistently otherwise.

It's the same exact thing but you just happen to be holding a shoulder button while doing it. Maybe tell us how you differ in your controls when doing it? If you're trying to let go of shield maybe that extra motion is what is killing you timing (it's not necessary).

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
This might not be the right place to say this, but I can't up-B cancel at all. Is there any kind of "trick" to help me pull it off, regardless of OoS or not?

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
This might not be the right place to say this, but I can't up-B cancel at all. Is there any kind of "trick" to help me pull it off, regardless of OoS or not?
When it actually hits you seems to have more time equal to the amount of hitstun caused by the first hitbox. The cancel window also appears to be right after that first hit, so it's very possible to cancel too early if you beat the hitbox ( something that I did when first starting out and took a while to realize.) Using 1/2 or 1/4 time in training makes this obvious.

Inputs:
I'm able to do it 4 ways, #1 I find the easiest and #4 I find the most inconsistent -

1. Up-B angle backwards then quickly flick the analog stick in a direct line to the opposite side where you Up-B'ed (I usually do ~40 deg up-back then ~45 degrees down forward)

2. Up-B the direction you are facing then flick the analog stick in a direct line to the opposite side from where you Up-B. Basically the vice versa of the above.

3. Up -B at an angle in front, then quickly rotate the analog stick in the opposite direction you are facing until you reach down. So if facing left, after front Up- B quickly rotate clockwise until you reach between 3 to 6 o'clock.

4. Vice versa of 3 also works.

The key is to have the analog stick cross the threshold from front to "back" during the cancel window which is supposedly 1 frame (feels more lenient than that on hit). So the analog stick being registered in the opposite direction of where the Up-B initialized seems to trigger the cancel and allows the early landing.

I'd say it's one of the easier techs don't over-think it, and make sure your analog stick on your controller isn't the problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom