• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is thread dead?

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Look, i'm no YL expert here, i'm just starting out with him after being pretty goddamn terrible with ICS. I Like Young Link's movement and projectile game among some of his sword attacks too.

Is there anyone who wishes to talk/teach about YL in the meta and possibly being a main? I look around, and we don't seem to be as chatty as say, Ganondorf boards.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Im a young link main. I can tell you a few things about the shiek MU that a lot of people may not know.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
I dont have a setup so i cant find the exact %'s but when you grab sheik you want to dthrow her at 0%. Then there is a % range where upthrow will give you followups(preferably upairs). At higher %s where upthrow wont get followups your dthrow will give you followups. At high % i usually dthrow nair her off and edgeguard but if shes high enough or you think shes going to DI up you can dair/upair. If you guys could find the % ranges thatd be great.

Moreover, when sheik dthrows you at around 20-30%(it could be other %s too im not really sure) you can escape. Im not sure where the DI for this is but i think i usually DI away. You should be able to jump out but this is generally a disadvantageous position. Instead, spam A as you get close to the floor. What happens here is an aerial interrupt, which is when your nair animation starts but you land within the autocancel windows putting you into normal landing lag(4 frames). At this point you should be buffering spot dodge. Pretty sure shiek can land a dash attack but i dont think that will give her any guaranteed followups. If you know shes going to wait for you to spot dodge start using mixups like buffer roll. When i get 20XX ill look more into it but I doubt sheik can actually get a guaranteed grab even if shes frame perfect. I got the whole idea from playing mewtwo and using DJC aerial interrupts instead of wavelands.

Also people need to CC against sheik more here's some data i posted before on the mewtwo boards, mewtwo and yink are the same weight.
Shiek's tilts are very good combo starters since they have medium base KB and low KB growth. However, this also means you can CC these moves until relatively high %s since Mewtwo is a middleweight. CC can lead into dtilt or grabs. If you get caught in your shield by tilts you can shield DI in to grab, if not your best option is to buffer roll. If you get caught, ASDI away by using the c-stick in conjunction with regular DI. Below are the max CC %s for each unstaled tilt.
Ftilt: 84%
dtilt: 108%
Uptilt: -both hits: 89%
-second hit only: 129%
CC dtilt gives you free ass followups or even a kill setup. Either way you can knock her offstage and then edgeguard her over and over again.

Speaking of which I noticed something wizzy does against sheiks. When sheiks up b onto stage wizzy reacts to the first part(the jump before the poof) by refreshing invincibility. Timing it like this makes it so that you can hold on to ledge until she reappears without the fear of being hit off. Now if sheik is low % the optimal tactic is refresh your invincibility with a bomb pull ledge regrab. Punish in whatever way you want after that. I believe someone on the yink boards said something about ledgeattack-> bombthrow -> aerial. Idk be creative.

Sheik is very easy to combo so improve your punish game instead of camping the whole match. Even if you dont 0 to death her your goal should at least be getting a combo that leaves her offstage off of that one bomb hit confirm. Edgeguarding is the most important thing in this MU.

Edit: I also posted something on that dthrow tech chasing fastfallers thread you should all check it out.

Last edited:

Ryu Wolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
RyantheWolf
3DS FC
3239-5574-1795
I main Yl, right now I'm working towards making a guide to playing him so as long as it's in my notes you can ask about any question.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
If anyone cares to see this is a a part of a stream match where i dominate a falco for a little and then buster it up https://youtu.be/JZZoa6KsYV0?t=27m7s. I really need to work on my fundamentals and my punish game lacks not to mention i suck at bomb hit confirms. I also blow at tech chases situations as you can see when i miss the easiest jab reset. Tbh i just have a decent neutral.

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
In neutral against sheik, you can actually space her out very nicely using nair only. The trick is that you cannot attack towards her, that will give her a free CC or grab. But if she tries to approach you with either a dash attack or grab, a lingering nair will stuff her approach. This is actually something that is very useful as Fox against sheik, and so it has made its way into my YL game. The positioning is pretty precise, so its hard to explain in words.

Also, that ledgeattack -> bomb -> dair is my combo!!!! I've only done it once or twice but it is really godly. You can also do ledgeattack -> dair, but it is more of an option coverage than a true combo.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Fair and bair are my go to moves in neutral, at least against sheik. I like to mix up AC bair and SHFFL bair too. I also forgot to mention that grabbing in neutral isnt a bad option in this MU so long as you mix it up well. Sheik's dashdance and WD are really small so as long as she doesnt have too much stage control it shouldnt be hard landing a grab. Also shielding her dsmash gives you a free grab punish. Her SH is huge and she lacks the aerial mobility to avoid projectiles or Yinks disjointed moves. She can DJ to avoid attacks but that puts her in danger of upair juggles. I honestly think that this MU isnt that bad for Yink. Axe makes do with pikachu and Yink has better options in neutral, better followups, and better edgeguarding tools.

Usually I strike FD and dreamland against sheik. Dair is my usual edgeguarding/kill tool so i like low ceilings but i also like to have platforms for movement options. I like PS best in the MU followed by yoshis. You can argue that it helps sheik get kills easier off of dthrow-> upair but its much easier and more likely for you to hit bomb-> dair.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Don't we have a young link Skype group? Wouldn't it be best to have active feedback and discussion there?

Top Bottom