• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is this place dead?

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
just wondering, because id like to improve my link, and i want to find people to talk to, to see what improvements can be done.. but anyway, if you want chek out my link this is my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFEc_xC9DNgimOS-WWW3JHQ

ill take anyone as a friend in here. so hit me up for whatever, but like i said, is this place dead?
No, it's just that we aren't always going to be active on the forums considering our character and that we don't always have the time. We do actually use this Board, just not at the levels of let's say Ganondorf.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Oh cool, another Netplay Link player :) . I check on here everyday at least once, it's just discussion is pretty low here. While I'd like to contribute more, I feel as though I need to improve more before I'm even in a position to offer advice.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Kinda weird Link isn't a very popular low tier character anymore.
It's mainly due to how he is not intuitive and also how his gameplay is not really movement based in comparison to other characters in a fast-paced game (he does still use movement, but he's one of the slower characters). It's also just the rise of the mid tiers in comparison to low tiers (both are still lower down than the high and top tiers, but people usually end up switching to a mid tier at least after maining a low tier) similar to how a player like Eikelman used to use Bowser so much but then switched to mainly Ganondorf. It also sucks when Young Link is outright better in certain matchups that people don't see Link as worth it. These tendencies aren't bad and can't be blamed for, but it still sucks especially when an iconic Nintendo protagonist has never been better than mid tier.

Although, this really just depends on your definition of low tier. If low tier means not high tier in general, no, Link is not used often. If it means not mid tier, Link is one of the more used characters in this area (considering how he's either borderline mid tier or one of the best low tiers), but that's not the most impressive statistic since the characters below are characters like Roy, Zelda, Kirby, etc.

It shouldn't be too surprising (especially to us Falcon mains/players) that he is an unpopular choice now. This is an era where Dthrow to Up B can easily be avoided and where people have learned how to edgeguard Link. We can still be stylish and improve on the use of projectiles and platforms though.

melito

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Melito37
first, sorry for late reply, i actually thought i wouldnt get replys.lol but yea, i am glad there are people here who care about my boy Link :) i agree with what ya'll saying. one way i feel sometimes is that link is not actually mid tire, you just have to be on top of your game all the time if you play against good players, you have to be poised all the time. then you can focus on improving mindgames and execution. i rarely train in training mode, i just like going straight to online matches, i find it that i learned alot about what i can do there. but yea. i think i play much better with link than i play sheik. its just sometimes when there is a match up you dont know much about its tough... like jigglypuff, once he hit me with that uptilt i am done... so right now my main focus is to improve that match up. the rest just takes the best of your skills to win. i still got stuff to learn, like alot of people in here. but yea, i am happy to see people respond to my post thanks, if anyone want to play, just let me know. i go to smashladder.com when i got free time, i go as "TegoFuego" if you want to look for me and challange.

SAUS

Smash Ace
first, sorry for late reply, i actually thought i wouldnt get replys.lol but yea, i am glad there are people here who care about my boy Link :) i agree with what ya'll saying. one way i feel sometimes is that link is not actually mid tire, you just have to be on top of your game all the time if you play against good players, you have to be poised all the time. then you can focus on improving mindgames and execution. i rarely train in training mode, i just like going straight to online matches, i find it that i learned alot about what i can do there. but yea. i think i play much better with link than i play sheik. its just sometimes when there is a match up you dont know much about its tough... like jigglypuff, once he hit me with that uptilt i am done... so right now my main focus is to improve that match up. the rest just takes the best of your skills to win. i still got stuff to learn, like alot of people in here. but yea, i am happy to see people respond to my post thanks, if anyone want to play, just let me know. i go to smashladder.com when i got free time, i go as "TegoFuego" if you want to look for me and challange.
On that note, let's talk about jigglypuff. The characters I lost to at TBH5 were jigglypuff and ICs. I think I know what went wrong against the ICs, so I'll leave that for another time.

The things I look to do against jigglypuff are:
- Crouch cancel (honestly, this should be used in all matchups - also this is usually the answer to that up-tilt getting you)
- Abuse vertical mobility
- Abuse projectiles
- Don't grab or up-b unless it is guaranteed (usually if they f-smashed your shield or something)
- Be patient (basically the case in all matchups, just it is easier to be impatient against a character like jigglypuff / you have to be more patient)

My issues are:
- What stages to counterpick
- What to do when jigglypuff is at 120+ damage

Stages:
Yoshi's - I believe it is the best stage. Easier time killing, recovery is strong on the stage, platforms help with vertical mobility.
Fountain - Might be second best stage, but it's probably not terrible favoured either way. I like that it has good walls for tether recoveries and the platforms allow for vertical mobility abuse as well.
Battlefield - I think it is not a bad stage, but the weakened tether recoveries can hurt at times. It makes you really vulnerable to edge guards. Otherwise, it is a good stage for the matchup.
FD - I tend to dislike this stage, but it actually might be good in the matchup - despite the lack of platforms. I think you can starve puff's jumps better on this stage and it makes your projectiles really annoying for puff.
Dreamland - ban 100% of the time. By the time your moves will kill, you can't combo into them off of bombs any more.
Stadium - I thought it was good, but I find myself not landing up-ward kill moves as often as I would like. I don't think I will counterpick here any more - preferring yoshi's or fountain (maybe FD in the future if it proves to be good - I need to test that out).

What does everyone else think of the stages against puff?

On the second point, I don't know what to do when puff is a decent chunk over 100 damage. You can't guarantee bomb -> anything any more because puff flies too high. You basically have no combo to kill them (unless you get a grab which is just not something you can rely on in this matchup). I know you can often kill puff before this happens, but what about when it happens? I usually end up just racking up damage with projectiles until they're at around 150% and then try to land a raw, strong-hit nair. It just leaves me vulnerable for a long time where I can't combo anything and must land this nair.

Also does anyone know what to do off of a missed rest? I usually just do a strong-hit dair for the 22 damage. Maybe I should grab -> d-throw -> up-air or something. I think that might do like 1 or 2 more damage lol, but it also might leave me in a better spot.

SAUS

Smash Ace
To punish missed rest, I usually do a charged f-smash spaced so that only the second hit connects.
Does that do more than 22 damage? I keep meaning to test it, but forget lol.

Kinda popped into my head just a little while ago, but maybe the meteor hitbox on d-tilt can have some use. I'd bet that it is % specific, though. Something I'll need to test.

Puphmaster

Smash Rookie
On that note, let's talk about jigglypuff. The characters I lost to at TBH5 were jigglypuff and ICs. I think I know what went wrong against the ICs, so I'll leave that for another time.

- Crouch cancel (honestly, this should be used in all matchups - also this is usually the answer to that up-tilt getting you)
- Abuse projectiles
- Don't grab or up-b unless it is guaranteed (usually if they f-smashed your shield or something)
- Be patient (basically the case in all matchups, just it is easier to be impatient against a character like jigglypuff / you have to be more patient)

My issues are:

Stages:
Yoshi's - I believe it is the best stage. Easier time killing, recovery is strong on the stage, platforms help with vertical mobility.
Fountain - Might be second best stage, but it's probably not terrible favoured either way. I like that it has good walls for tether recoveries and the platforms allow for vertical mobility abuse as well.
Battlefield - I think it is not a bad stage, but the weakened tether recoveries can hurt at times. It makes you really vulnerable to edge guards. Otherwise, it is a good stage for the matchup.
FD - I tend to dislike this stage, but it actually might be good in the matchup - despite the lack of platforms. I think you can starve puff's jumps better on this stage and it makes your projectiles really annoying for puff.
Dreamland - ban 100% of the time. By the time your moves will kill, you can't combo into them off of bombs any more.
Stadium - I thought it was good, but I find myself not landing up-ward kill moves as often as I would like. I don't think I will counterpick here any more - preferring yoshi's or fountain (maybe FD in the future if it proves to be good - I need to test that out).

On the second point, I don't know what to do when puff is a decent chunk over 100 damage. You can't guarantee bomb -> anything any more because puff flies too high. You basically have no combo to kill them (unless you get a grab which is just not something you can rely on in this matchup). I know you can often kill puff before this happens, but what about when it happens? I usually end up just racking up damage with projectiles until they're at around 150% and then try to land a raw, strong-hit nair. It just leaves me vulnerable for a long time where I can't combo anything and must land this nair.

Also does anyone know what to do off of a missed rest? I usually just do a strong-hit dair for the 22 damage. Maybe I should grab -> d-throw -> up-air or something. I think that might do like 1 or 2 more damage lol, but it also might leave me in a better spot.
As a puff main I have quite a bit of trouble with this matchup the amount of projectiles coming at me is too many and I a sword beats a foot 90%of the time. Once a puff gets above 100% Im horrified of uptilt and upsmash they hit a lot and although i can rest punish the upsmash sometimes puffs will get to impatient and just jump in to early the biggest thing in this matchup is the mind games and trying to find out when each character will go in and once you go in you have to commit if you dont you still get punished anyways. As a puff i ban Yoshis 99%of the time the other 1% is FD because of lack of platforms but puff dies so fast that yoshis is the worst for her. If you need more help on the matchup ill talk about rest punishes in my next comment.

SAUS

Smash Ace
If you charge it enough, I wouldn't be surprised if it hit for 25%. The knockback is incredible too.
It would be interesting to know which of dair and second hit f-smash is the stronger kill move. For my case, though, I am mostly concerned about %s where you will not be able to kill jigglypuff. I find 22 damage dair is not terrible, but it also doesn't really make puff scared of missing rests that much (compared to, say, marth fully charged tipper / neutral b, fox lasers, etc). It gets particularly rough if the jigglypuff goes for a lot of risky rest setups but doesn't really feel the recoil from the punish they get from missing.

As a puff main I have quite a bit of trouble with this matchup the amount of projectiles coming at me is too many and I a sword beats a foot 90%of the time. Once a puff gets above 100% Im horrified of uptilt and upsmash they hit a lot and although i can rest punish the upsmash sometimes puffs will get to impatient and just jump in to early the biggest thing in this matchup is the mind games and trying to find out when each character will go in and once you go in you have to commit if you dont you still get punished anyways. As a puff i ban Yoshis 99%of the time the other 1% is FD because of lack of platforms but puff dies so fast that yoshis is the worst for her. If you need more help on the matchup ill talk about rest punishes in my next comment.
I'm not too concerned with rest itself, I just find that jigglypuff can go for risky setups more often and it doesn't really matter since the punishes might not even matter. 22 damage is quite a bit, but potentially killing me at the risk of just 22 damage is a little bit lopsided. I feel like I can't make puff scared to go for rest setups unless they are last stock and at damage where dair will just kill them (which, to be fair, is at a pretty low amount of damage, but I mean Fox's up-smash does it better anyway).

The sword is disjointed and can basically always win against limb hitboxes if the limb hitboxes don't reach some part of Link, but have you seen the range on puff's bair? It comes out faster and has more range than Link's fair. If I'm in position to hit the bair, but not get hit by the bair, I will not hit puff if they don't bair.

I find up-smash tends to be quite safe. There is actually very little time between the end hit of it and the point where you can interrupt the animation.

I think, actually, one problem I have is that I can't really pressure puff's shield too well. Maybe I do need to go for more grabs there, I'm not sure. It really is death if I miss, though. I find that that is my problem against ICs as well. I can't throw out grabs too much because it is not even hard to guarantee a kill if I miss, so shielding almost always makes them safe or at least is not as bad at it is in other matchups.

Puphmaster

Smash Rookie
It would be interesting to know which of dair and second hit f-smash is the stronger kill move. For my case, though, I am mostly concerned about %s where you will not be able to kill jigglypuff. I find 22 damage dair is not terrible, but it also doesn't really make puff scared of missing rests that much (compared to, say, marth fully charged tipper / neutral b, fox lasers, etc). It gets particularly rough if the jigglypuff goes for a lot of risky rest setups but doesn't really feel the recoil from the punish they get from missing.

I'm not too concerned with rest itself, I just find that jigglypuff can go for risky setups more often and it doesn't really matter since the punishes might not even matter. 22 damage is quite a bit, but potentially killing me at the risk of just 22 damage is a little bit lopsided. I feel like I can't make puff scared to go for rest setups unless they are last stock and at damage where dair will just kill them (which, to be fair, is at a pretty low amount of damage, but I mean Fox's up-smash does it better anyway).

The sword is disjointed and can basically always win against limb hitboxes if the limb hitboxes don't reach some part of Link, but have you seen the range on puff's bair? It comes out faster and has more range than Link's fair. If I'm in position to hit the bair, but not get hit by the bair, I will not hit puff if they don't bair.

I find up-smash tends to be quite safe. There is actually very little time between the end hit of it and the point where you can interrupt the animation.

I think, actually, one problem I have is that I can't really pressure puff's shield too well. Maybe I do need to go for more grabs there, I'm not sure. It really is death if I miss, though. I find that that is my problem against ICs as well. I can't throw out grabs too much because it is not even hard to guarantee a kill if I miss, so shielding almost always makes them safe or at least is not as bad at it is in other matchups.
If you need lots of help with the puff MU try watching Armada's Young Link Vs Hbox those are the best videos I could find. Even though it's not Link young link is pretty close and they should have the same shield pressure options.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Link is very different than Young Link. His wavedash and jump out of shield are slower; and Link's full jump / double jump are lower. This means that escaping from Puff corner pressure is much harder.

Bigglestheman

Smash Apprentice
I will say this place is 200% more positive than when I first joined up.

Everyone used to just complain about how bad Link was and there was no hope.

1MachGO

Smash Ace

For reference: Fox's upsmash kills Puff at 55% on FD with no DI while hitting at an 80 degree angle. Not sure if he could kill a little earlier but I know he can't at 50%. Using the knockback calculator, that is 193.24 knockback units.

2nd hit fsmash hits for 18% at the tip and 20% at the base. Hits at a 65 degree angle. From what i could tell, charging only affects the 1st hit. This means the second hit will be, at most, 20.

Dair does 22% and has the same knockback angle. However, they have different knockback growth and base knockback properties. At 55%, 2nd hit fsmash will do 192.375 knockback units and Dair will do 193.76. Nearly identical. 2nd hit fsmash starts to do more knockback starting in the 60%+ range but its pretty negligible until ~85-100%

Of course, the maker or breaker is DI which can change trajectory by 17 degrees, iirc. Optimal TDI against dair and 2nd hit fsmash would lower the angle from 65 to 48, but the reverse would be 65 to 82. So against poor DI, Puff is dead like the Fox example, but any other situation she is living.

Lowest % Possible (~55%):

So what I am thinking is you could maybe exploit the Puff's lack of Link's hitbox knowledge. You could stand just outside of 1st hit fsmash range and start charging. The Puff player will prepare for the fsmash and start DI'ing in. You whiff 1st hit, Puff is surprised and doesn't readjust, gets hit by the second hit and killed off the top.

Of course, that may be a one time gimmick, and the handful of puff mains who either visit this thread or understand Link's hitboxes will know about it. Unfortunately, its hard to determine

Another, and arguably your best low percent option is to create a 50/50 using dair. Short hop or full hop directly above Puff and orient yourself to be aligned with the center of her. Double jump right before you touch the ground. With low height and easy to influence double jump momentum, you can ambiguously move forward or back at the last minute and dair. If I am not being clear, you are basically forcing the Puff to guess if you are going to reverse or normal hit dair. If she guessed wrong, she dies, if she guessed right, she lived, but at least she has 22 more percent. If she had know idea what the **** you were doing and didn't DI at all, she'll live. No DI will kill in 60-65% range.

Lowest Guaranteed % Possible (~71-73%):

Link's fully charged dsmash has gotten over looked this discussion. It does 21% fully charged at the hilt and has an angle of 75 degrees; much better than dair or 2nd hit fsmash. Kills with no DI at ~65% and is guaranteed to kill at low 70s against optimal DI.

TL;DR:

Use DI mix ups with Dair between 55% and 70%. Fully charged hilt hit of dsmash kills after that. Dair is still your best option if you don't have a lot of time.

Like other characters, Link could probably abuse shield vs. Puff since her grab isn't super threatening at a distance and she often commits to the air. PPU does a lot of shielding and fair OoS with Marth and while Link doesn't quite have the same speed or coverage with his fair, he does have good air movement and disjoint so it might be worth experimenting with. Wavedash jab and dash attack might also be good at dealing with fade aways.

As for dealing with shield, have you tried using jabs or spaced pivot jabs to apply pressure? SHFFL fair is also safe and might not necessarily be hard to set up vs. ICs after you've disrupted them with projectiles.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
It would be interesting to know which of dair and second hit f-smash is the stronger kill move. For my case, though, I am mostly concerned about %s where you will not be able to kill jigglypuff.
I guess here's some use for the excel function that calculates vertical kill heights I just created today. :b:

Dair kill% off the top on puff on perfect DI from main stage(not platform):

YS: 73%
FD: 78%
BF: 82%
DL:94%

Dair on slightly bad di (I use 70 as launch angle here, this can vary a lot)

YS: 53%
BF: 61%
DL: 72%

Fsmash 2nd hit (non charged):

YS: 72%
FD: 76%
DL: 90%

Fully charged dsmash:

YS: hilt 59%, body and blade 65%
BF: hilt 66%, body and blade 72%
DL: hilt 75%, body and blade 82%

Verdict: seems like when dsmash doesn't kill or you don't have time to charge it, the best bet is to try to create DI mixup with dair like 1 1MachGO suggested. I think you should aim to be right on top of jigglypuff when you hit her, so that it's hard for even yourself to tell which way she gets launched. You should be able to create 50/50 situation or something close to that. Also note that I didn't take into account the possibility of killing puff of the side. If you're close to a blastzone, dair might sometimes kill earlier than even fully a charged dsmash.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Wow this is some sick research. Thanks guys. I'll keep this in mind for my next match against the local puff player.

I still have to test d-tilt meteor hit box, but I'll report back with findings.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
This info will all be very useful to me as well. There's a really good Link in my area who knows the Puff Link MU very well, so I'll have to start taking notes.

garotis

Smash Cadet
Apologies if this has been mentioned in a different thread at some point, but what about using boomerang to cancel the momentum of the first hit of Fsmash, thus enabling the first and second hit of Fsmash to connect? Is this escapable through DI at mid percents or something?

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Apologies if this has been mentioned in a different thread at some point, but what about using boomerang to cancel the momentum of the first hit of Fsmash, thus enabling the first and second hit of Fsmash to connect? Is this escapable through DI at mid percents or something?
I have heard of this before, but I worry that it is easy to mess up (and mess with since there are multiple instances to DI and SDI) and it can even be dangerous (might be able to ASDI down and land from the boomerang hit and then shield your second hit f-smash which means you get punished).

I should probably try it out in friendlies more though.

This is a good trick to know, but to me its more about situation awareness than setting it up. so if you got a returning rang, fsmash is a good option, especially as you can use the returning rang to stop any OoS option from their side if the fsmash hits their shield instead of them.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
If only link was faster vertically... You could throw bomb upwards, charge dsmash -> have the bomb interrupt rest of the dsmash, cc the bomb -> dair or uair. Turns out Link can't chase puff after the dsmash even if he has virtually no lag after.

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice

- Abuse projectiles

My issues are:

Stages:

I haven't been on here in a while, so I missed my chance to comment on this post when the discussion was fresh, but I'll offer my 2 cents on the Puff matchup.

Stages: I almost always CP to Yoshi's and Stadium because of the early KO power. In a Bo3, I virtually always see Yoshi's banned because most people in my region see it as Link's best stage (and I do too, honestly), so I've gotten a lot of games in against Jigglypuff on Stadium. Increased vertical KO power is nice, and I like having a lot of room to run around the stage, which I don't get on Yoshi's or FoD. I also usually ban Dreamland, though I don't think it's too terrible in the matchup (Link's camp game against Puff there is dramatically improved). It's more that banning Dreamland usually makes Puff players counterpick to FoD, which I agree is a decent stage for Link here. My least favorite stage in the matchup is FD because it feels difficult to break out of Puff's stage control once she corners you.

The key to my success in this matchup recently has been pure patience. I sit on my side of the stage, read jumps with boomerang, and try to catch landings with bombs. If Puff ever gives up center stage, I move in and try to exert whatever stage pressure as I can, but it doesn't really seem too effective in the face of that amazing back air range. Full hop nair is dangerous unless you absolutely know that Puff isn't going to try to challenge you with a bair, and it seems relatively easy for her to just bully Link back to the edge of the stage.

When Puff is a 120+ percent, the only real KO moves I try to land are forward airs, which will do the trick on most smaller stages. However I also don't really worry about landing the KO here anymore. I'll more than accept just chipping at her with projectiles until strong nair will KO, and even then I don't think it's wise to fish for it. The other thing I'll try to do is throw out a full hop nair in place when I'm just out of her bair's max range: if she goes for the bait, I'll double jump dair or fair towards her, and she almost never has time to get away. Of course, you could always just try to apply pressure with the clock to force Puff into making an unsafe approach or mis-spacing an aerial on your shield. I've never timed out a Puff player, but I've purposefully run the clock down with a lead to get her to come at me.

Last thing, I really like the boomerang -> fsmash rest punish when Puff misses a rest at low percents. Smash throw it one direction, jump behind her, charge the thing, then let it rip when the boomerang gets close. It's probably SDI-able, but I just think it's cool. If she's at 60-ish percent and there's no chance of her teching a platform, I'll just grab -> 1 pummel -> d-throw -> dair.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Does that do more than 22 damage? I keep meaning to test it, but forget lol.

Kinda popped into my head just a little while ago, but maybe the meteor hitbox on d-tilt can have some use. I'd bet that it is % specific, though. Something I'll need to test.
Wouldn't it be possible to do boomerang (to get the hitbox of when it comes back) > charge fsmash, then use the first hit of fsmash, let the boomerang hit them and immediately do the 2nd hit of fsmash?

It'd take a bit of training to get the timing down but I bet that's the best rest punish :3

Or toss bomb upwards, charge fsmash, first hit, and then 2nd hit just as the bomb hits.

Wouldn't it be possible to do boomerang (to get the hitbox of when it comes back) > charge fsmash, then use the first hit of fsmash, let the boomerang hit them and immediately do the 2nd hit of fsmash?

It'd take a bit of training to get the timing down but I bet that's the best rest punish :3

Or toss bomb upwards, charge fsmash, first hit, and then 2nd hit just as the bomb hits.
The one with the rang is totally possible.

Avoin

Smash Cadet
I tested! it does 33% damage, and I believe would kill super early, as I did it on DK at 60% and he almost reached the bubble.
Interesting stuff, definitely something i'll add in eventually. Not too often i play against a good puff but probably worth picking up regardless.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Interesting stuff, definitely something i'll add in eventually. Not too often i play against a good puff but probably worth picking up regardless.
It's also probably our best punish off of being rested as well, if we DI to die asap, we can respawn, come down with a rang that sweeps over her head, and charge fsmash.

Thor

Smash Champion

- Abuse projectiles

My issues are:

Stages:

We're like opposite on stages lol.

The thing I need most against nearly every Jigglypuff I've played against is space. To that end, I usually strike to Dreamland, Battlefield, or FD.

Here's my stage-by-stage breakdown:

Yoshi's- it severely limits your ability to run around and platform camp her, but she dies SUPER early and it's the best stage for recovering on.
FoD - I ban this every time. She dies later on here than any stage except for Dreamland and you don't have much room to move around, not to mention the platforms ditching you sometimes. I could experiment more but I usually don't screw with this stage.
Dreamland - Take me here you floating eyeballs, I dare you! Or more accurately, I'll dair you... bombs still combo into uair [I thought?], but I think dthrow dair works at death percents. It's hard to grab or spin attack a smart puff, but it can happen, and you have a ton of space to work and the ability to vertically camp her here better than anywhere else. Moving up and down on this stage is very important, and if you're not willing to do that, ban this stage over FoD.
Battlefield: Weakened tether hurts, but the stage offers consistent platforms, decent space, and not-too-big blastzones. I like this stage as well.
Pokémon: Usually my counterpick due to a lot of area to work and a low ceiling, but the lack of a top platform to run around on hurts somewhat. Still overall solid.
FD: This stage is really weird, because you can't go vertically at all, but if Puff is air camping you, it's marginally easier to get her when she is landing. I think it's workable but if you can shield drop nair/uair as a consistent punish on her aerials on shield, it might be best to avoid this stage [since then your shield is worse here].

As for bomb combos, I THOUGHT aerial bomb -> double jump uair worked [it avoids the jumpsquat issue] but I'm not saying it does, and after that it really is sticky.

I'm pretty sure our optimal rest punish that doesn't involve phantom hits is either metoer smash dtilt -> dair [test this, but the meteor hit has amazing stun and very low KB, so that she can't CC it but she isn't popped up too high], or else pull bomb -> throw boomerang behind her -> jump over her and throw bomb upwards -> fsmash1 -> boomerang stops her movement and bomb adds damage -> fsmash2. You can also do it without bomb or without boomerang, because doing this is not easy [and I haven't nailed down even just using boomerang, never mind boomerang and bomb]. If this whole thing connects, it's a LOT of percent though [I'd estimate around 40%].

Incidentally, the second hit of fsmash is independent of charge - go to training and test it if you don't believe me, but it always does 18% [or at least the tip does... I think there's a sweetspot that does 20%]. It doesn't seem to do extra KB either [killed Fox at the right edge of Yoshi's (in teetering animtation) at 69% but not 68%, fully charged or uncharged, in training mode].

EDIT: Reread thread, most of it is redundant... but do you have anything on meteor dtilt to dair? My memory card is missing ;_; so I don't have access to Jigglypuff right now.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
We're like opposite on stages lol.

The thing I need most against nearly every Jigglypuff I've played against is space. To that end, I usually strike to Dreamland, Battlefield, or FD.

Here's my stage-by-stage breakdown:

Yoshi's- it severely limits your ability to run around and platform camp her, but she dies SUPER early and it's the best stage for recovering on.
FoD - I ban this every time. She dies later on here than any stage except for Dreamland and you don't have much room to move around, not to mention the platforms ditching you sometimes. I could experiment more but I usually don't screw with this stage.
Dreamland - Take me here you floating eyeballs, I dare you! Or more accurately, I'll dair you... bombs still combo into uair [I thought?], but I think dthrow dair works at death percents. It's hard to grab or spin attack a smart puff, but it can happen, and you have a ton of space to work and the ability to vertically camp her here better than anywhere else. Moving up and down on this stage is very important, and if you're not willing to do that, ban this stage over FoD.
Battlefield: Weakened tether hurts, but the stage offers consistent platforms, decent space, and not-too-big blastzones. I like this stage as well.
Pokémon: Usually my counterpick due to a lot of area to work and a low ceiling, but the lack of a top platform to run around on hurts somewhat. Still overall solid.
FD: This stage is really weird, because you can't go vertically at all, but if Puff is air camping you, it's marginally easier to get her when she is landing. I think it's workable but if you can shield drop nair/uair as a consistent punish on her aerials on shield, it might be best to avoid this stage [since then your shield is worse here].

As for bomb combos, I THOUGHT aerial bomb -> double jump uair worked [it avoids the jumpsquat issue] but I'm not saying it does, and after that it really is sticky.

I'm pretty sure our optimal rest punish that doesn't involve phantom hits is either metoer smash dtilt -> dair [test this, but the meteor hit has amazing stun and very low KB, so that she can't CC it but she isn't popped up too high], or else pull bomb -> throw boomerang behind her -> jump over her and throw bomb upwards -> fsmash1 -> boomerang stops her movement and bomb adds damage -> fsmash2. You can also do it without bomb or without boomerang, because doing this is not easy [and I haven't nailed down even just using boomerang, never mind boomerang and bomb]. If this whole thing connects, it's a LOT of percent though [I'd estimate around 40%].

Incidentally, the second hit of fsmash is independent of charge - go to training and test it if you don't believe me, but it always does 18% [or at least the tip does... I think there's a sweetspot that does 20%]. It doesn't seem to do extra KB either [killed Fox at the right edge of Yoshi's (in teetering animtation) at 69% but not 68%, fully charged or uncharged, in training mode].

EDIT: Reread thread, most of it is redundant... but do you have anything on meteor dtilt to dair? My memory card is missing ;_; so I don't have access to Jigglypuff right now.
I'll test dtilt dair tomorrow, tho actually boomerang to fsmash is pretty easy cuz you can react to the boomerang coming back and release fsmash, the timing is actually self-made almost, to work, since if you are in front of her, jump and boomerang, then wait a spit second and start charging, you can get the timing =D

I gotta test to see how early is kills... X3

Avoin

Smash Cadet
I'll test dtilt dair tomorrow, tho actually boomerang to fsmash is pretty easy cuz you can react to the boomerang coming back and release fsmash, the timing is actually self-made almost, to work, since if you are in front of her, jump and boomerang, then wait a spit second and start charging, you can get the timing =D

I gotta test to see how early is kills... X3

set up is rather easy for the rest punish. only took me a few minutes to get it pretty consistent.

i've gotten as high as 35% with it, and yeah kills rather early sometimes.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Puff crouch beats both grab and up-b (grab misses and up-b first swing misses so you get semi-spike which probably won't kill - she may be able to shield after and then rest punish). You can only do these if it is like a tech chase, some kind of combo (not really applicable for grab), or if they do like an f-smash on your shield.

d-tilt seems to not be guaranteed. I had perhapsman check it out for me and he showed me the % where ASDI down won't make puff hit the ground immediately (potentially teching) and with proper DI. Puff goes SOOOOO far away. I am pretty sure you can't follow it up if the puff knows how to DI it. It is also at like 60 or something. I don't remember the exact number, but you may as well go for the dair di mixup.

Bomb -> aerial seems to rely heavily on puff DI - even when you jump before you throw the bomb. Maybe at certain sweetspots in damage it can be reacted to, but it is only for a small window. I think that window might not even exist on dreamland.

I'd like some knowledge about bomb trajectory (the hit trajectory, not throwing trajectory) if anyone's got any. I don't know if it ever has different trajectories from hitting differently. It seems to just be straight up, but I don't know for sure.

In any case, I am more comfortable in the matchup. I still have to try out the boomerang + f-smash thing (though I still feel like it can have a lot of stupid little problems that ultimately leave it inconsistent at best). Bombs don't need to have completely guaranteed followups to still be good. You can sometimes react and punish and other times it still sucks for them to have to come down through projectiles and your sword.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Puff crouch beats both grab and up-b (grab misses and up-b first swing misses so you get semi-spike which probably won't kill - she may be able to shield after and then rest punish). You can only do these if it is like a tech chase, some kind of combo (not really applicable for grab), or if they do like an f-smash on your shield.

d-tilt seems to not be guaranteed. I had perhapsman check it out for me and he showed me the % where ASDI down won't make puff hit the ground immediately (potentially teching) and with proper DI. Puff goes SOOOOO far away. I am pretty sure you can't follow it up if the puff knows how to DI it. It is also at like 60 or something. I don't remember the exact number, but you may as well go for the dair di mixup.

Bomb -> aerial seems to rely heavily on puff DI - even when you jump before you throw the bomb. Maybe at certain sweetspots in damage it can be reacted to, but it is only for a small window. I think that window might not even exist on dreamland.

I'd like some knowledge about bomb trajectory (the hit trajectory, not throwing trajectory) if anyone's got any. I don't know if it ever has different trajectories from hitting differently. It seems to just be straight up, but I don't know for sure.

In any case, I am more comfortable in the matchup. I still have to try out the boomerang + f-smash thing (though I still feel like it can have a lot of stupid little problems that ultimately leave it inconsistent at best). Bombs don't need to have completely guaranteed followups to still be good. You can sometimes react and punish and other times it still sucks for them to have to come down through projectiles and your sword.
What little problems do you think there can be with boomerang > fsmash? :o

I can check those out later, cuz so far it seems pretty flawless xD

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
What little problems do you think there can be with boomerang > fsmash? :o

I can check those out later, cuz so far it seems pretty flawless xD
I'm thinking ASDI down might mess it up at certain percents and depending on how much charging you get to do - possible even just hold down at 0 and it results in a rest punish if you f-smash them (have to test though). ASDI down on the boomerang might make puff land before the second f-smash hit gets in (resulting in shield -> rest). SDI in general could make it miss, but you'd get the first hit f-smash at least. Though I think it would be less than 22 damage.

Generally mistiming it could cost you a stock as well, but that's less of a problem since it is more in your control for that.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'm thinking ASDI down might mess it up at certain percents and depending on how much charging you get to do - possible even just hold down at 0 and it results in a rest punish if you f-smash them (have to test though). ASDI down on the boomerang might make puff land before the second f-smash hit gets in (resulting in shield -> rest). SDI in general could make it miss, but you'd get the first hit f-smash at least. Though I think it would be less than 22 damage.

Generally mistiming it could cost you a stock as well, but that's less of a problem since it is more in your control for that.
I tried smash DIng the boomerang, but its hard for puff to do so, because it has low kb...however, at 0% she will indeed be able to crouch cancel the upsmash, so as not to be hit, but it stops working fairly quickly.

4Serial

Smash Lord
At lower percents i usually try to throw a boomerang behind me, jump over Puff and try to space a charged F-Smash so that the boomerang will pull Puff into the second hit. The timing is really tricky but it looks cool and seems fairly optimal and might have potential to kill before a dair can

Throwing a bomb up slightly behind Jiggs > Strong hit boomerang her into the bomb > uair or something sounds JUICY afff. The end of the day it really depends on Jiggs' ability to DI and sdi and Link can get really creative on missed rest punishes but they're all so telegraphed

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion

Dtilt... seems to not be guaranteed? Do you mean dtilt dair off a missed rest? And what does this have to do with hitting the ground? Unless someone wants to inform me otherwise, I thought that SDIing a move from the ground to being in the air was not possible in Melee...

Off the correct DI, would dtilt fair still be possible? If so, at dtilt fair would surely do more than 22%, suggesting that dtilt fair might be an extremely useful punish, because it does a lot of damage AND provides Link some measure of stage control [likely enough space to safely pull a bomb]. I don't know if it would reach though.

Top Bottom