• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this new? Footstool lock combo

Pixel_

Smash Ace
hm I've been trying to get that forever but it always feels too slow.
Does it work if they DI behind you? I'd think that Dair is too slow

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
This is the first I've seen of this. Is there a way you can test this with a human opponent and see if they can escape? I couldn't tell whether or not Marth had time to free himself between the Utilt and the footstool.

kynlem

Smash Cadet
NNID
NaturDonut
Yeah I can probably test this with another person, stay tuned. As for DI behind, you would have to start moving back with them immediately after the footstool, so this is more of a 50/50, since you might have to guess the DI. I will do more testing and let you know.

Also, this took me a straight hour of just up tilt, footstool, repeat until I got it to lock. The timing is very strict, though I am sure it can be done consistently with enough practice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think Pixel_ Pixel_ 's comment on DI was referring to DI on the Utilt, not movement after the footstool. I think if they DI behind us on the Utilt they'll go too far away to connect with.

If it's after the footstool, I'd imagine you can usually just start by going backwards then drifting forwards if they go forwards. Fair reaches forwards, after all.

kynlem

Smash Cadet
NNID
NaturDonut
I think Pixel_ Pixel_ 's comment on DI was referring to DI on the Utilt, not movement after the footstool. I think if they DI behind us on the Utilt they'll go too far away to connect with.

If it's after the footstool, I'd imagine you can usually just start by going backwards then drifting forwards if they go forwards. Fair reaches forwards, after all.
Ah, my bad. I will test more on this today.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I meant the footstool DI, and if they go too far behind you, I'm not sure if Fair will still connect.
Also if you're going to test it more, I recommend the back hitbox of Utilt. It might allow for less DI than normal Utilt, but I'll have to check to make sure.
I'm probably going to test this out too when I can, footstool combos are fun.

EDIT: I take that back, this is really hard to pull off

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It always bothered me that people say DI when referring to being footstooled. It's not like you're under knockback, you have total control of your lateral movement. But that's just a me problem.

EDIT: I take that back, this is really hard to pull off
Back hitbox Utilt or the whole thing?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Back hitbox Utilt or the whole thing?
The whole combo. After footstooling the opponent, Yoshi goes really high in the air (pretty sure I'm not doing a full hop footstool btw, it looks the same as the video), and his fall speed doesn't help with landing the Fair for the lock.
From the video I can see that you're supposed to fastfall after the footstool, but it's hard to time. You have to wait a bit to fastfall, and by that time it feels like you've already taken too long.

From my testing the back hitbox of Utilt seems to bring the opponent into a more consistent position, so it should make the combo easier rather than harder.

Pretty sure the combo is worth learning, since it should do more damage than the standard Uair stuff if you chain it multiple times, or if you lock them and then do Utilt > Uair stuff.
I might test if it's escapable but it's hard enough to do the combo lol

EDIT: Tested if it's escapable by getting Marth to Up B after the Utilt. Turns out that it is escapable, BUT if you do it with the back of Utilt, then it's NOT escapable.
Still can't get the combo though, that's the next goal I guess.

Last edited:

kynlem

Smash Cadet
NNID
NaturDonut
The whole combo. After footstooling the opponent, Yoshi goes really high in the air (pretty sure I'm not doing a full hop footstool btw, it looks the same as the video), and his fall speed doesn't help with landing the Fair for the lock.
From the video I can see that you're supposed to fastfall after the footstool, but it's hard to time. You have to wait a bit to fastfall, and by that time it feels like you've already taken too long.

From my testing the back hitbox of Utilt seems to bring the opponent into a more consistent position, so it should make the combo easier rather than harder.

Pretty sure the combo is worth learning, since it should do more damage than the standard Uair stuff if you chain it multiple times, or if you lock them and then do Utilt > Uair stuff.
I might test if it's escapable but it's hard enough to do the combo lol

EDIT: Tested if it's escapable by getting Marth to Up B after the Utilt. Turns out that it is escapable, BUT if you do it with the back of Utilt, then it's NOT escapable.
Still can't get the combo though, that's the next goal I guess.
Glad to hear that this is improving! I will try with the back hit of up tilt, see if that makes it easier. Honestly I haven't been able to get this down consistently, but I am making progress. I think you can chain two together if you are good enough at the combo, but that would be really hard. Guess that's my next goal.

Top Bottom