• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this intentional; no booster reset from some ledge options.

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
Hello people, I play on version 3.0, so apologies if this has already been fixed.

If R.O.B. is hit during the vulnerable frames of his get up attack from the ledge (a), edge roll (R/L), or get up (control stick forwards), he will not regain his booster charges if previously lost. He will only retain the one charge he received from having grabbed the ledge.

Is this working as designed, or is this unintentional? I'd figure I would ask since it seems like R.O.B. is supposed to regain boosters when grounded, and these three situations are ones in which R.O.B. is pretty clearly grounded, yet does not receive the boosters.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It's intentional, ROB is supposed to have really, really blatant flaws in most aspects of his game, unlike most of the good characters.

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
Are you sure that it is intentional? Jcaesar has regularly fixed errors where boosters were not returned upon touching the ground, and these seems to be clear cut cases of that. Have you heard him say, whether on stream or through message that in this particular instance, it is working as designed that he does not get the jumps returned?

Or are you just extrapolating from Jcaesar saying Rob was intentionally designed to have certain weaknesses?

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I've kinda wondered the same thing. While I trust that Drinkingfood is correct, I'd like to know for sure that it was @ JCaesar JCaesar 's intent.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
JCz designed it that way so you don't get free boosters back at the edge just by pressing the R button to roll, or w/e. I'm like 90% sure it was on purpose.
But who knows for sure, ROB in PM has been abandoned even by his own creator.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It was intentional. And I still exist, I'm just on a bit of a hiatus. But ROB is getting some polishes for the next version.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Are any of those tweaks to his jabs? I just want fair jab mixups to be better and the ability to do some cool jab resets.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Sure would be nice if dsmash, his best and only real notable defensive option, didn't have a solution as simple as "DI up and punish ROB". Every time I hit a dsmash I feel like it only worked because they don't know the matchup.

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Shh... what if someone reads that and finally figures out that they can get out of my dsmashes? The only reason I win against decent players with R.O.B is that they don't know stuff like this. Please don't kill my dream :(

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
they will learn to di it eventually. better sooner than later. better time to prepare. im drunk

Dandizzle

Smash Journeyman
Well saying it was the only reason I win was a bit much, but it would really suck if people started DIing it. Is there anything I can do to hit them before they hit me if they DI out? Does it at least create a 50/50 so that I can read their choice and punish it?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Not if they know they can punish it.
There might be a few exception of certain fall speed characters that also lack quick aerials so by the time you finish they are in empty landing lag (4 frames). I'll look into the frame data a little more but from last time I checked I remember feeling awful about how easy it was to escape and punish the move.
I find that lots of people don't know anything about the move so they just shield on reaction to DIing out of the multihits, and if their shield is small enough the second dsmash (what I usually throw out) will poke them. And if it doesn't, most people don't realize the move is -17 on shield so that even from behind almost any character can punish it OoS.

Last edited:

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
hopefully rob's tech speed/distance will be made better. really sucks when i fight a wario who can side b my techs on reaction or a fox who can up-smash my techs on reaction. Also maybe something to cover his blind spot would be nice and a slightly bigger shield, o and not complete trash rolls, maybe some more horizontal kill power.

Top Bottom