• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this an AT/New?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I think anytime after a dash, including the beginning, if you jump then immediately use reflector it works earlier than running then down b.

Like it works as soon as you start a dash, almost looks like a slide.

I do it by running, press y(CC PRO DEFAULT) then b almost the same time with my thumb.

Sorry if of no use, thanks.

Also, no camera to record so I guess test it.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Well...
What you're referring to is jump canceled shines (Inputs: jump>immediately shine).
As the name implies, you're canceling a jump you've inputted with a shine (it you hold the shine and look closely, it'll seem as if Fox has two reflectors around him. It's easy to notice if you compare it to a normal shine)

As for using it after a dash...
There are two phases to running. There's the initial foxtrot, and then the actual dash animation. (to see the initial foxtrot, just flick the control stick and Fox will do a short dash. If you hold it, he'll enter his dash animation.)

During the foxtrot (which is once again, the very beginning of a dash), Up+B and Down+B cannot be used (this is for all characters, not just Fox). That means that if you use the normal method to shine, it's impossible to do it during the foxtrot.
However, during foxtrots, you can jump. And because you can jump, you can cancel it into a shine. So with jump-canceled shines, you can do them during the foxtrot.

As for the using shine during the actual dash animation (which comes after the foxtrot phase), either method could be used.
With the normal method, it just needs a bit of timing, but it's easy to master. If you don't shine immediately when you plan to stop running, you may enter the skidding animation for your run (whenever a character stops running normally, they enter a skid animation to stop themselves). During the skidding animation, you cannot shine unless you do a jump canceled shine (since the skidding animation can be canceled with a jump).
With the jump canceled method, it's more trickier to use consistently, but it allows for more error I guess.

Sorry for the wall of confusing text >.>
In other words
  • during the foxtrot (initial part of dash) only jump-canceled shines can be used. You can't compare speed here since the normal method doesn't even work
  • during the actual dash animation (after foxtrot) either could be used. They are the same speed though.
I personally always do jump-canceled shine. But I simply do it out of habit, rather than for it being beneficial (although in a few cases it is). Most foxes use the normal method now-a-days.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Well...
What you're referring to is jump canceled shines (Inputs: jump>immediately shine).
As the name implies, you're canceling a jump you've inputted with a shine (it you hold the shine and look closely, it'll seem as if Fox has two reflectors around him. It's easy to notice if you compare it to a normal shine)

As for using it after a dash...
There are two phases to running. There's the initial foxtrot, and then the actual dash animation. (to see the initial foxtrot, just flick the control stick and Fox will do a short dash. If you hold it, he'll enter his dash animation.)

During the foxtrot (which is once again, the very beginning of a dash), Up+B and Down+B cannot be used (this is for all characters, not just Fox). That means that if you use the normal method to shine, it's impossible to do it during the foxtrot.
However, during foxtrots, you can jump. And because you can jump, you can cancel it into a shine. So with jump-canceled shines, you can do them during the foxtrot.

As for the using shine during the actual dash animation (which comes after the foxtrot phase), either method could be used.
With the normal method, it just needs a bit of timing, but it's easy to master. If you don't shine immediately when you plan to stop running, you may enter the skidding animation for your run (whenever a character stops running normally, they enter a skid animation to stop themselves). During the skidding animation, you cannot shine unless you do a jump canceled shine (since the skidding animation can be canceled with a jump).
With the jump canceled method, it's more trickier to use consistently, but it allows for more error I guess.

Sorry for the wall of confusing text >.>
In other words
  • during the foxtrot (initial part of dash) only jump-canceled shines can be used. You can't compare speed here since the normal method doesn't even work
  • during the actual dash animation (after foxtrot) either could be used. They are the same speed though.
I personally always do jump-canceled shine. But I simply do it out of habit, rather than for it being beneficial (although in a few cases it is). Most foxes use the normal method now-a-days.
Ok, tyvm.

I guess I was referring to jump-canceled fox-trotting, just put it up because I am late to competitive play.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
Ive been playing around with this a lot lately and it seems like it can almost link together, is it possible if you follow an opponent fast enough to link this across the stage?

TKD

Smash Lord
You can't cancel a jump with downb.
Again: YOU CAN'T CANCEL A JUMP WITH DOWNB.

Standing shine frame data:
1 invincible
2 invincible
3 invincible+hitbox

Jump+shine frame data:
1 vulnerable
2 vulnerable
3 vulnerable
4 vulnerable
5 vulnerable
6 invincible
7 invincible
8 invincible+hitbox

...Yeah it's useless.

@ W.C.N W.C.N : A dash attack can combo out of it but the timing is rough, depends on percentage/DI and the dash should be buffered. Dash usmash depends on these conditions as well but it's very unreliable because the timing is much more strict (usmash is 4 frames slower and may have less range, not sure).

Last edited:

RPK

Smash Lord
It makes sense because jumping has start up. Its very small, but its still there.

@ TKD TKD The upsmash definitely has less range than the dash attack, but it can be remedied by just charging it for a few moments in order to gain a little bit more distance with it since during the charge youre still sliding forward.

Last edited:

TKD

Smash Lord
Usmash is already slower. By charging it you're making it even slower. I kinda get it though; just not sure for how long after starting the charge is Fox's sliding speed still comparable to his dash.

Also I don't know if usmash's start-up is any faster out of charge. The frame data thread was so lazy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom