• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this a Competitive Style of Play (Question)

FireThePyro

Smash Rookie
On my way home I was thinking about 12 stock Ironman battles. I thought it was neat but it turns out it wasn't how I was expecting it to be. So I was wondering if this style of play has a name. If not, I'll call it Bulk Battle.

Bulk Battles can be either single or double elimination, varying slightly in how it is executed depending on which one it is.
The amount of stocks and time varies on play. Basically, multiply the standard amount of stocks and time you would have per regular, double elimination match (let's say 2 and 5) and multiply it by the maximum amount of matches it takes to completely fall out of the bracket (Let's say 6) So 2 x 6 = 12 is your stocks, and 5 x 6 = 30 min is your time. Maybe we can fix it so that it takes 2/3 that time, but it can be argued.

In Double Elimination Bulk Battle, just half the stocks and time, so in this case it would be 6 and 15. And of course, it takes 2 battles to fully be eliminated.

Bulk Battles can be either single or double elimination, varying slightly in how it is executed depending on which one it is.
Single Elimination Ruleset:
One battle is played. This means that a match is technically one fight.
One loss, you're out.
Default stocks are 12 and default time is 25 minutes.
Both players must choose their characters by saying them simultaneously to each other. This makes it difficult to counterpick.
Both players strike 1 stage before playing. Order can be decided, or it can be discussed.

Double Elimination Ruleset:
One battle is played per match.
Two Losses and you're out. Losing one sends you into the losers bracket.
Default stocks are 6 and default time is 15 minutes per match.
Both players must choose their characters by saying them simultaneously to each other. This makes it difficult to counterpick. Different characters cannot be chosen across matches. This means that if you picked Toon Link in R1 and lost, in all subsequent matches you must play Toon Link.
Both players strike 1 stage before playing. Order can be decided, or it can be discussed.

Tell me if this or something like it already has a name or if anything seems goddamn ridiculous.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of both people choosing a character at the same time.
That would be fun to see a series of "lightning matches" between two strong players. I think it should go sort of like this:

One match is played whoever wins gets a point, difference is you MUST choose a different character each time. You can't pick Fox, Shiek, G&W, and then go Fox again.
1 stock
2-3 min (that may need to be changed)
First to 3 or 5 wins the set.
Stage selection can switch between each player, all legal stages are free game, no strikes. There can be a rock paper scissors game to choose who picks the stage first.
If an illegal stage is chosen, the other player must agree to play on that stage.

"Lightning Character Crew Battle"

Top Bottom