• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this a bad habit to have in the game?

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I've been struggling with approaching opponents. I keep making the same mistake of approaching from the air and jabbing, only to be grabbed or smashed, because I keep hoping they'll drop their guard to attack. The reason I think this is going to happen is because I keep doing it myself; I can't predict when people are going to attack or what they'll attack with, so I lash out with an attack to try and counter them. If that's not the right way to approach people, how should I go about it?

(Side note: Once I do catch out someone I know enough tricks to do plenty of damage to them; it's catching them in the first place, that's the problem-!

Semopo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-6533-6002
Fake an attack
Look how they react
Adapt to that

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Poke their shield from safe distance.
Do not jump into their faces, get behind them.
Use projectiles.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Try jab canceling into a grab, jab twice and before the 3rd jab comes out you grab instead, some players love to wait for you to finish the jab before they counter attack and this is a great set up for mario, falcon, and fox.

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Try to watch for when your opponent attacks, charging them or attacking from above while they have their guard up would give them a chance to attack, since YOU'RE the one who's open for the attack, you dig? Try to foresee their movements, dodge them if you can, find a way around them, and attack when they're distracted.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Maybe he has fun learning how to play the game on a competitive level? Ever tought of that?
Bingo! I've always enjoyed casual Smash since Melee, but never paid attention to the competitive side until now when I want to learn enough to join it. So being constantly beaten by those who already know it off by heart - and who won't be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong - doesn't really help. ^^;

Last edited:

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
Mix up dash attacks with dash grabs and watch the mind games begin as you run at someone.

You can also dash and shield as soon as you get to the dude and opponents usually respond with an attack or shield, not a grab.

Other posters have made great points, jump behind people not in front, and don't hesitate to "miss" an attack on purpose to simply get them off of their defensive post.

Top Bottom