• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there anyway to recover old replays?

Imaginesafety

Smash Rookie
I remember Smash 3ds made us lose our replays, but I did not expect this one to do so. I have great memories and some disrespect I do not want to see go. Including meeting pksparkxx in for glory (http://m.imgur.com/h4UIlJq it's legit he tweeted about me when I send a "message" through name tags). Is their a way to send to PC or do I have to let it go? I can make some new memories, but some of these are irreplaceable. Bright side is now I'll have room for replays I suppose if I can't ever watch them again.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
The Replays get deleted because they run in the game engine. If I won a match as Greninja in 1.0.5, record it and he was nerfed in 1.0.6, the match will be different at 1.0.6. They are also unable to run in a computer.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
The Replays get deleted because they run in the game engine. If I won a match as Greninja in 1.0.5, record it and he was nerfed in 1.0.6, the match will be different at 1.0.6. They are also unable to run in a computer.
Yeah, this. There is no way to run old replays on the new engine. So sadly, they're gone forever.

Maybe this would be better off in the Q/A thread, though? Mods?

SheepHair

Smash Rookie
I went into settings and into game data, and found that you can delete the update data for Smash. I'm not sure what would happen if you deleted it though. Maybe it'd set it back to the previous update, but I don't know for sure.

Zazabar

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zazabar
I went into settings and into game data, and found that you can delete the update data for Smash. I'm not sure what would happen if you deleted it though. Maybe it'd set it back to the previous update, but I don't know for sure.
IS ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH TO TRY?

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
It would probably revert to the original smash wii u version... :/ Replay still wouldnt work xD

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
the game will not let you play until you redownload the update unforunately...tried it lol

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
The replays are not video files until converted to Youtube, what they are instead is a series of codes based off of recognized inputs. Basically, it's like giving actors (the characters played in the specific match in this case) a script based off of you and your opponents performance. The game loads the characters that were played, and they read and react exactly to the code/inputs or "script" given to them. This is probably done to save space, as 1080p 60fps videos take up quite a lot of room, and the Wii U doesn't have much space built into it.
Anyway, when the script/code changes, the replays are obsolete because the script cannot be performed or recognized, because it was altered and/or no longer exists.
For example, getting a kill with Diddy pre-nerf via upair would happen much earlier than now, which would crash the replays if the new script/code were injected into older replays, since the scaling of knockback Diddy had no longer exists. The upair wouldn't kill, and the replay would be altered mid-match, leaving your actor with a different script, changing the perfotmance completely.

Sorry if this sounds confusing--I tried to make sense of it all!

Edit: Grammar fixes!

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
The replays are not video files until converted to Youtube, what they are instead is a series of codes based off of recognized inputs. Basically, it's like giving actors (the characters played in the specific match in this case) a script based off of you and your opponents performance. The game loads the characters that were played, and they read and react exactly to the code/inputs or "script" given to them. This is probably done to save space, as 1080p 60fps videos take up quite a lot of room, and the Wii U doesn't have much space built into it.
Anyway, when the script/code changes, the replays are obsolete because the script cannot be performed or recognized, because it was altered and/or no longer exists.
For example, getting a kill with Diddy pre-nerf via upair would happen much earlier than now, which would crash the replays if the new script/code were injected into older replays, since the scaling of knockback Diddy had no longer exists. The upair wouldn't kill, and the replay would be altered mid-match, leaving your actor with a different script, changing the perfotmance completely.

Sorry if this sounds confusing--I tried to make sense of it all!

Edit: Grammar fixes!
Perfect description of what happens. I'll add one other thing - All random elements are saved into this script. This is most apparent in matches involving Mr. Game&Watch's Judgement and Peach's Turnips.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Before the 2nd most recent patch I pointed a camera at the screen at the right time to minimize glare and recorded them so they could run on the PC...

The fact that upload to youtube wasn't standard to save memories is ridiculous...

Did that get added with this patch finally?

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Before the 2nd most recent patch I pointed a camera at the screen at the right time to minimize glare and recorded them so they could run on the PC...

The fact that upload to youtube wasn't standard to save memories is ridiculous...

Did that get added with this patch finally?
Yes. Any replays from this patch and whatever is current can be converted to video files via youtube/miiverse. NOW we can make our replays eternal. Of course, our old replays are still s.o.l.

sammie2203

Smash Rookie
its depressing, i was shulk and i 2 stocked the enemy shulk to show him who's boss i got so excited and i spammed a out of the results screen i hit y before it faded out but it was too late :/

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
It's possible to delete your update data in order to view your replays that way, but I'm pretty sure the game will nag you to update later..

If you had hacks, you can just downgrade the version to whatever in order to view your replays again. But process is pretty tedious.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Next time is good to remember to save the replays and upload the good ones to some plataform, like Youtube if the game provides integration, to not suffer this again.

Top Bottom