• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any potential for platform fighters beyond the "knockback-based" type?

Quillion

Smash Hero
As we all know, most platform fighters nowadays are knockback-based, taking inspiration from Smash while moving it in new directions.

But could there be other ways to score wins in a platform fighter? I know Smash has an optional Stamina mode, but I do remember playing the Digimon Rumble games, which were health-based platform fighters. There are even some even more unconventional platform fighters like Nidhogg, where you die in one hit and continuously respawn after some time. But it seems that the knockback-based platform fighter is dominating all other potential sub-subgenres. No doubt developers will find new ways to take the platform fighter genre to the mainstream, but I'd like to know what and when that can happen.

That said, I hope the "super-based" platform fighter as attempted to be pioneered by PlayStation All-Stars stays stillborn.

Top Bottom