• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there an effective use for Wolf's uair?

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
It's one of Wolf's moves with less priority, and well, let's face it, it's really not doing much aside from air-juggling.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
LIES. Uair is great IMO, but there really aren't many opportunities to use it...

Platform drop uair (seen in some of lucien's vids) is nice, and SHFF uair can true combo into both utilt and usmash (I tested, varies with %). Ledgehopped uair is also decent.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Arc, I really don't understand what it is about uair that would make it a bad move... Can you be slightly more specific?

The only thing that really bothers me about this move is how wolf's head sticks up in the middle and people can shieldgrab you through platforms if you aren't careful...

teekay

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't have particularly good range or priority, doesn't do tons of damage, and there's rarely a scenario in which to use it. Just not a particularly good move. BUT it is not useless, short hopped ones can lead to nice setups if you get the chance to use it. Bair has a lot more range, but in cases where at relatively low or medium % you can hit with a shorthopped uair instead, it's better to do so because you can then usually follow up with another hit, and even if you don't get the hit you can safely do bairs or fairs so you won't get punished for it.

I rarely actually pull it off but it's nice in cases where I see it can happen.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
umm u-air is awesome. It trades hits with MK's down air which says something about it's priority. You guys need to learn to time it better. that's all

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
I guess it's really just hard to find a proper time to use it.

On a related note, they should change it with him poking his blaster upwards and firing it! >:D

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
U-air is really good. I cant believe you guys are saying its bad. I mean its a pretty good move and can juggle the opponent.
Assuming your opponent doesn't have a Dair. And as for all the combos it can pull off... good luck getting it off >_> FF Uair is really hard to hit without getting hit yourself first. The hitbox was not designed for approaching grounded opponents...

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
He mentioned specifically FF Uairs, which are used against grounded opponents and can true combo some characters into other moves. Of course, most opponents would hit you once you're inside of their character model before you get off the FF Uair if he's grounded, so it's kind of a null point.

Uair can be used for juggling opponents with bad or laggy Dairs. It's pretty fast, as is Wolf's vertical air speed, so you can really mess with someone in the air if their timing isn't spot-on. It's also good for attacking platforms above you. Other than that...Fair or Bair are usually safer bets.

JCav

Smash Lord
ookami kun- havent seen you in a while

but up air cant juggle, you cant juggle. or at least ive never done it.

the best way to use this move is taking advantage of wolfs air mobility and by that i mean a scenario such as u air on a platform and like go horizontally, its pretty safe

overall, not a great move

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Anyone else think that uair's hitbox seems kind of inaccurate to the animation?

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
umm u-air is awesome. It trades hits with MK's down air which says something about it's priority. You guys need to learn to time it better. that's all
That says nothing about Uair's priority actually. MK's Dair (and the rest of his moveset save Tornado, Drill Rush, Glide Attack, and Dash Attack) has no priority at all. It never clanks; it either goes through the opponents attack and stops it, or trades hits. If Wolf's Uair is close enough when MK does his Dair, then they'll trade hits.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
That says nothing about Uair's priority actually. MK's Dair (and the rest of his moveset save Tornado, Drill Rush, Glide Attack, and Dash Attack) has no priority at all. It never clanks; it either goes through the opponents attack and stops it, or trades hits. If Wolf's Uair is close enough when MK does his Dair, then they'll trade hits.
And since MK's dair has more range than Wolf's uair, it's actually the exact opposite of what castorpollux said: the MKs he's trading hits with are the ones not timing properly.

castorpollux

Smash Champion

Umm you do realize only ground attacks stops attacks when they have equal priority. Aerials, if they have equal priority, trade hits

Top Bottom