• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a way to add character slots to the roster?

Nintendoboy77

Smash Rookie
I really don't want to replace anybody. I've searched for something that'll let you do this for a while now but I can't find anything specific. Is it even possible right now?

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
The Clone Engine is like the Duke Nukem Forever of the Brawl hacking community, except that Duke Nukem Forever actually came out, so maybe it's like Megaman Legends 3

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
The Clone Engine is like the Duke Nukem Forever of the Brawl hacking community, except that Duke Nukem Forever actually came out, so maybe it's like Megaman Legends 3
Duke Nukem forever was also rubbish. Implying that the clone engine will be rubbish?

Nah I say it's more like the Half Life 3 of Brawl hacking.

Nintendoboy77

Smash Rookie
So wait a minute. How do people have Pokemon Trainer split up, and have Sheik and Zero Suit Samus on their rosters? Wouldn't you be able to for example put an extra Sonic in the roster and then just put a Shadow over the extra or would it affect both of Sonic's slots?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
No, you could not and yes it would effect all of sonic's pacs because there is only one.

You can replace Giga Bowser and Wario Man I guess, but then Wario and Bowser would transform into like, Geno and Mewtwo for their final smashes :V

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
So wait a minute. How do people have Pokemon Trainer split up, and have Sheik and Zero Suit Samus on their rosters? Wouldn't you be able to for example put an extra Sonic in the roster and then just put a Shadow over the extra or would it affect both of Sonic's slots?
Because they aren't replacing any characters by splitting them up. It's easy to make new entries on the character select screen, but it's very difficult to add new actual character slots.

JetAurion

Smash Journeyman
^That.
You're free to make as many slots as you want (though I think the limit was 50?), but getting the new slots to actually load custom characters is the hard part.

Video

Smash Rookie
It's really not possible because you really can't add anything to Brawl, just work with what's already there. Even the STGCUSTOM stage packs make use of custom stage slots that are already there. Because of this, only Alloys, Wario Man, and Giga Bowser (assuming you play without Final Smashes) can be used to "add" slots to the roster.
There will never be a way to actually make additions to SSBB.
Prove me wrong.

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
I'd hate to be a necromancer, but here's something that makes me think twice about this issue:

Roy, and Mewtwo. In Project M.

How is it possible that *they* can have their own distinct slots in Project M?

DrDean

Smash Rookie
Project M 3.0, which added Roy/Ike/Mewtwo, just came out. This thread is from last year. Advances have been made, but I believe PM uses the Clone Engine which was mentioned above.

Darknut

Smash Cadet
Is there a way to add character COLOUR options/skins to the Character slot on the CSS as needed?
Eg I want to add a texture to a character without replacing one of their pre-installed (on Project M) colours. I would need to add a new colour slot that would be used for the new texture. How would I go about doing that?

It's really not possible because you really can't add anything to Brawl, just work with what's already there. Even the STGCUSTOM stage packs make use of custom stage slots that are already there. Because of this, only Alloys, Wario Man, and Giga Bowser (assuming you play without Final Smashes) can be used to "add" slots to the roster.
There will never be a way to actually make additions to SSBB.
Prove me wrong.
5 years later. Do you still uphold that statement? Can you still only clone characters in Brawl? 'Cos I haven't made any progress in modding the game yet, and I can't get Project M so I have only Brawl to work with.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
5 years later. Do you still uphold that statement? Can you still only clone characters in Brawl? 'Cos I haven't made any progress in modding the game yet, and I can't get Project M so I have only Brawl to work with.
How are you playing Brawl? On a Wii? Because you can get project m (or even a couple of other hacks that add a lot more characters, albeit unbalanced) running hackless as long as you have a 2gb sd card (No greater. When smash brawl came out this was as big as the Wii could take. It got patched for 4gb, but smash never did). And no user created stages saved on your console, the hackless packs use a hack called smash stack to load by exploiting a glitch when the game tries to read stages.

Though it also seems like you want to make your own custom packs... I cannot really help you much with those beyond directing you where to download some files to add once you know how to add them.

Project EX is the hack that allows you to add PSA's (character files) without having to clone. There are online tutorials for how it works but I've never done it.

Good luck modding, have fun! If you make your own pack/characters and are accepting hellacious requests from a total stranger, I have many.

How are you playing Brawl? On a Wii? Because you can get project m (or even a couple of other hacks that add a lot more characters, albeit unbalanced) running hackless as long as you have a 2gb sd card (No greater. When smash brawl came out this was as big as the Wii could take. It got patched for 4gb, but smash never did). And no user created stages saved on your console, the hackless packs use a hack called smash stack to load by exploiting a glitch when the game tries to read stages.

Though it also seems like you want to make your own custom packs... I cannot really help you much with those beyond directing you where to download some files to add once you know how to add them.

Project EX is the hack that allows you to add PSA's (character files) without having to clone. There are online tutorials for how it works but I've never done it.

Good luck modding, have fun! If you make your own pack/characters and are accepting hellacious requests from a total stranger, I have many.
I'm using a Wii for pretty much everything, including CTGPR (which is irrelevant to this, but I wanted to mention it anyway). But all the SD cards available at retailers in my area don't allow Project M to work, Hackless or with PM Launcher. Whenever I use PM Launcher, my Wii always hard resets, and loading the Stage Builder foes nothing when I use hackles.

I do want to make a custom pack, but since I can't install PM, I only want to mod Brawl itself, which hardly anyone has done (not the actual data loaded from the disk, but mod activated from the SD Card or something). I've downloaded a few character PAC's, motion files and PCS's already, so I know where to find them.

Project EX? Never heard of it. But I'll try it out. I mean I have the BrawlEx Clone Engine tool, but I haven't really used it that much and don't know how it works.

Thanks for the help, Fred.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm using a Wii for pretty much everything, including CTGPR (which is irrelevant to this, but I wanted to mention it anyway). But all the SD cards available at retailers in my area don't allow Project M to work, Hackless or with PM Launcher. Whenever I use PM Launcher, my Wii always hard resets, and loading the Stage Builder foes nothing when I use hackles.

I do want to make a custom pack, but since I can't install PM, I only want to mod Brawl itself, which hardly anyone has done (not the actual data loaded from the disk, but mod activated from the SD Card or something). I've downloaded a few character PAC's, motion files and PCS's already, so I know where to find them.

Project EX? Never heard of it. But I'll try it out. I mean I have the BrawlEx Clone Engine tool, but I haven't really used it that much and don't know how it works.

Thanks for the help, Fred.
Brawlex! That's the one!

Project Ex was just some pack that mixed project m with it. And tried to edit characters to be optimized for project m. Had a fun Ridley.

I'd be honest if you have the spare SD card I'd download pikezer or nebulon's packs to see how a full set of brawlex looks with all the files.

Also if you can find a copy of sword Gannon or triforce Gannon that hack is fun.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll keep trying to use it. In fact, I might use the Project Ex pack data and try to mess around with it to see if I will actually be able to get the mods up and running.

Also, Ridley as a fighter would be awesome!
Thanks again, bro

Bob

Banned via Warnings
If you want to add characters, use BrawlEX.

Top Bottom