• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a way I could play the Wii U version without having to purchase a Wii U?

SCare

Smash Rookie
I only have the 3ds version right now, and since everyone seems to use Wii U at tournaments, I figured that's what I should be using too.

I guess what I'm asking is what happens if I go to a tournament with experience with 3ds only.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
You can link your 3DS to the wii u to play that way if you want.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I only have the 3ds version right now, and since everyone seems to use Wii U at tournaments, I figured that's what I should be using too.

I guess what I'm asking is what happens if I go to a tournament with experience with 3ds only.
You might be OK, but there are some potential issues you could run into:
1. Controller. Tournaments may or may not allow the 3DS as a controller, so if they don't, you would have to find or buy a new controller and adjust your muscle memory to play with said controller.
2. Stage familiarity. Of the legal stages, Smashville, Town & City, and Lylat Cruise are Wii U-exclusive and you would thus not be familiar with the quirks of each. (I think even Battlefield and Final Destination might have different collisions and blastzones between the 2 versions, but I'm not positive.)
There are probably more, but those are the biggest that come to mind. Hope I could help.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
No. Save up your money. If you're serious about smash you need to actually own a setup so you can practice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom