• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a preffered control method for Villy?

BlazikenGod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBlazikenGod
3DS FC
4270-2333-8179
Hi, I'm currently using the Pro Controller with ZL and L for Jump, Y for Grab and R and ZR for Shield. I'm wondering is this a good control scheme? and if not, what is the recommended control scheme for Pro Controller & GCN controller? (For anyone else who uses GCN controller)

[SKS]Jarp

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5472-7479-6841
I just use L for jump and c stick to attack.Everything else default. I find sh aerials easier that way. I kind of want to try tap jump for double sticking,though.
(gc)

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
I use GC controller with Z for jump and L for shield so it's easier to do OOS options. As long as you have a shoulder button for jump and c-stick to attack, you can pretty much do everything perfectly I believe.

Choi1357

Smash Rookie
I have my right index finger on the X button to jump and I have the c-stick set to tilts so I can use all of my aerials while inputing any direction. I've got tap jump on for double sticking

Kevin Fetters

Smash Rookie
Just use whatever feels best for you, I like having Grab be on my gamecubes Y button, but I know plenty of people don't like that, I guess you could try mapping Villager's tilts to your C-stick if you feel you use those more, however if you like jumping with ZR then ZR away.

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
I'm pretty weird. I use the Pro Controller with Y set to shield, both Ls set to grab, and both Rs set to jump (for easier low slingshots with the right control stick). Anything else doesn't fit right for me. I tried using the GC controller but I'm absolute trash with it. I didn't play Melee so maybe it's that.

D

Deleted member

:GCU: Tap Jump On
:GCA: Attack :yeahboi:
:GCB: Specials :yeahboi:

:GCCN: Tilts
:GCY: /:GCZ: Grabs
:GCX: /:GCLT:Jumps
:GCRT: Shield

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
everything normal but tap jump off. i jump with X and shield with R.
(i have a custom control scheme but it's for other character)

sp1r1t

Smash Rookie
i'd like to use the L button for jumps but i can't short hop with that....
On the other hand, i use the X button for jumps but i can't use the slingshot as fast as i would like to...

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
For me, tap jump off and R set to jump. This is because I don't use R for anything else so L could be used for the same purpose, it makes it easier to jump while cutting the tree, with or without a wavebounce, I set it first to make Luigi's downthrow down b easier but I ended up finding it useful for Villager.

Using c-stick set to attack/tilts seems good to me but I don't want to commit to it since I really do find the c-stick to be convenient for smash attacks, and for doing pivot fsmash's. Without the c-stick those are best done using a + b set to smash attack but I find it incredibly awkward to press those buttons together.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
The only setting I changed is :GCCN: to tilts. Tilt stick is just more optimal, especially for nairs. Villager's nair is the best in the game, and not losing momentum when using them is very useful.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
The only setting I changed is :GCCN: to tilts. Tilt stick is just more optimal, especially for nairs. Villager's nair is the best in the game, and not losing momentum when using them is very useful.
I wouldn't say it's completely necessary or essential personally, since players have been doing moving nairs on the GC controller since Melee (Fox for example) and it just feels natural after so long. Maybe the c-stick can make it easier to do the nair instantly out of movement though, but in that case the nair is basically coming out exactly where you started. I considered using c-stick for tilts too at one point but I just can't handle losing c-stick for smash attacks, being able to walk up to people and downtilt or PP to downtilt sounds like one of the most useful things about it.

BlazikenGod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBlazikenGod
3DS FC
4270-2333-8179
Suppose i should update this with my new control scheme.
I now use Gamecube Controller because of the ridges on the sticks making be more accurate with slingshots, L jump to make Short Hop Fairs and Bairs easier, Tap Jump off to make Utilt easier to do (Though ive been considering using Tilt Stick for a while now) R Shield because it feels natural, and X Grab so i can use the grab button faster than normal.
Rest is normal.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say it's completely necessary or essential personally, since players have been doing moving nairs on the GC controller since Melee (Fox for example) and it just feels natural after so long. Maybe the c-stick can make it easier to do the nair instantly out of movement though, but in that case the nair is basically coming out exactly where you started. I considered using c-stick for tilts too at one point but I just can't handle losing c-stick for smash attacks, being able to walk up to people and downtilt or PP to downtilt sounds like one of the most useful things about it.
First, no aerial momentum loss. This improves Villager's approach, especially because all of his aerials are good for approaching (three sex kicks and two projectiles). Second, instant dash attack. This lets Villager edgeguard with the pot on the edge of side platforms on Battlefield and Dream Land. There are more benefits from tilt stick, but these are the two that are especially good for Villager.

But that's just how I see it; I started competitive play and GameCube controller use with Smash 4. I understand that people who've been playing since Melee see things differently because that game had no control variety.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I use all default controls. Personally, coming from a background of platformers, tap jump is the only jumping method that makes sense to me. I use smash attacks a lot more than tilts, and the button smash attacks don't make sense to me either, so I like C-stick set to smash attacks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but I use the Wii U Gamepad. I don't own a GC controller or a Wii U Pro Controller, and the Wii Classic doesn't work for me (left stick postition), so it's either that or a Wiichuk. Also, I do have to change controller mappings with GC and Wiichuk.

GC: L/R as grab, Z as shield
Wiichuk: D-pad as smash attacks, C as shield, Z as grab.

I am so used to the Gamepad, I need the shield button to be above the grab button, not vice versa.

Last edited:
Top Bottom