• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a lack of King K. Rool players?

ThePope1337

Smash Rookie
After having watched a lot of streams of tournaments and having gone to 4 locals, I have noticed that there aren't many K. Rool players as I thought there would be. When I go to a local, I'm usually the only K. Rool player that's there. People tend to begrudgingly mumble under their breath, if I win a set that K. Rool is cheap or annoying, which I don't agree with. Even when I lose, people complain about him. When watching streams, there's usually only one K. Rool player that is shown throughout the entire session.

Is it just me or do people don't really play this character? If many people consider him "cheap," wouldn't there be more people playing him? I see tons of Lucina's and Roy's wherever I go and whenever I watch a a stream. This is basically just an observation of a trend that I've noticed throughout the past month. You would think considering after all the hype there was with his reveal that more people would be playing him. I also find it rather difficult to find decent competitive matches with K. Rool that isn't 4 to 5 weeks old on YouTube.

What is everyone else's take on this?

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
There's no end to them online, but i haven't gone to any irl tourneys yet. I have also never seen any serious competitive players play him on streams either so idk.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I'm in the SoCal scene, there's a few people including me playing as him out here. Our best player right now is Ito, who placed 17th out of 512 participants with only King K. Rool at SoCal Chronicles. I think people are largely sticking with the veteran characters because we're all familiar with them, plus there are way more of them then there are newcomers. King K. Rool in particular is also a combo food character, which becomes really difficult for the user at high level play, as so many combo based characters like Pichu and Peach run rampant. However, some people are making an effort to use him in tournament, and I plan to stick with him as my main as long as I keep playing the game. Results will come in eventually, but I would give ourselves a full year to see if he stands the test of time within the competitive community. It's very early days, but after tournaments later this year like EVO 2019 and Big House 9, we should have a good standing on his overall viability.

Here's gameplay of Ito if anyone is interested by the way, he's one of the best King K. Rool players at the moment:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i think it's just the downside of being a really heavy character most tournament player's flock to the lighter characters due to them not being combo scapegoats like big heavies are

ThePope1337

Smash Rookie
I'm in the SoCal scene, there's a few people including me playing as him out here. Our best player right now is Ito, who placed 17th out of 512 participants with only King K. Rool at SoCal Chronicles. I think people are largely sticking with the veteran characters because we're all familiar with them, plus there are way more of them then there are newcomers. King K. Rool in particular is also a combo food character, which becomes really difficult for the user at high level play, as so many combo based characters like Pichu and Peach run rampant. However, some people are making an effort to use him in tournament, and I plan to stick with him as my main as long as I keep playing the game. Results will come in eventually, but I would give ourselves a full year to see if he stands the test of time within the competitive community. It's very early days, but after tournaments later this year like EVO 2019 and Big House 9, we should have a good standing on his overall viability.

Here's gameplay of Ito if anyone is interested by the way, he's one of the best King K. Rool players at the moment:

That’s great that there’s another dedicated player to watch. I think that blunderbust ledge tech he does is kind of gimmicky and it’ll only work with against people who aren’t familiar with the matchup. But, it’s good to compete play styles with another player nonetheless.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
it's nice to see any dedicated K.Rool Players when it seems like nobody expects her to be anything more than combo food

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
There's a lot of K. Rool Players on the Discord Server, but not many that I know of go to tourneys right now. I'm probably gonna try to make a splash at my UK Scene once I'm out of the pit I'm in.

supremejudicator

Smash Rookie
Nairo and M2K both play him occasionally on their streams. Neither feel he has as much viability offline in competitive play, though.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
King K. Rool is only hated because he's an absolute unit and he crushes helpless victims beneath his massive girth. Do not despair in the wake of their hate, you are only inflicting upon them a small portion of the years of pain the King and his fans have suffered in his absence, rejoice that they might one day know the full extent of his agony.

Seriously though, don't know why the King even still has haters, I really thought they died out.

Top Bottom