• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the shield really all that good?

Vyden

Smash Rookie
I guess this post could go for any of the links but I don't feel as if the shield has ever been ultilized greatly in any of the smash games. A reflect or catching feels far superior than blocking an object just by standing still. Its also unlikely that a player is just going to just stand there perfectly everyime I mean this is supersmash bros. Maybe its time for a Mirror shield with the same function as Pit's down special from brawl except on TL its like an advanced guard technique since he has bombs for down special. Anyways thats my opinion because I mostly see the shields as an aesthetic but haven't seen it ever properly used in fights. Thoughts?

Syprone

Smash Cadet
Shield is one of the most important parts of Smash. You use a shield so that you’re able to punish the endlag of an opponent’s move when they go in for an attack.

Primal Cookie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2532 0420 7538
Shield is one of the most important parts of Smash. You use a shield so that you’re able to punish the endlag of an opponent’s move when they go in for an attack.
I think he’s talking about Toon Link’s Special shield that blocks projectiles if you’re standing still.

Anyway, it can be good (and can make playing against Tink very frustrating for projectile-heavy characters), but it’s utility is limited, because you have to be standing still for it to activate. Overall, it’s a cool little mechanic that will see very little actual use in games.

Syprone

Smash Cadet
With my newfound knowledge on what the topic is, I agree with Primal Cookie. It can be used as a block all projectile shield but having it be any more powerful (reflector, physical attack block) would be wildly broken and unfair as it isn’t even part of his move set. He has it during idle position and very few characters have extra options like this quirk.

Vyden

Smash Rookie
With my newfound knowledge on what the topic is, I agree with Primal Cookie. It can be used as a block all projectile shield but having it be any more powerful (reflector, physical attack block) would be wildly broken and unfair as it isn’t even part of his move set. He has it during idle position and very few characters have extra options like this quirk.
I mean we do have K rool doubling as a reflector counter

Top Bottom