• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the power buff of Zamus' shoes a betrayal of her character?

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Despite my issues with the heels themselves, this is not a discussion on sexism. This is purely dealing with the way Zamus' new playstyle matches her character.

So with the aid of her new rocket shoes, Zamus has gained lots of buffs... including her Dash Attack, her A combo, and her Forward Smash. But while I'm all in favor of previously disappointing moves becoming more useful in this new iteration, I can't help but feel that a lot of these changes are very uncharacteristic of her.

In Metroid: Zero Mission, the moment her ship crashed, Samus was left with nothing but her Zero Suit and her stun gun and she was forced to rely entirely on her skill and athleticism alone. Essentially, Samus losing her Power Suit means she loses all her power... and in a lot of ways, the Brawl incarnation of Zero Suit Samus seemed to reflect this. Most of her grounded A moves were not powerful at all. Only her aerial attacks were really good and she heavily relied on the stun gun to trap opponents into set-ups and combos. It was a style that really appealed to me in Brawl and she became one my top characters to use.

And now with all her new rocket shoe attacks, she's suddenly gained some more powerful moves? It just seems bizarre. I'm happy that she'll likely be a high-tier character but I'm not sure if this change of playstyle is the most faithful to her character.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Personally I always felt Brawl ZSS' weakness was a betrayal of character. It's very easy to forget that under the suit, Samus is still darn near superhuman, in terms of athletic ability, strength, and presumably durability. There's no reason she shouldn't have been able to go toe to toe with Solid Snake in close quarters, especially considering how much more advanced just the stun gun was compared to his arsenal.

IMO, her newfound strength out of the suit fits her character, though the idea of her fighting outside of the suit at all kind of does.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Personally I always felt Brawl ZSS' weakness was a betrayal of character.
I can respect you feeling that way, but in Metroid: Zero Mission, Samus completely lacked the ability to kill while in the Zero Suit. Strength wasn't Zamus' main attribute. It was her athletic ability, her wits, and her stun gun.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Zero is to me an horrendous way to represent the samus character, basically screams "im helpless", yet the original metroid shows the suitless samus as a total badass... yeah, arm cannon, i know.

I like how they justify her buffs with the shoes, really, follows the same Zero's ideal but in a less situational context, also "im a woman, here me roar" :p

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Zero is to me an horrendous way to represent the samus character, basically screams "im helpless", yet the original metroid shows the suitless samus as a total badass... yeah, arm cannon, i know.

I like how they justify her buffs with the shoes, really, follows the same Zero's ideal but in a less situational context, also "im a woman, here me roar" :p
Honestly, I don't think being without the Power Suit makes her helpless. Even without it, she was daring enough to infiltrate the Space Pirate base and capable enough to survive without her entire arsenal. It shows anything but helplessness. It shows that even without her weapons, Samus is still a brave and capable warrior.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's very easy to forget that under the suit, Samus is still darn near superhuman, in terms of athletic ability, strength, and presumably durability.
Uh, I don't remember the part mentioning that Chozo DNA gives super muscles as well as
being able to tank laser shots and bullets... If Samus was as strong as you say she is she'd be absolutely RIPPED
(think a bit like Captain Falcon).

She probably is at least above average in the areas you mentioned except for athleticism, which she
clearly excels in. In a world where guns and advanced technology and armorsuits exist, who needs
super muscles?

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't think being without the Power Suit makes her helpless. Even without it, she was daring enough to infiltrate the Space Pirate base and capable enough to survive without her entire arsenal. It shows anything but helplessness. It shows that even without her weapons, Samus is still a brave and capable warrior.
"survive", she could only do that.

Another World shows a weak human dealing with an entire planet with not only but a gun (and his friend), using traps or going kamikaze avoiding every hit with good reflexs.
You feel the danger, death is in every corner... yet you never really felt helpless, is all about good strategy in side of abbility.

In zero mission, one pirate sees you and you need to scape.
Is not your decision, you have to do it, otherwise you are going to get destroyed with a dramatic core on the background.

Brave and capable warrior? no, just a confident and independant WOMAN :woman:
I dont really like this, and is not just a zero mission thing, in fusion you also have to scape from SA-X and relatives, while in Metroid 2 you feel constant fear to see a metroid hiding under a rock, but here you also have to destroy every single one of them and put yourself in danger, you want to find them, to the point to even let metroid queen eat you in order to beat the game :B

Sorry but clasic metroid rocks this hard, it can be helped :p

Last edited:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Is destroying everything in sight the only way you think it's possible to express strength? I think the intent of Samus in the Zero Suit was to show the opposite of that... that it's not important to brute force every situation. Zero Suit Samus may be Samus without the Power Suit but she doesn't need to force her way through all her obstacles to get something done.

Zamus in Brawl proved exactly that. She was a high-tier character in the game not because she had the strongest attacks but because she could control the battle with her stun gun and edge guard you with her insanely high jump.

I personally found that style very appealing. If you don't feel the same though, it's fine.

Last edited:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
that it's not important to brute force every situation.
uhm she destroyed the ship and everybody inside at the end. She couldnt do it at the begining because she didnt had the tools.
Remember that part when the space pirate takes the power bomb and you are essentially going after him? thats it, you want the cool weapons dont you?

Im not judging samus gameplay style in brawl/smash4, i already said i like it, and i agree with everything you have said about it, but thats not a zero mission thing, this feature is unique to smash.

Game is cool anyways.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Uh, I don't remember the part mentioning that Chozo DNA gives super muscles as well as
being able to tank laser shots and bullets... If Samus was as strong as you say she is she'd be absolutely RIPPED

She probably is at least above average in the areas you mentioned except for athleticism, which she
clearly excels in. In a world where guns and advanced technology and armorsuits exist, who needs
super muscles?
Samus is 6'3 and weighs 198 pounds, she's larger than Snake in all categories, whom is considered to be at the peak of human condition. Samus is a beyond peak human, with Chozo DNA and Chozo tech. Given the absurd advancedness of most of the technology she weilds, sure, she doesn't NEED to be super agile or strong under the suit, but she is. Even without the suit she's still going to be stronger than nearly any human on the cast, except possibly Captain Falcon, and even then I'd argue she'd be able to beat him in a one on one. Of course this is barring the likes of Ganondorf, who she really couldn't beat without her suit.

Besides, that same logic applies to the good Captain himself, why does he need super muscles with all that advanced tech? He has them because he likes it that way.

@ Carrill Carrill
To be fair, yes she lacks killing power while in the Zero Suit, but that's more because of the weaponry she has available at the time. That dinky little blaster isn't going to harm much given that it is just a stun gun.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
It's not about cool weapons. The point is that in all the times we've seen her, Zero Suit Samus has a side of Samus that has characteristically never been known to rely on powerful weapons to accomplish a goal.

Because of that, the introduction of the rocket heels as a weapon in Smash 4 felt jarring to me. It's an addition she kind of just never needed in the first place.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I'm in agreement, she didn't need the heels at all, and using them as a source of strength isn't necessary. Really this kind of feels like an apples to oranges comparison though, comparing a 2D Metroid game to a fighting game like Smash is a little hard to do directly. There are inconsistencies all over in Smash, and ZSS coming across as stronger than some might want is apart of that.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Yeah. Smash is definitely full of inconsistencies. Jigglypuff's Rest. xD

Though I still find the addition of the rocket shoes jarring, I'll definitely continue to main Zamus in Smash 4. Her playstyle will certainly be different but hopefully, I'll still like it.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
...but is not a powerfull weapon, is literally her shoes xD
Im just going to assume is a way to justify her down special, i mean, she is not a martial artist to have this kind of techniques anyways.

You better believe is unnecessary, best things in life tend to be like this :p

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Is Zero Suit Samus in Smash 4 (actually Smash in general) canonically accurate? No not at all.

Does ZSS' new tech betray her character? Also No, accurately portraying Zero Suit Samus would be not having her playable at all.

That's not to insult her or say she is a weak character outside her suit, but she is a character that has limits. She wouldn't be a viable playable character outside her suit if we are sticking strictly to Metroid Canon, but Smash takes liberties with most of their characters. Zelda never used Din's Fire, Farore's Wind or Nayru's love in the Zelda games and even if she had they don't function how they did in the game. So if we're saying Zamus is a betrayal of the character because she is using Jet Boots than we should probably completely rework Zelda, among many others, as well. In addition to the fact that her Paralyzer gun never worked like it does in Smash in the first place.

Honestly if anything I think you could view her added gear outside of her suit as a way of making Zamus seem stronger and showing off her ingenuity. The Chozo are gone so they didn't design it. If we were to apply hypothetical lore to her new suit-less equipment I like to think it was concepts she came up with for cases where she might not be able to use her suit. In any case, I'd rather have her as a character than not at all. Even with Samus twice Metroid is still low on reps, and having a version of Samus where we can actually see her face and expressions is welcome to me.

And, if I'm being blunt, this thread kinda comes off as "Why the hate for the heels" part 2 with a new reworded OP that makes it seem like it's not the same discussion. I think it will likely devolve into the same discussion of "why the heels are/aren't appropriate/sexist/what have you.

TrollheartBlue

Smash Rookie
Samus always seemed a character to make best use of the tools to her. It's been stated many times that wields incredible power because of the Chozo DNA. Yet, she still chooses to use the paralyzer. Why? Because it's another tool that adds more to her arsenal. The rocket heels add more to her arsenal. Look at her up special! She couldn't do that before without rockets on the bottom of her feet. Why wouldn't Samus use another tool available to her?

And, if I'm being blunt, this thread kinda comes off as "Why the hate for the heels" part 2 with a new reworded OP that makes it seem like it's not the same discussion. I think it will likely devolve into the same discussion of "why the heels are/aren't appropriate/sexist/what have you.
I would agree. I don't think there is much more that can be added to this discussion. There simply is not enough about Samus Aran canonically that can be used to fuel this with logical discussion (especially if you throw Other M out a window).

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is Zero Suit Samus in Smash 4 (actually Smash in general) canonically accurate? No not at all.

Does ZSS' new tech betray her character? Also No, accurately portraying Zero Suit Samus would be not having her playable at all.

That's not to insult her or say she is a weak character outside her suit, but she is a character that has limits. She wouldn't be a viable playable character outside her suit if we are sticking strictly to Metroid Canon, but Smash takes liberties with most of their characters. Zelda never used Din's Fire, Farore's Wind or Nayru's love in the Zelda games and even if she had they don't function how they did in the game. So if we're saying Zamus is a betrayal of the character because she is using Jet Boots than we should probably completely rework Zelda, among many others, as well. In addition to the fact that her Paralyzer gun never worked like it does in Smash in the first place.

Honestly if anything I think you could view her added gear outside of her suit as a way of making Zamus seem stronger and showing off her ingenuity. The Chozo are gone so they didn't design it. If we were to apply hypothetical lore to her new suit-less equipment I like to think it was concepts she came up with for cases where she might not be able to use her suit. In any case, I'd rather have her as a character than not at all. Even with Samus twice Metroid is still low on reps, and having a version of Samus where we can actually see her face and expressions is welcome to me.

Hah, the talk about her ingenuity reminds me of Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank. Imagine what the Lombax could do to her Power Suit. He'd take it from legendary tech to supreme tech.

Anyway the whole adding something else betraying character can be applied to anyone. Solid Snake and Big Boss are known as masters of stealth, but they can be effective guerrilla soldiers. MGSV takes this to an even higher level where you can probably make Big Boss into a literal demon on the battlefield. Past games lacked mechanics that allowed the Snakes to kill even more effectively. We're talking about hijacking vehicles, bullet-time, sprinting, quick CQC, armor, air strikes, and more. That alone makes many Metal Gear fans worried that MGSV won't be that stealthy. It is, but you know have more options.

Raiden's character is that of a child soldier with repressed memories. He was inhuman from the beginning as much as he was human. Does taking away his flesh and blood make him even less human? Or introducing his psychopathic alter ego or his sociopathic ideology? To kill is to take a life, but to kill can save lives. Raiden's no longer an agent of stealth, but a killer of killers. His cybernetics makes him stronger than any human, but puts him further away from humanity. Does it betray his human suffering? His human reactions and human morality? I don't think so since being human or rather, being sentient can't be argued. There's still a soul and heart in Raiden's artificial body.

Onto Samus: Power is represented by her, well, Power Suit. You don't need to know who's in the suit, but you do need to know something: will and capability. All living beings have the will to survive and overcome; all living beings have the capability to evolve and be empowered. The suit is Samus's power, but without it, Samus still retains that power, but in a different way. So, she can't rely on her shields, survive in toxic or inhospitable environments, or use her impressive arsenal. Samus still has the power to become empowered; she can still use whatever is at her disposal. Be that weapons, her training, or what equipment she had left. In combat, everything's a weapon. You, your enemy, the environment, bystanders, emotion, psyche - everything. What to do with jet boots or jet heels? Use them to amplify your attacks, throw them, run, whatever.

Zero Suit Samus. Zero Suit refers to her lack of her suit, but nothing says Samus can't fight in some way. Self-defense is fighting, but fighting to survive and escape danger. Zero Mission's portrayal was her fight to escape. Brawl's portrayal was her fight to show you shouldn't take her lightly without a suit. SSB4's portrayal is her fight showing what she can do with what's given to her.

Meet a soldier in combat and he will shoot you. Take away his rifle and pistol and he'll throw a grenade at you. Take away those and he will stab you. Take away his knife and he'll crack your head open. Break his arms and he'll stomp you. Break his legs and he'll bite you. Give him a sword and he'll slash you. Give him a hammer and he'll crush you. Give him a rock and he'll break your skull. Give him a landmine and he'll rig it you blow you up. Give him a railgun and he'll vaporize you. Give him an advanced suit of armor and he'll destroy you.

The art of survival is to make do with what's given. Advantages are coveted; disadvantages are turned into advantages. It's instinct to survive.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I want to be clear here: I did not create this thread to spawn another sour argument between people who will simply never agree. Whether it comes off as negative or not, I simply like to criticize things. A while ago, I made a thread criticizing some of the design choices of the Smash Run mode. I'm not a negative or argumentative person by any means... I'm simply accustomed to analyzing the positive and the negative and if you want to join me in this, you're free to.

It's obvious that there are some inconsistencies in the Smash Bros series but it's also clear that they at least try to get some things right. They made Bowser stand more upright with this iteration, they improved King Dedede's and Charizard's expressiveness, and the list goes on. Even despite things like Jigglypuff's Rest, it's clear that Sakurai's team makes an effort to stay true to these characters and I don't see the harm in discussing any perceived successes and failures in this.

This thread isn't an echo chamber and I'm not trying to "convert" anyone's beliefs. If you have an opinion on how poorly or how incredibly well Zamus' new playstyle fits her... or you want to talk about Zamus' character itself, you're free to express it.

MegaMango

Smash Cadet

super muscles?
Eh, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna jump in this conversation.

Samus has Chozo DNA (and also Metroid DNA if you're talking about after Fusion), which makes her superhuman.

This in a sense, is a lot like Wonderwoman. WW has superhuman strength not because she is ripped, but because she has Amazonian blood. In reality, WW is a very beautiful, fit character, by no means ripped at all (I hate DC video games because they portray her as masculine looking).

The same thing goes for Samus... She's super athletic and strong not because she's ripped, but because ofher genetic makeup.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Zelda is not going to be happy with Link comforting Samus. :p

Zelda: "Link, why were you with Samus and not me?"

Yeah, I kind of wished people would stop talking about her heels which are now jet-heels of butt-kicking just like how Raiden's heels are foot-thumbs. Still, this is a thread about how Samus being empowered is a betrayal to Samus's character as a whole even though it's directed at Samus without her suit who is still powerful in her own right, but in different ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Why would I be complaining about her being "empowered?" My main point is basically this:

It's not about cool weapons. The point is that in all the times we've seen her, Zero Suit Samus has a side of Samus that has characteristically never been known to rely on powerful weapons to accomplish a goal.
I'm pretty much questioning Sakurai's reasoning as to thinking Zamus needed higher damaging attacks, heels or no.

I'm un-watching this thread though. Talk about whatever you want, I guess.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Why would I be complaining about her being "empowered?" My main point is basically this:

I'm pretty much questioning Sakurai's reasoning as to thinking Zamus needed higher damaging attacks, heels or no.

I'm un-watching this thread though. Talk about whatever you want, I guess.
Nor has Solid Snake, Big Boss, or even the Star Fox characters. They rely on both their gadgets, skills, and wits. Snake would have died had he not found creative ways to elude his enemies and pick when to fight and when not to fight. Star Fox like air forces in general never charge in. They always make sure they have a chance to win their battles and never go in unless absolutely necessary when there's anti-air equipment below.

Also, Samus without her suit was up against other species much stronger than her. With a suit, she stands a chance, but she can't go Superman or Wonder Woman and take hits all willy nilly. She still has to take cover, use her environment, etc. It's just with a suit, she has extra firepower and armor. Without it, she's more like a hunter with a bow against a bear versus a hunter with a rifle. Even though she's superhuman, she's still not going to survive against wild animals and Space Pirates who are biologically dangerous and usually have their gear - I think some of them even have equipment grafted onto them. The cast of Mass Effect are comparable in that they have similar gear, but that doesn't mean they're all powerful. Reapers, Geth, and wildlife would take them down easily if they're not careful. They have to be even more careful without high-powered weaponry and armor.

Another thing is that they're using her latest appearance which just so happens to have heels. I wouldn't be surprised if they just ripped the model, updated the textures, and left it there. It's not like working with Mega Man who didn't have an existing model or Marth who's model exist, but the latest one showed up more as concept art rather than in-game. It'd be easy and time-saving to rip Samus's model from Other M like ripping Mario's, Luigi's, Link's, Fox's, etc. from past games or Brawl.

So, how to make heels interesting? Make them rocket heels and Zero Suit Samus had two tether recoveries for Specials which needed to change since now she has rocket heels and her schtick isn't based on entirely her plasma gun and whip like how Sonic's schtick is rolling into a ball.

Anyway, it's just a game that needs to be balanced somehow. If it followed lore, then Snake's knockback and damage would horribly pale in comparison to Zero Suit Samus who's superhuman and equipped with high-tech gear. Snake would have been the weakest character of all time compared to Mario who can shoot fireballs, Ike who can swing a two-handed sword with one hand, Wolf who's an anthropomorphic wolf - he'd tear and gore Snake to bits -, Zelda who has magic and would incinerate the poor soldier, and Mr. Game & Watch, a 2D man who can burn, freeze, and just beat the living hell out of Snake.

Rockets? Yeah, arrow to the head from Toon Link. Grenade? How about an Aura Sphere courtesy of Lucario. Cypher? Oh look, Meta Knight is going to eviscerate him - censor guys get ready. C4? How about a Clawshot to the face by the Hero of Twilight, Link. Punch Captain Falcon? Let's hope it's an instant kill or Snake's going to be paralyzed from the neck down. Running away from Samus just means Snake's going to die tired since his old gear will do little to nothing to Samus's Power Suit or the fact that Zero Suit Samus can out pace him and stun before she snaps his neck.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
From the way I see it, without her suit, she's left with few options except for melee attacks and that stun gun. But for some reason Brawl made the gun a....whip? ...what? I'm just glad to see less whipping, I'm totally getting the wrong idea from that.

I really do love this incarnation of Zero Suit Samus, and I'm glad she's useable. The one thing that bothers me is that she's just SO much better than Powersuit Samus. Doesn't she wear that suit because....oh I dunno, it makes her a hundred times stronger? Running through lava like it's nothing, shredding enemies 4x her size to pieces with a screw attack, blowing up thick walls of steel with super missiles, having an arsenal of incredibly powerfull and widespread beams, and having freaking nukes at your disposal.....HOW is this inferior to ZSS?

That just feels silly to me. If you want to buff ZSS, who was already better than Samus in Brawl, buff Samus too.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
From the way I see it, without her suit, she's left with few options except for melee attacks and that stun gun. But for some reason Brawl made the gun a....whip? ...what? I'm just glad to see less whipping, I'm totally getting the wrong idea from that.

I really do love this incarnation of Zero Suit Samus, and I'm glad she's useable. The one thing that bothers me is that she's just SO much better than Powersuit Samus. Doesn't she wear that suit because....oh I dunno, it makes her a hundred times stronger? Running through lava like it's nothing, shredding enemies 4x her size to pieces with a screw attack, blowing up thick walls of steel with super missiles, having an arsenal of incredibly powerfull and widespread beams, and having freaking nukes at your disposal.....HOW is this inferior to ZSS?

That just feels silly to me. If you want to buff ZSS, who was already better than Samus in Brawl, buff Samus too.
Competitive balance and realism don't mix, buddy.
Also, all the fighters are actually trophies and can take beatings that
would obliterate or eviscerate real people.

And Samus IS buffed, it's just that fast, combo-heavy characters usually come out on
top in tier lists (unless the zoners game is REALLY hard to get past).

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Competitive balance and realism don't mix, buddy.
Also, all the fighters are actually trophies and can take beatings that
would obliterate or eviscerate real people.

And Samus IS buffed, it's just that fast, combo-heavy characters usually come out on
top in tier lists (unless the zoners game is REALLY hard to get past).
Don't be silly. Zero Suit Samus was made to be "weaker" than Samus in Brawl, as "punishment" for that OP final smash, and they failed miserably. Now she was made to be "evened out" through the use of Jet Boots. Meanwhile Samus was changed to be slightly more close combat oriented, not exactly "buffed". Remember, Sakurai thought Samus was "the best character, better take away that waaaay too good projectile game!" and nerfed it to hell and back. What happens when you take away a character's best traits and slightly buff her weaker ones? They become mediocre all around. Meanwhile, Zero Suit Samus has one of the best melee games out there.

It's all a big misunderstanding, with Sakurai not knowing how to balance characters and all that jazz. If he wanted Zero Suit Samus at any point to feel "weaker" than this "almighty" version of Samus, then maybe he should've compared them a little closer. Because right now Zero Suit Samus racks up more damage, has better KO power, AND is faster.

It's still cool at least one version of Samus finally seems to be S-tier for once, even if it's the one that makes no sense whatsoever.

TrollheartBlue

Smash Rookie
It's all a big misunderstanding, with Sakurai not knowing how to balance characters and all that jazz.
lol. okay.

It's still cool at least one version of Samus finally seems to be S-tier for once, even if it's the one that makes no sense whatsoever.
But it does make sense. Super Smash Bros is primarily hand to hand combat. Let me think of how often I've seen Samus engaging in hand to hand combat............. Oh yeah, her suit is used for trekking through strange environments, surviving extreme conditions, and being able to defeat the natural enemies that inhabit those lands. Zero Suit Samus is the opposite though. It's used when she needs to be quick, stealthy, and be able to deal with enemies in hand to hand combat, primarily other humanoids. It makes perfect sense that she would be better in the context of Super Smash Bros than with her Varia Suit. How much better? It's difficult to say. As we're talking not only a fictional world, but a crossover of 24+ different fictional worlds; Things aren't going to be exact.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
You'll be hard pressed to find a smash character who's a 100% faithful to their source character (Ness is still aping off Paula's moveset, for instance)

In any case, you're off base.
  • Brawl ZSS was a character with an incredible aerial game, excellent mobility, great spacing tools and several potent KO options.
  • 3DS ZSS is a character with an incredible aerial game, excellent mobility, great spacing tools and several potent KO options.
It's obviously more indepth than that, but the sentiment behind the 2 versions of ZSS is the same.

Last edited:

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Zero Suit Samus even being playable is a betrayal to Metroid series theme already. The fact that in both games she's been in she's been so much better than her power suit incarnation that even completely casual players catch on to it is just salt in the wound.

They've taken a small gimmick from ONE game that actually did a great job of showing how important Samus' suit really was... and run with it to the point I can't even consider it Samus anymore. Olympic style ribbon moves... from an energy pistol? Sexy rocket high heels? I don't even know where they got these ideas. They certainly don't seem like they would be effective weapons in the tech heavy sci-fi universe Samus exists in. Plus her training as Chozo Warrior, a Federation Soldier, and all of her behavior as a bounty hunter through all the games would never encourage let alone teach such a bouncy flashy move-set.

But then I feel like Nintendo pretty much buried Samus entirely after releasing the steaming pile that was Other M.

I'M NERD RAGING ON THE INTERWEBS!

Solatic

Smash Rookie
Yea this thread doesn't actually matter, no one is faithful to their source in Smash Bros. Just being in Smash Bros is already unfaithful to their characters, everyone existing in the same universe isn't right. If someone can look at a character, and recognize who it is (assuming they know the character from the source game or a previous Smash), then that's good enough as far as representation. Obviously they'll stick to the theme of a character with Mario throwing fireballs, ZSS using her stun gun, Link with the Master Sword, ect.

In the end, from a gameplay perspective (the most important one) her attacks & abilities feel powerful and look painful. Despite the horrible 3DS controls, she is fun to play, and her moveset feels good.

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
zss existing is a betrayal of her character. her mysterious, gender obscured, character was defined by the iconic "wait thats a girl?" so frequently uttered, yet never again will these words be spoken, with none other than the zero suit to blame. they sold her character for a few wee wee rising sales.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
zss existing is a betrayal of her character. her mysterious, gender obscured, character was defined by the iconic "wait thats a girl?" so frequently uttered, yet never again will these words be spoken, with none other than the zero suit to blame. they sold her character for a few wee wee rising sales.
Well, it's kinda hard to pretend her gender is a secret after 25 years (oh, and the Internet).

Top Bottom