• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the PDP Fightpad any good?

MasterHeroBrave

Smash Rookie
NNID
MasterHeroBrave
So I'm looking for a decent GC mimic controller.

First of all, I need four of them. My brothers, sister, and I are FINALLY competing online and we're about as good as we thought we were. Not quite getting dusted but still mostly losing. Trouble is, all we have are Wiimotes. Price was an issue when we got our Wii U recently, (used) and our Wii U Pro controller is basically reserved for BotW.

We do have one 15 year old original GC Controller. It actually outlived the Gamecube itself, and powered through Brawl's lifespan, but it is on it's last leg. No longer Smash worthy, my sister wants to be buried with it. We would like to get new originals, but the good Dedicated Sm4sh (black and white) controllers are selling on amazon around a whopping $120. Wow. Even then, you still have to buy an adapter to link up to the console.

We will not settle for used. Maybe you can get lucky buying used, but we can't risk hit-and-miss gambling. Price is a huge factor. Second biggest factor is longevity.

Most cheap third-party controllers fall apart fast but I've heard of two that meet competitive standards.
Hori and PDP

I've heard Horis are nice and shiny at first, but have weak L-sticks and soft shoulder buttons. Both of which are promised to break down after just a few weeks.
Everything I can find about PDP seems great, but it all seems first-glance. People talk about responsiveness and comfort and everything "feels" good... right off the bat. Even in video reviews the sticks and buttons all seem to have very strong snap you can see and hear, especially compared to similar videos of Hori Battle Pads. But it's always fresh. like "Hi I just got this PDP controller, it's sweet". I've only found one review which mentions anything about standing up to time, and it's not specific about how much time.

http://www.entertainmentbuddha.com/reviews/pdp-wired-fight-pad-review-yoshi-edition/

Maybe it's a good sign? If PDP Fightpads were breaking left and right, complaints would be everywhere, right?
Similar to all the bad timewear that I hear kills Hori.
I need to know before I sink $50+ dollars outfitting my people's Smash Game with a boatload of hope.

Has anyone had a PDP Fightpad long enough for it to die out? How long?
And if you have experience with PDP and Hori, maybe you prefer the Hori? If so, convince me.

So far I'm holding out for PDP to answer my prayers.
Yes I know it plugs into the Wiimote. I have a slew of rechargeable batteries.
Yes I know it registers as a classic, woo-hoo, non issue. Don't waste your time debating compatibility.
It's going to be an exclusive Sm4sh tool

Last edited:

Mr_towel_Man

Smash Apprentice
I don't like them myself as they feel really cheap. I would prefer GC but if its the only thing you got, make sure you pay a cheap price for it.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
So I'm looking for a decent GC mimic controller.

First of all, I need four of them. My brothers, sister, and I are FINALLY competing online and we're about as good as we thought we were. Not quite getting dusted but still mostly losing. Trouble is, all we have are Wiimotes. Price was an issue when we got our Wii U recently, (used) and our Wii U Pro controller is basically reserved for BotW.

We do have one 15 year old original GC Controller. It actually outlived the Gamecube itself, and powered through Brawl's lifespan, but it is on it's last leg. No longer Smash worthy, my sister wants to be buried with it. We would like to get new originals, but the good Dedicated Sm4sh (black and white) controllers are selling on amazon around a whopping $120. Wow. Even then, you still have to buy an adapter to link up to the console.

We will not settle for used. Maybe you can get lucky buying used, but we can't risk hit-and-miss gambling. Price is a huge factor. Second biggest factor is longevity.

Most cheap third-party controllers fall apart fast but I've heard of two that meet competitive standards.
Hori and PDP

I've heard Horis are nice and shiny at first, but have weak L-sticks and soft shoulder buttons. Both of which are promised to break down after just a few weeks.
Everything I can find about PDP seems great, but it all seems first-glance. People talk about responsiveness and comfort and everything "feels" good... right off the bat. Even in video reviews the sticks and buttons all seem to have very strong snap you can see and hear, especially compared to similar videos of Hori Battle Pads. But it's always fresh. like "Hi I just got this PDP controller, it's sweet". I've only found one review which mentions anything about standing up to time, and it's not specific about how much time.

http://www.entertainmentbuddha.com/reviews/pdp-wired-fight-pad-review-yoshi-edition/

Maybe it's a good sign? If PDP Fightpads were breaking left and right, complaints would be everywhere, right?
Similar to all the bad timewear that I hear kills Hori.
I need to know before I sink $50+ dollars outfitting my people's Smash Game with a boatload of hope.

Has anyone had a PDP Fightpad long enough for it to die out? How long?
And if you have experience with PDP and Hori, maybe you prefer the Hori? If so, convince me.

So far I'm holding out for PDP to answer my prayers.
Yes I know it plugs into the Wiimote. I have a slew of rechargeable batteries.
Yes I know it registers as a classic, woo-hoo, non issue. Don't waste your time debating compatibility.
It's going to be an exclusive Sm4sh tool
I used(and sometimes still do) a Pro Controller for a while because it has an extra button.
As for the PDP controller, I have tried one before and, although not in Smash, I think it felt kind of awkward and cheaper than the GC controller. I can find used, good condition GC controllers at several local gamestores for only $20-25 a piece, so try looking around.
The Gamepad and Clissic Controllers are also an option, but they aren't very good for Smash, with the odd button placement on the Gamepad, and the uncomfortable grip on the Classic controller(the one that more resembles an SNES controller isn't as bad).

Last edited:
Top Bottom