• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the Meta wrapped up for Roy?

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Is everything about Roy done at this point? Has everyone finished working on this character and developing his meta?

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
At the moment yes because there hardly is any top Roy players and no one's plays Roy as much then the 3top tiere

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
Sethlon doesn't actively practice melee but occasionally enters mnm.

He's pretty much only into smash 4 right now.

Sethlon pretty much quit melee in 2012/2013 and went to pm.

Lunchables has been doing stuff with roy though, making it out of day one at genesis 3 and only losing day 2 to a DQ. I expect some interesting things from him in the future. He's probably gonna be the only remotely relevant roy play for now

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
How is Pyro doing? I'll never forget his match vs. Wizzrobe where he destroyed him for the first stock then proceeded to get 0-2'd.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
You can't really blame anyone that wants to win for not using Roy. At least Mewtwo has his insane recovery and some decent set of options. Roy is kind of limiting in a way, so I can see why you don't see many Roys in the first place. But you're probably right that Roy pretty much hit a wall for now. I think one of the issues is since many players want to make a name for themselves, they want the best odds to win. When I first used Roy, and even after some experience, some games I just got gimped like a mother. You have to have an iron like will to play Roy since it's easy to end up in hitstun for a whole stock until you die. I don't think many people have the fortitude for that. Which fits into my second opinion that Roy just isn't that fun for some players in the first place, and they would rather main a high tier or be a low tier main for like Yoshi or something that doesn't get beat down as easily.

I'm probably one of the few people that's serious about maining Roy, but I'm more casual (I don't play a lot or train) and also I only play on Netplay. I don't really win that much, but I put a lot of effort during my matches into playing smart and abusing the simple things I think that get overlooked (funny how often the average marth I play online will whiff fair because my Roy crouches out of harms way, and walking mindgames!). But sadly I am not your savior. At least I can look cool online doing walk away to fsmash reads.

Since that many people don't play Roy in the first place, it lessens the chance that someone with the skill and that has the intelligence and everything will appear to rock with Roy, so you probably won't see Roy advance much. But if someone shows up like aMSa did with Yoshi, that would be awesome and I would gladly eat my words. I think it is possible though, but whoever it is would have to love playing Roy and really enjoy the experience at getting good with Roy and making the most out of his move set and get joy from taking advantage of the strengths that Roy has. If someone doesn't enjoy Roy then they won't keep going, they'll just give up because it's too much work. Plus the person would have to be like Magnus Carlsen in regards to having a ridiculous depth of understanding of Melee. Also of course the person would have to have great tech skill. So the odds of someone coming along like that and playing Roy is really really rare.

So in short, ShadowKing's whole post.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The character has been solved for a while now, when I play Roy I accept that he will never win a large tournament for me. I simply play him when I want to have fun or artificially challenge myself.

I think there are some super minor things I'm learning about him here and there, but it's pretty obvious that nothing will happen with him in the future. The only situation I could see him being used in a top 64 of a big/national tourney is like... game 2, counterpick to FoD vs a Falcon/Spacie player who has no idea what Roy does.

I still love him though

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
The character has been solved for a while now, when I play Roy I accept that he will never win a large tournament for me. I simply play him when I want to have fun or artificially challenge myself.

I think there are some super minor things I'm learning about him here and there, but it's pretty obvious that nothing will happen with him in the future. The only situation I could see him being used in a top 64 of a big/national tourney is like... game 2, counterpick to FoD vs a Falcon/Spacie player who has no idea what Roy does.

I still love him though
I love him too, he's our boy

Masteroki

Smash Cadet

I still love him though
Dude you are one of my favorite Roy players! What exactly do you do to stay out of shield pressure? I feel super comfortable in the neutral with Roy but get messed up once the opponent closes the gap on me (mainly Falco's laser approach).

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
respect to you roy players! Personally I think he still has a lot of untapped potential.

Top Bottom