• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the Development of PlayStation All-Stars going to affect Smash Bros 4

volbound1700

Smash Master
With Sony getting into the fighting genre, is there pressure on Smash Brothers 4 to produce an amazing product to secure themselves as the top fighting game?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I doubt there will be much pressure. Something seems a bit off about PSAS to me in the sense that it won't be good enough to overtake Smash Brothers in any way. It just seems like an attempt at trying to emulate the genre that Smash Brothers dominates. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and I'm sure it will be a good game in it's own regard, but not comparable to Smash Brothers.

But all we can do is wait to see what the future has in store. :laugh:

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Indirectly it probably will pressure them, since most fans of Smash bros. will probably get the game, to hold them over until Smash 4's release, using that time Smash as PSAS did, will have to dissect their (sony's) game to see what they did, to kinda build on both what they have done & what sony has done to create a successful game that arugably will top Brawl

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Isn't there another All-Stars thread already about this very issue? Admittadley, it gets off topic a bit, but still, this thread seems redundant.

And no, I don't think PSA will affect SSB. PSA just continues to look very meh to me, and it won't likely threaten SSB at all.

JeanLuc Pika-Q

Smash Rookie
I highly doubt that it would affect Nintendo at all. The games are aimed at completely different audiences... Vita and 3DS are competitors as consoles, but the niche each title will fill will be exclusive to each system... and Nintendo fans will go for the game with Nintendo mascots while Sony fans will go for All-Stars anyway. All-Stars is also the "knock-off" title here, so it is going to be partially discredited for that anyway.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nope. Lets be honest, PSAS isn't going to set the world on fire, it isn't going to launch a new genre, its just Sony's take on Smash Bros. Saying that PSAS is a threat to Smash is like saying that SEGA All Stars Racing is a threat to Mario Kart.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yes, but the fact that Nintendo now has competition puts them at more pressure to make a great product line then if there was no competition at all.

JPW

Smash Ace
they've actually revealed 2 new characters as of late. Heihachi and this little weird cat thing. And i've saw their introduction trailers. And to be honest it doesn't have the same style when they introduced smash bros characters.

For some reason it's a lot more exciting seeing Sonic or Snake pop up on screen. Then it has watching these introductions. It's seeems very slow and sluggish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75VvBU5sNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpTlg-TSQRc

you tell me which one is better?

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Nope. Lets be honest, PSAS isn't going to set the world on fire, it isn't going to launch a new genre, its just Sony's take on Smash Bros. Saying that PSAS is a threat to Smash is like saying that SEGA All Stars Racing is a threat to Mario Kart.
Pretty much this right here.....

Theres something about this game that just doesnt impress me. I think the final product will be good but definatly not better than Smash. The only thing they have going for it in my opinion is possibly better online and a bigger variety in third party characters. I was a bit suprised to see a Tekken character announced.

Since Smash 4 will not be out until a 1-2 years after this game I think there is 0 pressure for Sakurai because with what SSB4 has going for it. I dont think anything can stop them from setting a new standard in this genre Sakurai has created. PSAS will be playing catch up....

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Overall PSASBR is just another smash clone like TMNT Smash, Cartoon Network Punch, Shrek Smash, etc. However, this one might not be totally terrible (although the two Jump Stars games were really fun). Still, I doubt it will touch smashes' quality.
With Sony getting into the fighting genre, is there pressure on Smash Brothers 4 to produce an amazing product to secure themselves as the top fighting game?
Smash is in a league of its' own, and sub-genre of its' own that it not just is the boss of, but is the only series to put out quality games in said sub-genre.

Smash also has the best-selling fighting games ever; Melee and Brawl, Smash is the 4th best-selling fighting game series of all-time behind WWE, Tekken, and Street Fighter. Those series respectively have 55 games, 15 games (plus expansion games and ports), and 29 games (plus including ports) in said series-while appearing on multiple consoles!

Some newcomer copycat series isn't going to suddenly dethrone Smash Bros, especially made by Smash clone rookies with less budget, features, (exciting) characters, techniques, stages, items, modes, etc.

Also, Smash WiiU and 3DS will launch 3-5 years after this game is released. Unless a (rushed) sequel comes out, I doubt this will be seen as "competition" in any sort by anyone.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I've already posted my response, but I'd just like to say that I was really, really hoping PSA would be good. In a free market, competition is good for everyone. It keeps companies from overcharging(usually) and it encourages competitors to provide a superior product. If PSA does turn out to be awesome, which it probably won't, then Smash would be better off for it.

keero16

Smash Rookie
I thought PSAS was going to be pretty good, but from news about the game lately, my mind has changed. The biggest problem to me is the lack of first party characters. For some reason I think they should be advertising those before the third party ones. And no matter what anybody else says, Nintendo's first party characters are just so much better than anyone elses. That's why Smash Bros. works so well.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The purpose of this thread was not to say that PAS would be better than Smash but that the creation of PAS will push us to make a better Smash. It is kind of like China's space program at the moment. It isn't as great as US or Russia but it is growing and becoming a threat to overtake NASA. Many say it could push NASA to make more ambitious projects and perhaps more interest in the Space Program in the future.

PAS could push Nintendo to provide more resources to Smash to keep it on the top.

@ JPW - Agree about those intros, plus Heihachi is no were on the level of Sonic when it comes to popularity or iconic status.

Nintendo needs to lock up third parties such as Sonic and Megaman to stay ahead of PAS. If PAS can steal Sonic, Snake, Megaman, and some of these other strong, iconic third parties, it may be able to stand up to the powers that are Mario, DK, Link, Samus, etc. in the future. However, right now Nintendo has a huge advantage in that their 1st party material is iconic.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
they've actually revealed 2 new characters as of late. Heihachi and this little weird cat thing. And i've saw their introduction trailers. And to be honest it doesn't have the same style when they introduced smash bros characters.

For some reason it's a lot more exciting seeing Sonic or Snake pop up on screen. Then it has watching these introductions. It's seeems very slow and sluggish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75VvBU5sNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpTlg-TSQRc

you tell me which one is better?
yeah, these trailers differ so much in quality you can't even compare. the trailers revealing new characters in Brawl are much more appealing than those of PSASBR, which look pretty much bland, in my opinion.

maybe PSASBR will make Sakurai push a little further, but like some said, all those games attempting to mimic SSB lack something that SSB has. there's a certain aspect in SSB that is not present in other games of the genre, possibly the fact that Smash has more iconic characters and stages.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The simple fact is that SSB has a bigger fan-base. I severely doubt this will threaten a game that everybody already loves.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ QFT. Great, simple, and true post my friend!
I've already posted my response, but I'd just like to say that I was really, really hoping PSA would be good. In a free market, competition is good for everyone. It keeps companies from overcharging(usually) and it encourages competitors to provide a superior product. If PSA does turn out to be awesome, which it probably won't, then Smash would be better off for it.
While I agree with this logic that I like competition, PSASBR isn't competition to Smash, unless you consider a minor league baseball team as competition to a Major League baseball team. However, rarely does such competition prevent "overcharging" (except in cases like Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero, in which Guitar Hero overcharged for everything), especially since PSASBR is probably going to cost $60, and Smash WiiU and 3DS are probably going to cost $50 and $40 respectively while being higher quality game.

However, I do want PSASBR to be a good game, just because the world can always use good games. Also, I want to see all the PlayStation "All Stars" together in a great game.
PAS could push Nintendo to provide more resources to Smash to keep it on the top.
PSASBR doesn't have anywhere near the resources, funding, or talented minds that smash bros has in Sora Ltd, HAL Laboratories, and now Namco Bandai Games.
Nintendo needs to lock up third parties such as Sonic and Megaman to stay ahead of PAS. If PAS can steal Sonic, Snake, Megaman, and some of these other strong, iconic third parties, it may be able to stand up to the powers that are Mario, DK, Link, Samus, etc. in the future. However, right now Nintendo has a huge advantage in that their 1st party material is iconic.
The problem is Snake and Mega Man aren't as big as say Donkey Kong, Link, and literally dozens of Pokémon. On top of that, PSASBR isn't getting Sonic, and Smash isn't losing Sonic; because Sonic makes money, and Sonic makes sense in Smash. Plus the Mario & Sonic series has sold about 23 million copies...

Jet300

Smash Ace
I highly doubt it that this horrible game will affect smash bros 4. Its very uncompetitive, you can only kill characters with your specials, and kratos, god of *******.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it will, maybe very subtly or indirectly, but Nintendo may have their eyes on the product.

WTF does Heiachi (However you spell his name) look so young in PSAS?

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
You know what'd be funny? If Heihachi is in both PSAS and SSB4. I don't think that'll happen since, as I've said in other threads, Yoshimitsu is the obvious Namco Bandai choice. It certainly would be interesting to compare the different versions if it happened. Right now I think the only thing that could really compete with the next Smash Bros. in it's own sub-genre is a console Jump Stars game. The only problem with that would be that it would never be released outside of Japan due to intellectual "property" crap. So while it might be equally matched with Smash Bros. in quality and characters (quantity and quality) it could never really compete financially.

Then again chances are that there will be a feature or two of PSAS that's done really well and the Smash4 team might take pointers from that.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
If you like All stars I don't see why people just can't get both :S

I can understand comparing the two but I don't really understand why my smash bros are getting defensive about it. Hell if anything double the fun when board of smash you can play all stars.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The fact that the games aren't even going to be on the same system, released in the same year, and have completely different gameplay styles means that they're aren't in competition with each other at all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I doubt that Smash 4 will be under pressure by the PlayStation All-Stars game, especially when they play in completely different manners.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The fact that the games aren't even going to be on the same system, released in the same year, and have completely different gameplay styles means that they're aren't in competition with each other at all.
This thread is actually about PSABR (puh-sabber) 2.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This thread is actually about PSABR (puh-sabber) 2.
"Is the Development of PlayStation All-Stars going to affect Smash Bros 4"

Pretty sure I'm more on topic than the other All Stars vs. Smash 4 thread.

JPW

Smash Ace
i'm actually surprised they got Heihachi considering Namco's working with Sakurai on Smash Bros.
That and I always thought Jin was the face of Tekken.

One thing i can see happening is them stealing Snake from Smash Bros. He's had more of a home at Sony Playstation consoles so that's one of their strengths.

I should actually be excited by this. I actually like a lot of Sony games I'm a fan of games like Uncharted, Assasin's Creed, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, so i see a lot of potential here and what characters they can get to do. However i don't like some of their choices. Killing people only by Specials for example. Also i love the way the damage comes into play with Smash. The higher the percent the further they fly. Here you don't see any of that. It looks very slow and sluggish here. Nothing has really stood out yet. And so far the revealed roster hasn't seem to of impressed me yet. Sony has some great characters over the years yet where's Lara Croft? Where's Nathan Drake? Where's Dante? Where's Cloud?

Will it affect Smash. I pretty much be repeating anyone here. They are 2 entirely different games. I applaud PASBR by trying to be different, but i think it's failing in that sense. And I believe it could be fun but i don't think it'll have the impact like Smash does.

The interesting thing though is no one expected Smash Bros. 64 to hit off the way it did. In fact if you read about how it all began with With Sakurai and Iwata and their prototype. You'd be amazed how something so little became so big. Melee improved from Smash 64 so much and Brawl with the introduction and of Snake and Sonic actually helped it become by far possibly one of the most popular Wii Games of all.

If anything there's a 2 year wait too. PASBR could be under the rug by then. So they wont really have any pressure to fight that unless Sony tries to bring out another and do their best to make it look better than Smash4 which would be very hard considering the hype train and the anticipation that is on Smash4 already. Even right now Smash4 already has a bigger interest than PASBR does and they haven't even revealed a roster yet.

YEAH PASBR is really going to affect Smash 4. (SARCASM)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i'm actually surprised they got Heihachi considering Namco's working with Sakurai on Smash Bros.

One thing i can see happening is them stealing Snake from Smash Bros. He's had more of a home at Sony Playstation consoles so that's one of their strengths.

I should actually be excited by this. I actually like a lot of Sony games I'm a fan of games like Uncharted, Assasin's Creed, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, so i see a lot of potential here and what characters they can get to do. However i don't like some of their choices. Killing people only by Specials for example. Also i love the way the damage comes into play with Smash. The higher the percent the further they fly. Here you don't see any of that. It looks very slow and sluggish here. Nothing has really stood out yet. And so far the revealed roster hasn't seem to of impressed me yet. Sony has some great characters over the years yet where's Lara Croft? Where's Nathan Drake? Where's Dante? Where's Cloud?

Will it affect Smash. I pretty much be repeating anyone here. They are 2 entirely different games. I applaud PASBR by trying to be different, but i think it's failing in that sense. And I believe it could be fun but i don't think it'll have the impact like Smash does.

The interesting thing though is no one expected Smash Bros. 64 to hit off the way it did. In fact if you read about how it all began with With Sakurai and Iwata and their prototype. You'd be amazed how something so little became so big. Melee improved from Smash 64 so much and Brawl with the introduction and of Snake and Sonic actually helped it become by far possibly one of the most popular Wii Games of all.

If anything there's a 2 year wait too. PASBR could be under the rug by then. So they wont really have any pressure to fight that unless Sony tries to bring out another and do their best to make it look better than Smash4 which would be very hard considering the hype train and the anticipation that is on Smash4 already. Even right now Smash4 already has a bigger interest than PASBR does and they haven't even revealed a roster yet.

When Tekken makes a crossover, it's always Heichi.

Last time in Soul Calibur, and now in PSAS

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
kratos, god of *******.
You do realise it's just as, if not easier, to make fun of Nintendos characters? Grow up.

Considering that Kojima begged for Snake to be in Melee and Brawl, I'd be rather surprised if he doesn't return in Smash 4, but it doesn't mean that he can't go and join other games. Heck, Brawl wasn't his first appearance in a Smash styled game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OlFC4D3cq8

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I highly doubt that it would affect Nintendo at all. The games are aimed at completely different audiences... Vita and 3DS are competitors as consoles, but the niche each title will fill will be exclusive to each system... and Nintendo fans will go for the game with Nintendo mascots while Sony fans will go for All-Stars anyway. All-Stars is also the "knock-off" title here, so it is going to be partially discredited for that anyway.
honestly this game is not a knock off but a game that uses the same engine as smash. Do you consider all first person shooters a knock off of doom, or all fighters a knock off of street fighter?

no i rly dont think so, psas is going to sux.

cause why?

i agree it's not a treat but that's because it's releasing at a different time and a different console not because it will be a bad game.

Overall PSASBR is just another smash clone like TMNT Smash, Cartoon Network Punch, Shrek Smash, etc. However, this one might not be totally terrible (although the two Jump Stars games were really fun). Still, I doubt it will touch smashes' quality.

read my reply to the first quote, I do not think this is just an another knockoff it plays differently based on many people who tried the game first hand.

Smash is in a league of its' own, and sub-genre of its' own that it not just is the boss of, but is the only series to put out quality games in said sub-genre.

smash is awesome but I think superbot got what it takes to make a game that can stand on it's on and be a good game.

Smash also has the best-selling fighting games ever; Melee and Brawl, Smash is the 4th best-selling fighting game series of all-time behind WWE, Tekken, and Street Fighter. Those series respectively have 55 games, 15 games (plus expansion games and ports), and 29 games (plus including ports) in said series-while appearing on multiple consoles!

Some newcomer copycat series isn't going to suddenly dethrone Smash Bros, especially made by Smash clone rookies with less budget, features, (exciting) characters, techniques, stages, items, modes, etc.

again with the copycat :glare:

Also, Smash WiiU and 3DS will launch 3-5 years after this game is released. Unless a (rushed) sequel comes out, I doubt this will be seen as "competition" in any sort by anyone.
answers in bold.

I thought PSAS was going to be pretty good, but from news about the game lately, my mind has changed. The biggest problem to me is the lack of first party characters. For some reason I think they should be advertising those before the third party ones. And no matter what anybody else says, Nintendo's first party characters are just so much better than anyone elses. That's why Smash Bros. works so well.
There will be plenty of first part they only announced 10 characters and there is over 20 characters that's going to be in this. ( some franchises that 99% will show up are: ratchet, Jak( confirmed threw a leak, cole, and sackboy to name a few. Also if activision don't play hardball expect crash and spyro which are iconic to the ps) Also want to point out Nathan drake has been confirmed at e3.

The simple fact is that SSB has a bigger fan-base. I severely doubt this will threaten a game that everybody already loves.
of course ssb has a bigger fanbase smash has three games out and this is psabr first.

^^^ QFT. Great, simple, and true post my friend!

While I agree with this logic that I like competition, PSASBR isn't competition to Smash, unless you consider a minor league baseball team as competition to a Major League baseball team. However, rarely does such competition prevent "overcharging" (except in cases like Rock Band vs. Guitar Hero, in which Guitar Hero overcharged for everything), especially since PSASBR is probably going to cost $60, and Smash WiiU and 3DS are probably going to cost $50 and $40 respectively while being higher quality game.

I mean no offense to you but this seems like a nintendo fanboyish comment to me, psas from what I seem is not a small league game but one the prob will launch a franchise. Smash is a great game and battle royal has the chance to be a great game as well. Playstation has a wealth of great games and franchises to choose from and there willingness to reach out to third party's might even serve as an advantage for them to appeal to the players who have never played a smash game.

However, I do want PSASBR to be a good game, just because the world can always use good games. Also, I want to see all the PlayStation "All Stars" together in a great game.

Why do you think this is going to be so bad?

PSASBR doesn't have anywhere near the resources, funding, or talented minds that smash bros has in Sora Ltd, HAL Laboratories, and now Namco Bandai Games.
superbot seems to be doing a decent job, there were handpicked just for this game and all have a fighting game history

The problem is Snake and Mega Man aren't as big as say Donkey Kong, Link, and literally dozens of Pokémon. On top of that, PSASBR isn't getting Sonic, and Smash isn't losing Sonic; because Sonic makes money, and Sonic makes sense in Smash. Plus the Mario & Sonic series has sold about 23 million copies...

Yes Nintendo has very iconic characters but they been around longer as well and was the first to put out tier 1 games.
answers in bold

I highly doubt it that this horrible game will affect smash bros 4. Its very uncompetitive, you can only kill characters with your specials, and kratos, god of *******.
how is this uncompetitive? you have to build up meter by killing your opponent, so you can not just camp and still kills. You have to plan out when you use your supers in order to maximize the amount of points you get from it. A horrible times super will result in less kills then a skilled place one.

think about it this way, in smash the higher damage that is dealt to an opponent makes it more likly that you are going to die. In this game the more you let your opponent kit you the more likely he is going to ko you with a super.

this

Nathan has been confirmed at E3 and the entire roster has not been shown there going to be over 20 characters 10 of them has been revealed.

answer in bold

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How come PSAS doesn't have giant enemy crabs?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well this thread has been semi-hijacked although I don't mind reading the comments. I wasn't asking if PSAs was going to be a good game or overthrow the next Smash. My point was in response to a lot of threads asking if SSB4 is going to live up to the hype, etc. Is Sony entering the Smash-style market going to push Nintendo to make a better quality product? IMO, competition is a good thing and Sony entering the market is a WIN for us Smash fans.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Sony is getting a lot of 3rd party characters. I think Nintendo has to do the same, otherway SSB rooster would become limitated

Top Bottom