• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the D-Air spike worth going for?

Mew2Kid

Smash Rookie
After using G&W for a while, I'm considering maining him, but one question still goes unanswered to me: Is G&W's D-Air spike worth going for? I know the spike hitbox appears at the start of the move, but whenever I try to go for it offstage, the opponent simply airdodges, and more often than not, it leads to me losing a Stock or losing the game. Thanks for helping me out; I want to make sure I use G&W to the fullest.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yes, but conservatively.

You can dair spike some characters out of their recovery moves, in these cases air dodging is obviously impossible for them. It's not an opportunity that happens very often but you can definitely use it occasionally.

For the most part though dair is great as a punish to a whiffed move below you and this is it's primary use. It's good for edgeguarding too if the opponent recovers low

Ghost Pikmin

Smash Cadet
Also, it's much easier to go for dair spikes if you use Trampoline Launch, since the vertical height it gives your recovery is about equal to the height that key forces you to fall before you can do anything.

lllp3lll

Smash Apprentice
Of course- with Fire (upb1) GW can go so deep. Trampoline Launch makes it no effort to get back, don't go for it if you use heavy trampoline.

Timbroslice

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0190-0848-4221
I find that I get A LOT of spike kills against impatient ZSS's that down b to get back on stage. Other characters that have open heads during their recovery are easy to hit as well. Such as: DK, Link, Pit, Jiggly, Kirby, and idk theer's prob more. But DK is super easy.

If you're scared they will air dodge you can always bait one by jumping and waiting, or just throw a piece of bacon at them. Speaking of bacon your frying pan is an amazing gimp. If you time it right and hit them with the pan it sends them on a downward angle.

If you keep losing stocks just mash up b as fast as you can after dairing and save your jump. Just go for some spikes in FG matches tho. You'll never land em if you don't just start playing like a man!

ZxFlashFreezexZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lordofgames7
After using G&W for a while, I'm considering maining him, but one question still goes unanswered to me: Is G&W's D-Air spike worth going for? I know the spike hitbox appears at the start of the move, but whenever I try to go for it offstage, the opponent simply airdodges, and more often than not, it leads to me losing a Stock or losing the game. Thanks for helping me out; I want to make sure I use G&W to the fullest.
Hi there! As a Game & Watch player myself, I have an answer to your question. Personally, I would say yes, because you can cancel the dair and recover if you miss. If you dair and then immediately uspecial, you will be able to hit, or miss, your opponent and immediately recover. Hope this helped!

-THC| ZxFlashFreezexZ

phantoon

Smash Cadet
if you simply dash off the stage and do dair you can still recover by using your double jump and upB, i manage to get a decent amount of spikes using this while people recover and even if you don't, there's a good chance they'll get stage spiked instead. personally the key and the turtle are his best edgeguarding moves. i never seem to hit with fair hahaha

Top Bottom