• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the custom stage designer deconfirmed?

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
The title says it all. I'm very worried about the possibility that SSBU will not even HAVE a custom stage designer. As I haven't heard anything about it yet. Really how can you call it the "Ultimate Smash Bros." without giving us back all our favorite home-made stages from Brawl? So far there's nothing referring to stage designers on the official site either. Is it just as a matter of oversight that it's gone unmentioned or is it simply OUT of the game for this iteration?

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
We haven't seen it in the Games & More menu from Sakurai's demonstration, so...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
We haven't seen it in the Games & More menu from Sakurai's demonstration, so...
It was in the Vault in Brawl IIRC, but it wasn't seen there in Sakurai's Ultimate demonstration, either...

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Unless there is a Ultimate 50 fact video, it's safe to say it's gone, same with Custom Move Sets.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
It was in the Vault in Brawl IIRC, but it wasn't seen there in Sakurai's Ultimate demonstration, either...
The game's half a month from release, and there hasn't been any evidence of the mode whatsoever. I was pretty unhappy myself that Stage Builder got cut, but it really do be like that sometimes.

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
Stage Builder is probably cut if it is not in Vault. The only chance for it to return is through DLC... Which could actually be possible since there are 6 stage spots left in the stage select screen and DLC is only adding 5 stages.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Sakurai went through the help menu. If he is able to waste time on that, then he could have shown it off if he had it.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Sakurai went through the help menu. If he is able to waste time on that, then he could have shown it off if he had it.
this... we were shown even the different screen brightness options, so since he didn't talked about it is safe to assume that RIP (i will miss it too)

notion_of_the_ocean

Smash Rookie
This is a mind blowing cut... it really was not even given a proper chance in Brawl and Sm4sh. There could have been more series specific pieces and ability to use custom backgrounds etc. What a shame....

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
This is the feature I'm going to miss the most. Since it hasn't been mentioned at all by Sakurai or the website, I think it's safe to say that it got scrapped, probably due to time constraints. I also think the team likely prioritized remastering and bringing back all of the past stages. Each stage now has a Hazards Off version as well as a Final Destination and Battlefield version, and I'm sure they wanted to focus more on that rather than devoting time to a new stage creator. It is a pretty big feat to accomplish, so I think I'll be okay without Stage Builder.

However, I am holding out hope that maybe it will be implemented later as a free update/DLC once they have finished implementing the Season Pass content.

Last edited:

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Why are people talking like the stage designer was cut because of a lack of development time to make it? All they'd have to do is bring back the same one we had in brawl. How long would that take? I'd be fine if they didn't even add a single new feature to it and just let us make the stages we loved before. Actually my favorite stage in Smash was one I made myself. I called it "The Box" and that's kind of what it was. Only it was open (quite widely) in the middles of the left and right sides to let people out. And it had a block with two platforms branching out in the middle. Also the top was covered in spikes so you couldn't battle up there. And there were a couple up and down platforms on the exterior. I will be very very sad if I can't play it again.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Update: rumor going around saying that free Spirits and additional modes will be available after launch? Link here.
While i would LOVE this to be true... even if the new modes aren't the stage builder... i have like... 0 reason to believe this rumour :/
maybe if we get a DLC character announcment on the VGA, i may be more inclined to blieve it ...

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
If it doesn't come back, I'm fine. Both versions of stage builder had qualities I liked, but both had their negative points. Below would be what I would have.

*From Brawl*
Backgrounds
Stage elements
"Drag and drop style"

*From Wii U*
Stage size
More backgrounds
More stage elements
Freestyle mode
Uniform texture on stage foreground

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The title says it all. I'm very worried about the possibility that SSBU will not even HAVE a custom stage designer. As I haven't heard anything about it yet. Really how can you call it the "Ultimate Smash Bros." without giving us back all our favorite home-made stages from Brawl? So far there's nothing referring to stage designers on the official site either. Is it just as a matter of oversight that it's gone unmentioned or is it simply OUT of the game for this iteration?
They can call the game what they want, it doesn't confirm the inclusion of any particular content (especially considering it's not even called Ultimate in Japanese).

Anyway, it seems like several other side modes, it's absent in this game. Not surprising, it was a mode that people never fully satisfied with and they were busy with making 100 real stages.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
The stage builder needs a rework to even compete with the myriad of stages available in Ultimate. Specifically it needs less restrictions and more parts to work with. I would like the ability to take existing stages and edit them, for one.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Oof...

Rest in Peace stage builder. Used to be my friend group's tradition to play in "Bounce House" in Brawl and "Bounce House 2.0" in Smash 4. It was the largest stage that was mostly a big box with gaps in the upper corners and the very top, plus a few ledges on the side and spikes/lava on the top. ( 2.0 had moving platforms in the middle and canons in the center gap ) Got it's name because Damage would always reach insane numbers and a good smash would send people bouncing off the walls. 3 stock matches usually lasted a good long while and scoring a KO actually took some precision skills.

It's a sad day knowing I'm not going to be able to continue that tradition with Ultimate.

I will be honest though... Bounce House was the only custom stage I would play more than two or three times. Stage Builder was very limited.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
After see games like Little Big Planet or Mario Maker, that you have freedom to create incredible levels, and see the stage creation tool in Smash, that you can just create some fixed plataforms and have less than 10 options of objects to add on scenarios, being most of them just the same object thing with variations in size, I really don't understand the passion for that tool.

I simply dont understand the lack of options of objects, even if it's just ornamental stuff. There are so many objects in basically all stages that could be avaible to be inserted in custom levels... if it's not to provide a good design tool, I really dont think I will miss this.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
After see games like Little Big Planet or Mario Maker, that you have freedom to create incredible levels, and see the stage creation tool in Smash, that you can just create some fixed plataforms and have less than 10 options of objects to add on scenarios, being most of them just the same object thing with variations in size, I really don't understand the passion for that tool.

I simply dont understand the lack of options of objects, even if it's just ornamental stuff. There are so many objects in basically all stages that could be avaible to be inserted in custom levels... if it's not to provide a good design tool, I really dont think I will miss this.
Believe me, I would love a LBP-esque level editor, but I'm willing to make do with something simpler.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
NintendoLife just confirmed that Home Run Contest is absent, claiming that it is the most notable omission from the game.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
The title says it all.
Sadly. I never could use it unless I was with friends because the AI tends to be stupid and it wasn't available online for obvious reasons, but it was still nice to have as it allowed me to screw around with friends and what not.

I remembered creating a map specifically for the reason to fight with Rocket Belts on.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I could see them including it as DLC, paid or free.The amount of modes they cut seems pretty bizarre.

I never got to play Smash Wii U so I definitely would like better Stage builder than Brawl.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, good riddance.
It has always been limited and uninspired.
It always felt tacked on.
Unless they completely rework it into an actual functioning stage builder without needless limits, it's nothing worth crying over.

We have 103+ stages now, do we honestly need a lackluster crusty stage building mode?

Maybe in the future more content could be added to the game, but honestly, I don't see it on the top of their priority list.

Hacking the stage builder was the only way brawls stage builder was creatively intuitive.
Smash Wii U's stage builder was hot garbage. It looked neat on paper but it literally looks like they added it at the very end of development.
Dropping it along with all the other non combat oriented game modes saved them development time to focus on the main point of the game. Yes it's a party game but most of those modes are single player experiences so that argument goes out the window.

Multiplayer is Smash. Always has been.

Top Bottom