• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is That Greninja's Tongue Around His Neck?

What's around Greninja's neck?

• A scarf!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Is Greninja's tongue wrapped around his neck? Or is it a scarf?
(I'm not sure if this topic already exists in another thread, so I apologize if it does.)

I've searched online for this answer, and although many people had theories, there is still no consensus to this question. I've looked at Greninja in different games (Smash Bros. and Pokémon specifically), but I can't figure it out.

In Smash Bros., Greninja's regular color makes it look as if his pink tongue is hanging from his neck. But while using his taunts, he says something similar to "nin-ja!" Wouldn't that require a tongue to pronounce? Looking at Greninja's color variants, his tongue appears in many different colors. In some instances, his tongue is green or even white. Although those color variants aren't offical Pokémon colors, it still causes some confusion. As a final note, Greninja's tongue has a prominent line/indentation across it. Could that be a mark in where the tongue folds over? Or is it where a scarf of some sort folds over?

In Pokémon (the Amie), Greninja likes being pet on its tongue/scarf the most. Tongues have feeling, of course, but why would he like being pet there? That's kind of weird... and gross. While being pet on his tongue/scarf, his mouth opens, but I can't tell if his "tongue" is inside his mouth. Also, does Greninja have teeth? If not, his tongue would be the only way for him to mush up food and swallow it. How can he eat Poképuffs if it's hanging outside its body? Finally, his "tongue" looks abnormally large compared to his body size. Would it be possible to fit a tongue that large inside his body?

If it is his tongue, why is it hanging from his mouth like that?

What do you think? Discuss below.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Is it not officially a tongue? I thought it was. It seems fitting since frogs do have really long tongues that they use for catching prey, or attacking in Greninja's case. I always thought that it looked like a scarf to make it look more like a ninja. It would explain how it learns lick. Also, real frogs don't have teeth anyways. Who knows how he speaks with his tongue like that, but his voice does sound a bit raspy anyways.

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
It doesn't specifically state it in the games, but I believe that it is indeed Greninja's tongue acting like a scarf. It's kinda fitting with the fact that it's based on a frog, as most, if not all, frogs have a long tongue to catch their prey.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This thread is full of stupid

Fun fact: During the pre-X/Y days, when Greninja was nothing but a rumor, there were a lot of vocal people that hated Greninja because of the tongue and hoped he was fake. Some even said stupid things like "That's so unsanitary"

I'm not even joking, check out the archived threads on Serebii.net after he was leaked

Other fun fact: Both my X and Y keys on my keyboard are broken so I have to use the on screen keyboard to insert those letters and writing them is super annoying.

Edit: You guys NECRO'd this thread

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I thought the anime wasn't canon…
The events of the anime aren't canon to the games, but things like this follow GameFreak and TPCI's thorough design check process. It's official material for things like Pokémon biology and such.

Top Bottom