• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Subspace Back?

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
So, well know that one mode during the Direct that Papa Sakurai so kindly hid from us. I think you know where this is going, what do you think this new mode could be? My guess is it's going to be a new story mode of sorts. I think this because this game clearly has a lot of fan input with the inclusion of Ridley, Chrom, and K. Rool. And story mode has been one of the most highly requested things in Smash since Brawl. Of course, I think with the massive roster and stages, a story mode might be a little bit too much for one game so it could just be an adventure mode like in Melee. What are your thoughts?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
According to this guy on Twitter, the hidden mode is Spirits. That doesn't give us a lot of answers or ideas as to what it may be, so we'll have to wait for any further information. I'm personally hoping for a story mode like SSE. It's a shame it was removed from Smash 4 because people were uploading the cutscenes online, but in today's world, it's to be expected. And for what it's worth, the Subspace Emissary logo in Brawl was green as well. I'm probably just overthinking things.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I hope it's a new campaign, but not Subspace. I see Subspace as a closed story, there's no need to continue it or have a sequel. They can just make another independent story. I don't think this Meta Knight thing should come back - maybe they could add an option to play the Subspace Emissary, but I actually want a new totally different campaign, with more production value, cause Subspace while being a good attempt, is not really a great campaign at all. And if they are doing a campaign for this Ultimate game, I dont want it to be Subspace because I think a campaign for a game with so many great characters deserves more quality in level design.

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I hope it's a new campaign, but not Subspace. I see Subspace as a closed story, there's no need to continue it or have a sequel. They can just make another independent story. I don't think this Meta Knight thing should come back - maybe they could add an option to play the Subspace Emissary, but I actually want a new totally different campaign, with more production value, cause Subspace while being a good attempt, is not really a great campaign at all. And if they are doing a campaign for this Ultimate game, I dont want it to be Subspace because I think a campaign for a game with so many great characters deserves more quality in level design.
I meant mostly a new story mode, just using Subspace as an example. I think Subspace's story's over. But a new campaign could really be anything at this point, especially with a roster of this size. That is... If it's a thing at all.

D

Deleted member

Yea I feel like there are to many character to make something as great as Subspace Emissary. But hopefully they can at least make something like Melee Adventure Mode :)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
According to this guy on Twitter, the hidden mode is Spirits. That doesn't give us a lot of answers or ideas as to what it may be, so we'll have to wait for any further information.
I was wondering during the direct why two straight reveal trailers incorporated flagship characters getting killed off. It just seems so anti-Nintendo to have Mario, Luigi and classic Mega Man die on screen. Plus, Capcom would likely have something to say about Mega Man's appearance in the game, and would nix Mega Man being shown dying unless there were a valid reason for it.

My thoughts didn't immediately jump to a story mode, but I guess it makes sense? In Smash 4's buildup, the various character trailers were completely different in style, from celshaded to outright anime, but Simon's, K. Rool's and Ridley's all seem very similar in style. If you simply remove the character close-up and "______ has come to _______!" bits, these could be prerendered cutscenes for all we know.

In SSE, characters were taken and turned into trophies. If you just substitute becoming "spirits" for trophies, bam, you have a single player story mode.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering during the direct why two straight reveal trailers incorporated flagship characters getting killed off. It just seems so anti-Nintendo to have Mario, Luigi and classic Mega Man die on screen. Plus, Capcom would likely have something to say about Mega Man's appearance in the game, and would nix Mega Man being shown dying unless there were a valid reason for it.

My thoughts didn't immediately jump to a story mode, but I guess it makes sense? In Smash 4's buildup, the various character trailers were completely different in style, from celshaded to outright anime, but Simon's, K. Rool's and Ridley's all seem very similar in style. If you simply remove the character close-up and "______ has come to _______!" bits, these could be prerendered cutscenes for all we know.

In SSE, characters were taken and turned into trophies. If you just substitute becoming "spirits" for trophies, bam, you have a single player story mode.
I dunno why they'd get rid of the turning into trophies thing anyways since it's a huge part of the Smash Bros lore. I assumed the trailer deaths were for comedic or dramatic purposes to show off the characters power in Ridley's case, or as a way to put a Nintendo spin on a third party franchise like in Simon's case.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I dunno why they'd get rid of the turning into trophies thing anyways since it's a huge part of the Smash Bros lore. I assumed the trailer deaths were for comedic or dramatic purposes to show off the characters power in Ridley's case, or as a way to put a Nintendo spin on a third party franchise like in Simon's case.
But these companies are typically very protective of their IPs and how they're presented. It would have been just as easy to have Ridley scoop each of them off the bridge or knock them into the abyss, rather than show actual terminal stab wounds. Same with Luigi getting 'killed' offscreen, then have his ghost reappear.

It just seems odd. And very un-Nintendo-like.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
But these companies are typically very protective of their IPs and how they're presented. It would have been just as easy to have Ridley scoop each of them off the bridge or knock them into the abyss, rather than show actual terminal stab wounds. Same with Luigi getting 'killed' offscreen, then have his ghost reappear.

It just seems odd. And very un-Nintendo-like.
Considering the Pokedex entries in Sun and Moon, I'm not too sure. I suppose it can be seen as a hint towards a story mode. It would be pretty interesting to see Nintendo characters put into darker situations. I dunno, let's see what they have in store. And considering Bayonetta's in the game, it could very well take a darker turn anyways.

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
I feel it's most likely some quest involving rescuing/recruiting fighters to battle a villain like Tabuu. We'll likely start with the Original 8(or 12) and every recruit/rescue we get we will have the character unlocked to be used in Smash. DLC will have a sequence like in Brawl with Toon Link, Wolf and Jigglypuff where you find a door/portal to fight them in a set stage being by no means related to the story itself.

tl;dr basically just like SSE after you play as Luigi, Ness, Dedede, and Kirby and find trophies/evil versions of characters with a story mode.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I meant mostly a new story mode, just using Subspace as an example. I think Subspace's story's over. But a new campaign could really be anything at this point, especially with a roster of this size. That is... If it's a thing at all.
Then say Adventure Mode, that was the main title & Subspace was the subtitle.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
There's going to be some kind of Adventure Mode for sure. Whether it's anything like Subspace or not, who knows.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I'm beginning to come around to the idea of a new story mode. They said Rathalos was a boss, but they never gave him a stage. And the stage he was on didn't look anything like one that would be playable. I'm thinking he's a story/adventure mode boss, and they'll announce the mode in the next direct

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I think the biggest evidence supporting a new Adventure or Story Mode is how casually and briefly Rathalos' unamed stage is shown off.

Screenshot_2018-08-09-08-06-19(1).png

There is, in fact, 103 stages here, including the new Castlevania stage named Dracula's Castle. However, that one stage showing off Rathalos is nowhere to be seen on the SSS. Rathalos also doesn't seem like a typical stage boss because obviously, he shows up as an assist trophy. Less obviously, however, is how his attack pattern is much more aggressive and harder-looking to dodge than even Dracula's (interestingly, like Dracula, characters are shown fighting Rathalos one-on-one). Now for the cincher: the stage is a flat walk-off, resembling the Rayquaza and Galleom fights from Brawl's Subspace Emissary.

Questions that arise from this: why can Rathalos show up as a boss on one stage, but an assist trophy on other stages? Why is the stage the player fights him on unamed? What's with him flying in the background like Master Hand and Ridley in previous games, but also shooting these fire explosions that take up the entire stage?
Screenshot_2018-08-09-08-39-06(1).png

So yeah, this has me really hopeful that Adventure Mode is finally returning in some shape or fashion.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
There was the fact that Sakurai said that there would be a mode specifically for unlocks, which could mean a subspace styled adventure. Also evidence pointing to this: like many have mentioned, the stage that rathalos is on is definitely not showcased alongside other stages, and on top of that, there was the part where only one character was fighting him, which is impossible to do on the many multiplayer stages. Another example is the Dracula boss fight that was showcased near the beginning of the direct. The stage you fight him on is obviously different from the Dracula’s castle stage shown off for multiplayer. Add the fact that only Simon was shown here, and yet there was a second time it was shown, with both Simon and richter. Richter’s inclusion may seem like it’s completely out of left field, unless you consider that there is in fact a new story mode. Couple that with the characters getting killed off in the trailers, and you’ve got proof of a new adventure mode at the very least.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
There was the fact that Sakurai said that there would be a mode specifically for unlocks, which could mean a subspace styled adventure. Also evidence pointing to this: like many have mentioned, the stage that rathalos is on is definitely not showcased alongside other stages, and on top of that, there was the part where only one character was fighting him, which is impossible to do on the many multiplayer stages. Another example is the Dracula boss fight that was showcased near the beginning of the direct. The stage you fight him on is obviously different from the Dracula’s castle stage shown off for multiplayer. Add the fact that only Simon was shown here, and yet there was a second time it was shown, with both Simon and richter. Richter’s inclusion may seem like it’s completely out of left field, unless you consider that there is in fact a new story mode. Couple that with the characters getting killed off in the trailers, and you’ve got proof of a new adventure mode at the very least.
I know Sakurai said there would be many ways to unlock characters in Ultimate at the E3 presentation, but I don't think he mentioned anything about a mode dedicated solely to unlocking characters.
Other than that, I agree with most of this. To add to it, the way one can tell how this stage differs from Dracula's Castle is the way the camera pans and zooms out.
Screenshot_2018-08-10-21-43-47(1).png

This is the boss fight zoomed out as far as the in-game camera allows. Note how close the character is flying towards the edge of the screen and how there is no drop-off visible here. There are also no platforms to be seen.

Compare that to this:

This is the stage shown on the Stage Select Screen. Note how there are steps going down to a drop-off and how the outside of the castle is visible. There are also a couple platforms that can be seen here.

The biggest discrepancy of all, however, is that the throne is nowhere to be seen in Dracula's Castle. It only appears in the boss fight with him and in his in-game intro animation where he rises from it. Dracula isn't shown on the actual stage itself other than being mere shadow. Sakurai says "Under what conditions will he appear? Time will tell," which leads me to believe he falls under some sort of unlockable condition. My theory is that like Rathalos, Dracula isn't actually a boss character tied to the stage, but actually an assist trophy. Sakurai said that Rathalos is the first character to appear as both a boss and an assist trophy, but he didn't say he was the only one.

I used to think Brawl showcased the fighters in the most brutal and serious setting, but the tone that's being set for Ultimate may make it actually more serious than Brawl. This in turn makes me hopeful for a serious campaign.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question: Would you be disappointed if all the cinematic cutscenes we've had so far were reused in a story mode?

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Here's a question: Would you be disappointed if all the cinematic cutscenes we've had so far were reused in a story mode?
I wouldn't care. If they let me run through a Castlevania-themed stage as Link, I would be so happy either way.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I'd love a campaign with gameplay akin to Hollow Knight. Exploration through an open-ended world with mysterious enemies after every turn. Ofc, it'd more colorful and have different core mechanics, but still it'd be nice if it was similar

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I think the biggest evidence supporting a new Adventure or Story Mode is how casually and briefly Rathalos' unamed stage is shown off.

View attachment 156578

There is, in fact, 103 stages here, including the new Castlevania stage named Dracula's Castle. However, that one stage showing off Rathalos is nowhere to be seen on the SSS. Rathalos also doesn't seem like a typical stage boss because obviously, he shows up as an assist trophy. Less obviously, however, is how his attack pattern is much more aggressive and harder-looking to dodge than even Dracula's (interestingly, like Dracula, characters are shown fighting Rathalos one-on-one). Now for the cincher: the stage is a flat walk-off, resembling the Rayquaza and Galleom fights from Brawl's Subspace Emissary.

Questions that arise from this: why can Rathalos show up as a boss on one stage, but an assist trophy on other stages? Why is the stage the player fights him on unamed? What's with him flying in the background like Master Hand and Ridley in previous games, but also shooting these fire explosions that take up the entire stage?

So yeah, this has me really hopeful that Adventure Mode is finally returning in some shape or fashion.
it be weird to have him as a boss and summoned as an assist trophy at the same time

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
These cutscenes are beautiful, I'll be disappointed if there aren't in the game

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
it be weird to have him as a boss and summoned as an assist trophy at the same time
Are you talking about Rathalos or about Dracula? For Rathalos, they showed him in an unamed arena that isn't on the Stage Select Screen. For Dracula, the version of the castle he's shown in for his boss fight is visibly different from the Dracula's Castle stage on the SSS, leading me to believe he isn't a boss character tied to the stage itself. Therefore, I don't think there will be a scenario where a boss character and an assist trophy show up at the same time because the Dracula and Rathalos boss fights are only shown in their exclusive stages.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Are you talking about Rathalos or about Dracula? For Rathalos, they showed him in an unamed arena that isn't on the Stage Select Screen. For Dracula, the version of the castle he's shown in for his boss fight is visibly different from the Dracula's Castle stage on the SSS, leading me to believe he isn't a boss character tied to the stage itself. Therefore, I don't think there will be a scenario where a boss character and an assist trophy show up at the same time because the Dracula and Rathalos boss fights are only shown in their exclusive stages.
that was what I was getting at, they have to be separate from each other

Top Bottom