• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash Really balanced

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I sometimes wonder if this game is as balanced as I initially thought, asleast for light characters. I like how every character has been sped up, but I feel the smaller characters in this game are unbalanced. Take for example, young link, pichu, kirby. Alot of the lighter weight characters that die easily, lack range , and kill power, good recovery. Their attributes dont balance out these qualities. I think in previous smash games it was the heavy characters that were the most unbalanced, but now I feel its the light characters.

I feel the range , speed , and power is off here. Like it doesnt seem to make sense that joker is sheik fast, with range, and power. Im not sure what they were thinking for some of these characters, but anyway I just wanted to rant. I may be alone in my train of thought.

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
For one, I don't think YLink or Pichu are bad characters at all right now. I think an important distinction to make here is the skill floor of some characters. It is much harder to pick up and play characters like Young Link versus somebody "easy" like Bowser. It's difficult to argue that Bowser is some uber-viable character, but outside of high-tier play, he can work really well. On the same coin, Young Link is not going to seem like a good character unless you or the people you're playing against can really spend a lot of time with him.

In the end, some characters are simply going to be better than others. When you have a game with such different abilities in every single character, some are going to drift up or down the tier list naturally. You're definitely right on Kirby. Even if some players can make him work fantastically well, he is certainly not as realistically good as somebody like Joker. Does this mean the game is unbalanced? No, in my opinion. I think this is one of the most balanced Smash settings we've seen when compared to how polarizingly good characters like Bayonetta, MK, or spacies were in previous entries. I don't think the game is perfectly balanced by any means, but I don't think it's "unbalanced" to any major degree.

Top Bottom