• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash Boards Community Less Popular?

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I notice the character boards are nearly empty, atleast for characters I go to it's months before a single post sometimes. Are people going somewhere else to discuss smash because smashboards was the place to be for discussing info on characters/ect. Now it seems so different

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
No....?

It's just that on this forum in particular certain topics have been exhausted to the point where the mods lock threads that pertain to those topics, or people just don't discuss them.

On another note, around this time of year is when a lot of school districts are wrapping up the first quarter, so it may just be that people have tests to study for and are spending less time online.

GhostM

Phantom
I feel like it’s mainly because of the rise of applications such as Discord that can easily connect you with others and can allow your questions and info to be shared/asked rather than waiting for hours on end just to get a reply from someone. Ever since then, smashboards is still sort of active but not as much as it used to be anymore like its prime back around the Brawl era.

D

Deleted member

I can only agree on one thing:

Smash Community on Facebook is many levels below toxic.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
On another note, around this time of year is when a lot of school districts are wrapping up the first quarter, so it may just be that people have tests to study for and are spending less time online.
Very much this. The closer the semester is coming to a close, more people are busy studying. And this is coming from a graduate student

Neoxon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoxon
Switch FC
1178 5806 0406
Personally, I’ve taken a bit of a backseat when it comes to character speculation for a number of reasons (the growing lack of gender & racial diversity being two of them). Though I’ve usually gone to ResetEra, Twitter, or Discord for such discussions. Basically areas where I’d be discussing other topics anyway.

UserKev

Smash Champion
There basically is nothing to discuss if you don't want to discuss DLC leaks. It doesn't help some honestly great threads were locked, eventually turned dramatic but were still interesting.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I never really used discord but once. To me it seems like a chat room no? The character discussions forumns have been dead all year round though, i miss the guides and things like that

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I never really used discord but once. To me it seems like a chat room no? The character discussions forumns have been dead all year round though, i miss the guides and things like that
Yes, that's exactly what it is. Forums are 00's technology and have long been going by the wayside.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Honestly, I still prefer forums to discord. Discord encourages short quick statements rather than actual thought out posts and if multiple people are posting, it gets hard to follow the conversation quick.

That, and it's not as easy to go back and catch what you missed.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I still prefer forums to discord. Discord encourages short quick statements rather than actual thought out posts and if multiple people are posting, it gets hard to follow the conversation quick.

That, and it's not as easy to go back and catch what you missed.
Yeah thats what I was going to say. With discord being more of a chat room like environment are there like guides and things that people post you can check out for future reference ? And dont you need to be invited to even get in? We had a discord at work we used but it just seemed to be a chat room im not sure how's its more advantageous. I feel like forumn is a website you can reference and discord seems to be like texting someone in a group chat.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Yeah thats what I was going to say. With discord being more of a chat room like environment are there like guides and things that people post you can check out for future reference ? And dont you need to be invited to even get in? We had a discord at work we used but it just seemed to be a chat room im not sure how's its more advantageous. I feel like forumn is a website you can reference and discord seems to be like texting someone in a group chat.
Yes, there are permanent guides, and no, you don't need to be invited.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Yes, there are permanent guides, and no, you don't need to be invited.
Hmmm I guess Im just not getting it. Im a YL player for example and I searched for a YL discord on google. Joined it but i see nothing on the character or guides or anything. I also joined a smash ultimate discord (you were right you dont have to be invited ) but Im supremely confused as to where all the guides and info are hiding. Discord seems a bit all over the place but Im trying to understand it if this is where the info is suppose to be.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I’ve noticed this myself. The ganon board is practically dead. No matchup charts are really up anymore, no discussions going on about how to handle certain characters, nothing.

Discord servers are not ideal, sure it’s ok for socializing, but when it comes to the nitty gritty of discussing matchups, strategies, etc, these things are best on an active board, where the information can easily be organized and found. You can’t do that on a discord.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Hmmm I guess Im just not getting it. Im a YL player for example and I searched for a YL discord on google. Joined it but i see nothing on the character or guides or anything. I also joined a smash ultimate discord (you were right you dont have to be invited ) but Im supremely confused as to where all the guides and info are hiding. Discord seems a bit all over the place but Im trying to understand it if this is where the info is suppose to be.
Click the link in my above post. That leads to the list of OFFICIAL, non-Google-search, actually-populated Discord servers where character mains congregate. Once in, there's most likely a rules post that you have to read and follow the instructions of before all of the actual discussion areas will appear, including the guides and resources.

Discord servers are not ideal, sure it’s ok for socializing, but when it comes to the nitty gritty of discussing matchups, strategies, etc, these things are best on an active board, where the information can easily be organized and found. You can’t do that on a discord.
You can easily do all of those things in a Discord channel. The fact that you don't think organized, permanent information can be found on one tells me you've never been on one. I advise you try it out, or else continue complaining to nobody on empty forums.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I like both for different reasons.

I find the forums more relaxing to browse, and find the forums better for writing very well-thought-out, lengthy posts or arguments that would exceed Discord's character limit or be quickly buried by single sentence replies.

Discord is definitely better for quick feedback and actual conversations. It's also better for many social functions.

I use Discord a lot, but do wish the Smashboards would see a bit of a resurgence in popularity.

Top Bottom