• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash 64 the Best Way to Learn Smash?

Trueace004

Smash Rookie
To me, it is, and here's why.

There are a total of 12 characters in the game. This means that it is much easier to master every single character, unlike Melee or anything newer. Another good aspect is that there are much less matchups to learn. For instance, in Smash 64 there are 132 total matchups. This may seem like a lot until you compare it to Smash 4's 3308 matchups. There is no way to master all 58 characters in Sm4sh, and especially no way to learn all the matchups for every character.

To add onto the character argument, the cast is very balanced. In Melee, about 10/26 characters are actually viable. In Brawl, only the top 5. But in 64, although Pikachu and Kirby are definitely the best, the rest of the cast is still viable.

There are only 3 specials for each character. Again, not a huge difference from the 4 specials in the other games, but this just makes it easier to master a character. There are less things you need to learn to play a character. Not much else on this topic.

Another small thing. The game has a very slow engine, not unlike Brawl. For a game like Melee, you have to react to everything at the speed of light. In Smash 64, you can take things slow and think about what you are doing before doing it. To be able to make good decisions in Melee, you have to be very experienced and know all the ins and outs of the game.

Finally, there is very little tech. Mostly Z-Canceling and Pivoting. These are really not that hard to learn. Melee, on the other hand, has Wavedashing, L canceling, Moonwalking, Multishining, Waveshining, Wobbling, and Chaingrabbing. Those are just some examples, but I think you get the point. There is just less to learn how to do in 64.

Overall, Smash 64 has less to do, so you can get very good at it, and if you want, move onto another game. To me, 64 teaches the basics of Smash. Tell me what you think.

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
I agree in that this game is more basic, but you can learn these things and more in newer ones.

Annex

Smash Ace
Another good aspect is that there are much less matchups to learn. For instance, in Smash 64 there are 132 total matchups. This may seem like a lot until you compare it to Smash 4's 3308 matchups. There is no way to master all 58 characters in Sm4sh, and especially no way to learn all the matchups for every character.

To add onto the character argument, the cast is very balanced. In Melee, about 10/26 characters are actually viable. In Brawl, only the top 5. But in 64, although Pikachu and Kirby are definitely the best, the rest of the cast is still viable.
i think these two points work against eachother a bit, don't you? theres less characters, but since the characters are more balanced there's more relevant mu's to learn for each character. also, unlike melee where the mu chart is basically just the tier list, there are weird low tiers that do quite well vs top tiers

Finally, there is very little tech. Mostly Z-Canceling and Pivoting. These are really not that hard to learn. Melee, on the other hand, has Wavedashing, L canceling, Moonwalking, Multishining, Waveshining, Wobbling, and Chaingrabbing. Those are just some examples, but I think you get the point. There is just less to learn how to do in 64.
one big thing people overlook about 64 is that some banal things that exist in other games are harder in this one, mostly due to not having a c-stick, not being able to turn tap jump off, and that the tech we do have has been pushed farther or is more essential. this could be a point in support of your argument

sdi especially, being a much bigger deal in this game and not having a c-stick, is harder to learn, and without normal di its more essential. however, 64 has sdi tech that does not transfer to other games (ledge di and reverse ledge di) so that would be a waste to learn, i guess. SHFFLs are harder not being able to ff during an aerial, but not in a way that would help you for other games. pivoting is a huge deal in 64, and its important to be able to pivot at any length of your dash, more than any other game (and in some you dont even have an option for pivot length). pivot utilts especially take a bit to learn, since you cant turn tap jump off or buffer up during the turnaround. thats the same idea for runoff dairs. in other games you can use the c-stick, but in 64 you have to be very careful not to fastfall, which is an SD for any character. multishining exists in 64 btw, it's just performed by landing with shine rather than jumping out of it. this means that you can shineland onto platforms, but landing with shine is not relevant to other games

pivot ledgegrabs are a big deal in 64 since you cant grab the ledge while facing away, but of course that doesnt transfer. taunt cancelling allows you to stop your momentum at the end of a teeter-able ledge, and only gets used in top level play. afaik that doesnt transfer to other games either

the start of yoshis double jump drops him down a bit, and if you land during that it will cancel your jump. this allows you to double jump land onto side plats. i dont think thats in other games but i might be mistaken

an argument could be made about z-cancelling vs l-cancelling. 64 does not have tech lockout, but i dont believe thats very relevant because players dont (and shouldnt) be mashing for techs. the tech window is 11 frames in 64 vs 7 in melee, which is significant, but that timing is easy to mess up with the amount of hitlag in the game. i do think its easier in 64 but it isnt clear cut

i will say though that i am confused about the entire premise of the post. i feel like any evidence presented about 64 being "harder" or "easier" would serve to prove how it's a good smash game to start with. if something is easier in 64 then it's a good warmup to when its harder in other games, but at the same time if something is harder in 64 then it's going to make you very prepared for when it's easier in other games? i dont know. theyre different. i think if you want to learn a smash game then go learn it. if you want to learn them all then start with whatever your friends are playing

btw, FINALLY, IN CONCLUSION the 5 paragraph essay format taught in public schools is really annoying. i recommend unlearning it asap. good post though

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
To me, it is, and here's why.

There are a total of 12 characters in the game. This means that it is much easier to master every single character, unlike Melee or anything newer. Another good aspect is that there are much less matchups to learn. For instance, in Smash 64 there are 132 total matchups. This may seem like a lot until you compare it to Smash 4's 3308 matchups. There is no way to master all 58 characters in Sm4sh, and especially no way to learn all the matchups for every character.

There are only 3 specials for each character. Again, not a huge difference from the 4 specials in the other games, but this just makes it easier to master a character. There are less things you need to learn to play a character. Not much else on this topic.

Another small thing. The game has a very slow engine, not unlike Brawl. For a game like Melee, you have to react to everything at the speed of light. In Smash 64, you can take things slow and think about what you are doing before doing it. To be able to make good decisions in Melee, you have to be very experienced and know all the ins and outs of the game.

Overall, Smash 64 has less to do, so you can get very good at it, and if you want, move onto another game. To me, 64 teaches the basics of Smash. Tell me what you think.
to me it's the best way to learn about Smash, it's just slightly boring after 2 years. It's amazing if you can actually get 4 players to play and make your own rules, like lightsabers only in Sector Z.

Top Bottom