• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is smash 64 still good to invest time in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostM

Phantom
I’ve been lurking around in this forum section for quite a while now, and one of my questions is if it’s still worth investing time in smash 64. I’ve played every single smash title, but only play competitively in Melee and Ultimate, but a heavy emphasis on competitive Melee. I’ve excluded brawl because brawl competitive isn’t my cup of tea. I’ve played Smash 64 before, but more towards casual play. I’m asking this question because I enjoy how hitstun is the mechanic of Smash 64, which allows every character to have a combo game. I enjoy the game, but I feel like it’s going to be difficult to adapt to, since there is a smaller move set and only 1 viable stage for competitive play. I’ve had to deal with adapting to newer smash titles, as playing Melee competitively caused me to have a huge emphasis on wavedashing and L-canceling, which you can’t perform in newer titles.

I’m still stuck on whether I should give Smash 64 a shot to maybe play competitively. With the shortage of viable maps and a smaller move set, it’s difficult for me to decide. The smaller cast isn’t a problem for me, because I main Falcon on pretty much every title. I don’t have an N64 controller, so playing the game with a GameCube controller is illegal. If I do decide to play smash 64 competitively, I might have to fork out some money to get an adapter to play the game on an actual Wii and for PC to play online against people.

SSb64champ

Smash Cadet
I’ve been lurking around in this forum section for quite a while now, and one of my questions is if it’s still worth investing time in smash 64. I’ve played every single smash title, but only play competitively in Melee and Ultimate, but a heavy emphasis on competitive Melee. I’ve excluded brawl because brawl competitive isn’t my cup of tea. I’ve played Smash 64 before, but more towards casual play. I’m asking this question because I enjoy how hitstun is the mechanic of Smash 64, which allows every character to have a combo game. I enjoy the game, but I feel like it’s going to be difficult to adapt to, since there is a smaller move set and only 1 viable stage for competitive play. I’ve had to deal with adapting to newer smash titles, as playing Melee competitively caused me to have a huge emphasis on wavedashing and L-canceling, which you can’t perform in newer titles.

I’m still stuck on whether I should give Smash 64 a shot to maybe play competitively. With the shortage of viable maps and a smaller move set, it’s difficult for me to decide. The smaller cast isn’t a problem for me, because I main Falcon on pretty much every title. I don’t have an N64 controller, so playing the game with a GameCube controller is illegal. If I do decide to play smash 64 competitively, I might have to fork out some money to get an adapter to play the game on an actual Wii and for PC to play online against people.
No its not in short. Barely anyone plays online anymore besides trolls and console tournaments are expensive to travel to. So basically don't play ssb64 competitively unless you are very well off and can afford to spends hundreds and thousands of dollars to travel to console tourneys with no chance to win any of it back.

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
I wouldn't recommend it if you're really not that sure because it costs money and time which you wont get back. I would only recommend it if you love Smash 64 without a doubt. Tournaments also dont happen that often and they can all be far away.

GhostM

Phantom
I wouldn't recommend it if you're really not that sure because it costs money and time which you wont get back. I would only recommend it if you love Smash 64 without a doubt. Tournaments also dont happen that often and they can all be far away.
Eh I can understand your point, especially about the tournament portion. There isn’t really much of a scene here where I live when it comes to any smash bros title, so going out of state would be a hassle. I was thinking about maybe playing online with net play.

No its not in short. Barely anyone plays online anymore besides trolls and console tournaments are expensive to travel to. So basically don't play ssb64 competitively unless you are very well off and can afford to spends hundreds and thousands of dollars to travel to console tourneys with no chance to win any of it back.
I can also understand your points here too, as spending tons of hours and forming out a lot of money to play a game professionally is a hassle. I would maybe have to look at the online portion, as I’m not sure if you’re speaking from the perspective of anthers ladder or some groups that you can find online. Smash 64 is a combo heavy game, and one mistake can cost you an entire stock.

SSb64champ

Smash Cadet
If you wish to play online here is the discord where they set up matches: https://discordapp.com/invite/ssb64

Most players avoid the main kaillera server and do p2p matches, you may find a handful of people you can play regularly but the online playerbase is nothing like it was say 10 years ago.

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
Smash 64 is still worth playing if you're thinking about picking it up. It's a rewarding but punishing game with some of the most satisfying movement out of all of the smash games. Gamecube controllers are actually legal to play with and there are adapters that are made so you can play with them for n64 games. There are actually quite a handful of good players that only play with the GC controller.

GhostM

Phantom
Smash 64 is still worth playing if you're thinking about picking it up. It's a rewarding but punishing game with some of the most satisfying movement out of all of the smash games. Gamecube controllers are actually legal to play with and there are adapters that are made so you can play with them for n64 games. There are actually quite a handful of good players that only play with the GC controller.
I didn’t know that GameCube controllers were legal. I always thought they were illegal because it was easier to move around and perform attacks faster such as Dair to Uair because of the Z button. If that’s the case then I’d rather use an actual N64 controller because playing Smash 64 on a GameCube controller feels awkward and it messes me up in other Smash games because of tap jumping and muscle memory from playing 64.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I didn’t know that GameCube controllers were legal. I always thought they were illegal because it was easier to move around and perform attacks faster such as Dair to Uair because of the Z button. If that’s the case then I’d rather use an actual N64 controller because playing Smash 64 on a GameCube controller feels awkward and it messes me up in other Smash games because of tap jumping and muscle memory from playing 64.
Every controller is legal as long as:

A: No Macros
B: No extra buttons (outside of one extra Z button as Horis have 2)

There are people using xbox controllers and keyboards.

GhostM

Phantom
Every controller is legal as long as:

A: No Macros
B: No extra buttons (outside of one extra Z button as Horis have 2)

There are people using xbox controllers and keyboards.
Even keyboards too? I quite honestly thought keyboards weren’t even an option. I already sort of knew that Xbox controllers were used, but adapters would have to be purchased to make them compatible with the N64.

D

Deleted member

My controller stick is getting loose, I'm thinking of switching to another controller.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes, I play the first Super Smash Bros. when I want a trip down memory lane.

I still have the game. I recall when I was younger; I use to spend many hours on this game. I kept picking Sector Z and Saffron City because those are my favorite stages.

Pikachu was my main back when the roster was limited, I use to spam his powerful down special so many times. Whenever I sent opponents flying away with Pikachu’s thunder, I recall the sound effect where the crowd would scream. It was so fun hearing those “OHHHH’s” or “AAAHHHH’s”.

Since this game, the Super Smash Bros. sequels that came after it have improved the gameplay, graphics, and put in so much more characters and other things; you will be busy being preoccupied with the sequels before going back to this one sometimes.

But, this game will always have a special place in my heart.

SSb64champ

Smash Cadet
Since this game, the Super Smash Bros. sequels that came after it have improved the gameplay, graphics, and put in so much more characters and other things;
Im sorry but just because the other games are newer doesnt mean they improved the gameplay. ssb64 is still the best smash game

Mr.Dale

Smash Rookie
sorry bud online is where all the good players are at and it doesn't cost a cent

and ps the newer smash games ARE BETTER the only people who play this game are people who's primitive brains can't understand how to not mindlessly hit shield :p

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
sorry bud online is where all the good players are at and it doesn't cost a cent

and ps the newer smash games ARE BETTER the only people who play this game are people who's primitive brains can't understand how to not mindlessly hit shield :p
U have gay.

SSb64champ

Smash Cadet

lol dumb troll thinks games with no combos are better than 64. you sound like a typical 9 year old who thinks brawl is better just because it has better graphics and more characters.

GhostM

Phantom
One question I have that’s still on this topic, but if all controllers are considered legal except for more than 2 Z buttons and a macros, is custom controller mapping legal? This question only applies to netplay since you can’t really do this on an actual tournament.

What I’m trying to do is change the functions of the C-Stick so that they perform tilt moves instead of just all of the c-stick inputs being jumping, since the Y button is my preferred option for jumps and short hops. Personally, I find it more difficult to use the A-button to perform tilts instead of C-stick, but I’m not sure if this is legal to do or not, since I feel like tilts still count as macros. It’s alright if it’s not legal, since I guess I just have to play more to get used to it.

Only other issue is that using XPadder to map the keyboard controls of Project 64 for SSB64 on to my GC controller doesn’t actually map the correct button for the move even though the keyboard options tell me otherwise. (i.e. mapping the key for grab onto my z button on the GC controller actually maps a different button that performs a completely different action like shielding instead of grabbing).

Last edited:

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
One question I have that’s still on this topic, but if all controllers are considered legal except for more than 2 Z buttons and a macros, is custom controller mapping legal? This question only applies to netplay since you can’t really do this on an actual tournament.

What I’m trying to do is change the functions of the C-Stick so that they perform tilt moves instead of just all of the c-stick inputs being jumping, since the Y button is my preferred option for jumps and short hops. Personally, I find it more difficult to use the A-button to perform tilts instead of C-stick, but I’m not sure if this is legal to do or not, since I feel like tilts still count as macros. It’s alright if it’s not legal, since I guess I just have to play more to get used to it.

Only other issue is that using XPadder to map the keyboard controls of Project 64 for SSB64 on to my GC controller doesn’t actually map the correct button for the move even though the keyboard options tell me otherwise. (i.e. mapping the key for grab onto my z button on the GC controller actually maps a different button that performs a completely different action like shielding instead of grabbing).
From what birra has said basically every tourney allows keyboard adapters and kb adapter marcos that are strictly analog range and not combinations of buttons or rapid fire.

I would say ban it all, and in ur case plenty of people have used Gamecube controllers over the years, if ur wanting to add some marcos to it you should just use a plugin that supports it like nrage unless ur forced to use some weird gc adapter input.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
lol dumb troll thinks games with no combos are better than 64. you sound like a typical 9 year old who thinks brawl is better just because it has better graphics and more characters.
Brawl hacks have 1000x the graphics than smash64 and are far superior in their level of complexity and mindgames.

Mr.Dale

Smash Rookie

Thats not allowed in tournament

Last edited:

Mr.Dale

Smash Rookie
Besides not looking like ****ty playdoh the games require a high level of intelligence and pattern recognition. Sorry but you should stick to 64

D

Deleted member

Are you open to just playing the game for fun, or is it strictly a competitive pursuit?

Last edited by a moderator:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Aside from the several month bump & double posting, the trash talk here definitely crosses some lines. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom