• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash 4 the ideal smash game?

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
I've seen people say it is the best game, and I've heard it is the worst. So I'm going to srttle this debate once and for all. Does smash 4 outdo their predecessors?

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I say heck yeah! It was definitely a step in the right direction from Brawl. No more random tripping, no cloying focus on defense, slightly faster gameplay. Now as a noncompetitive player, having some 66 fighters (including Alph and the Koopalings) and over 50 stages and lots more game modes will give y'all days of fun and exploration.

Now, in terms of high-level competitive play, Smash 4 has more favorable physics but still too similar to Brawl, which can explain why tournaments usually do two-stock as opposed to three. If anything, only Melee smokes this game for its faster gameplay, better physics for ATs, and being more offense-oriented.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It is definitely better than the previous Smash games (even though I slightly prefer Brawl), but I don't think it's the "ideal" Smash Bros.. It, like the games before it, has it's flaws.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's currently ideal in that there is hit stun, combos, patches, more viable characters. Melee had hit stun and combos, but was without patches and limited with viable characters. It seemed only Captain Falcon, Falco, Fox, Ice Climbers, Marth, and Sheik were the best. Brawl suffered severely with Meta Knight. Your only best options were Meta Knight, Snake, or Diddy Kong. Sm4sh has Bayonetta, Cloud, Diddy Kong, Fox, Mario, Marth, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Rosalina, Ryu, Sheik, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Your only best options were Meta Knight, Snake, or Diddy Kong. Sm4sh has Bayonetta, Cloud, Diddy Kong, Fox, Mario, Marth, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Rosalina, Ryu, Sheik, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus.
It may be my bias, but I think you can throw in MK and Yoshi with that list, as well as Luigi (though under-represented since the patch)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Sm4sh has Bayonetta, Cloud, Diddy Kong, Fox, Mario, Marth, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Rosalina, Ryu, Sheik, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus.
Not even just them. There are mid to mid-high tier characters perfectly capable of winning tournaments, like Corrin or Captain Falcon.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
SSB4 is definitely a big improvement in terms of balance patches, characters (even though some are considered unreasonable), and maybe perhaps over Brawl in general, but it's still not the perfect Smash game.

SSB4 could use some more balance patches, replay-ability, and probably many more, but it's still good. Just has some cons that some people don't agree that holds it back from being over Melee and Project M.

But that's just me. Ideal is ambiguous since alot of people have different opinions and expectations, but it definitely does outdo it's predecessors. (at least in my opinion)

Agitato

Smash Cadet
NNID
AgitatoEX
3DS FC
1822-1384-9573
That's a difficult question to answer because of how subjective the response can be. I personally don't think so. Despite the addition of hitstun, loss of tripping, and better balance, this game has an uglier (IMO) art/animation style, not enough attacks that autocancel, and moves like certain Smashes and rolls that should have a decent amount of ending lag but somehow don't. Sakurai also made sure to cut a lot of tech from Brawl, which was disappointing.

If I had to rank "ideal" Smash games, it would be something like this:

1. Melee
2. Brawl/Smash 4
3. Smash 64

While my personal favorites would look like this:

1. Brawl
2. Melee
3. Smash 64
4. Smash 4

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
It's all personal preference, but I think it holds it's own with melee. It's better in some ways, worse in others.

A3DAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
Adawg369
Switch FC
SW-7637-0451-5705
Smash 4 is definitely the ideal smash bros. It has solid controls, huge character roster, and is still fun and competitive. And also you can play it on the go with the 3DS version!

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
It depends on your personality and skill level. If you want to play with friends in a slow paced environment then brawl is the one. If you want to become a new player in the competitive scene or have a bigger party then Smash 4 is the one for you. And if you want fast paced action then stick to melee.

ShogunTBone

Smash Rookie
I think so. Ideal is subjective but I wouldn't say there isn't something holding it back like the other games: Brawl being too slow, Melee having a skill gap, etc.

Combined with the roster and fluid controls it's definitely the most accessible too

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some things could've been handled better. Also, I've often found that certain fighter attributes just weren't good enough for my tastes.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
It really depends on how you look at it. As a game, I'd argue that Brawl is the best. Adventure mode, a more fun (to me) stage creator, and more relaxed gameplay make it the most enjoyable to play for fun.

On the other hand, from a competitive viewpoint (balance, combos, etc.) it could really go either way between Melee or 4 or P:M, depending on your preference.

Last edited:

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Really, in my opinion, if you like using what the devs intentionally gave you, play sm4sh. If you want to find exploits with certain moves/mechanics, (nothing wrong with that, as that's just how the meta is) play melee.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Nah.

There's no such thing as "ideal" smash game. No smash game has done a class-based fighter well yet. Melee is the only smash game to be a reliable equivalent of marvel (brawl could've been another had its game mechanics and balance been fixed). Smash 4 is the only smash game that's the equivalent of ST. 64 is too defensive. Smash 4 could've had a lot more improvements (special smash online for one).

There's different things for different peopel

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
I agree that brawl would be the ideal smash game.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
In my opinion, Project M is the ideal smash game, although it's a community modification more than anything, it's so distinct it's basically its own game.

My reasons lie mostly in replay-ability, depth of gameplay, and fantastic character development. (who doesn't want to play as ninja Squirtle?)

Widget

Smash Rookie
NNID
ocharinaoftime25
Smash 4 strikes a great balance between competitive and casual play, making it the best Smash game for the most players. It's an extremely accessible, and doesn't isolate players like Melee, but it's also much more interesting to watch and play competitively than Brawl.

Top Bottom